PDA

View Full Version : Cellphone ban in cars likely this year - NZ Herald

Bend-it
2nd June 2009, 11:08
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10575872&ref=rss

Not sure what I think of this, tbh...

Initially, I thought it was a good thing, afterall, we have all seen drivers do really stupid things because they were distracted on their cellphones...

However, the principle of banning something because someone might do something bad with it is something I generally disagree with... Like banning guns because people have been shot by them, which means we should ban all knives, because far more people have been stabbed then have been shot...

I guess they're not banning cellphones out right, just banning the use of them while driving...

Your thoughts?

James Deuce
2nd June 2009, 11:13
I don't think they should be banned.

I think there should be 3 months jail time and 12 months disqualification for texting whilst driving, and an increased fine/demerits/disqualification/Insurance premium if records indicate that you were using your phone when you have an accident.

Banning is the typical kneejerk response of the reactionary imperialist.

Viva la revolution!

p.dath
2nd June 2009, 11:15
We are talking about saving human lives here. There is no doubt cell phones are a contributing factor in accidents.

I would be happy allowing cell phones to ring, so a driver can pull over and stop - but not allow the operation of the phone for two way communication (specifically for voice, TXT and email) while the vehicle was moving.

Now about using it for GPS and more modern applications, I don't know. But a ban on communications would be a safe start.

James Deuce
2nd June 2009, 11:17
Talking to a passenger is just as dangerous as talking on a cellphone. Again, that is "proven" as well, depending on whose study you read.

If you ban cellphones, you have to ban passengers.

Bend-it
2nd June 2009, 11:21

I think there should be 3 months jail time and 12 months disqualification for texting whilst driving, and an increased fine/demerits/disqualification/Insurance premium if records indicate that you were using your phone when you have an accident.

Viva la revolution!

In order for the jail time, hard labour in Southland etc etc, it has to be banned first, and then punishment inflicted on those who flout the ban...

We are talking about saving human lives here. There is no doubt cell phones are a contributing factor in accidents.

But so is being tired, or distracted, so whould we ban tired drivers and naggy backseat passengers as well?

I guess alcohol is another example, where in itself is okay.... but when combined with piloting a vehicle on a public road, is illegal...

Genestho
2nd June 2009, 11:47
I guess alcohol is another example, where in itself is okay.... but when combined with piloting a vehicle on a public road, is illegal...

Ahh the grey area, alcohol and driving is not illegal, there is a limit.

Nobody can ever tell at any given time what their particular personal limit is!

Due to the variables...

Weight
Mental Health
Physical Health
Food Intake
Sleep
Alcohol Content
Liver Health

Banning cellphones? Don't know, as James said up there, physical distraction is no better, and studies show it to be true!

Bend-it
2nd June 2009, 11:55
Ahh the grey area, alcohol and driving is not illegal, there is a limit.

True dat...

Mikkel
2nd June 2009, 11:55

Viva la revolution!

Or even better - cut off their thumbs!

Viva la Shariah.

CookMySock
2nd June 2009, 12:13
(it's)Like banning guns because people have been shot by them [....] I guess they're not banning cellphones out right, just banning the use of them while driving...Yeah its not like banning guns, its like banning shooting them out the window one-handed while you are driving, because it's very distracting.. for other motorists as well.. :confused: Ya know - someone could conceivably be hurt doing that.. :confused:

The thing is, txting is so much of our culture now, it will be hard for folks to pull up on the side of the road to reply to a txt, and in many places it will be physically difficult, dangerous, or impossible. Gee we all might to get a CB radio installed instead! It will be just like the good ol' days, Luke!

I can see the cellphone companies modifying their software so cellphones are unable to send or receive txts while moving - that will not be difficult at all, and it will be easy to legislate and monitor, and that will be the end of the problem in one fell swoop.

I don't like the legislative approach either, but something has to be done I think. Thats also the good thing about bikes - a lot less distractions.

Steve

Swoop
2nd June 2009, 12:34
Sales of hands-free kits will increase.

