PDA

View Full Version : Fines for driving on pedestrian malls

Phcyso
26th May 2009, 23:13
Hi all

Earlier tonight i was driving through Auckland University after picking up my girlfriend and went down Alfred Avenue and to my surprise got waved over by a bike cop catching people driving down that road.

now i was pretty sure that motorbikes were not aloud down that road but not entirely sure. Because of that I was not too surprised that the cop took my license and took my details for a $150 fine.
and as i am on my restricted license and i had my GF on the back i was a bit more worried then i usually would be.

he was nice enough to let me off that offense with a warning, which was great because a 650$ fine would have been a bit harder to swallow

now my question is where does it say that there s a $150 fine for going down that road?
as far as i can find there is nothing online that states that. the original proposal says nothing about enforcing infringement.

now i guess i will see when i get my ticket in the mail exactly what law i broke, but anyone have any ideas exactly where it is written that there is a penalty of 150$ of driving down a pedestrian mall?

Ragingrob
26th May 2009, 23:56
It's not a pedestrian mall. It's buses and trade vehicles only. Clearly says no private vehicles. It's got massive signs all round the place.

What law you broke? Going down a road you ain't allowed to.

Squiggles
27th May 2009, 00:02
Dunno what the exact law would be, but its clearly labelled as to what should or shouldnt go down there. Also worth noting is the Truck lane on the mway, thats trucks only, not motorcycles. I mentioned both these in the last Uni MC club email but am guessing you're not one of us!

Ragingrob
27th May 2009, 00:18
Dunno what the exact law would be, but its clearly labelled as to what should or shouldnt go down there. Also worth noting is the Truck lane on the mway, thats trucks only, not motorcycles. I mentioned both these in the last Uni MC club email but am guessing you're not one of us!

I feel so stupid splitting between the traffic on the on ramp when there's a whole free lane to the left haha :dodge:

kasper
27th May 2009, 01:00

Actually motorbikes are able to use priority lanes.
Check the motorway on ramp at the end of church or Nielson street. after the second sign it list all vehicles that can use the lane.

-- Kasper
Trucker/Biker

scracha
27th May 2009, 04:45
I'd personally pay the fine and keep my mouth shut since he let you off with the "another dumbarse learner with a pillion" charge

YellowDog
27th May 2009, 06:09
I think maybe the cop was being a bit picky and provided you were riding slowly and with care, he should have trned a blind eye.

I have to deliver mail for work on a motorbike and it is sometimes not possible to obey the law to the letter. I always give the cops a wave (not the finger) and they always wave back. No problems.

Squiggles
27th May 2009, 08:23
Actually motorbikes are able to use priority lanes.
Check the motorway on ramp at the end of church or Nielson street. after the second sign it list all vehicles that can use the lane.

-- Kasper
Trucker/Biker

http://www.transit.govt.nz/projects/rampsignalling/faqs/

Motorcycles can also use the priority lanes, except at Grafton Road southbound on-ramp which is a trucks only priority lane.

CookMySock
27th May 2009, 08:31
I ride in pedestrian areas all the time. Parks, footpaths, and generally everywhere I shouldn't. Just go dead slow and don't scare people, and no one cares.

Steve

PirateJafa
27th May 2009, 08:40
I'd personally pay the fine and keep my mouth shut since he let you off with the "another dumbarse learner with a pillion" charge

Beat me to it.

You're complaining about a $150 fine with no demerits when he COULD have given you a $550 fine with 25 demerits?

Pay up.

I ride in pedestrian areas all the time. Parks, footpaths, and generally everywhere I shouldn't. Just go dead slow and don't scare people, and no one cares.

Yeah, but no-one gives a fook about you because you live in the arse-end of the world.

Phcyso
27th May 2009, 09:50
I know I am in the wrong here and I have no issues paying the fine,
My question was where is it written there us a fine at all.
I am mainly just curious of where I can find a list of fines that can be levied and how much they are.
I will be paying it when it arrives, I do not want to cause any issues for the cop who was nice enough to give me a break, only a few more months to full lisence anyway.

