PDA

View Full Version : Oxford heated grips on a Ducati

Voltaire
30th May 2009, 22:17
After years of numb fingers, I read all the comments on Oxford Heated Grips and bought a set from Cycle treads.

I studied the wiring diagram of the 900ss and saw that it had two spare fuses that could be used.
I also noted that the controller for the heated grips required it to be turned on and off manually.
I decided after looking at the bike wiring to wire it directly to the battery with the in line fuse provided but with a relay in circuit run off the easiest connection off the ignition. This turned out to be the front parking light.
The old grips were easily removed, the clutch one slid off without too much effort and the throttle one, I used ideas gleaned off KB and squirted crc under the grip and pumped it with compressed air to 'float' it off.
The end of the throttle needed a bit of filing and the heated grip was glued in place with the glue provided.
The controller was fitted to its plate and I found the mounting for the speedo provided a suitable fixing for it.
The main wiring was routed along the existing loom and I mounted the relay in the fairing.
Testing was done with the negative screwed down and the positive just touching ( just in case).
Ignition was turned on and the relay closed. I pressed the on button and the controller came on at the lowest setting.
It went on to full when the motor was started as it has built in voltage control I 'm guessing to avoid draining the battery.
They heat up quickly and " I can't wait to put it to the test"....
The whole job took about 1 1/2 hours and no hacking was involved.
I got 'frostnip' about 20 years ago doing winter rallys and now get numb fingers very easily, I wished I had these instead of the electrically heated gloves I had back then.
Note: fitting these required a bit of electrical knowledge, if I can help pm me.
cheers

BMWST?
30th May 2009, 22:51
nice install and description!

sinfull
31st May 2009, 00:15
Got told that a good power supply to tap into was the horn wiring as it gets used bugger all anyway and only works when ignition is on !
Gonna get me some for the speed three (took a while to get some feeling back today and it wasn't even that cold)

CookMySock
31st May 2009, 09:55
Good fun!

You can wire these directly to the battery, as they turn off automatically within minutes of stopping the bike. If, for some reason they don't turn off, they can run for quite a while (30 minutes or more) before it will stop the bike from starting. I ditched my controller and just hardwired directly to the headlight relay. They are just always on full in the winter, and if I don't want them on I just pull the plug.

Steve

AllanB
31st May 2009, 10:06
A nice clean install there. Most I've seen have hacked grips and wires everywhere :doh:- well done.

Voltaire
31st May 2009, 15:18
I was prepared for a wet day in the garage...but it was nice and sunny so went on the BFTP ride to Kaiaua and on to Mercer for a pint 'o' Waikato...the beer not the river water...
Started on low heat and by the time I got to Kaiaua they were on full and the tips of my fingers were a bit numb ( thats frost nip from years ago).
As the day progressed I dropped it down to the one above the lowest and it was fine.

Conclusion: well worth the $ 110.00. Fairly easy DIY install.

Now I just need the Oxford Latte holder/warmer :msn-wink: