Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do Gsxr1000's have frame cracking issues?

Bike
    the town bike, everybody's ridden her.
    They still have a tendency to do this though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1468.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	479.7 KB 
ID:	87355  

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    They break, but only seems to be when something has been modified, or a hard crash impact.

I do suspect some fail due to wheelies though, makes you wonder when the new ones are breaking, yes metal fatigue and strain, but the bikes they are selling now, most will probably still be around in 10 years or so, i personally think alot of frames will give in by then. They are building them to the limit, to save 2-3 kg's.

Here's the late model gixxers i know of that have come to frame grief.

Bruce - k5 GSXR1000 - high speed head on impact. Ok fair point any bike would have snapped.

Dan - k6 GSXR1000 - Snapped in half while riding down motorway. Bike had been put into a cliff and apparently frame rewelded because insurance were being tight arses.

Patrick - k4 GSXR600 - T-boned a car at roughly 110kph. Snapped frame. Yet again hard impact fair point, most bikes would not break at this speed. but still it's a solid impact.

R.I.P to all the above riders.

Random guy on your tube - k6 (i think) - rode off down road after washing it, bike snaps in half, suzuki say due to him (or bike shop) drilling a hole for a horn in the frame.

So it seems an issue more of they are safe from factory, it's the modifications/prior crash damage/possibly wheelies also that make them break.

The fact that all my mates who have passed away in bike crashes have been on GSXR's has put me off them.

Not because i don't like the bike. It's just when 3 people you know pass, all on a GSXR, it's tempting fate to me.

I see it as a sign.

SM

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Racing View Post
    They still have a tendency to do this though.
    Photos don't lie.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I've seen the inside of a k6 thou frame weld... I ain't buying one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    I love the look of the K7 & K8 Thou's in BLACK with BLACK everything. I won't be buying one when I upgrade the current Gixxer though. My K4 600 has been perfect, no complaints at all. I just dont feel that this would continue with a newer machine. Will most likely either get a ZX6r, ZX10r or Daytona 675. In Black of course.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I've seen the inside of a k6 thou frame weld... I ain't buying one.
    That would be a fair point if you knew the difference between a bad weld and a bad looking weld ,there is a difference , some welds that look a bit rough can sometimes be the ones with good penetration ,less undercut and lest heat effected area,but I saw some snapped k5 gix frame and it looked like they broke in the heat effected area and not the weld itself, but when all is said and done welds should look presentable inside and out but dont base everything on what you see

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX10R (2006), Kawasaki GPz550H2
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Will most likely either get a ZX6r, ZX10r or Daytona 675. In Black of course.

Man, have i got a deal for you!! Check out my signature for pictures of the bike in action. we might be upgrading so this one will go on the block if we do. it's got all the fancy bits for suspension, factory ecu and loom, akrapovic full race titanium system, rear sets, etc, etc. the engine has been worked on by Derek McAdam. I also have all the original bodywork.

The original bodywork is all black too!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

I would'a, I could'a, I should'a - Loser's Lament

I could'a been a contender!! - Loser's lament part 2

Bike
    2014 MV Agusta Brutale 800
    I love the look of the K7 & K8 Thou's in BLACK with BLACK everything. I won't be buying one when I upgrade the current Gixxer though. My K4 600 has been perfect, no complaints at all. I just dont feel that this would continue with a newer machine. Will most likely either get a ZX6r, ZX10r or Daytona 675. In Black of course.
    zx6r - not as nice, test rode recently, akin to sitting on a tilted ironing board
    D 675 - drinks oil, watch the oil level constantly
    GSXR 600 K& - as near to perfect as damnit, esp with K&N air filter and Micron exhaust = stronger bottom end
    Get your motor runnin, head out on the Highway ....

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by dickytoo View Post
    Man, have i got a deal for you!! Check out my signature for pictures of the bike in action. we might be upgrading so this one will go on the block if we do. it's got all the fancy bits for suspension, factory ecu and loom, akrapovic full race titanium system, rear sets, etc, etc. the engine has been worked on by Derek McAdam. I also have all the original bodywork.

The original bodywork is all black too!

Very similar to this one

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-142855571.htm

IK would be very very interested in either your machine or the one above, depending on when it is for sale. Just made redundant at work you see. Love that pic of the ZX10 wheelie on the corner exit

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by forkoil View Post
    zx6r - not as nice, test rode recently, akin to sitting on a tilted ironing board
    D 675 - drinks oil, watch the oil level constantly
    GSXR 600 K& - as near to perfect as damnit, esp with K&N air filter and Micron exhaust = stronger bottom end
    Food for thought. Cheers. Also forgot to mention, thanks to DMNTD and his ravingt of the KTM, also will look at a Superduke.

Bike
    GSXR1000K7,GSXR1100K.
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Yes, sometimes though a bike is repairable, with a broken frame it's a write off.

On a ride with mates one day a guy on a new 06 thou smacked into the side of a car at under 100kms. He bounced over the car, got up and walked back. The bike frame cracked near the welds??
    So if you are riding a CBR 1000 or a ZX 10 or an R1, you just chuck it into reverse, back out of the car wreck that you're in and ride off into the sunset?
    Have had a 1000 K1, K6 and now a K7 ...........and not a lightweight either, and have had no problems? Haven't hit any cars yet, and your grandma can wheelie better than me!

Bike
    GSXR1000K7,GSXR1100K.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxB View Post
    True but Suzuki don't exactly help themselves with the lack of attention to detail when it comes to welding etc.
    Here here! I wonder if I can find somebody who would straight-swap my bike for a decent bike , like a ZZR1100 maybe? I wish.................

Bike
    GSXR1000K7,GSXR1100K.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    Photos don't lie.
    I thought the only time you saw a GSXR 1000 was when one passed you, or if you rode past one (Parked!)!
    No photos don't lie! Pull your head out of your arse! Half the photos on the net are BS!

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX10R (2006), Kawasaki GPz550H2
    Very similar to this one

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-142855571.htm

IK would be very very interested in either your machine or the one above, depending on when it is for sale. Just made redundant at work you see. Love that pic of the ZX10 wheelie on the corner exit
    just thinking about it at the moment. we (derek and i) haven't fully decided whether we want to do the winter series on this bike or get the 08 one and get it sorted. I have access to a dyno and we'll be putting it on and we'll do some serious mapping of the ecu. derek keeps in pretty close touch with the official kawasaki factory teams in Oz and Canada (where they won the championship two years in a row) and they tell us that there are some serious ponies waiting to be unleashed.

Our bike is not as pretty as the one that just got sold by Technic in Hamilton but's thats just the race body work bearing its scars proudly. Derek takes great pride in keeping the bike as clean as a whistle and is a bloody great mechanic to boot. His Zx6 when he was doing the nationals was pretty damn fast as well. we also have a complete set of wheels with discs but may keep those if they fit the 08 bike (if we go that way).

Yeah, that picture of Derek is great. We also got pretty good results. In one of the races we were up to second for a couple of laps and finished fourth.

cheers

richard
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

I would'a, I could'a, I should'a - Loser's Lament

I could'a been a contender!! - Loser's lament part 2

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    My K4 hit a bank pretty hard and the frame was OK.

Mind you, the front wheel wasn't looking to flash.............
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Thread Information