PDA

View Full Version : Woman Bikers

BABY R
18th March 2005, 09:59
HI,

I am new to the site. I am on my learners.

Do you girls out there find motorbikes a bit heavy to handle? I am currently riding / sharing a CBR250RR with my boyfriend and I find it a bit heavy. I went to Cyclespot a while back and had a sit on a VTR1000 and CBR600RR and realised that I can't reach the floor, looks like I might have to stick with the 250cc. Well even with the 250, it is quite a handful on hills and parking.

How do you girls out there ride / handle bigger bikes? :spudwhat:

What kind of riding do most of you girls do?

Thanks

Nice meeting you all.

jrandom
18th March 2005, 10:07
How tall are you?

'Cruiser' style bikes are generally appropriate for shorties.

Go to Holeshot, just down the road from Cyclespot, and have a go on a GZ250. You might be pleasantly surprised.

The nicest 250cc cruiser is the Kawasaki VN250. Keep an eye out for any that come up for sale.

And welcome to the forum.

CTM
18th March 2005, 10:11
welcome to the site!!

jazbug5
18th March 2005, 10:12
It won't seem heavy for long, trust me. I felt exactly the same about mine at first (having done my learner course on a 125 and only ridden bicycles before that). But now I've adapted to it and it seems as light as. Especially when I've got crosswinds to worry about. There is a listing of bikes suited to different heights that I've got at home, so I'll post it when I get there this evening. As for bigger, heavier bikes, I think it's true that you wouldn't want to be getting something you couldn't pick up (again, I think there are formulas or something, but ask at any bike shop, making it clear you're not about to buy, that is) but there are also techniques for that, which you can find on the net. There's actually a woman who tours rallies in the States showing people how best to pick up heavy bikes!
Welcome, and good luck. You'll get lots of excellent advice from here.

BABY R
18th March 2005, 10:13
thanks for your reply. I am 158cm. I would ultimately like to get a 400 + sports bike... Looking at some of the biker ladies here, they have really really cool big bikes. I don't really like cruisers and would like to upgrade one day to something larger than a 250cc. Still on my learners, but just wondering how the other females handled their bikes.

P.S. I dropped my b/f's CBR250RR... luckly slight damage only ... :brick: :brick:

vifferman
18th March 2005, 10:28
The vifferbabe is ~155cm, I think. When we were shopping for helmets, she sat on a number of bikes, and found that the Cagiva Raptor 650 enabled her to sit with both feet on the ground, so there are bikes bigger than 250s that shorter people can ride.

Riff Raff
18th March 2005, 12:14
Weight of a bike is something you get used to - and doesn't take that long. Being able to get your feet on the ground is probably more important for you than weight - but most modern sportsbikes aren't that heavy. Head round all the bike shops and sit on everything and if you feel comfortable on it put it on your list to take for a spin. As you get more comfortable with your motorcycling skills you will find you are more able to handle bigger bikes.

Welcome to the site BTW :wavey: and look forward to seeing you on a KB ride.

claire
18th March 2005, 12:22
Hey Baby R

You will get used to the weight of the bike sooner than you think. Just like everyone else has suggested cruise around the bike shops and try as many bikes as possible. You could try a ZZR600 when I was looking to change bikes a few years ago lots of salesMEN in bike shops I rang about bikes suggested them as they have a low seat height. At 190cm tall seat height isn't really a problem for me but lots of other woman on the site have commented about seat height etc. Good luck.

Claire

sAsLEX
18th March 2005, 12:31
P.S. I dropped my b/f's CBR250RR... luckly slight damage only ... :brick: :brick:

you still have that boyfriend??? he must be very forgiving!!!!

Welcome to the site :spudwave:

Madguitarist!
18th March 2005, 18:05
Welcome baby r, nice to see you posting!!! :spudwave:

From what I've seen, you handle the bike quite well. As the other ladies pointed out, it's really a confidence thing and that comes with more riding time. Keep riding consistently and regularly and you'll probably start to feel the bike getting 'smaller & lighter'.

ps don't worry abt Feint, he should be buying another bike for himself and giving you this one!!! :yeah:

jazbug5
18th March 2005, 18:13
http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.sbl.html#cat3

...to see a list of bikes sorted for different heights. Good stuff!

crashe
18th March 2005, 19:57
hi ya and welcome to the site...

Ok 158cm = 5 foot 2 inches tall.... had to get my tape measure out...lol.
Im 4 foot 12 inches tall and I ride a cruiser.... as I can't reach the ground on many bikes at all, and I like to place both feet on the ground when just sitting on the bike going nowhere (like at lights etc)

The weight of the bike you will get used to it.... give it time.
I sat on a mates CBR250RR recently and it felt quite light compared to mine...but my feet didnt touch the ground...lol..... tis a buggar being short aye.

You say you dont like the cruiser style... have you actually gone around and sat on a few and even test ridden a couple of them....
it is a different style to ride compared to the sportsbikes.
Riff Raff can tell you that - she went from the Honda Rebel cruiser to a sports.

I personally prefer the cruiser to ride.... due to a number of reasons...

As others have suggested go around all the bike shops and sit on every style of bike.... and take a few out to ride..... you maybe surprised at riding a cruiser.

The more you ride the bike the more you become one with her.
Good luck in finding your own bike.

Coyote
18th March 2005, 20:26
If you want something light, I suggest getting a motard of some sort. They are very light as they are dirt orientated, easy to ride and damn fun too (instead of knee down, you can have your foot out :niceone: ) At Motorad, I've seen the Aprilia RS50 and Gas Gas EC50, they seem like good first bikes, allthough you might find them underpowered, in that case, you might want to go for a XR250. Also, being dirt bikes, they are fairly high, but some bikes are lower, the forks can be lowered, and they have thinner seats

Hope that helps

BABY R
18th March 2005, 23:10
Thanks for your helpful advice!

Well, I've only been riding for like 2 weeks, so I guess I will get used to it as I ride more.
Just wondering if there are any tips or tricks for women riders?!

You guys are cool! :niceone:

Thank you

jazbug5
18th March 2005, 23:40
Alarumba- aren't motards pretty high in the seat generally? I know they're nifty and all, but maybe I got that wrong....

jazbug5
18th March 2005, 23:43
Tips and tricks for women... dunno- watch out for fucktards in Pajeros? Same as for the boys, I'd say!

FROSTY
19th March 2005, 00:20
one point I've fountd with all my female freinds --make sure ya jacket keeps ya kidneys etc warm--
as for bikes for shorter ladies.--its been covered off.
the one I really like is the raptor--super low seat and a really trick bike.
anothe rpossibility would be the goose--funny name but small and skinny.
of course thre are always ways to modify bikes so their easier for shorter people to stand on.--seat modifications .some suspension work etc.

NC
19th March 2005, 08:58
Gain some weight, I can touch the ground on a GSXR1000 and a SP1 and I'm only 5'8ft ish...

It's good to be heavy

jazbug5
19th March 2005, 09:59
of course thre are always ways to modify bikes so their easier for shorter people to stand on.--seat modifications .some suspension work etc.

Do you really think you should be encouraging learner riders to be trick riding, Tony? Tut tut.

Coyote
19th March 2005, 10:46
Alarumba- aren't motards pretty high in the seat generally? I know they're nifty and all, but maybe I got that wrong....
As I mentioned, most of them are tall, but theres a number of dirt bikes that are lower, the forks can go through the triple clamps to lower them, rear suspension can be lowered, and they have thinner seats so your legs aren't out to the side and you can reach the ground easier. Also once your actually riding, the height is no problem and is actually better for riding on road as you have a more comanding position on the bike

sels1
19th March 2005, 10:52
Tips and tricks for women... dunno- watch out for fucktards in Pajeros? Same as for the boys, I'd say!

Well put Jaz!
Welcome aboard the site, Baby R . Keep the rubber side down and beware of anything on 4 or more wheels

FROSTY
19th March 2005, 11:28
Do you really think you should be encouraging learner riders to be trick riding, Tony? Tut tut.
well let me see now --ohh yea -newbee rider pulls HUUGE mono before hitting parked car. --ohh hang on that really happened :shake:

babyB
19th March 2005, 13:08
hay ya baby R welcome
you just need to watch the road angles when ya stop lmao

i lowered the front forks & rear suspention on my bandit. it gave a little more security so to speak .

Jeremy
19th March 2005, 15:37
hi ya and welcome to the site...

Ok 158cm = 5 foot 2 inches tall.... had to get my tape measure out...lol.
Im 4 foot 12 inches tall and I ride a cruiser.... as I can't reach the ground on many bikes at all, and I like to place both feet on the ground when just sitting on the bike going nowhere (like at lights etc)

The weight of the bike you will get used to it.... give it time.
I sat on a mates CBR250RR recently and it felt quite light compared to mine...but my feet didnt touch the ground...lol..... tis a buggar being short aye.

You say you dont like the cruiser style... have you actually gone around and sat on a few and even test ridden a couple of them....
it is a different style to ride compared to the sportsbikes.
Riff Raff can tell you that - she went from the Honda Rebel cruiser to a sports.

I personally prefer the cruiser to ride.... due to a number of reasons...

As others have suggested go around all the bike shops and sit on every style of bike.... and take a few out to ride..... you maybe surprised at riding a cruiser.

The more you ride the bike the more you become one with her.
Good luck in finding your own bike.

Where I come from we usually call 4 foot 12 inches , 5 foot.

Anyway according to the road code the most you can usually handle is a bike 3x your weight. So unless you weigh less than 65kg that opens up most of the bikes to you.

crashe
19th March 2005, 16:04
Where I come from we usually call 4 foot 12 inches , 5 foot.

Yep but I got sick of people saying to me after I said I was 5 foot... they would say "5 foot WHAT?"
So I changed it to 4 foot 12 inches.... it shuts them up for a bit as they then try to work it out..lol.

I dont feel that I need to say that I am 5 foot no inches either...lol
cos they still say "5 foot WHAT?"

Velox
20th March 2005, 00:39
I reckon bike's feel heavier when you sit on them and try and see how heavy they are - when you're riding it's not nearly so bad. Like they've all said - you won't notice it after a while.

Good on you for getting into it though! :niceone: We need more gals out there eh?! (I'm sure the lads will agree!)

Btw that's so true about Pajeros - every slow, smokey, dodgey 4WD I've been behind recently has been a Pajero!

John
20th March 2005, 01:13
Well on the same topic - I saw a young lady abit shorter than me (5'7") on a buell (blast?) and she looked very tiny on it (dont know if they are here, group of three riding through dargaville caltex) I was lonering it down SH14 and saw her get off - nothing like chicks on bikes, anywho I was amazed the way she managed the bike maybe its there wheel base but she seemed happy on it - maybe you should go for a test ride.

I dunno, I'm not big - and light as well like 5'7"/5'6" 60kg - But the only bikes I'd keep away from is the ZX12r and Hayabusas.

Only real trouble you might have is 'reversing' but you will figure it out, I cant add much more positive stuff, lots of negative stuff about short incidents that occured to me but I'll save that for my 21st lol.

Pixie
20th March 2005, 01:19
In case no one has heard this,Pajero apparently is slang for wanker in spanish or portugese(not sure which)

flyin
22nd March 2005, 09:45
tony was saying that bikes can be modified to fit little people, not for performance/stunt abitily.....
shorter shocks, and a lower seat mean someone 5 foot no inches can reach the ground when stopped.

and how else is one gunna do tricks if they dont learn?!... everyones learning all the time a.............

flyin
22nd March 2005, 09:46
Spanish. Approxiimate pronunciation = Pa HEro, with a sort of throaty sound to the "H" sound, and roll the "R" - just don't get caught rolling your r's in public (unless you're a sexy chick then it's OK)

woody68
22nd March 2005, 17:50
There are two blasts for sale in bike trader at the moment cheap to.
Check out there web site

jazbug5
22nd March 2005, 18:08
tony was saying that bikes can be modified to fit little people, not for performance/stunt abitily.....
shorter shocks, and a lower seat mean someone 5 foot no inches can reach the ground when stopped.

and how else is one gunna do tricks if they dont learn?!... everyones learning all the time a.............

duuuuhhhh....

