Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap dentistry in Auckland

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800

Cheap dentistry in Auckland

I bust another tooth today, must be number six I think, I have lost count.

Does anyone know any options for really cheap dentistry in Auckland? Like as in REALLY REALLY cheap - my existing dentist is fairly cheap, but is still measured in the hundreds of dollars for most things, and would be thousands for the work that I need done. And besides, all of my fillings that are falling out were put in by him in the first place, might be time to shop around.

Or is my best option to find a cheap source of bulk paracetamol?
    Redefining slow since 2006...

Bike
    nothing :(
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    I bust another tooth today, must be number six I think, I have lost count.

Does anyone know any options for really cheap dentistry in Auckland? Like as in REALLY REALLY cheap - my existing dentist is fairly cheap, but is still measured in the hundreds of dollars for most things, and would be thousands for the work that I need done. And besides, all of my fillings that are falling out were put in by him in the first place, might be time to shop around.

Or is my best option to find a cheap source of bulk paracetamol?
    Yeah come see me i got hammer yesterday
    Second is the fastest loser

"It is better to have ridden & crashed than never to have ridden at all" by Bruce Bennett

DB is the new Porridge. Cause most of the mods must be sucking his cock ..... Or his giving them some oral help? How else can you explain it?

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma51 View Post
    Yeah come see me i got hammer yesterday
    Got a hammer, or got hammered?

Tried that, it doesn't work, long term

Bike
    2007 Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm
    ive been told going overseas is a good option for dentistry. Fiji apparently has good dentists that wont ask for a house as deposit. I suggest get as much money together as possible and go there to get all your work sorted in one hit.
    That, or look to lower socio economic areas of Daukland/ rest of NZ for dentists that expect you to be a beneficiary.
    "I saw, I came, I conquered".

Bike
    GL1800
    If you need extensive work - consider a "Dental Holiday" - either Thailand ( www.gracedentalclinic.com ) or India (Goa www.goadentallounge.com )

Don't laugh!

As I am based in the Middle East presently, I have holidayed in both these spots and taken advantage of their world class dentistry and great rates, eg, a top quality porcelain veneer was made and fitted in beautiful Goa for $NZ274 - add a grand in NZ, do the numbers. If you have plenty of work to be done, you save $$$ and get a free holiday.

Years ago I heard Dental Holidays to Fiji were viable also....
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Fark, what a cool idea. Dentists in NZ are a rip.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudfart View Post
    I suggest get as much money together as possible
    Wouldn't be a bad option if I actually had more income than outgo every month, makes getting money together a bit tricky.

Thanks for the advice guys, but perhaps I didn't put in enough REALLY REALLY's in the original. If I could afford the overseas holiday I might be able to make a start on the dentistry. I'm more than a bit skint at the minute, so have to look for options closer to home. Will try parts of Souf Orkland and see what I can find.

Or just go for the bulk paracetamol...

Bike
    Your mom
    My dad had a fair bit of work done on his teeth in Taiwan recently. He said it was dirt cheap and the dentist was very good. A modern, clean environment and he's never been happier seeing a dentist. Next week I've got a fairly painful dental appointment; 4 fillings to do and 1 chipped tooth. I better take a decent dose of codeine before I go.

Bike
    Hornet 599
    Blog Entries
    Go to hospital and get it pulled for 50 bucks.

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzinowt View Post
    Go to hospital and get it pulled for 50 bucks.
    Is that any hospital, or only specific ones? I tried to call the North Shore Hospital but they said they didn't do dentistry, try Greenlane. They keep cutting me off when they transfer the call to the "correct department" (tried at least 5 times, gave up). Have you used the hospital service yourself?

Bike
    Hornet 599
    Blog Entries
    No actually I am not one hundred percent sure but I have heard from more then one source that you can get it done at Middlemore.

Bike
    BMW F650 Hoonda GB500 KTM525 sixdays
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Is that any hospital, or only specific ones? I tried to call the North Shore Hospital but they said they didn't do dentistry, try Greenlane. They keep cutting me off when they transfer the call to the "correct department" (tried at least 5 times, gave up). Have you used the hospital service yourself?
    Our local Guy in Waihi is $200 per tooth and absolutly pain free - I would totally recommend him- he sorted my mouth for $600 and I was previously quoted $5000!!
    Retired- just some guy with a few bikes......

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Quote Originally Posted by cave weta View Post
    Our local Guy in Waihi is $200 per tooth and absolutly pain free - I would totally recommend him- he sorted my mouth for $600 and I was previously quoted $5000!!
    Thanks, but at $200 a tooth I'm in for at least a grand or so, so not going to happen just at the moment. My existing dentist is about the same rate, and tends to use fillings instead of root canals where possible, to be even cheaper. This is false economy long term but does patch things up in the short term.

I was kinda looking for a cheapo cheapo student dentistry thing but outside of Otago there doesn't seem to be one. And the hospitals only do acute pain relief, so that probably won't include me. (I have a permanent headache and frequent gum infections but no acute toothache as most of my nerves have already been removed).

Maybe I should just pull the damn things out, if I can find a dentist who will do that, and accept payment on the never-never. Or take up boxing.

Bike
    Kwaka EN500
    Apparently Greenlane hospital have a dental unit.
    There are only 20 appointments a day and you need to be there really early to get one. I believe that some people get there at 5am to queue - however it seems to be a fraction of the cost of a dentist so may be well worth the effort. This is all secondhand so not sure where exactly at Greenlane the unit is - but I guess if you wen to the main reception area of the clinic they would point you in the right direction.good luck!
    L.
    Luce by name, but not necessarily by nature

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucyloo View Post
    Apparently Greenlane hospital have a dental unit.
    Ta, called them this morning. Apparently they only do acute inflamed pain on a triage basis (and then only extractions), so if there are 20 people ahead of me with swollen faces and claiming lots of pain I'll never be seen. But I'm more than welcome to pay the parking fee and sit in their waiting room all day.
    Apparently I can (maybe) get my doctor to refer me though - would then take a few (6) months but might eventually work, person I spoke to wasn't sure. Looks like it's paracetamol for the moment... unless the gubbermint makes them illegal or something.

Thanks for all the advice. Conclusion: Maybe I should have moved to a country with decent dental services (public or private).

Thread Information