PDA

View Full Version : The secret to enjoying biking.

Mr. Peanut
29th May 2009, 21:47
This is how I see it, if you think otherwise that's fine by me.

Motorcycling is about freedom. You get on a bike, fire it up, and you're superman. Choose a bike that lets you do that often. Some bikes often don't fire up. We call these "Old and cheap sport bikes". Are you still listening?!!

IF YOU CANT AFFORD A NEW SPORT BIKE YOU CAN'T AFFORD AN OLD ONE.

There there, don't cry. Now listen up.

Find a bike you can afford, that doesn't mean the clapped out CBR NSR GSXR on trademe for $4995, it means the $2000 GN250 that made you dry wretch. YES, BUY A HORRIBLE BIKE!!!

I'll tell you why. You might love that CBR on the test ride, you might love it for the next month, but you'll learn to hate it. You'll realise it isn't a faithful machine, and you'll soon be in an expensive love triangle with your bike and your mechanic. Meanwhile, that horrible GN250 keeps passing your house every morning, and you start to think, "Gee, that wouldn't be so bad, any bike on an awesome day like this."

Get yourself the newest, cheapest, simplest bike you can afford, and enjoy yourself. You'll have a full face helmet on anyway. And all that money you save can go into buying that awesome new bike you ACTUALLY wanted.

And GUESS WHAT? That horrible bike will sell for the same you bought it for! Your friends who are still stuck paying off their horrible clapped out 250s (sitting in a garage) are gonna f**king jealous of your reliable new sports bike!

One more tip, DON'T BUY LEATHERS! You're not one of those pussys that doesn't ride in the rain are you? Get good quality waterproof gear, when you can afford a 150hp bike, you'll be able to afford both.

DON'T let me say I told you so. I'm an arsehole like that.

Paul in NZ
29th May 2009, 21:52
The secret to enjoying biking is....

Don't join web forums.... If you don't 'know' your bike is a pile of crap you won't notice ;-)

Slyer
29th May 2009, 21:54
I think you seriously overestimate the GN :bleh:

kit
29th May 2009, 21:59
I actually have leathers and i ride in the rain, and i recall a particulary wet day riding down the west coast and stopping for brunch. Another group of bikers pulled in and one of the fellows commented " dry rider my f***kn A" he had purchased all the right gear and still got soaked.......It dont matter what ya got if it rains hard enough your gonna get wet!!!!!

Cheshire Cat
29th May 2009, 22:04

Motorcycling is about freedom. You get on a bike, fire it up, and you're superman. Choose a bike that lets you do that often. Some bikes often don't fire up. We call these "Old and cheap sport bikes". Are you still listening?!!

Find a bike you can afford, that doesn't mean the clapped out CBR NSR GSXR on trademe for $4995, it means the $2000 GN250 that made you dry wretch. YES, BUY A HORRIBLE BIKE!!!

I'll tell you why. You might love that CBR on the test ride, you might love it for the next month, but you'll learn to hate it. You'll realise it isn't a faithful machine, and you'll soon be in an expensive love triangle with your bike and your mechanic. Meanwhile, that horrible GN250 keeps passing your house every morning, and you start to think, "Gee, that wouldn't be so bad, any bike on an awesome day like this."

Get yourself the newest, cheapest, simplest bike you can afford, and enjoy yourself. You'll have a full face helmet on anyway. And all that money you save can go into buying that awesome new bike you ACTUALLY wanted.

And GUESS WHAT? That horrible bike will sell for the same you bought it for! Your friends who are still stuck paying off their horrible clapped out 250s (sitting in a garage) are gonna f**king jealous of your reliable new sports bike!

One more tip, DON'T BUY LEATHERS! You're not one of those pussys that doesn't ride in the rain are you? Get good quality waterproof gear, when you can afford a 150hp bike, you'll be able to afford both.

Whatever Trever:whocares:

YellowDog
29th May 2009, 22:10
Fumeux - good post. I do agree with you and it is sort of what i did. I really do enjoy riding, but i am generally a pussy and only ride the tiger in the dry. I ride for work, so that is generally in the wet.

Riding in the wet is not a pleasure (for me). At this time of the year when the sun is out and the air is cool - this is the best riding of all :)

BMWST?
29th May 2009, 22:13
I actually have leathers and i ride in the rain, and i recall a particulary wet day riding down the west coast and stopping for brunch. Another group of bikers pulled in and one of the fellows commented " dry rider my f***kn A" he had purchased all the right gear and still got soaked.......It dont matter what ya got if it rains hard enough your gonna get wet!!!!!

no you wont.....

cs363
29th May 2009, 22:22
no you wont.....