Tony said "...of course thre are always ways to modify bikes so their easier for shorter people to stand on..."
and you see, it looked like he was saying they could be modified so the rider could stand on their bike, you see instead of sit on them...
Oh, never mind. *mutter, mutter*

jazbug5
22nd March 2005, 18:09
you know, like a joke....?

Hitcher
22nd March 2005, 18:18
How do you girls out there ride / handle bigger bikes?

Mrs H is 5'2" and rides a Suzuki VZ800 Marauder. She enjoys long distance touring (200+km day trips are minimum distance rides for us mostly).

You'll find that height (or lack of) is the biggest limiting factor in your choice of ride. While you may lust after sportsbikes, if your feet can't touch the ground or even if you have to tippee toe, you're going to put yourself and your ride at risk of some damage. There's not much in the way of (sensible) modifications that can be done to help either.

Cruisers are great fun and they're not that much slower point-to-point on public roads than sportsbikes either.

woody68
22nd March 2005, 19:06
Check out Bike Rider Mag issue 23 page 33 lady there got a lowered CBR 600.

MadDuck
22nd March 2005, 20:52
When I was looking at upgrading I asked all the questions on here and I vaguely remember WT saying that most Suzukis come with lowering kits for us vertically challenged individuals (I am sure he will say if I have that fact incorrect).

You have a huge resource of knowledge and expertise here so I suggest you use it. Read some of the older threads before you decide. Try before you buy and try them all.

Nice to see another gal getting into bikes :banana:

BABY R
22nd March 2005, 23:39
Thanks guys!

I will probably ride my b/f's CBR250 until I get my full anyway...
Just wanted to know what was available out there for short people.

Nice knowing you all!
You girl riders are so cooool! :niceone:

I hope to join you soon for a ride....

Stroker Girl
23rd March 2005, 13:05
Hi Baby R. I found this website the other day which has some interesting info for gal bikers including some info for newbies and the vertically challenged. Hopefully I've put the link on correctly.

http://www.bikegirl.co.uk/resources/newbies/whichbike.html

Good luck with your next bike. If you are looking for a light learners bike until you get your full, the 150cc (i.e the fxr, kr, rg, rgv) are a good choice. Most of them are pretty low to the ground are are light and easy to move. Though if you like the power of the 250 they might seem a little tame in comparison tho the 2 stroke 150cc are pretty peppy.

Hopefully catch up with you on a KB ride in the future.

NC
23rd March 2005, 13:14
. Hopefully I've put the link on correctly.

Heh,
That's awesome, oh I really liked the 'hunk' page :love:

ManDownUnder
23rd March 2005, 15:30
Heh,

OI - I object to that... that's just subjugating men for the pleasure of women... I mean... it's just treting them like a piece of meat!

Do you imagine that us guys would even consider doing that with pictures .... of.. ... umm.... women... ummm...

... hang on a mo... I'll need to think this one through...

NC
23rd March 2005, 16:07
OI - I object to that... that's just subjugating men for the pleasure of women... I mean... it's just treting them like a piece of meat!

Do you imagine that us guys would even consider doing that with pictures .... of.. ... umm.... women... ummm...

... hang on a mo... I'll need to think this one through...
:cool: Champion

slob
23rd March 2005, 16:29
When it comes to dirt bikes, most people (e.g. me at 5ft 7in) have trouble touching the ground. With my XR, I have to hop off the seat and stand on one leg at traffic lights. Doesn't worry me, unless the road's on a funny camber and/or it's really windy. It's actually kind of nice to stretch the legs every now and then like that..

Riff Raff
23rd March 2005, 17:57
Heh,

He he - ditto. So which hunk are you going to go for?

NC
23rd March 2005, 18:08
He he - ditto. So which hunk are you going to go for?
All of them!
I have issues! Mine mine mine mine mine me me me me now now now now now gimme gimme gimme gimme :D :D

Riff Raff
23rd March 2005, 19:07
All of them!
I have issues! Mine mine mine mine mine me me me me now now now now now gimme gimme gimme gimme :D :D
That's just being greedy!!! :bleh: How are you going to fit 10 blokes in with all the other stuff in your life?

NC
23rd March 2005, 20:41
That's just being greedy!!! :bleh: How are you going to fit 10 blokes in with all the other stuff in your life?
I have studied cryogenics

Slipstream
23rd March 2005, 20:54

Was that before or after developing the theory of bovine manure? :spudwhat:

;)

Oh yeah BTW
Welcome Baby R :wari:

Hitcher
23rd March 2005, 21:03
Could be interesting if you decide to use one without properly thawing him. Brrrrrr

Mopsy
23rd March 2005, 21:04
I know what you mean, I'm still learning and I rode a bandit 250cc first my now ex bf and yeap I dropped it too..but thats not why we broke up hee hee :2thumbsup

I'm looking for a bike too, I really like honda vtr but haven't sat on one yet, I would like a bandit again but after dropping it on my leg it kinda put me off. What do you guys mean you get used to the weight, when you are riding as well as when you feel if falling over? :confused:

ManDownUnder
24th March 2005, 08:12
That's just being greedy!!! :bleh: How are you going to fit 10 blokes in?

At the risk of misquoting someone just for a stir... I'd really like to know the answer to this...
:whistle:
MDU

NC
24th March 2005, 15:58
Could be interesting if you decide to use one without properly thawing him. Brrrrrr
He'd be hard though

Hitcher
24th March 2005, 17:10
He'd be hard though
And, if the prophet is to be believed, a hard man is good to find?

