PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problems turned mechanical Suzuki 50cc

Akane
27th May 2009, 18:20
Greetings

I have a Suzuki Verde 50cc 2 stroke moped, it has about 2000kms on the clock.

I rarely ride the scooter, usually the battery gets drained rather quickly, but a quick blat around the block usually charges it up, or I'll take the battery out and charge it with a 2200mAh car battery charger, usually does the trick.

It always lacks power for the first 1-3mins if I havn't been riding it for the last month or so. But gets ok once it warms up, never bothered me.

Up until yesterday I wanted to ride it again, and the usual flat battery, that's alright, I thought I'll kick start it, but it didn't start, and I wanted it to start NOW, so I wired up a 12v car battery with plenty of juice to start it. It took a good 15mins of on-off electric start (letting it cool down a bit in between)to get it to cough, and then it finally starts idling like it used to.

That's fine I thought, hooking the scooter battery back in while it was idling, didn't think much of it. Took it for a blat for about 5mins, stopped, and tried to electric start it again thinking the battery should be charged now. But the battery is stone cold dead. I kickstarted it and it fired back into life. This is my first problem, how can the battery be so dead that the lights didn't even dim at all? Just dead.

So checked all connections again, and kickstarted it, it kickstarted fine. Went to fill up at caltex, kickstarted it again, fine.

Then I proceed to ride it for another 5mins or so, then it starting to lose power down low, finally made it home, now the scooter won't even idle at all.

Checked voltages with the battery out of the bike (no battery at all), reads about 10v-ish during constant CVT, and when the CVT runs out it goes upto around 12.5v.

Full power it'll run, but it won't idle, just starting to get lower and lower and then die.

Idle voltage is around 8v just before it dies (without battery).

I tried to idle it with a car battery and it won't idle at all (same as having bike battery, same as having no battery - it made no difference)

Wound like to know where I can start tackling this problem, I know a bit about cars but absolutely clueless when it comes to scooters, and 2-strokers.

2-stroke oil level is good. I havn't heard anything about caltex selling bad fuel, and if it was bad fuel it wouldn't have power at all right? but it goes fine at full power full speed.

I charged the bike battery with battery charger overnight last night, tried it to day, lights come on but when I tried to electric start it, the starter wouldn't engage, I don't think it has enough juice, reads 12.8v before starting, around 8v when I tried to crank it but it won't engage (but can hear a faint whizzing sound, probably freespinning)

Thanks.

YellowDog
27th May 2009, 18:30
Your battery is knackered. You have been lucky so far in that the battery has lasted so long before dying.

Buy a new battery and also a conditioner to prevent this from happening again.

gatch
27th May 2009, 21:15
yeah sounds like your battery is proper rooted, go for yuasa if you can..

Akane
27th May 2009, 21:28
Yeap the battery is rooted, but it doesn't explain why it still didn't idle when I have a car battery hooked up to it.

And what is a conditioner?

Thanks for the help

CookMySock
27th May 2009, 21:28
Get a new battery, and use a better quality two stroke oil.

Steve

Akane
27th May 2009, 22:53
Been using the same Mobil 2-stroke oil since when I first bought it 1000kms ago. New battery is definitely coming but would like to sort out the idle problem too, will keep you guys updated after I get the new battery.