PDA

View Full Version : Please define "bandying"...

slofox
25th May 2009, 10:51
Farcryzake, where do they get these radio reporters from - the illiterates' club?
Live feed on RNZ National this morning, re today's d'Auckland hikoi...

"Protestors are bandying together...."

How the hell does one "bandy"? Sounds like something you might do when you try to walk home after a whole day at the pub...

Please submit answers - Green bling for the best definition...

Finn
25th May 2009, 10:54
How the hell does one "bandy"? Sounds like something you might do when you try to walk home after a whole day at the pub...

Dunno about "bandy" but if anyone knows about spending a whole day at the pub, these protesters would.

Headbanger
25th May 2009, 10:55

Please submit answers - Green bling for the best definition...

bandy

Also found in: Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia 0.02 sec.
ban·dy (bnd)
tr.v. ban·died, ban·dy·ing, ban·dies

a. To toss or throw back and forth.
b. To hit (a ball, for example) back and forth.

a. To give and receive (words, for example); exchange: The old friends bandied compliments when they met.
b. To discuss in a casual or frivolous manner: bandy an idea about.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bandying

Laava
25th May 2009, 11:05
Bandying; the act of grouping together for no particular reason, to do whatever seems like a good idea at the time.

slofox
25th May 2009, 11:16
bandy

Also found in: Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia 0.02 sec.
ban·dy (bnd)
tr.v. ban·died, ban·dy·ing, ban·dies

a. To toss or throw back and forth.
b. To hit (a ball, for example) back and forth.

a. To give and receive (words, for example); exchange: The old friends bandied compliments when they met.
b. To discuss in a casual or frivolous manner: bandy an idea about.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bandying

Yes, all that's the proper use of bandy...I want definitions of the new useage as per original thread...

Headbanger
25th May 2009, 11:21
Yes, all that's the proper use of bandy...I want definitions of the new useage as per original thread...

Simply using the wrong word doesn't mean its definition is changed to suit.

avgas
25th May 2009, 12:08
Bandying (verb)
- To create a bandy (noun) for a problem.
e.g. "He's over there bandying that damn labeller again - why don't they buy a new one?"

Bandy (noun)
- To create a solution for a problem that will not fix it, just cover the signs that a real problem exists.
Short for "Bandaid solution"
e.g. "Don't worry these cable ties and duct tape will make a mean bandy"

Forest
25th May 2009, 12:40
I expect the reporter meant to say "banding together".

Big Dave
25th May 2009, 12:43
Slowfox vocabulary fail. :bleh:

bandy 1 |ˈbandē|
adjective ( -dier , -diest )
(of a person's legs) curved so as to be wide apart at the knees.
• (often bandy-legged) (of a person) having legs that are curved in such a way; bowlegged.
ORIGIN late 17th cent.: perhaps from obsolete bandy [curved stick used in hockey.]
bandy 2
verb ( -dies, -died) [ trans. ] (usu. be bandied about/around)
pass on or discuss an idea or rumor in a casual way : $40,000 is the figure that has been bandied about.
• exchange; pass back and forth : they bandied words and laughs from one to another.
noun
a game similar to field hockey.
• the stick used to play this game.
PHRASES
bandy words with argue pointlessly or rudely : don't bandy words with me, Sir!
ORIGIN late 16th cent.(in the sense [pass (a ball) to and fro] ): perhaps from French bander ‘take sides in a tennis match,’ from bande ‘band, crowd’ (see band 2 ).

Skyryder
25th May 2009, 12:57
Bandy= bow legged as say from a life time of riding horses.

Bandying= riding a horse.:jerry:

Skyryder

slofox
25th May 2009, 13:23
I expect the reporter meant to say "banding together".

Slowfox vocabulary fail. :bleh:

bandy 1 |ˈbandē|
adjective ( -dier , -diest )
(of a person's legs) curved so as to be wide apart at the knees.
• (often bandy-legged) (of a person) having legs that are curved in such a way; bowlegged.
ORIGIN late 17th cent.: perhaps from obsolete bandy [curved stick used in hockey.]
bandy 2
verb ( -dies, -died) [ trans. ] (usu. be bandied about/around)
pass on or discuss an idea or rumor in a casual way : $40,000 is the figure that has been bandied about.
• exchange; pass back and forth : they bandied words and laughs from one to another.
noun
a game similar to field hockey.
• the stick used to play this game.
PHRASES
bandy words with argue pointlessly or rudely : don't bandy words with me, Sir!
ORIGIN late 16th cent.(in the sense [pass (a ball) to and fro] ): perhaps from French bander ‘take sides in a tennis match,’ from bande ‘band, crowd’ (see band 2 ).