Riff Raff
24th March 2005, 17:11
Amen to that!!! :msn-wink:

Redstar
24th March 2005, 22:15
Did I see you at the Paeroa streets dressed as paramedic and who was the lady with you she seemed nice! and those uniforms wow!

I was trying to fake a heart attack but was totally ignored?

Slipstream
25th March 2005, 01:32

But I also believe that a good man is hard to find too. :whistle:

Riff Raff
25th March 2005, 08:55
Did I see you at the Paeroa streets dressed as paramedic and who was the lady with you she seemed nice! and those uniforms wow!

I was trying to fake a heart attack but was totally ignored?
Yes I was in the sexy green and yellow overalls. You'll have to improve your faking skills if you want to draw our attention away from the bikes!!!

Biff
28th March 2005, 22:30
But I also believe that a good man is hard to find too. :whistle:

Ahemm. Hi - how u dooin?

chic 'n' charge
30th March 2005, 18:31
I remember when I first started riding - wooohoooo what a rush....all until I got totally cocky (as learners tend to do) and ended up biffing my RD250LC down the road...... :thud: Started off on 100cc tho.

My tip for you - being a chick and all is to take your time. You will find a bike that suits you - don't rush into getting bigger engine, take the time to have fun on a smaller bike first and get used to riding on different roads and in different weather conditions.

Only you will know when you are ready to move on up in the world of engine size - but be careful, unfortunately guy salesmen will sell ya flashy expensive bikes even if you can't reach the ground. Shop around, there's plenty out there. Even grab a few K.Bers and take them with ya - I'm sure someone would go to bike shop with ya - :2thumbsup

Things don't happen overnight so chill out and take your time - trust me - you'll enjoy the bigger bikes more if you do. :scooter:

Hope this helps. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Aitch
4th April 2005, 20:57
I know what you mean, I'm still learning and I rode a bandit 250cc first my now ex bf and yeap I dropped it too..but thats not why we broke up hee hee :2thumbsup

I'm looking for a bike too, I really like honda vtr but haven't sat on one yet, I would like a bandit again but after dropping it on my leg it kinda put me off. What do you guys mean you get used to the weight, when you are riding as well as when you feel if falling over? :confused:
Where are flopsy and Cotton Tail?

MadDuck
11th April 2005, 21:31
Damn cool to meet you at Taupo Baby R.

I trust you are now inspired to get your own bike having seen some of the girls out there. Look forward to seeing you on some KB rides on YOUR OWN BIKE.

:ride:

BABY R
11th April 2005, 21:55
It was nice meeting you too MadDuck. It is always nice to know that there are other women bikers out there too.

Hopefully I will get my own bike in the near future. But for the mean time, I will be riding the CBR250RR.

Beemer
13th April 2005, 18:10
Baby R, good to hear you are thinking of the future! I started off on an RG150 and couldn't even reach the ground on that - I'm 153cm! I got it lowered and had three years of fun on it before upgrading to a BMW F650CS. Yes, low seat height, but VERY wide and weighs 189kg. Have ridden it for a couple of years but never had the same level of confidence as with the RG so have got it up for sale and have just bought a Suzuki SG350 Goose. Stupid name, but fantastic bike to ride. Goes well, corners like it's on rails and is really low. 770mm seat height I think. I am not into cruisers either, so this is another alternative to what has already been suggested. I think I was lucky enough to get the last new one in NZ but there are some second hand ones around if you look. Phil Turnbulls in Palmerston North had one in there last week.

Goddess of Goof
14th May 2005, 01:21
Hi Baby R. I found this website the other day which has some interesting info for gal bikers including some info for newbies and the vertically challenged. Hopefully I've put the link on correctly.

Hey stroker girl, that was an interesting link.... a bit tooo pink,
me thinks,
but interesting to see what the UK girls get into.
Adored the Hunks. I reckon Tony Rees is a God of Motorcycling here in NZ .... as good looking a racer as any WSB guy ........why isn't he featured huh ?

Noticed that the Site's Gossip & Chat forum had about 3,000 posts, and the site technical thread had 4. Obviously a Nerd free zone.

Sorry this was Off Topic:whocares: On topic ------

My Suzuki RF 400 has a lowered seat, I'm 5.5" so my tootsies touch the tarmac. Trouble is, it's a bit too large and heavy for me, although I have grown into it, and learned to handle her correctly. There are times tho when I've been glad of a hand from male riding buddy to park it.

My Yamaha FZR 250 is a total sweetie and perfect for someone getting into sportbikes. Pity they don't make them anymore. Worldwide, the small bikes and pocket rockets are vanishing........ curious, as I'd have thought that the opposite would apply.

If WOMEN MADE MOTORCYCLES now, that'd be a fine thing !!!

:ride:

Odin
14th May 2005, 01:55
Welcome in Baby-R. and let me confess here that its not just newbie female riders that have the felling of the bike being to heavy. I have the same problem with my Honda magna 750 :o . Se here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=11994)

BestFun : Great site hope its ok i sneak in and have a look at the tips too. Though most of it was tought to me as i got my license, but that was in 92 and a refrech is good

jaybee180
12th June 2005, 11:56
Thought about this thread after my little experience last weekend.

Haven't had my bike for long and took it out last weekend as the weather finally came right for a couple of hours.

Only to get halfway round and I dropped it!!! Luckily I wasn't hurt and only minor damage to the bike BUT.......... then I couldn't pick it up!!!! Sat on the side of the road for 40 minutes waiting for someone to come by but as I was out in the country (avoiding cars (!) as I'm still a real beginner) there were none to be seen. Eventually had to call someone to come out and pick it up for me. Most embarrasing and did nothing for my confidence. Have been in to see about having it lowered as although I can get my feet on the ground I'm on tippy toes and not very stable. I'm fine when I'm going but absolute crap when I'm stationary. Not good at lights etc ........

So I'm not getting back on it until it's lowered. Can't afford the cost of repairs every time I drop it (not to mention the damage to the ego!)

