Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: SHARP helmet ratings released

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by alanzs View Post
    Were wool caps really considered helmets back then?
    Even less...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    rf900
    cool, my helmet has 5 stars.............i bought it for the fit.........the sales guy didn't have a clue about safety stuff though

Bike
    bikeless
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    fuck - my KBC VR2R only got 2 stars.

That dosnt make me happy at all!
    I agree WTF i am riding with a 2 star helmet ahhhhhh!
    The question is why is it a 2 start helmet?
    hmm time to buy a shark methinks

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
    I agree WTF i am riding with a 2 star helmet ahhhhhh!
    The question is why is it a 2 start helmet?
    hmm time to buy a shark methinks
    yeah - it had me thinking as well. When I got my helmet I had no idea about anything. Motomail sold it to me and didn't teach me anything about fitting etc. When I lift my helmet from the rear it flips over the front of my face!!!!! yet they sold it to me telling me that the fit was fine.

Cycletreads went thru everything with me and taught me how to fit a helmet and even told me to have the helmet for a couple of weeks and if it 'beds down' wrong to take it back . When ordering in a helmet they brought in 2 sizes just to make sure.

Seriously - you cannot get better service.

I ended up with a Shark RSR2 .

RRP was $989 and seemed good value for money - the reviews on the web have them as a top of the line helmet. fit and finish was outstanding. Comes with racing breath guard, 3mm fog and scratch resistant visor, tearoffs and a 5 year warranty.

Even tho its the current model Cycletreads did it for $499 - so I was one very happy camper. I would really recommend them for all your clothing helmet needs.
    Last edited by Tank; 18th July 2008 at 14:28. Reason: error in html tag

Bike
    2007 Triumph Speedmaster
    Seriously - you cannot get better service.

I ended up with a Shark RSR2 .

Coudnt have made a better choice.When you buy a helmet that has a sponsorship attached you are paying a premium for that for nothing,and its a strange marketing thing thats happened in our burb where the two bike shops only sell Shoe, one dropping the Shark brand.that means they will share the market,dumb and gives no choice, it would seem obvious that there must be one hell of a mark up for them to do that,as it has proved in your case by Cycletreads

Bike
    DL1000 K8 VStrom

Arrow World-first motorcycle helmet ratings

Released about two weeks ago - Ratings for 56 of the most popular full face helmets on the market were published after testing by SHARP - the Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme set up in a world-first by the Department for Transport last year.

The SHARP tests - which award ratings of between one and five stars - showed that the safety performance of helmets can vary by as much as 70%.

SHARP website:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/sharp

My KB Videos (and pics): here

Don't ever argue with an idiot.... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    I have to admit that regularly on a summers day, I will take a quiet ride down a country road without my helmet.

I enjoy it.

Like riding a motorcycle, it increases my risk of death if I happen to have a crash. I do it anyway.

I'm not saying helmets are useless. But I am saying they are over-rated.

We rode for many years without them. Then to save dozens of lives a year they were introduced.

Did they save lives ? Certainly, there will be those who credit their survival to a helmet.

But, WITHOUT cheating by googling it, use the following data to determine which year the life-saving helmet became compulsory.

Data from - http://www.transport.govt.nz/assets/...ualty-2003.pdf (the spelling mistake is theirs, not mine, grab your copy before the name change ends access to the document)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motorcycledeaths.gif 
Views:	84 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	103146  
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    DL1000 K8 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    I have to admit that regularly on a summers day, I will take a quiet ride down a country road without my helmet.

Data from - http://www.transport.govt.nz/assets/...ualty-2003.pdf (the spelling mistake is theirs, not mine, grab your copy before the name change ends access to the document)
    I know what you mean by riding without a helmet on a summer's day and having it feel great, because I did this in Thailand and Laos with rented motorbikes that came with a helmet that was too small. No protective gear at all although at least I wasn't wearing jandals! It was way too hot and humid to put on cordura or leather even if it was available. After walking everywhere as a backpacker tourist, riding a motorcycle as I did was incredibly good.

Thanks for the PDF file. A lot fewer deaths since the early 70's!

I now see that this topic has already been posted and my thread has been merged with the original.

For some reason it did not show up in two searches of posts that I did for "helmet".

My KB Videos (and pics): here

Don't ever argue with an idiot.... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post

But, WITHOUT cheating by googling it, use the following data to determine which year the life-saving helmet became compulsory.
    True... hard to see, however it does prove that a helmet will not protect you from every crash....

Looking at the data though, there is a bit of a spike in the numbers around the time of the 1973 fuel crisis...
    I guess we will see that again soon...

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    I wonder how fast the helmets were travelling when they hit the anvill.....?
    Sorry for the dredge. I hadn't noticed the thread before.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/about-sha...s/test-speeds/

About 30km/h by my maths. Probably reasonable for a direct blow.

I thought this line was interesting:
    "Research indicated a strong recommendation to use 9.5m/s as the upper impact velocity. This may be too severe for many current production helmets."

Wonder if the Arai and Shoei helmets would fare better if the speed was increased.

Bike
    red one
    I doubt that they would fare any better, however a more rigid foam would help at higher speed.

Anyone feel like sponsoring a $10k "independant" helmet test - (I'm sure norman the mormons from the tron would be happy crash test dumm.....errrr)

As a side thought, I feel midly put out that my Suomy Spec 1R only rates a 3, although it was only $350 and the ONLY helmet in cycletreads that fit me (3XL)

Cest la vie

Bike
    BMW
    Just got back from the gp and from all the info over there it backs up my comments in the start of this thread that this test is all shit and go and buy an arai!

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    Just got back from the gp and from all the info over there it backs up my comments in the start of this thread that this test is all shit and go and buy an arai!
    X 2 on that!

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Well I'm happy with my Arai, as I tested my previous one face first onto the road!

Bike
    2008, Suzuki GSX650F

SHARP or Sharp?

Of course you can have all the stars in the World, but if your lid doesn't fit properly...
    If we could be heroes, if just for one day.

Thread Information