PDA

View Full Version : Crouching Aprilia hidden mid-valve

Sensei
25th May 2009, 21:27
Have had Robert Taylor fit the Mid valve bending shim stack into my Ohlins forks while apart which ment changing out the other mods to make way for the bending shim stack which needs a different compression piston & rebound piston plus afew other parts to make it all gel together . Once forks where back into the bike a test run on a familiar piece of road which can unsettle a great handling bike to see the difference & there was a huge change . To start with the forks are held higher in their stroke due to the Mid valve set up making the front alittle higher which was abit funny to start with as I prefer the front been lower but had left the fork settings as Robert had set them to & kept the same fork height when put back into the bike so as to keep a known benchmark . The sensitivity & sharp bump compliance that is tranfered from the road to the bars over smooth / ruff road sufaces be it hitting large pot holes or down hill slopes & off cambered crests is phenomenal as is the braking from high speed or while banked hard over into a apex with out the front diving or wanting to stand up or feeling vague is a feeling that I haven't felt to this level . Even in town & around the bike holds its self perfectly .I think the OZ light weight Race rims & frame geometry has contributed to helping this excellent modification that Robert has developed with the help of NZ's top racers & a local unsong tester AKA " Pussy " from off here who has spent hours of his own time pulling his bike apart & removing his forks to try yet another spec or setting change for road application for Robert to finally get my new Mid valve to where it is now thanks John :2thumbsup & Robert for your on going commitment to getting this stuff out there to us . If your thinking of getting some Mods done to your bike then seriously look into suspenion work first as not only do you get better mileage from your tyres you will also get way more confidence out of your ride , Bit of a " No Brainer Really " :done:

madmal64
25th May 2009, 21:58
Totally agree! Best mod I have had done is to get Robert & the crew at CKT to sort out my suspension.
Was the last mod I did on my current bike. It will be the 1st on the next one. For the $'s spent I got the best result.
It is a no brainer.

Pussy
25th May 2009, 22:03
I reckon what we've come up with is bloody good!
I've got yet ANOTHER system that RT is working on in my sem fiddy at the moment. It's shaping up nicely. No doubt Robert will reveal all before too long.
It's another step again.
Best thing to do to your bike, alright... properly sorted suspension

puddytat
25th May 2009, 22:17
My mate has just sent his Factory 04 forks to Robert for repair & an upgrade i think, he's like a kid waiting for Santa at the moment....

Robert Taylor
26th May 2009, 18:43
Hey thanks guys.

A special thanks to top road racers Robbie Bugden, Andrew Stroud, Craig Shirriffs and Sam Smith for helping to develop settings for our ''stop go'' circuits built largely on unstable wasteland.
And an extra big thanks to John ( Pussy ) and Annie ( Gassit Girl ) for providing valuable ( and as it transpires deadly accurate ) feedback re road settings we have developed.

Pussy
26th May 2009, 20:15
From the other side of the fence, Robert, it's bloody good to have someone who will listen to symptoms, and come up with solutions :niceone:

Be warned, folks.... near enough ISN'T good enough with Mr T, he doesn't stop till it's "just the dog's borrocks"