X 2 on that.... :)

sil3nt
29th May 2009, 22:33
Whatever Trever:whocares::stupid:

I thought it was a pisstake but apparently your serious. If your going to spend the money on a cbr the your probably going to spend the little extra to get a mechanic to check it out. From what i hear the CBR is a damn reliable bike anyway.

p.dath
29th May 2009, 22:37
Haha.

The actual secret is attitude. Nothing more, nothing less.

And it especially has *nothing* to do with the age of your bike. Haha. :-)

Cheshire Cat
29th May 2009, 22:40
:stupid:

I thought it was a pisstake but apparently your serious. If your going to spend the money on a cbr the your probably going to spend the little extra to get a mechanic to check it out. From what i hear the CBR is a damn reliable bike anyway.

EXACTLY.If you're pashionate about something you will go all the way and Leos are known for NOT being tight arses.

=cJ=
30th May 2009, 09:28
**yawn**

Buy the bike that makes you grin even when it's sitting in the shed being fixed up.

And what's this about having a mechanic, only do that if you HAVE to.

Sheesh, youngsters these days..

**gets slippers**

jrandom
30th May 2009, 10:16
If I was starting on a learner licence right now, I'd get a Yamaha Scorpio 225. Hard to beat for $4K brand new.

Many a time these days, y'know, I find myself riding around town on Stickchick's Scorpio; I can't be arsed hauling the mighty 1400 out of the gargre.

Also, get leathers and waterproofs to go over them. That's the only thing that actually works both for protection and for keeping dry on long rides in truly shit weather.

And, generally speaking, just go and get your fucking full licence already.

Brownstoo
30th May 2009, 12:49
Buy the bike that makes you grin even when it's sitting in the shed being fixed up.

And what's this about having a mechanic, only do that if you HAVE to.

+1! What is this "mechanic" they speak of?
Even when I had mine in pieces all over the garage I'd still walk past, knowing I wouldn't be riding for a while, and crack a huge smile and feel all fuzzy just coz that was my bike...
Sure, I know it's gonna cost me more than a ginny to keep going, but the fun to be had with sports bikes outweighs that cost for me any day. Also the only way I'll learn how to fix/maintain bikes myself is if I have to do it to keep riding.
And there's no blanket rule for how to enjoy motorbikes. I just happen to enjoy owning a sports bike more than I'd enjoy having that extra couple of grand in my account and a ginny.
Each to their own though!

gwigs
30th May 2009, 17:01
+1! What is this "mechanic" they speak of?
Even when I had mine in pieces all over the garage I'd still walk past, knowing I wouldn't be riding for a while, and crack a huge smile and feel all fuzzy just coz that was my bike...
Sure, I know it's gonna cost me more than a ginny to keep going, but the fun to be had with sports bikes outweighs that cost for me any day. Also the only way I'll learn how to fix/maintain bikes myself is if I have to do it to keep riding.
And there's no blanket rule for how to enjoy motorbikes. I just happen to enjoy owning a sports bike more than I'd enjoy having that extra couple of grand in my account and a ginny.
Each to their own though!

Surely part of owning motorbikes is fixing and maintaining them yourself....and after all if you,re riding it you want to know its done properly.
It doesnt really matter what you ride..if its got 2 wheels and youre enjoying it
thats all that counts....:eek:

LaytonNZ
30th May 2009, 21:15

Sounds like a crock of shit to me..:):eek:

Mr. Peanut
3rd June 2009, 20:03
Well if you're enjoying your bikes so much, why'd ya click on this thread?

This is advice for people who haven't bought a bike yet. I agree with JRandom about the Scorpio, an excellent first bike, wish it was around when I started biking.

Fatt Max
5th June 2009, 14:07
Surely part of owning motorbikes is fixing and maintaining them yourself....and after all if you,re riding it you want to know its done properly.
It doesnt really matter what you ride..if its got 2 wheels and youre enjoying it
thats all that counts....:eek:

......MEDIC......! :doctor:

Dare
10th June 2009, 20:44
Well if you're enjoying your bikes so much, why'd ya click on this thread?

This is advice for people who haven't bought a bike yet. I agree with JRandom about the Scorpio, an excellent first bike, wish it was around when I started biking.

Because I wanted to know a secret!
My first (and current) bike is a bandit, reliable, fun and even 12+ months in exciting enough to scare me at times (even though that is probably due to my semi-cautious nature). Definitely practise in a carpark if your only other riding experience is the gn125 from the handling test, but more than capable after that. I feel anything much slower would have bored me by now, but the bandit has enough poke to get out of tricky situations and good enough handling that (if you're like me) a mid corner panic about entry speed is generally solved by cranking it over past your comfort limit and trusting in the bike.

While GN250's aren't bad, and maintinence is probably easier, there is a spectrum between them and ball dropping sport 250's. I'm biased but vtr's, hornets and bandits seem to occupy a sweet spot between price, reliability and excitement that works pretty damn well.
Of course, mine was quite a deal, so luck has a little to do with it aswell..