Squiggles
27th May 2009, 10:06
It might be in the local bylaw? http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/council/documents/bylaw/part1sop.asp would be when the "pedestrian mall" was introduced

Slyer
27th May 2009, 10:13
"Motorcycles can also use the priority lanes, except at Grafton Road southbound on-ramp which is a trucks only priority lane."
So you can use any of them except for the one you use most. :bleh:

ManDownUnder
27th May 2009, 10:20

Agreed - the cop made your like a lot easier than they could have. Returning the favour would be a wise move. Go back on the attack and you might just upset someone who has the power to (quite rightly) issue you with the additional tickets.

Take the medicine. By all means query and learn from it (i.e. if you actually allowed on that road it'd be useful to know)... I just wouldn't go back and put it in the cop's face in this instance.

Ragingrob
27th May 2009, 10:29
"Motorcycles can also use the priority lanes, except at Grafton Road southbound on-ramp which is a trucks only priority lane."
So you can use any of them except for the one you use most. :bleh:

Yeah what a waste of an exception. Why the hell would you randomly exclude bikes, it's not like that place is chocablock with trucks and we can usually just slip through and join the motorway without being noticed.

Phurrball
27th May 2009, 10:43
(snip)
My question was where is it written there us a fine at all.
I am mainly just curious of where I can find a list of fines that can be levied and how much they are.
(snip)

Did the bike cop have a beard? :Police:

It doesn't need to have any sign saying what the fine is. In general, this would be impractical as there are so many different offences and fines that can be levied. In this case though, it would probably be a good idea to have a large, prominent sign, as it would discourage all the cars that think it's an 'optional' restriction at night.

I couldn't find this one in a quick browse of the Land Transport (Offences and Penalties) Regulations 1999 (http://legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1999/0099/latest/DLM280110.html?search=ts_regulation_transport_rese l). Click through to Schedule 1 (http://legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1999/0099/latest/link.aspx?search=ts_regulation_transport_resel&id=DLM280158#DLM280158). It will blow your mind what you can be fined for...

I suspect that Squiggles is right - it could be a bylaw, which the Police can enforce even though it is 'council' law. We should probably be thankful that parking wardens do not patrol it, as those petty fascists would rape it for all the revenue it could give.

Ragingrob
27th May 2009, 11:06
Did the bike cop have a beard? :Police:

It doesn't need to have any sign saying what the fine is. In general, this would be impractical as there are so many different offences and fines that can be levied. In this case though, it would probably be a good idea to have a large, prominent sign, as it would discourage all the cars that think it's an 'optional' restriction at night.

I couldn't find this one in a quick browse of the Land Transport (Offences and Penalties) Regulations 1999 (http://legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1999/0099/latest/DLM280110.html?search=ts_regulation_transport_rese l). Click through to Schedule 1 (http://legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1999/0099/latest/link.aspx?search=ts_regulation_transport_resel&id=DLM280158#DLM280158). It will blow your mind what you can be fined for...

I suspect that Squiggles is right - it could be a bylaw, which the Police can enforce even though it is 'council' law. We should probably be thankful that parking wardens do not patrol it, as those petty fascists would rape it for all the revenue it could give.

Just like on Target (Or Fair Go?) where that teen got fined $750 for skating on the footpath. A fine which was far far more than a car running a red light, even more than a speeding ticket up to 50kph over! The council fine was $55 or something but a good ol' copper came along and slapped him with $750.

Finn
27th May 2009, 11:11
Pffftt. Amateurs. A few years back I got a $2000 parking fine from a cop. Mind you, I was parking on a person.

scracha
27th May 2009, 13:24

So operating a motorcycle with more than 2 persons is $600 but failing to give way or riding dangerously or is $150 ?

