Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EN 125 overhaul

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Epic progress
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Righty. Plowed into it today like a locomotive on crack.

My goal was to get the bike running. This was no mean feat starting from a frame, but I like challenges.

Started off by trying to clean the carb a bit, it looked quite groddy.

(note, this is a before pic)
    Photobucket

Motor in

Photobucket

Handlebars on in prep for dummy rigging of controls to get wiring sorted. Note there is now no key in the ignition...
    Photobucket

New breather and overflow (I think thats what they are) pipes for the carb. The old ones wern't too badly gummed up, but they were discoloured and looked horrible. So new ones it was.
    I didn't get the carb looking particularly nice, but i'll have at it again later.
    Photobucket

Wiring loom just about to go on.

Photobucket

Exhaust in place. I'm going to take it off again and clean it when I get the bike running.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    ^look at that header

Wiring Loom about half installed. It was at about this time I realized the value of taking a whole lot of reference photos before so You know what to plug into where. I had about half what I needed

Photobucket

I realized just a little after that pic that I had a service manual sitting on the computer at home. Suddenly full of hope I checked it and it had a circuit diagram!! That was in english!!

So got the rest of the wiring loom finished in reletively short order after that.

Photobucket

I plugged in the battery, assembled the throttle line, rigged a makeshift fuel line, checked the engine was in neutral, turned it on and pushed the starter...........nothing. Huh.

After about half an hour of poking various things with a multimeter and ruling out different causes (had a scary moment when I thought it was a broken wire) I took a close look at the starter relay and realized that I hadn't plugged the control wire into the right place! Fixed that and she cranked!!!

and cranked and cranked and cranked .....

ok. Not starting.

Most likely at fault is a gunked carb, seeing as this bike was sitting for quite a while. So I pulled it off and apart

Photobucket

Taking note of the various bits and where they went as I was going. (never done this before y'see)
    Photobucket

and left the various needles and jets soaking in what supercheap auto told me was carb cleaner.

Now this little bit came out the bottom (I think) and I have no idea where exactly it's from. Does anyone know what it is? or even could be?

Photobucket
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    You sure that fellow popped out the bottom? Could be a diaphragm needle seat?
    I'm sure you'll find where it goes.

Brilliant progress man!
    I can now do a motor in/out of my ZZR600 in 3 hours flat
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Its the needle seat, goes in above the emulsion tube that the main jet goes into. The tapered end goes towards the needle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Its the needle seat, goes in above the emulsion tube that the main jet goes into. The tapered end goes towards the needle.
    ah thank you.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanwhite View Post
    ah thank you.
    Go to the Motoone nz site and on the front page is the parts monster link. Find your bike on there and you can find diargrams of the carb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    I got it running!!!!

although....
    after pulling the carby apart for the 5th time I finally worked out that the float needle was working just fine thank you and that all the fuel pouring out the bottom was simply the drain screw left open.
    So then if it wasn't the carb, what was it? One other likely culprit....
    Pulled off and tested the spark plug...ah. No spark.

I then looked up at the spark plug relay/coil/transformer/powerup/dont touch it thing and found that it wasn't plugged in.

She needed the teensiest bit of coaxing to start, but once it was going.......

So yes, I'm happy now

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Coupla minor things I got sorted, the chain lifter assembled to the swing arm and silly me hadn't put it on when putting the engine in. So swingarm bolt out again, bit of wiggling to get it all in place and tried to put the bolt back though......not happening.

Eventually it took two of us 10 whole minutes to put the $%@#* bolt into place (after i'd struggled with it for about half an hour) had to hit it with a hammer to get it in...naughty I know but hey it worked.

So finally in:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG 016.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	630.8 KB 
ID:	262481

Also put the footpegs back on, seemed like a innane small thing that was better done when I could rather then sometime in the misty future

Name:	IMG 017.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	544.1 KB 
ID:	262483

Chains arrived, yes both of them. Silly me bid on one then saw a better offer on and bought that one thinking/hoping that I wouldn't win the first. But I did.
    It's not a huge issue though, becuase its the same size chain as my scorpio, so I have a spare now

Name:	IMG 018.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	392.5 KB 
ID:	262484

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries

A BIG thanks

Now I shouldn't go any further before sending a huge thank you to Mom and Maha.
    They had this very nice digital calliper that they weren't using and just gave to me out of the blue.

They are much appreciated and will come in very handy

Name:	IMG 019.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	487.1 KB 
ID:	262486

you guys rock. Seriously.

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Now that this bike is going and stuff is happening I'm starting to seriously think about where this bike is headed. The way I see it, I have three options.

1) Simply rebuild it and get it made roadworthy. Then sell it off and make some $$$ out of it. Nothing else
    2) Mod it. Bogan's post of an EN of GingerMidget's thread got me pretty inspired. Then either sell it or keep it, depending on whats happening then
    3) Turn it into a bucket. It would be a blast i'm sure, and quite a cheap way to get into it.

Getting it roadworthy will mean (on top of other things) getting it re-rego'd. This will cost more then what I have spent on it so far and I have no idea whether or not it will need re-vinning too, which would add a quite a bit.

I may be speaking out of naivety here, but I think turning it into a mini-cafe or similar style bike wouldn't be too expensive, and definately very fun. The downside of this is after all that, I would most likely still have to get it roadworthy in order to move it on which raises all the previous points negatives.

Bucketing it, would remove the costs of getting it rego'd/vinned again. I would get to do most of what I would do for the mini-cafe thing, but without having to make it super perfect, which takes up a lot of time and effort. There's something very cool about getting to turn a standard bike into a race machine, even if it is only 125cc.
    The only significant costs I can see with this is getting gear for the track. I'm know I can borrow a trailer/car or find someone to help transport so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

hmmm......

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    I vote you go cafe racer with it

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Piggy, ZX6RR
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    I vote you go cafe racer with it

+1 for this idea.. and you're doing an awesome job !!!

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Photobuckets being a pain for me so no nice embedded photos, attachments only

ok todays efforts

First thing I attacked was the horrible gunky exhaust and header. I had a funny moment a while back when I cleaned the header of my scorpio with WD-40. Got off a short ride and thought I smelt something burning. Looked down and saw my header smoking . Then I realized that wd-40 is a light oil type substance. Which burns. However I proceeded to clean this pipe with it because I know its damn good at getting rid of piled up gunk.

Before...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG 020.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	323.8 KB 
ID:	262623

after about 10min with wd-40 and a scouring pad......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG 021.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	379.4 KB 
ID:	262624

Then I brought out the big guns, or gun actually in the form of a wire wheel...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG 022.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	363.2 KB 
ID:	262625

Name:	IMG 023.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	260.3 KB 
ID:	262626

Now with the end looking so bad, and I think the rust goes a fair way into the pipe, am I going to have to replace the exhaust? I hope not, but hell... thats just horrible

Name:	IMG 024.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	262627

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Then stuck on the gear lever..had a horrible moment when I thought the gear box wasn't going. It went from N to 1st but wasn't moving up to 2nd. Then I remembered its a sequential gearbox and needs some form of movement to switch gears :duh:

Name:	IMG 025.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	262630

Rear brake lever went on too. Had a hell of a time getting the rear part of the lever attached to the drum. That was after I worked out the order they were supposed to go and then fit together too. There is a spring around somewhere (I haven't lost it, I swear) that connects onto the lever to pull it back up. It hasn't gone on.

Name:	IMG 026.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	262631

Then I got out my nice oily shiny new chain, broke it at the required amount of links and stuck that on. Unfortunately I don't have a proper chain breaker, so I had to make do with a grinder, a hammer and a hole punch. It was a horrifying experience that I do not want to repeat, so I jumped on trademe and ordered one up quicksmart for the next time I have to do that.

Name:	IMG 027.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	262632

It's funny with this build, I'm half building the bike, and half playing hide and seek with all the parts scattered around the garage. It wasn't till after I installed the chain that I found the circlip that holds the gear lever in place

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    great build man it looks mint!

Thread Information