Most of all, look around, try a bike or three, read your reviews and exert a little patience, chances are one day you will find a bike you just know is the one for you. Letting others choose your ride is for sheep.
:rockon:

trumpy
10th June 2009, 20:59
I'm always dubious about anyone who says they know the secret to anything.......even worse when they write books about it...

There's no secret to motorcycling, it's just like everything else in life; yep, learn what you can from others but tread your own path. It can be no other way.
If you have an itch, scratch it. It is not up to anyone else to tell you that your choice of ride is good, bad or otherwise.

The Pastor
10th June 2009, 21:02
I find the secret to motorcycling is drugs, lots of them. makes even the most mundane ride totally rad

Metalor
10th June 2009, 21:03
Nice post Fumeux!!

Any bike is awesome when you first start riding. I loved the shit out of my TU when I first got it, couldn't stop thinking about. Couldn't wait to get on it and have a blat. Had a few scary moments learning to corner (luckily no oncoming traffic!) etc, but that's all part of it.

Now, I have to say, I am over the TU. I declined a ride on Sunday as the idea of revving the tits off it to TRY to keep up with a ZX10. Sure, I had fun a month ago riding with the big bikes, but it slowly wears off.

But that's all part of riding motorbikes too. I started on an excellent learners bike which really got me into riding, and now I know i'm ready for that kid-like excitedness of a new bike again!

kunoichi
10th June 2009, 21:39

I started with cordurals and now have leathers. I wear my leathers all the time, even wen it rains, and no i'm not a dry rider either! My bike is my only transportation, and just because i'm wearing leathers doesn't mean i'm too pussy to ride in the rain (in fact all my drops and accidents happnd in the wet and i'm still out there, rather than taking a bus). I wear leathers kuz they are more comfy to sit around in at uni than my cordurals, which are bulky and smell as they dry off. Just kuz i wear leather doesn't mean i'm scared to get wet, it means i don't give a fuck if i do get wet, i'm going out anyways!!:bash:

98tls
10th June 2009, 21:55

DON'T let me say I told you so. I'm an arsehole like that. Or simply buy leathers and a $20 set of wet weather pullovers from the Warehouse.Cordura gears about as motorcycling as a 3rd ball on a Greyhound,move on from a GN by all means but Cordura will always make you feel like you belong on one.;)not to mention it gets just as wet but dries out a little quicker.As i said a cheap pair of pullovers and your good to go.

gatch
10th June 2009, 22:15
I find the secret to motorcycling is drugs, lots of them. makes even the most mundane ride totally rad

You are onto something there man..

howdamnhard
10th June 2009, 22:36
I started with cordurals and now have leathers. I wear my leathers all the time, even wen it rains, and no i'm not a dry rider either! My bike is my only transportation, and just because i'm wearing leathers doesn't mean i'm too pussy to ride in the rain (in fact all my drops and accidents happnd in the wet and i'm still out there, rather than taking a bus). I wear leathers kuz they are more comfy to sit around in at uni than my cordurals, which are bulky and smell as they dry off. Just kuz i wear leather doesn't mean i'm scared to get wet, it means i don't give a fuck if i do get wet, i'm going out anyways!!:bash:

Well said , although I think you meant cordura and not " cordurals". If its really pouring down I just put my cheap rainsuit over the lot. My leathers are surprisingly waterproof thanks to sno seal. My "DriRider" gear was definitely not waterproof.
As for not spending heaps on an overpriced new 250 instead of saving for the upgrade, yes that certainly has merits but each to their own .

CookMySock
11th June 2009, 09:31
The way I see it, is there are two approaches to motorcycling ;

1.) Buy a shitter and thrash it, and get happy and comfortable on it, and then move onto the next shitter. Beat the piss out of it until you feel fully in command of the machine. Insure them so whatever you hit you can pay for. Learn to wheelie and stoppie it.

2.) Buy a (preferably brand new) shiney and treat it with the utmost respect. Don't insure it, and whenever you ride it remind yourself of the peril you face today, bother financial and healthwise. Take the utmost care and responsibility around it, and around others, mainly out of pure fear. Never dare wheelie or stoppie it.

One of these is the beginning of a safe motorcycling attitude and career, and one is not. Re-read and tell us which one.

Steve

vifferman
11th June 2009, 09:42
Well said , although I think you meant cordura and not " cordurals".
I disagree, and I think the very worthy "cordurals" should be added to the KB lexicon forthwith, if not sooner. Perhaps thirdwith would be OK.

White Boots
11th June 2009, 10:23
Fixing your bike is part in parcil with owning and riding it. Dont be afraid to work on your bike. You will get to know your bike beter and you will know its safe to ride it as hard you can:2thumbsup