Slyer
27th May 2009, 13:28
So operating a motorcycle with more than 2 persons is $600 but failing to give way or riding dangerously or is $150 ?
The fine for riding on a learners with a pillion, no L plate, after 10pm and over 70kph is $1600 and lots of demerit points.
The fine for riding without a license is $400.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Swoop
27th May 2009, 13:33
Pffftt. Amateurs. A few years back I got a $2000 parking fine from a cop. Mind you, I was parking on a person.
The person shouldn't have been laying under your car, in the first place.

xwhatsit
27th May 2009, 13:45
Click through to Schedule 1 (http://legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1999/0099/latest/link.aspx?search=ts_regulation_transport_resel&id=DLM280158#DLM280158). It will blow your mind what you can be fined for...
You're not wrong. I learned today that I can be fined up to $1000 if I `Drive vehicle fitted with unretracted and unlocked outrigger'.

Better remember to flick my sidestand up before I set off today then ~_~

Would also appear that I'm screwed if I run out of fuel, as I don't have a battery and therefore don't have any lights while I push the bike to the nearest petrol station. $1000 fine for `Operator of animal-drawn vehicle during hours of darkness fails to display white light visible for at least 100m on right-hand side of front of vehicle' My ex says I was an `animal' so that puts me in a difficult situation.

What pleased me is to learn that a policeman can give a $35 ticket to any `Pedestrian unduly impedes mobility device or wheeled recreational device on footpath' This means if that café owner blocks my way and shakes a chair at me again when I'm cutting around a traffic jam by shortcutting across the footpath in front of his shop I can call the cops.

HungusMaximist
27th May 2009, 13:53
Be real careful around Alfred ave, if you really have to go down, just make sure when you approach it take it real slow and see if there's any biker cops around. At least you still have a chance to gap it and correct it.

They often do blitzes around there, there was one instance where they had 2biker cops doing the blitz around 8pm in the evening.

I saw at least 4 cars got caught out.

R6_kid
27th May 2009, 13:54
Is Alfred Street still fine to use for bike parking? I've seen bikes parked there, and parked there once myself but try not to if I can avoid it (which isn't too hard)

I do usually ride down through there if I've been parked under science and want to get to the NW motorway. I go through quite slow, trailing the brakes - so that it would take someone to deliberately walking infront of me to cause an accident.

Slyer
27th May 2009, 14:00
Fail to report dangerous substance on road - $280
Really?

skidMark
27th May 2009, 14:04

It's tough not being able to see over the handlebars...

eh finn.

Squiggles
27th May 2009, 19:10
Is Alfred Street still fine to use for bike parking? I've seen bikes parked there, and parked there once myself but try not to if I can avoid it (which isn't too hard)

Given that its not to be used by motorcycles, ya think you're supposed to park there? :laugh: Thats a no btw

Phcyso
27th May 2009, 20:16

That list is exactly what i was looking for. Thank you very much Phurrball

I do not believe it is in a bylaw, i called the council today and they had no knowledge of any fine amounts for going down that street. they recommended i call the police to check.

now i guess i just wait for the fine in the post

Mom
27th May 2009, 20:30

Though the value of your fine exceeds mine I think my offense and the response to it is bigger than yours. I once got pulled over complete with lights and siren blaring at 10:30 am in the morning. This in the main street of the bustling village of Warkworth (pop 800 odd at the time) :o I had been very naughty of course, I had stopped, with engine running outside a shop to drop off some paperwork and my front wheels were over a yellow line! I know! What a shocker!

Apart from the embarassment of the very public and noisy stop, I got a $40 fine. That was a big amount of money back in 1980.

peasea
27th May 2009, 21:34
I think maybe the cop was being a bit picky and provided you were riding slowly and with care, he should have trned a blind eye.

I have to deliver mail for work on a motorbike and it is sometimes not possible to obey the law to the letter. I always give the cops a wave (not the finger) and they always wave back. No problems.

Turn a blind eye????

Fat chance!

KA_CHING! It's all about the money.

Coulda been worse though.

Ixion
27th May 2009, 21:38

The grumpy old git on the postie bike that I assumed was you seems to have been replaced by a rather pretty chick, who I am fairly sure is not you.

She didn't wave either. Of course she might have misinterpeted my wave.