Ixion
12th June 2005, 12:17
Thought about this thread after my little experience last weekend.

Haven't had my bike for long and took it out last weekend as the weather finally came right for a couple of hours.

Only to get halfway round and I dropped it!!! Luckily I wasn't hurt and only minor damage to the bike BUT.......... then I couldn't pick it up!!!! ..although I can get my feet on the ground I'm on tippy toes and not very stable. I'm fine when I'm going but absolute crap when I'm stationary. Not good at lights etc ........

So I'm not getting back on it until it's lowered. Can't afford the cost of repairs every time I drop it (not to mention the damage to the ego!)

There's a trick to lifting a bike. If you know the technique even a very small person can lift quite a big bike.

Basically, assuming the bikes on it's side, but still on the road (if it's in a ditch that's a bigger problem) , what you is :

Stand beside the bike , on the side the seat is , with your back to the bike, and about 1 to 2 feet away from it (ie you are facing away from the horizontal bike with your back to the seat bit.

Now squat down enough that you can get one hand on the lowest handlebar, and the other grabbing the frame somewhere to the rear of where you normally sit. It's going to depend a bit on the bike, your height and theangle the bikes on. If you can't reach move a bit closer.

Now sort of duck walk backward and straighten up as you do it. You'll find that you'll life the bike quite easily (really, you will, you don't have to be a weightlifter). As the bike comes up , you move backwards , closer and closer, until the bikes is upright enough for you to turn and stand it up in the normal way.

I'm a short [ass/arse delete which ever is unwanted] myself ,and no Mr Muscle, but I've been able to life really heavy bikes this way.

I find I can't get both feet down on many bikes, I'm lucky if I can get one foot on most.

You can get used to it, you just lean the bike over a LOT when you stop so that you can get a foot down. Accept that you're only going ever to have one foot on the ground. I've never found an actual need for the both feet down paddle thing. You'll tend to do a litle swerve as you move off , but it's no real problem. Just got to watch the camber REAL carefully.

Incidentally, the problems is as much to do with width as height. The Whale has a LOWER seat height than my old Triumph, but I have a LOT more trouble getting a foot down, because the bike is so much wider at the seat bit.

Originally it was really bad , but I modified the seat to make it an inch narrower on each side , and that made a big difference

I HATE this modern trend for stupid wide seats.Look at an old British bike, they had the best riding position ever, and the front of the seat/rear of tank area is always really narrow.

crashe
12th June 2005, 12:35
There's a trick to lifting a bike. If you know the technique even a very small person can lift quite a big bike.

Basically, assuming the bikes on it's side, but still on the road (if it's in a ditch that's a bigger problem) , what you is :

Stand beside the bike , on the side the seat is , with your back to the bike, and about 1 to 2 feet away from it (ie you are facing away from the horizontal bike with your back to the seat bit.

Now squat down enough that you can get one hand on the lowest handlebar, and the other grabbing the frame somewhere to the rear of where you normally sit. It's going to depend a bit on the bike, your height and theangle the bikes on. If you can't reach move a bit closer.

Now sort of duck walk backward and straighten up as you do it. You'll find that you'll life the bike quite easily (really, you will, you don't have to be a weightlifter). As the bike comes up , you move backwards , closer and closer, until the bikes is upright enough for you to turn and stand it up in the normal way.

Thanks for this tip.... I shall remember this in the future....
not that Im planning on dropping my bike.

jazbug5
12th June 2005, 13:01
Yep- good advice- beat me to it!

Just to be a nanna here, though- LIFT USING YOUR LEG MUSCLES.
I'm sure you would anyway, but it's worth stressing the point. I did a search on the net for 'bike lifting techniques' after I got the wee n and found this American woman who appears to tour bike shows over there demonstrating this technique. Just found this site (http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html) so have a look there for pictures (not too sure about her... um... 'protective' gear, though) it's not the one I mentioned originally. I think her handle is something like 'V Twin Mamma' or some equally cheesy thing.

Keystone19
12th June 2005, 15:23
Hi jaybee180

I dropped my VTR250 the day after I picked it up on a back road out of Wanganui a few weeks back. Had to wait for a farmer to come along and help me pick it up! Would have been helpful to have had the advice on picking up the bike before I dropped it! Luckily no damage done to me or the bike. The farmer was a bit surprised to come across me standing in the middle of the road with my hands on my hips though!!

Can't give you any help on feet touching the ground though. Mine are flat on the ground. Love that bike! :niceone:

Will
12th June 2005, 20:08
Before my latest bike , I had an older CBR 600. Very top heavy. So I was dropping it somewhat regular ( once is regular and I managed 3).
The last time I dropped it was at an intersection in rush hour. The camber was sharp and when I put my foot down, the ground wasn't close enough.
So here I am, standing over a terrible sight, thinking how the hell am I going to pick that back up!!!
Then I had the brainwave, walked over to the footpath , took my gloves and helmet off, and by the time I turned back to the bike, I had 2 muscley men out of their trucks, rushing over to me, saying what happened there dear.
So it is one of the few times I pull the Girl Card out of my pocket. :whistle:

I have those sliders on my latest CBR and they work a treat. I haven't droped it yet. (The weight distribution is lower) :Punk:

jaybee180
12th June 2005, 22:05
Thanks for that Ixion - will give it a crack - not that I want to get the bike on it's side again. I've had a number of different methods described to me - and even had someone come out and try to teach me but I still couldn't get it up (oooppppsss - that sounds like a man thing doesn't it?). But will give this a go. It's a bit unnerving when you're in the middle of the road at a blind corner and you're just waiting for someone to come hooning around the corner to wipe your pride and joy out (not to mention what they will do to themselves.).