Simply using the wrong word doesn't mean its definition is changed to suit.

Guys guys guys - the whole point of this thread is the misuse of the phrase by the radio reporter. Of course she meant "banding together" but she is not the first person I have heard say "bandying together" in its place.
I thought it might be fun to make up a new definition...guess its Monday huh.

However, I DO like avgas's definitions and so award the first prize bling to him, closely followed by Laava. At least these two understood what I was on about...maybe I should have put this in "Jokes and Humour" instead...:rolleyes:...sigh...or perhaps I am just dense and confused myself...

Big Dave
25th May 2009, 13:51
It's an appropriate use of the word.
'The crowd were being smartarses to the Police' isn't good news-speak.

slofox
25th May 2009, 15:43

What she actually said was..."people are bandying together to march to Aotea square..."
Still think it's appropriate?

Finn
25th May 2009, 15:45
What she actually said was..."people are bandying together to march to Aotea square..."
Still think it's appropriate?

No. They should all fuck off home.

Big Dave
25th May 2009, 16:02
>>people are bandying together to march to Aotea square<<

Not grammatically perhaps, but I'm OK with context.

'People were bandying together as they marched to Aotea square' would be better maybe.

'They were rarking up as they went uptown' is what I would use.

slofox
25th May 2009, 16:08
No. They should all fuck off home.

:killingme:killingme:killingme

Best answer! Can't bling ya until I "spread it around"....

slofox
25th May 2009, 16:15

'People were bandying together as they marched to Aotea square' would be better maybe.

Big Dave, in the context of the whole soundclip, she meant that people were gathering, or banding together. This was before the march even got under way - early this morning. She just got the wrong word...which was my original point...not that it matters when all is said and done...perhaps my sense of humour is a little distorted. I'll just go back to sleep until tomorrow when it's time to ride the bike again...

Big Dave
25th May 2009, 16:33
Whatever. Good you were amused.

'Bandying together before the march' is also a valid statement.

peasea
25th May 2009, 17:15

Which is a real shame.

peasea
25th May 2009, 17:19

Or.....

"A bunch of inconsiderate cyclists blocked SH1 today and caused chaos for the law-abiding motorists who actually paid for the fucking road!"

Big Dave
25th May 2009, 17:33
Or.....

"A bunch of inconsiderate cyclists blocked SH1 today and caused chaos for the law-abiding motorists who actually paid for the fucking road!"

I'd watch the news again.

avgas
25th May 2009, 18:32

Nah change to one and watch that bandying of brothers about ww2....

peasea
25th May 2009, 19:27

I just watched Close Up and it would appear that the cyclists and their supporters are a bunch of law-breakers who caused motorists delays of up to 90 mins, yet none were arrested (walking on the bridge etc) and those who paid for the State Highway were prevented from going about their lawful business.

That sucks.

The cops were caught with their pants down and it just goes to show that if you have the numbers you can do whatever you want!

Skyryder
25th May 2009, 21:08
I suspect that the use of the word bandying may have more to do with the journo's political philosophy, her views on Maori and the reason for the march. Perhaps all three.

One of the interesting thing on the English language and the choice of words used for a particular reason is the subtle connotations that a particular word 'implies.' 'Bandying together' suggests, at least to me, a less than favourable gathering for cause that the user disagree with. A better example is 'toady' or minion. Both have different meanings where on may be the other; toady may be a minion but a minion may not necessarly be a toady but both are derogitory as I believe is 'bandying' together.

Skyryder

Big Dave
25th May 2009, 21:30
I just watched Close Up

Sucks to be you! :laugh:

peasea
25th May 2009, 21:43
Sucks to be you! :laugh:

You're not wrong, Paul Henry is a cock and Sainsbury ain't far behind. Journalism my arse.

Big Dave
25th May 2009, 22:16
U2 - Vertigo - on right now.

Pixie
26th May 2009, 11:20
NZ TV presenters do not need to have a command of the english language any better than a five year old.

Examples: Reporter that did not know what a "malady" was and was stupid enough to ask his interviewee during the item/

A voice over moron that refered to an "artist's news" in a teaser for an upcoming episode.