Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amps still shit after 8 years.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by brp View Post
    Unless you have a Real need, just get on and ride it you will know if its fast, way easier on gear, bike will have real world forces on it like it was designed for, not sitting on the spot screaming the back wheel up starving for airflow.
    That's why we remove the rear wheel and drive ours directly and can load it up. By the way...the fan keeps 'em good and cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    That's why we remove the rear wheel and drive ours directly and can load it up. By the way...the fan keeps 'em good and cool.
    so you attach the bike to a dyno via its chain??

What about driveshafts?

Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    When Ray Pratt started Universal Motorcycles in the mid '70's, in a dark damp basement in Stoddard Rd Mt Roskill he had a policy of not working on bikes over 10 years old...and yes, people were pissed off. That Ray is still in business more than 35 years later, and still has the same workshop policy is a pretty good reason to keep it that way.
    I'm not that pissed off, I just find it funny how you can get really good service from the likes of AJ or George, yet others just don't want to know. Must be making all the $$.

They can run their business however they want, just thought i'd let others know before they embarrass themselves by owning a slightly old bike....

I think I might just do the tuning myself, unless I can find an expert. I've got a year or so before I have to worry too much

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    I think I might just do the tuning myself, unless I can find an expert.
    You can do it by sniffing the exhaust. Hasn't KB taught you anything?

Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    You can do it by sniffing the exhaust. Hasn't KB taught you anything?
    well ive never played around with a pumper carb before, so im going to have a bit of fun

Bike
    xr650
    Blowing air onto a bike different airflow than a bike cutting through the air your low running temperatures main thing

So if ya take an 8 year old bike into this chap that has 200,000 clicks on it he will dyno it ?

Blowing air onto a bike different airflow than a bike cutting through the air your low running temperatures main thing

So if ya take an 8 year old bike into this chap that has 200,000 clicks on it he will dyno it ?
    I think if its harley anything they will dyno it.

Bike
    xr650
    What ya fitting ya pumper too ? Lot fitted to XR650's and heap of info on net to by pass the dyno, Mr google should have something on what you fitting it to ....

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    so you attach the bike to a dyno via its chain??

What about driveshafts?
    We attach your rear sprocket or pulley to an adaptor plate that goes down into the dyno and drives a hydraulic pump via a chain.

We could do a shafty, but the time needed to make up an adaptor would make it too expensive. We did have a Guzzi owner a while ago that was going to make his own, but obviously decided against it.

Bike
    Various things
    Haven't overheated one yet!

Bike
    xr650
    Good to hear

Ya still wouldn't know though if ya had a damaging hot spot .....

Bike
    Various things
    Ya still wouldn't know though if ya had a damaging hot spot .....
    Think you'll find it's all ok. I rode a Buell through the Nevada Desert when it was 48 deg c at rather large throttle openings.. You reckon that was harder on it than being on our dyno in a temp controlled room with a huge fan?

Bike
    xr650
    Nice action on the Nevada Desert

Some would say no difference between pushing clothes through the water to pushing the water through the clothes in a washing machine but the results show different ....

Unless ya got a fan the size they use in the lyttelton road tunnel where ya could drive a car through it dare say you would be better in the desert, if someone was silly enough to do 200 k's plus with no helmet on and see how it compares to your fan - probably see where I am coming from interms of airflow

Each to their own you guys obviously got a practical use for a dyno in that nice shop of yours but for average joe punter with no Real need whats the point of putting ya bike in an environment it was not designed for ?

Bike
    Various things
    whats the point of putting ya bike in an environment it was not designed for ?
    To get a nicer power delivery without all of the holes in the torque curve they nearly all have as std. To acheive better fuel mileage. To have a nicer running eninge with a smoother power delivery. To have considerably more torque through out the rev range. For longer engine life as we have the fuelling far better sorted. Other than that...no real reason.

Bike
    xr650
    Just buy a more powerful bike ..... that way the crank etc is designed for the power

Thread Information