Anyhow I've found out how to have it lowered so that should help a bit. At least until I get some confidence again..........

jaybee180
12th June 2005, 22:06
Oh ......... and I have to get the gear lever and the clutch fixed first as well ......... MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm can see that this learning gig could cost me a bit of money.

crashe
13th June 2005, 17:07

I'm sure you would anyway, but it's worth stressing the point. I did a search on the net for 'bike lifting techniques' after I got the wee n and found this American woman who appears to tour bike shows over there demonstrating this technique. Just found this site (http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html) so have a look there for pictures (not too sure about her... um... 'protective' gear, though) it's not the one I mentioned originally. I think her handle is something like 'V Twin Mamma' or some equally cheesy thing.

Great wee site to have a look at Jazbug..... with good pics showing you as well.

Qkchk
17th June 2005, 16:07
Hiya,

I'm new to the site, just been reading on which bike might suit a small-build lady. Im not sure if anyone else has mentioned a SV650 or not (it's such a long thread, I'd be here all day reading it.. ;)) but Ive been told by other riders that the SV is a perfered bike of the ladies. I'm 174cm and about 69kgs (Im a truck driver so have well-built shoulders and arms) and I'm riding a 210+kg bike. I did my time on a ZXR250 and it taught me well. I find that you can handle a bike as long as you can place both of your feet firmly on the ground. (I can't practise my own preaching - I'm tippy-toeing on my Busa but Im used to big bikes so just work with it. I can say that I've had a few close calls when it comes to turning / moving bike around @ low speeds.. :rofl: )

The best thing you can do for yourself is attend a day course with BRONZ or with Passrite. You will always pick up on new things and it may just save your life! There is NO substitute for experience, time will bring confidence. Make the most of the wet weather riding, it may be scarey but if you can learn to ride in the rain, you can ride anytime.

Keep us posted. :love:

MadDuck
17th June 2005, 20:31
Hi QKCHK

Theres one or two (umm I know of 4) of us gals on here have the SV650. I had mine lowered as I am not a small gal just short and can just touch the ground on mine! They are great bikes but its about finding the right bike for you be you a bloke or a gal, a gorilla or a chimp (not to be taken personally)

Welcome to the site and see you on your first KB ride.... :Punk:

Estrella
17th June 2005, 22:14

Hey thanks for that link, lifting my little but heavy beastie has been playing on my mind.

I've gots ta get me one of those skerts!

MadDuck
17th June 2005, 22:48

Ixion you been here for five minutes and you have a say on absolutely EVERYTHING hence the huge posting numbers. You aint a gal so stay off the thread and wait for someone that knows what they are talking about. We are not all weak females. Dont be so damn polite gals there are US websites for us to refer to. You want the link PM me cos NZ boys are just that NZ boys

IMHO
The MadDuck

Ixion
17th June 2005, 22:51
What brought on that tantrum pray? Other than an urge to general rudeness?

MadDuck
17th June 2005, 23:07
Yeah well I am just damn rude ..ask anyone around here

FROSTY
17th June 2005, 23:28
cut it out you two :mad: --no need for nastiness--we're all bikers here
the thread was from a womans prospective ixion maybee summat to think about.

MadDuck
17th June 2005, 23:36
Thaks Mr Frosty. Ixion has an opinion and thats it

froggyfrenchman
7th August 2005, 19:32
you still have that boyfriend??? he must be very forgiving!!!!

Welcome to the site :spudwave:

You have to b 4giving when you have a good woman into bikes!

SARGE
7th August 2005, 23:47
unfortunately guy salesmen will sell ya flashy expensive bikes even if you can't reach the ground.

i think i resnt that CnC.. i cant speak for all of us, but i try my best to fit each customer into the bike thats best for them.. male of female.. young or old..i dont want to sell you just ONE bike.. i want you to be happy enough to trade it back in with ME several times.. how can i do that if i sell you a big flashy bike that you wont be happy with ( unhappy with the bike.. unhappy with me..)

i look at each customer as a future investment... not as a one shot deal..

Wellyman
8th August 2005, 01:57
Welcome. I belive the GN250 is one of the lowest bikes you can buy, a bit gutless though.
WM

Beemer
8th August 2005, 10:04
Where are flopsy and Cotton Tail?

I don't know about Cotton Tail, but as I look out my study window I can see Flopsy eating grass! (We named one of our last year's lambs Flopsy - she comes over when you call her and climbs on the fence for a piece of bread!)

As for advice on lifting bikes, does it matter that Ixion is a male? Jazzbug was the only other female to offer any advice on lifting bikes and it's not like Ixion was being patronising. Many guys find it hard to lift bikes and let's face it, a lot of us females - speaking for myself here, MadDuck, I've never met you so you may be built like a brick shithouse for all I know - are fairly petite and so need all the help we can get when lifting bikes. Thankfully there were people around to help when I dropped my bike (all when learning), but a friend taught me how to lift my bike so I would be okay if it happened when I was alone. The fact this friend was a female was irrelevant - she just happened to have the same type of bike as I did and had been taught how to lift it.

There is not one 'right' bike for shorter people of either sex - some short people are very confident riders and are happy to be on tip toes or only get one foot down, others are petrified unless they can get both feet flat on the floor. A lot depends on the weight of the bike too. My RG150 was only 128kg but until I had it lowered, it scared the shit out of me! The BMW weighs 189kg and although it is only 780mm high, the seat is very wide, as is the body of the bike, and I don't feel confident on it at low speeds or when I have to stop on any roads that aren't flat. The Goose is 770mm, 145kg and very skinny and my confidence has returned in bucket loads. I have no fear of stopping ANYWHERE and slopes no longer scare me.

