PDA

View Full Version : KTMs go hard, eh

TOTO
29th May 2009, 01:44
I've been wanting a motard for a while now , but after wathcing this suff I am seruiosly contemplating getting 3 additional jobs on top of my current 2, just so I can get it sooner.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y7fn1XndE3o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y7fn1XndE3o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXnQ3KYSiwA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXnQ3KYSiwA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TK3
29th May 2009, 06:29
[QUOTE=TOTO;1129233199]I've been wanting a motard for a while now , but after wathcing this suff I am seruiosly contemplating getting 3 additional jobs on top of my current 2, just so I can get it sooner.

How much you got to spend???

Devil
29th May 2009, 09:04
$12k will get you my 690sm ;)

sinfull
29th May 2009, 09:20
Don't be too quick to jump on a KTM if your planning on racing it !
Ya only have to look who's winning all the tard racing and what he's on !

Taz
29th May 2009, 09:36
My 525 is a great road/adventure/trail bike. And it does go hard too. :)

Quasievil
29th May 2009, 09:48
In reference to the others above, they really dont know what they are talking about............now I, on the other hand am seen as something of a guru on the subject of motarding, so any questions let me know.
Additionally , by chance, and your good fortune I am currently passing on the best KTM motard in the country for a low sum of $8500 not only the motard either, tyres and stands and lots of other gear including some road conversion kit.

My best advise my freind is to ignore the others above and simply consult me in all things motarded.

here is a link also for the best motard in the country
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=212229530

sinfull
29th May 2009, 10:06
Wow everyone wants you to buy their motard lol, why on earth would you sell ? I'd never sell my sports bike !

TOTO
29th May 2009, 10:39
yea, man , why sell super good motards :doh:

Nah , I'm not on the market yet guys but will be getting in touch for some advice when I am, and when I need some advice on nobb-riding/racing it :clap:

Taz
29th May 2009, 10:50
I'm not selling you mine.......

Morcs
29th May 2009, 11:06
Get a DRZ400SM.

Put $2,000 into it getting a bit more power and improving the rear suspension and ya got yaself the best all round motard out there.

They are bullet proof. Can sit on the back wheel all day. Handle well even with crap tyres, hard to break too - I flipped mine, and put it into the back of a car, and it still ran, and was still straight except one of the radiators.

It wont break down (like a KTM) and wont have to be rebuilt even 10 minutes (like highly strung KTMs)

TOTO
29th May 2009, 11:13
the sm is definately one of the options for a first motard...:yes:

Morcs
29th May 2009, 12:18
the sm is definately one of the options for a first motard...:yes:

I still does good stoppies, skids, and the front wheel can be picked up on the gas in 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

This is after multiple bins:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113591&d=1229650348

Quasievil
29th May 2009, 12:33
Get a DRZ400SM.

Put $2,000 into it getting a bit more power and improving the rear suspension and ya got yaself the best all round motard out there.

They are bullet proof. Can sit on the back wheel all day. Handle well even with crap tyres, hard to break too - I flipped mine, and put it into the back of a car, and it still ran, and was still straight except one of the radiators.

It wont break down (like a KTM) and wont have to be rebuilt even 10 minutes (like highly strung KTMs)

A DRZ is gutless for track work mate, they dont stand a chance against a KTM or a RMZ or whatever, what are they 34 hp ?

Maintenance well not really if you big bore it and turn it into a handgrenade yes I agree, but outside a tune and one gasket I have not done anything to mine in a year of full on racing and trackdays, so they are reliable as anything out there, also if you crash nothing happens, three crashes on mine nothing happened , got to love that eh !

Morcs
29th May 2009, 14:07
A DRZ is gutless for track work mate, they dont stand a chance against a KTM or a RMZ or whatever, what are they 34 hp ?

Maintenance well not really if you big bore it and turn it into a handgrenade yes I agree, but outside a tune and one gasket I have not done anything to mine in a year of full on racing and trackdays, so they are reliable as anything out there, also if you crash nothing happens, three crashes on mine nothing happened , got to love that eh !

I was suprised at the DRZ at the last moto tt I was at, it was going hard. I sold mine thinking it would be slow on the track, obviously not.

Apologies if I am mistaken re maintenance.

Quasievil
29th May 2009, 15:13
Apologies if I am mistaken re maintenance.

lol nah mate youre right, my point being that if they are standard they are sweet, I have seen many hotten upped ones blow up all over the place, sure they get more grunt but they spend the weekends fixing the bikes...........screw that !

Mikkel
29th May 2009, 15:51
In reference to the others above, they really dont know what they are talking about............now I, on the other hand am seen as something of a guru on the subject of motarding, so any questions let me know.
Additionally , by chance, and your good fortune I am currently passing on the best KTM motard in the country for a low sum of $8500 not only the motard either, tyres and stands and lots of other gear including some road conversion kit.

My best advise my freind is to ignore the others above and simply consult me in all things motarded.

here is a link also for the best motard in the country
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=212229530

That's a nice bike and a nice price - but I was wondering about a couple of things in the add:

It's a 525 ccm fairly revvy single and you are getting ~51 hps at the wheel with full race exhaust and dyno treatment. Mine is a 576 ccm not-quite-so revvy single and I am getting ~53 hps at the wheel with a slip on can and a rough rejetting. I would just somehow have expected you to be getting more than that...

Beringer brakes? Calipers (and master cylinder) I assume - the discs doesn't look like any Beringer discs I've seen. Just curious is all...

