Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Progression of a total motorcycle noob

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Don't put yourself down, you had an off.

Many of us have.

Learn from it and move on.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    some, more than one.....

but yeah, what he said
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    07XL650V, 89GPX250F
    Sweet vid man, nice work on the knee pads.

Bike
    Honda CBR250RR (L)
    Well I’ve come to the end of the licensing process. Yesterday I got my full motorcycle license. No drama and no issues. Straightforward.

Given the cbr250rr mc22 was/is such a fantastic first bike I figured the CBR600RR would be a good progression. On top of that I did a solid amount of research on the supersports and found the 600RR stacked up well. Vehicle aesthetics bug me a lot, and this bike actually had a nose I could be happy with.

I’d been keeping an eye out for 600RR bikes for several months leading up to my full license test, and lo and behold one appears on trademe at a great price with spare fairings to boot. So straight after getting my full license I test rode and bought a 2006 CBR600RR. When I hopped on that bike to test ride, the first thing I noticed was how much higher the thing was. No more being able to flat-foot both feet for stopping or walking the bike back. It felt precarious compared to the 250. I haven’t ridden any bike other than my 250 since getting my learners, and before that I’d barely ridden anything at all, so man, the 600rr did feel high and weird.

But boy, it brought back the feelings of when I first rode my mc22. In the same ‘wooow’ manner, the bike just wanted to zoom. Playing with the throttle and feeling unfamiliar power bought everything back. I was a complete noob again. While I’m 100% comfortable on my cbr250 to the point of having gone through a bunch of knee sliders and grinding the pegs far too much, the 600RR felt very foreign and it’s going to take a few corners to get into the swing of things. I’m sure it won’t be long getting the feel, but knowing that 250cc me would cream inexperienced 600cc me in heavy twisties made me homesick for the mc22 again. You never really outgrow a bike like the mc22 if you’ve got a heap of hairpin twisties nearby - Mangamuka Gorge = mc22 natural habitat.

So yes, selling the mc22 or not. That’s the question. I’m loath to sell it because I can ride this bike to its potential, and I’ve come from being a complete bike noob to that point. What a journey. So yeah it’s not just a soppy emotional attachment. The bike really is excellent and I have only good things to say about it. Solid and reliable. But it’s hard to justify keeping two bikes with all the associated costs and finding room for them so I’ll have to sell.

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Don't put yourself down, you had an off.

Many of us have.

Learn from it and move on.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    +1

& don't worry about getting your knee down it will come in time if needed!! as some of us ride duel purpose & thats different again
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    Honda CBR250RR (L)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aP1090615.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	260178

Name:	P1090686a.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	260179

Name:	aP1090538.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	260180

On the 18/1 I had a motorcycle accident, one week after purchasing the 600rr. I've been in bed since and have 5 weeks to go before walking. Busted left leg and pelvis. Would have died on the scene but an ambulance was minutes away on the same route and able to keep me as my pulse died. Unashamedly I give God the credit, as a Christian, for being alive today and with light injuries given the nature of the accident.

I've been told I slid out, for whatever reason, and ended sliding underneath a loaded logging truck chugging in the opposit direction up a winding section of road. All the wheels missed or I wouldn't be typing this. I finished up about halfway allong the vehicle having gone between the front wheels.

I could have tried to save my pride by keeping quite. I've seen a few accident threads here that go south fast, but it is good to be sobered up as a rider.

Be careful out there.

Bike
    2007 GSX1000R
    Good on you - and its a lesson to us all

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Fuck mate!
    Heal up, learn and take it easy.
    The bike can be replaced etc (you can also sell parts to me...that tail unit looks quite nice...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Hope you are on the mend and will get your confidence back on a bike.

suggestion: have some more sticky tires next time. may just help. Those PR2's are good tires. but maybe not sticky enough.

PR3's or Angles or Z8's or M3's I would suggest.
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    A Japper
    Welcome to motorbiking and thanks for interesting post.

Bike
    A Japper
    My apologies, wrongly posted.

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    yep, look on the bright side ...youre alive & you've still got the 250....
    The Heart is the drum keeping time for everyone....

Bike
    1987 GPX 250

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Shit mate you are very lucky to be writing this after going under a truck.

Hope you recover quickly and get back in the saddle.
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Now there's a surprise.

Bike
    half litre street beater
    Quote Originally Posted by zeocen View Post
    I'll probably get chewed for this, but if you're going knee down on the road - you're doing it wrong.
    Agreed.

Amazing to hear of your accident and that you're still with us mate. Not many people slide under a logging truck and come out the other side.

I began at the start of this thread, and by the time I read the post about you crashing the 600 and almost dying I was completely unsurprised. Considering the fact that you were seemingly riding around putting a knee down on public roads at every possible opportunity, plus the Mangamuka video where you periodically cross the centre line on right-hand turns, even the overtaking maneouvre past that tanker (on a greasy road, looks like) left me feeling sketchy.

I'm not knocking you or your ability, man. I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery, and to see you out there on the road one day.

However I'm seriously questioning your approach to road riding, and the appropriateness of your riding style in the environments you've been doing it.
    You want some advice - lightning strikes once, it does not strike twice!

Thread Information