I sat on a Suzuki SV650 but found it too tall for me, although I know a shorter woman who rides one without any problems. It all comes down to your level of skill and your confidence. I could only reach the ground with my tip toes on a Honda XRB200, but it was very skinny and only weighed 113kg so I had no trouble sliding off the seat when I stopped - something I wouldn't feel happy doing with a heavier bike.

ktee
8th August 2005, 11:42
I brought a Kawasaki ZZR250 to learn on (sharing with Hubby). I found it heavy until I did my basic skills course, came home and didn't really feel the weight the same. But ... I can ride this bike at 50k and higher no probs but as someone very blunt pointed out ... that is not riding, the real skill in riding is when the bike is going slow ... if you can control it without feeling like the weight of the bike is going to take over, then you are truly riding.
I was told the ZZR was a sports bike and would not allow me to master and practice my slow riding skills because the ZZR is built for speed. I was told to try a Suzuki GN250 and ditch my ZZR! NO WAY - I too love the look of Sports Bikes and wasn't keen on cruiser style.
However after dwelling on my dilema of not wanting to part with my ZZR and really wanting to feel in control of my bike at carpark speed - I picked up, at a bargain price a GN250 off Trademe. This was a perfect solution coz I didn't have to part with my ZZR.
Wow ... I am having so much more fun on this bike. It's really giving me the confidence with slow riding and it's not that slow. Mine is 1984 and sounds really grunty even thou its only a 250.
So put aside the "I don't like cruiser style" thoughts and go to a bike shop and just try one. You can't progress from 250 until you have your full license so find a bike that you feel comfortable on in all situations and worry about look after you have mastered the riding skills that will make you a better rider.

Hey Baby-R .... just my thoughts and take from it what you will ... Safe riding. K :ride:

Beemer
8th August 2005, 12:00
I brought a Kawasaki ZZR250 to learn on (sharing with Hubby). I found it heavy until I did my basic skills course, came home and didn't really feel the weight the same. But ... I can ride this bike at 50k and higher no probs but as someone very blunt pointed out ... that is not riding, the real skill in riding is when the bike is going slow ... if you can control it without feeling like the weight of the bike is going to take over, then you are truly riding.
I was told the ZZR was a sports bike and would not allow me to master and practice my slow riding skills because the ZZR is built for speed. I was told to try a Suzuki GN250 and ditch my ZZR! NO WAY - I too love the look of Sports Bikes and wasn't keen on cruiser style.
However after dwelling on my dilema of not wanting to part with my ZZR and really wanting to feel in control of my bike at carpark speed - I picked up, at a bargain price a GN250 off Trademe. This was a perfect solution coz I didn't have to part with my ZZR.
Wow ... I am having so much more fun on this bike. It's really giving me the confidence with slow riding and it's not that slow. Mine is 1984 and sounds really grunty even thou its only a 250.
So put aside the "I don't like cruiser style" thoughts and go to a bike shop and just try one. You can't progress from 250 until you have your full license so find a bike that you feel comfortable on in all situations and worry about look after you have mastered the riding skills that will make you a better rider.

Hey Baby-R .... just my thoughts and take from it what you will ... Safe riding. K :ride:

You deserve some rep for that post, ktee. You are so right - it is the low speed stuff that makes you a good rider because you need to be able to control your bike (not the other way around) in all situations. I know once I had my RG150 lowered (I didn't have the option of buying another bike) my confidence rose significantly and I had so much more fun on the bike. The BMW dented my confidence somewhat, due to not being happy at low speeds and when stopping - but since buying the Goose, I have regained my confidence and really enjoy riding again. Filtering through traffic at the lights? No problems. Following a line of traffic going at less than 5kph - pfft - no worries! Stopping in a hurry and having to put my feet down? No fear.

Even my husband has noticed how much more fun I am having now - on a 350! And that is what riding is all about - having fun. It doesn't matter if you are on the latest sportsbike or a GN250 or even a Harley - it that is what puts the smile on your dial, go for it!

ktee
8th August 2005, 12:19
You deserve some rep for that post, ktee. You are so right - it is the low speed stuff that makes you a good rider because you need to be able to control your bike (not the other way around) in all situations. I know once I had my RG150 lowered (I didn't have the option of buying another bike) my confidence rose significantly and I had so much more fun on the bike. The BMW dented my confidence somewhat, due to not being happy at low speeds and when stopping - but since buying the Goose, I have regained my confidence and really enjoy riding again. Filtering through traffic at the lights? No problems. Following a line of traffic going at less than 5kph - pfft - no worries! Stopping in a hurry and having to put my feet down? No fear.

Even my husband has noticed how much more fun I am having now - on a 350! And that is what riding is all about - having fun. It doesn't matter if you are on the latest sportsbike or a GN250 or even a Harley - it that is what puts the smile on your dial, go for it!
Thanx Beemer, I agree with your thoughts and you said them so well. Cheers.

Pixie
8th August 2005, 20:16
The design is refered to as Feet Forward,and the Gurney Alligator is the latest in a long line of examples going back to the Ner-A-Car of the 20's.I experimented with one in the eighties with a Hossack style front suspension.
http://www.allamericanracers.com/alligator/alligator_photo27.html

PS Beemer; it's a single

texmo
8th August 2005, 21:51
That looks more like a scooter than a bike....

Pixie
9th August 2005, 00:09
The motor is a 750cc single (a honda bottom end with Gurney head and barrel).The bike out accelerates and brakes 600 supersport bikes.

InDeSkyz
18th August 2005, 23:05
one point I've fountd with all my female freinds --make sure ya jacket keeps ya kidneys etc warm--

Why do you need to keep your kidneys warm?

scumdog
18th August 2005, 23:07
The design is refered to as Feet Forward,and the Gurney Alligator is the latest in a long line of examples going back to the Ner-A-Car of the 20's.I experimented with one in the eighties with a Hossack style front suspension.
http://www.allamericanracers.com/alligator/alligator_photo27.html

PS Beemer; it's a single

What stopped you from getting a bit of 'lean' on that bike???

ManDownUnder
22nd August 2005, 09:52
Why do you need to keep your kidneys warm?

Couple of reasons...

A biggy is kidney chill. If they get chilled they can get infected (nasties heading back up to the kidneys from the bladder). Once you have the infection you're peeing bloody every 10 mins for a week - and it's just plain awful. I know it - I've been there.

The worst part is that you don;t feel them cooling off (well you do at first, but after that...) so they can be chilled good and proper before you know what's going on.

