PDA

View Full Version : Testing starter components

Morcs
27th May 2009, 10:01
Anyone know any easy ways of testing a starter solenoid and starter motor to see whats faulty?

My cage has starting issues where it doesnt turn over, just lets out a loud click. Battery is all good so got it nailed down to those two components.

Cheers in advance,

Pete

CookMySock
27th May 2009, 10:18
Hey Pete

You can't really "test" them exactly. It's just a bit of experience and a process of deduction.

In your case, you either have a stuck brush in a holder, a worn brush that is too short to touch the commutator, or the solenoid is not making contact for some reason. If you can get at the wiring going from the solenoid to the starter then you can test to see if this is switching on with the contactor or not.

In any case, it is probably quicker to strip the whole thing on the bench and positively identify the problem, rather than spending ages on scientific deductions.

Steve

jim.cox
27th May 2009, 10:20
Anyone know any easy ways of testing a starter solenoid and starter motor to see whats faulty?

My cage has starting issues where it doesnt turn over, just lets out a loud click. Battery is all good so got it nailed down to those two components.

Cheers in advance,

Pete

Loud click suggests solenoid is working.

You're going to need to pull the starter motor out.

Then its usually new brushes and maybe bearings Probably ought to check the stator (continuity and resistance) too

Its probably worth taking the unit to an auto sparky for an expert look over.

ManDownUnder
27th May 2009, 10:25
Click says Mr Solenoid is working.

Grab some jumper leads and take them directly from the battery to the terminals on the starter...

Morcs
27th May 2009, 10:31
Cheers guys, will try power directly to starter motor.

Buying another motor is probably cheaper than taking it out and getting a sparky to look at it too.

CookMySock
27th May 2009, 10:33
Click says Mr Solenoid is working.There are two parts to the solenoid; the electromagnet that operates it, and the contactor that then operates the starter itself. "Click" tells us the electromagnet part is working, but thats not usually the bit that wears out there. The bit that fails is one of the terminals in the contactor. Usually, you can flip the ring over, or rotate one of the terminals. Cost = nuthin.

Grab some jumper leads and take them directly from the battery to the terminals on the starter...Yes. Wear eye protection doing this.

There is little or nothing complicated in starter motors.

edit:

Buying another motor is probably cheaper than taking it out and getting a sparky to look at it too.Gees bro, pull it out and rip it apart. It's only two bolts and some screws.

Steve

Morcs
27th May 2009, 11:44
edit:
Gees bro, pull it out and rip it apart. It's only two bolts and some screws.

Steve

Yeah But if i screw it up, I have to drop the missus off at work... and pick her up.

jim.cox
27th May 2009, 13:20
Cheers guys, will try power directly to starter motor.

Buying another motor is probably cheaper than taking it out and getting a sparky to look at it too.

In either case you will be doing the pulling out / replacing yourself and thats where the big cost is.

I also reccon a new starter is big $$ - and if you go 2nd hand you will want to make sure its good before fitting...