Anyway, good luck with the sale - it's a nice bike and a bloody bargain I'd say.

Get a DRZ400SM.

I haven't tried an SM specced DRZ400. But I can attest to the fact that a motarded DRZ400E is good fun. While it doesn't have the power and the torque of the Husky, the engine is much easier to deal with, it pulls smoothly from idle to rev limiter. The Husky tends to be more chucky down low and a bit flat up top - that's in comparison to the very beefy mid-range of course.
The Husky, however, looks better :D

Quasievil
29th May 2009, 15:58
That's a nice bike and a nice price - but I was wondering about a couple of things in the add:

It's a 525 ccm fairly revvy single and you are getting ~51 hps at the wheel with full race exhaust and dyno treatment. Mine is a 576 ccm not-quite-so revvy single and I am getting ~53 hps at the wheel with a slip on can and a rough rejetting. I would just somehow have expected you to be getting more than that...

Beringer brakes? Calipers (and master cylinder) I assume - the discs doesn't look like any Beringer discs I've seen. Just curious is all...

Anyway, good luck with the sale - it's a nice bike and a bloody bargain I'd say.

Nope Im tapped out at 50.4 hp, with bigger jetting a full system titanium akropovic, tuned by experts (KTM experts) thats good for a standard SMR

Yup its got Beringer brakes written on the brakes.

cant see it selling really, trademe looks over 1300 and not an inquiry yet so sheeeeesh might just have to keep it and keep racin I guess

(see my TV video? loaded it on KB today)

Mikkel
29th May 2009, 16:28
Nope Im tapped out at 50.4 hp, with bigger jetting a full system titanium akropovic, tuned by experts (KTM experts) thats good for a standard SMR

Do you know how much they get from the 450 ccm SMRs?

Is it the stock brakes for the KTM SMRs?

It's just that Beringer does a very neat Supermoto upgrade kit - but it has s quite characteristic look and cast iron brake discs. See the attached .pdf - page 6 from the Beringer catalogue. DO WANT!

cant see it selling really, trademe looks over 1300 and not an inquiry yet so sheeeeesh might just have to keep it and keep racin I guess

Hard job ey, hope you won't feel too sad having to race the poor thing... ;)

Quasievil
29th May 2009, 16:48
Do you know how much they get from the 450 ccm SMRs?

Is it the stock brakes for the KTM SMRs?

It's just that Beringer does a very neat Supermoto upgrade kit - but it has s quite characteristic look and cast iron brake discs. See the attached .pdf - page 6 from the Beringer catalogue. DO WANT!

Hard job ey, hope you won't feel too sad having to race the poor thing... ;)

New SMR 450 are about the same as mine 50 -51 hp standard. but they rev out at about 12k, mines all done at 8500 so they are fast.

SeppoDave
30th May 2009, 06:20

Like your 610 is 576cc, the KTM 525 is only 510cc. What's in a name right? Not a huge difference, just saying why it might be more difficult to coax 50hp out of it.

The KTM 530 however (also 510cc), is far superior to the 525, and is most likely the reason Quasi is selling. :Punk:

Dave

Quasievil
30th May 2009, 07:54
The KTM 530 however (also 510cc), is far superior to the 525, and is most likely the reason Quasi is selling. :Punk:

Dave

mmm thats interesting shall we refer to video ?

Actually the real pick of the bunch if you can find one is a 560smr thats the goody , same that Gavin Veltamier runs and he is a fast fella

SeppoDave
30th May 2009, 09:22
Hmm. Yes, the video.

I think we would find in the video that the stone-stock 530, with stock dirt-bike suspension and stock pipe and ridden by an old fat guy, was giving the 525 a run for its money. (Lots of money)

And thanks for the tip last time (or maybe it was Willy?). I spoke to Gavin and he's going to help me sort out my suspension. Good guy.

Quasievil
30th May 2009, 11:04
Hmm. Yes, the video.

I think we would find in the video that the stone-stock 530, with stock dirt-bike suspension and stock pipe and ridden by an old fat guy, was giving the 525 a run for its money. (Lots of money)

And thanks for the tip last time (or maybe it was Willy?). I spoke to Gavin and he's going to help me sort out my suspension. Good guy.

Depends if I was trying or not at the time:shifty:

Devil
30th May 2009, 11:57
Well MY bog standard 690 (654cc) is 63hp stock *nose in the air*.
'cept it's a bit porkier heh.
KTM's most reliable single yet too...

Buy it you bastards! I've got adventures to have!

TK3
2nd June 2009, 10:06

I haven't tried an SM specced DRZ400. But I can attest to the fact that a motarded DRZ400E is good fun. While it doesn't have the power and the torque of the Husky, the engine is much easier to deal with, it pulls smoothly from idle to rev limiter. The Husky tends to be more chucky down low and a bit flat up top - that's in comparison to the very beefy mid-range of course.
The Husky, however, looks better :D

(see my TV video? loaded it on KB today)

Ha ha not another one.... The old I've just got a slipon and a bit of tuning that's a oldie but a goodie:clap::clap: Don't we all just have a slip on and a bit of tuning????

Quasievil
2nd June 2009, 10:49
Ha ha not another one.... The old I've just got a slipon and a bit of tuning that's a oldie but a goodie:clap::clap: Don't we all just have a slip on and a bit of tuning????

Oh yeah *cough* *cough* I forget !