Beyond that - posture, muscle support and safety in the event you come off all come to mind...

MDU

SDU
22nd August 2005, 15:08
Welcome to the site Baby R & Qkchk
At 5'1 I too have trouble finding bikes that fit, It is not just height it is the seating position, is a comfy reach to the bars. Some pocket rockets are low but the reach over the tank to be comfy. You will find what fits you eventually.
Like all have said: As you get more confident the weight & height limits will change allowing you more choice.
I'm not into cruisers (although the GN250 was the lowest road bike I've ridden) and found dirt bikes good to learn on. They are light can be lowered easier, but there are some real giants in the range but dirt bikes are what got me riding. I find my Serow/ XT250 real light, (light to pick up too) easy to flick around town, (jump speed bumps, kerbs... :nono: ) and fun dirt riding as well. It is a easy bike to build confidence on and good for friends learning.
But off a shock to jump on the Le mans weight wise but it is a confidence thing that grows, just hope I don't have to practise the technique off picking it up. :no: :no:
Good luck Baby R and take your time.
SDU

Qkchk
24th August 2005, 15:15
Hi QKCHK

They are great bikes but its about finding the right bike for you be you a bloke or a gal, a gorilla or a chimp (not to be taken personally)

Depends on if I'm in the 'chimp or gorilla' bracket....... :)

Nah I'm only 172cms and 70kgs. Suppose I am bigger statue than most ladies but I'm sure not beefy :rofl:

NC
24th August 2005, 17:33
Depends on if I'm in the 'chimp or gorilla' bracket....... :)

Nah I'm only 172cms and 70kgs. Suppose I am bigger statue than most ladies but I'm sure not beefy :rofl:
What's that in feet? damn old school parents..

crashe
24th August 2005, 17:45
Nah I'm only 172cms and 70kgs. Suppose I am bigger statue than most ladies but I'm sure not beefy

What's that in feet? damn old school parents..

well 1.8 = 180cm = 6 foot
So Qkchk is a bit shorter than 6 foot.

Ok I went an got the tape measure out just for you NC...
172cm = 5 foot 7 3/4 inches tall

inlinefour
25th August 2005, 01:02
HI,

Do you girls out there find motorbikes a bit heavy to handle? I am currently riding / sharing a CBR250RR with my boyfriend and I find it a bit heavy. I went to Cyclespot a while back and had a sit on a VTR1000 and CBR600RR and realised that I can't reach the floor, looks like I might have to stick with the 250cc. Well even with the 250, it is quite a handful on hills and parking.

Thanks

Nice meeting you all.

I sometimes feel like a giant on it. A friend who is just over 5 ft can cope with it and its not even on the lowest setting for the shocks. Also it looks like a few inches could be taken out of the seat quite easily. Will be probably up for sale as soon as I get my mitts onto a new cbr600rr :wait:

macchicat
3rd October 2005, 11:43
I have been riding for 4 years and did not want to be relegated to a cruiser style bike, which alot of people said I had no choice due to being only 5.1". My first bike after getting my full was an GS500e, which I dropped a few times as I did not have much foot on the ground. It was suggested I take it to Linton at Dirt Action Services (dirt-action.co.nz) who lowered it for me. As I got more confident I traded up to an SV650s, which I could not even test ride due to having 'ducks disease". This was purchased in Nelson and shipped straight down to Linton @ DAS in Chch to do the modifications. On picking it up I was still not 100% comfortable with it, so have added 20cm to my boots and had the seat shaved on the top and sides. So......where there is a will, there is a way! I have heard the Monster is easily lowered and thought when I am ready to jump up in cc, I may look at one.

Good luck & ride well :niceone:

Full throttle
13th October 2005, 19:14
[QUOTE=BABY R]HI,

Thanks

I just got my restricted at the end of July. I ride a honda VTR 250 for my own personal use and a honda CT110 for work. Riding the CT110 loaded up with mail every day got me used to weight. I actually prefer the weight as the bike sticks to the road better. Parking a motorbike is all about technique. I had trouble in the beginning just getting the bike on the centre stand until my husband showed me that my technique was all wrong. Keep perservering, it will get easier with time.
I use my bike every day to get to work but my husband and I also go on rides together at the weekends. I pretty much use my bike as my number one transport. I hardly ever drive the car nowadays.

SDU
14th October 2005, 11:24
... and did not want to be relegated to a cruiser style bike, which alot of people said I had no choice due to being only 5.1". [QUOTE=macchicat]
It's good to prove them wrong!
My first bike after getting my full was an GS500e, which I dropped a few times as I did not have much foot on the ground. It was suggested I take it to Linton at Dirt Action Services (dirt-action.co.nz) who lowered it for me. As I got more confident I traded up to an SV650s, which I could not even test ride due to having 'ducks disease". This was purchased in Nelson and shipped straight down to Linton @ DAS in Chch to do the modifications.

I remember seeing Linton doing lowering work on a SV650, giving me hope off another possible choice for when I got my full.-I didn't have it then. :niceone:
Linton is really encouraging when it comes to getting us girls on 2 wheels.
He sometimes sets up a (WOW) woman on wheels day up for girls to get together for a trail ride, & helps those who haven't given it ago before do so. So if there are any locals out there wanting to have ago drop in to there shop/ call Linton to see if there is any coming up. I've been on a couple & had lots off fun, it is a good way to meet a few more riders. :drinkup:
SDU

Beemer
14th October 2005, 16:13
On picking it up I was still not 100% comfortable with it, so have added 20cm to my boots and had the seat shaved on the top and sides.

20cm? Are you sure, or did you mean two centimetres? 20cm is about eight inches and I think you would find it impossible to change gear with boots like that!

I know what you mean about the SV650 - they are quite tall, although I have seen a woman shorter than me (I'm also 5'1") riding one. The Goose is perfect for me and I could have ridden the 1000cc Cagiva Raptor if I'd really wanted to throw my money away! The BMW comes with a lower seat option but it's still quite wide.