EJK
2nd June 2009, 12:43
Heres what I experienced yesturday.

Someone was driving (with 3 passengers including me at the back seat) and we got on to the motorway. Well her cell phone begun to ring. So guess what she did? She pulled over on the side of the MOTORWAY to recieve her call. Wise? I dunno. Crazy? I guess so!

You know where my votes at.

Hitcher
2nd June 2009, 13:02
This is typical under-thought political knee jerk nonsense -- similar to bans on "dangerous" dog breeds and fencing swimming pools.

(I can hear the whining starting up now: "How would you feel if you had lost a child...")

The issue is simple. It's about driver distraction. There are many things that are capable of distracting drivers, of which cellphones are but one or yet another. Children in the back seat are probably more of a distraction (at times) for mothers driving than cellphones. Yet I see no legislation mooted banning the transportation of petulant infants in motor vehicles.

I note too last evening's 60 Minutes programme extolling the evils of cellphones as a possible cause of malignant brain tumours. Perhaps cellphones themselves should be banned outright, thereby negating the proposed legislation for their usage in moving motor vehicles?

yod
2nd June 2009, 13:21
Talking to a passenger is just as dangerous as talking on a cellphone. Again, that is "proven" as well, depending on whose study you read.

correct

and stereos, climate control, cup-holders, glove boxes, seat adjustment, mirror adjustment, eating, smoking, scratching your arse/balls/eyes/ears, farting, belching, laughing, ....basically anything else that a driver can do whilst driving, other than driving.....

Blackbird
2nd June 2009, 14:19

Compounded if you happen to be a female. Have you noticed how many of the fairer sex need to look at each other when talking and driving?

**Sits back and waits for the flak<_<**

Bend-it
2nd June 2009, 14:23
"Ban women drivers"... is that what I'm reading??

:dodge:

Genestho
2nd June 2009, 14:39
Compounded if you happen to be a female. Have you noticed how many of the fairer sex need to look at each other when talking and driving?

**Sits back and waits for the flak<_<**

:laugh: O dear, you had to take it "there"...Cheeky Toad :laugh:

I'm not going to give you flak, but gently point your eyes to the....Male vs Female "diverted attention" crash stats.here (http://www.transport.govt.nz/assets/NewPDFs/Diverted-Attention-Crash-Factsheet.pdf)

p.dath
2nd June 2009, 16:19

I don't believe you. Please cite a reference that shows talking to passengers is just as dangerous as talking on cell phones and drink driving.

jetboy
2nd June 2009, 16:29
I think you should be penalised if you use a cellphone whilst operating any motor vehicle. I am as guilty as the next person of yabbering away and texting whilst driving on occasion, and although I try to confine this to when im stopped at traffic lights etc it's still bloody dangerous and a major hazard for all road users.

Banning cellphones outright is not sensible, but advertising and possibly subsidising in-car kits for those who need it (sales reps etc) should be a possibility.

scumdog
2nd June 2009, 16:35

If you ban cellphones, you have to ban passengers.Bullshit.

A passenger (mostly) will start screaming if they think you're about to plough into something if you're not paying attention.

A cell-phone will not.

And txting is even worse - hell d'ya realise with the literacy levels of some of todays yoof that their eyes would be off the road for like, ten minutes to read a txt?

Naki Rat
2nd June 2009, 16:38

Problems with a hands-free kits are that they cost to install and then usually have to be replaced when the phone is.

Much easier to invest in a GPS with bluetooth function which can double as a HF kit including displaying texts, and so much more..... Just requires a Bluetooth enabled cellphone.

MIXONE
2nd June 2009, 16:44

Woman are allowed to drive?FFS first the vote and now this.

monkeymcbean
2nd June 2009, 17:11

My thoughts are there are enough distractions when driving a car without allowing another like cell phones which require you to drive with one hand, (if you dont have a hands free installed) and somehow be also able to change gear if you don't have a automatic.
People do need to take there driving a bit more seriously, unfortunately manufacturers are making the cars so easy to drive most people could be inclined to fall to sleep, and airbags built into the window pillars which are now so fat and wide, you tend to duck and weave to see out around them, let alone hopefully see the narrow profile of a motorbike going around a round about. blah blah blah.

Finn
2nd June 2009, 17:17
This law will only apply to cars. Bikers can still ride and txt at their discretion. But be very careful, the wind can sometimes whip your glove away from under your armpit.

vifferman
2nd June 2009, 17:19
There are too many rules'n'regulations already. There is already provision (via the "Careless Use" or "Dangerous Use" offences) to cater for 'cellphone impaired' drivers causing mayhem on the roads. I can't see the police enforcing a ban on cellphone use - they already ignore most of the other offences that cause crap driving, in favour of the easily policed ones like speeding.

monkeymcbean
2nd June 2009, 17:24
Bullshit.

A passenger (mostly) will start screaming if they think you're about to plough into something if you're not paying attention.

A cell-phone will not.

And txting is even worse - hell d'ya realise with the literacy levels of some of todays yoof that their eyes would be off the road for like, ten minutes to read a txt?

Well said, and if your on your bike comming up to an intersection where your having to stop, keep an eye in the rear view mirror on those same texting idiots comming up behind you, make sure you have space ahead to acclerate forward out of the way as these guys are slow to pull up behind you where they should.

Skyryder
2nd June 2009, 20:27

The difference being is that a pasanger can see when the driver needs to concentrate and adjust his conversation accordinlgy...........not so the other end of the cell phone. Therein lies the problem.........the driver is more interested in the conversation than his driving and so makes mistakes or if needs to make a correction is delayed in doing so.

Skyryder

Genestho
2nd June 2009, 20:44
The difference being is that a pasanger can see when the driver needs to concentrate and adjust his conversation accordinlgy...........not so the other end of the cell phone. Therein lies the problem.........the driver is more interested in the conversation than his driving and so makes mistakes or if needs to make a correction is delayed in doing so.

Skyryder

I found screeds of research papers by a guy called Strayers, I found a summary - sources and further reading cited, quite interesting...

Couple of excerpts I whipped out of
here (http://www.psychologymatters.org/driverdistract.html)

"David Strayer, PhD, of the Applied Cognition Laboratory at the University of Utah has studied cell-phone impact for more than five years. His lab, using driving high-fidelity simulators while controlling for driving difficulty and time on task, has obtained unambiguous scientific evidence that cell-phone conversations disrupt driving performance. Human attention has a limited capacity, and studies suggest that talking on the phone causes a kind of “inattention blindness” to the driving scene.

Strayer and his colleagues compared data for hand-held and hands-free devices and found no difference in the impairment to driving, thus, they say, raising doubts about the scientific basis for regulations that prohibit only hand-held cell phones

Drivers should also be aware that whether a cell phone is hands-on or hands-free makes no difference in terms of mental distraction.
According to the research, the mental activity of conversation, whether in person or over the phone, is what takes one's mind off the road. What happens in the head happens regardless of what happens with the hands."

I found it interesting they say "Disturbingly, forthcoming research will show that talking on a cell phone (even hands-free) hurts driving even more than driving with blood alcohol at the legal limit (.08 wt/vol). When talking on a cell phone, drivers using a high-fidelity simulator were slower to brake and had more “accidents” than when they weren't on the phone. Their impairment level was actually a little higher than that of people intoxicated by ethanol (alcohol)."

James Deuce
2nd June 2009, 20:50
I don't believe you. Please cite a reference that shows talking to passengers is just as dangerous as talking on cell phones and drink driving.

Bullshit.

A cell-phone will not.

http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/story.php?id=116

There's one. Shall I go on? Bear in mind that you can find a study to support practically any premise, simply by looking on the basis of who paid for the study.

Texting and talking on the phone are both very different activities and I made sure I made a distinction in my earlier post.

I would suggest that using a handset is worse than hands free, and that voice activated handsfree calls are no different to talking to a passenger. Certainly safer than changing a CD on the move. The handset is problematic in an urban area.

I don't agree that passengers "helping" you drive is a good thing at all. I've had passengers freak out over nothing (usually because I'm not doing it the way they would) and distract me from the job at hand far more often than they've "helped". It's why I prefer a bike. The summary reports that I've read that rate talking to a passenger as less dangerous than cellphone use make the distinction between non-driver passengers and experienced drivers.

We don't need any more laws, maybe a couple more penalties specifically related to cellphone use in a vehicle, specifically if a handset was in use at the time of an accident.

The biggest cause of death on NZ roads is inappropriate bahaviour for the conditions. Not speed, cellphones, alcohol, or drugs. It's an issue with attitude that can;t be fixed by substance or technology bans. NZ society seems to based on the premise of, 'I can do whatever I want, and everybody else can go jump."

That's the problem, it isn't simple to fix.

monkeymcbean
2nd June 2009, 21:00
I don't know why everyone starts with the ole well there are so many distractions with kids, passengers, etc etc blah blah...yes this is right, cellphones are just another distraction some choose to add to the mix.
And by banning them it takes away one of the many distractions we seem to have come to accept as part of our driving community. By banning it at least it sends a message through to the hoopleheads that maybe it is not okay to drive around with a phone to my ear, one hand on the steering wheel, yelling at the kids to shut up in the back, eating my food off the floor of the car.

SARGE
2nd June 2009, 21:06
meh.. i LIVE on the phone in the truck... i use a TomTom GO720 with Bluetooth.. connects to my phone when im in the truck and disconnects when i step away .. nice and clear sound ( even over the engine) and i dont have that Wanker Borg hookup on the side of my head all day

also has an MP3 player and FM transmitter...

James Deuce
2nd June 2009, 21:08
And by banning them it takes away one of the many distractions we seem to have come to accept as part of our driving community. By banning it at least it sends a message through to the hoopleheads that maybe it is not okay to drive around with a phone to my ear, one hand on the steering wheel, yelling at the kids to shut up in the back, eating my food off the floor of the car.

It doesn't send any message. Kiwis are only concerned about how society affects them, not how they affect society.

monkeymcbean
2nd June 2009, 21:11
I don't know why everyone starts with the ole well there are so many distractions with kids, passengers, etc etc blah blah...yes this is right, cellphones are just another distraction some choose to add to the mix.

wickle
2nd June 2009, 21:19
Driving with one hand while driving seems to be the whole thing and texting therefore not constrating on driving! then what about , lighting a smoke, smoking, eating a ice cream, sipping out of water bottle smacking the kids fighting in the back. what next!

Mumbles
2nd June 2009, 21:38
In Palmy you can watch school kids on their 50cc scooters texting as they ride down the street I shit you not! :shit

Natural selection i say!! :kick:

Thani-B
2nd June 2009, 21:44
My defensive instructor said that talking on the phone whilst driving is more of a distraction than texting while driving. Not sure I get that but I suppose that you are able to put your phone down while texting if you need to concentrate more on the road however you arent likely to hang up on someone if talking on the phone and you need to concentrate more.

monkeymcbean
2nd June 2009, 21:45
It doesn't send any message. Kiwis are only concerned about how society affects them, not how they affect society.

Very well said........but does that mean you don't do anything? Maybe we need a some tough love, take away the toys. I think as a nation we are very immature about our rights being taken away and what we think is good for us, I reckon most of us need a good slap around the face and a kick up the arse really. I think by banning cellphones it does send a message, people deep down know they should not be texting and talking on the phone and taking your eyes off the road etc etc. Hell im no angle here when i was younger i made a right mess of myself and car after it rolled a few times off the road and around a farmers paddock because of fiddling around with a tape recorder in the car. I did learn my lesson, and thank god i didn't kill anyone.

monkeymcbean
2nd June 2009, 21:51
In Palmy you can watch school kids on their 50cc scooters texting as they ride down the street I shit you not! :shit

Natural selection i say!! :kick:

I agree with you in the natural selection, but usually they like to take other people with them that might have some use in the future gene pool and thats not helpful.

scumdog
2nd June 2009, 22:26
My defensive instructor said that talking on the phone whilst driving is more of a distraction than texting while driving. Not sure I get that but I suppose that you are able to put your phone down while texting if you need to concentrate more on the road however you arent likely to hang up on someone if talking on the phone and you need to concentrate more.

And what about when you're reading a text??:shifty:

CookMySock
2nd June 2009, 22:29
Kiwis are only concerned about how society affects them, not how they affect society.I'm a little shocked to be lumped into that category. Without care for others' rights, there can be no true freedom. That is, what if I stole something that is yours? How can I exercise my freedom of action when it violates your rights?

The bottom line is, I cannot possibly be free to do as I choose, since it might impact your freedom, and consequently the reverse is true. True freedom only comes from me not interfering with you, and vice versa.

To some extent I agree with you - folks are too busy contemplating how they are victimised, where we would all be better served to forget that and go and do the right thing by everyone else.

My defensive instructor said that talking on the phone whilst driving is more of a distraction than texting while driving.I would like to hear the logic behind that.

Steve

DarkLord
2nd June 2009, 22:34
About bloody time. Not that it will stop the stupid buggers, of course.

Nothing worse than erratic cellphone drivers. :mad:

Thani-B
2nd June 2009, 22:35
And what about when you're reading a text??:shifty:

Read a few words, look up, read a few more, look up, finish reading, look up etc lol. Or just for those moments you are reading you are paying no attention to the road at all so better hope that nothing unexpected happens.

Thani-B
2nd June 2009, 22:37
I would like to hear the logic behind that.

He didnt explain it and I was only there to get the cert to cut down my time so didnt bother asking.

Drew
3rd June 2009, 00:08
The option saying "no, but make it..." Is very problematic. It must be proven to contribute. Impossible. There are too many variables in accidents now, add this for a potential dury to ponder, and yet another loop hole for vacant minded wankers to slip through is created.

Laxi
3rd June 2009, 00:14
correct

and stereos, climate control, cup-holders, glove boxes, seat adjustment, mirror adjustment, eating, smoking, scratching your arse/balls/eyes/ears, farting, belching, laughing, ....basically anything else that a driver can do whilst driving, other than driving.....
as long as they dont ban getting a bj while driving:niceone:

ummmm:whistle:

Chrislost
3rd June 2009, 00:15

Is that not using a cellphone while driving...?

I personally have taken some decent photos with my pxt phone while riding, even sent a few texts when i was lost in hamilton and too scared to stop for fear of the police catching up.

Gremlin
3rd June 2009, 00:50
He didnt explain it and I was only there to get the cert to cut down my time so didnt bother asking.
Its not normally so much the use of the mobile (calling or txting) but its the use of your brain, which detracts from the focus of controlling the vehicle.

For example, you're in a technical job, the person rings you outlining a problem. You start to think about the scenario, what could be causing it etc. Now try holding a detailed conversation with someone in person at the same time, without making errors? I know I can't, my normal phone conversations are network problems, pc problems etc, so sometimes quite technical. The conversation in person can be substituted for driving.

I clock up plenty of kilometres, travelling all over the city, and use of the mobile almost certainly results in someone's driving ability to be reduced, either their speed or vehicle control slows, or they tend to lose their knowledge of their surroundings. Reactions, obviously, are also slowed.

Yep, I'm for a ban while driving.

swbarnett
3rd June 2009, 01:42
My thoughts are there are enough distractions when driving a car without allowing another like cell phones which require you to drive with one hand,
Driving with one hand is not hard. It just takes practice. I drove a manual for several weeks with one arm in a cast a few years ago. Even with both arms fully functional I seldom have more than one hand on the wheel when I drive a car. Also, I knew a guy in Europe that only had one arm. He drove both left and right hand drive manual cars with no problems whatsoever.

swbarnett
3rd June 2009, 01:57
Nothing worse than erratic cellphone drivers. :mad:
What about all the other erratic drivers without cellphones? Are they OK then?

swbarnett
3rd June 2009, 02:05
Its not normally so much the use of the mobile (calling or txting) but its the use of your brain, which detracts from the focus of controlling the vehicle.

For example, you're in a technical job, the person rings you outlining a problem. You start to think about the scenario, what could be causing it etc. Now try holding a detailed conversation with someone in person at the same time, without making errors? I know I can't, my normal phone conversations are network problems, pc problems etc, so sometimes quite technical. The conversation in person can be substituted for driving.
My wife has a Masters degree in Nuclear Physics. When we had a car we used to carry on some very in-depth technical conversations while in the car. My concentration was always primarily on the road. We would have to pick up the conversation after a short lapse from time to time because of some dick-head changing lanes on me or some such.

Similarly with my job (very similar to yours, just in the Unix arena). I would get called while in the car. No problem whatsoever. Again I would leave the other person in the lurch when necessary. Wether cellphone or passenger, it made no difference to me.

Elysium
3rd June 2009, 04:53
Ban the bloody things as I'm getting tired having to run for safety when using a pedestrian crossing when some dumb idiot realises at the last minute after yaking or texting on a cellphone.

Boy racer caught with theirs should have theirs crushed on the spot by the police officers.

jonbuoy
3rd June 2009, 05:50
Are they banning car kits as well? I thought the reason most places banned them was that it took one hand to hold the phone, your still allowed to talk just not hold the phone while you do.

YellowDog
3rd June 2009, 06:22
So you can still legally send a test message whilst riding or driving.

I'm going out to get me some fingerless gloves today!!!!

FFS

Swoop
3rd June 2009, 08:18
Is that not using a cellphone while driving...?
No. Only the hand-held units are considered being banned, AFAIK.

Bob
3rd June 2009, 08:50
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10575872&ref=rss

Not sure what I think of this, tbh...

Initially, I thought it was a good thing, afterall, we have all seen drivers do really stupid things because they were distracted on their cellphones...

However, the principle of banning something because someone might do something bad with it is something I generally disagree with... Like banning guns because people have been shot by them, which means we should ban all knives, because far more people have been stabbed then have been shot...

I guess they're not banning cellphones out right, just banning the use of them while driving...

Your thoughts?

In the UK, use of a cellphone, held in the hand, whilst driving is illegal. If the driver is caught, points on the licence (you call them demerits?) and a fine apply.

It is legal to use a hands-free kit. Otherwise, if you want to use a cellphone, you pull over, SWITCH OFF the car and then use the phone. Otherwise, you can be arrested for driving without due care and attention.

I'm all in favour of this - studies of accidents showed that drivers being distracted is a major cause of accidents. Anything that removes yet another distraction for drivers has to be a good thing.

James Deuce
3rd June 2009, 08:56
It's not talking on the handset that is the issue. It's texting. Some of the old people need to get their heads around that. Texting while driving should be an automatic jail term.

While talking on a handset is bad, it is vastly better than texting. I love pulling up alongside a texting bunny at the lights and letting rip with the Stebel, simply for the reaction it generates.

monkeymcbean
3rd June 2009, 08:59
Driving with one hand is not hard. It just takes practice. I drove a manual for several weeks with one arm in a cast a few years ago. Even with both arms fully functional I seldom have more than one hand on the wheel when I drive a car. Also, I knew a guy in Europe that only had one arm. He drove both left and right hand drive manual cars with no problems whatsoever.

No its not hard driving with one hand, but you can tell the difference when you use two hands on the wheel, im sure when your arm was in a cast you were not talking on a cellphone, most likely your attitude was different as well in that you new you had your only good hand on the wheel so you were more careful from the out set of your drive. So if you are on your cellphone with one hand on the steering wheel, are you one of the many that don't or can't then indicate to go around a round about/corner as this is what happens when you are occupied with a cellphone there is no use of indicators

monkeymcbean
3rd June 2009, 09:47
It's not talking on the handset that is the issue. It's texting. Some of the old people need to get their heads around that. Texting while driving should be an automatic jail term.

While talking on a handset is bad, it is vastly better than texting. I love pulling up alongside a texting bunny at the lights and letting rip with the Stebel, simply for the reaction it generates.

Thats the story, get the 'be jesus' up them....yeeeshh cellphone use really winds me up something, statistics mention in Queenstown there is a higher use of cellphones per head of population and you really notice the difference in driving attitude and behaviour along with the tourist driving and high use of campervans its a real potent coctail round here...guess it keeps you on your toes.

been_there
3rd June 2009, 13:21
Texting while driving is impossible for us guys who cant multi-task.
It is farkin dangerous, but so is a 18 year with cut down springs etc. So banning them yes but....
Hands free ok? Again it is still a distraction.

Someone cut me off the other week while they where talking on the phone..Gave them a nice friendly wave.

Ragingrob
3rd June 2009, 14:59
Bugger so when there's a crash on the motorway or something we can't ring *555 to report it or anything huh? And noone can get hold of us when they need to urgently if we're on the motorway, not allowed to pull over to answer even!

Yeah so if they do ban them, I think they need to change a few other things first.

monkeymcbean
3rd June 2009, 16:27
Bugger so when there's a crash on the motorway or something we can't ring *555 to report it or anything huh? And noone can get hold of us when they need to urgently if we're on the motorway, not allowed to pull over to answer even!

Yeah so if they do ban them, I think they need to change a few other things first.

Try a Hands free set, if you need to use your phone in emergency

Usarka
3rd June 2009, 16:58
I suspect this emotional banning frenzy has been stirred up by the phone companies. They're going to make a mint selling hands-free kits which aren't actually proven to be significantly safer.

Fuck our law makers are stupid. We deserve them.

swbarnett
3rd June 2009, 17:14
No its not hard driving with one hand, but you can tell the difference when you use two hands on the wheel,
No difference really. When I use both hands on the wheel I feel like I've got one to spare that's not doing much.

im sure when your arm was in a cast you were not talking on a cellphone,
Now that would've been a sight - one hand holding cellphone one incapacitated and knees on the wheel - definitely not.

most likely your attitude was different as well in that you new you had your only good hand on the wheel so you were more careful from the out set of your drive.
No difference here either as I mostly drive with one hand anyway. The other hand just changes gear.

So if you are on your cellphone with one hand on the steering wheel, are you one of the many that don't or can't then indicate to go around a round about/corner as this is what happens when you are occupied with a cellphone there is no use of indicators
When I use one hand to drive the indicators do not suffer. Neither does the high-beam control at night. It's all about hand placement and thinking ahead - something I'm still capable of doing while carrying on a conversation (irrespective of whether it's with a passenger or on a cellphone).

Really the thrust of my argument is not that everybody is capable of putting a cellphone in it's place while driving i.e. a definite second. It's just that I don't believe we need another law to deal with those that can't. The current laws surrounding due care and attention should be plenty.

chester
3rd June 2009, 19:54
I have two cb radios in my work truck, which causes as much distraction as my cell phone. so ban the phone, but what about the radios?:shit:

monkeymcbean
3rd June 2009, 21:27
No difference really. When I use both hands on the wheel I feel like I've got one to spare that's not doing much.

Now that would've been a sight - one hand holding cellphone one incapacitated and knees on the wheel - definitely not.

No difference here either as I mostly drive with one hand anyway. The other hand just changes gear.

When I use one hand to drive the indicators do not suffer. Neither does the high-beam control at night. It's all about hand placement and thinking ahead - something I'm still capable of doing while carrying on a conversation (irrespective of whether it's with a passenger or on a cellphone).

Really the thrust of my argument is not that everybody is capable of putting a cellphone in it's place while driving i.e. a definite second. It's just that I don't believe we need another law to deal with those that can't. The current laws surrounding due care and attention should be plenty.

Well I commend your driving skills, and im sure your going to be right on what you believe.

James Deuce
4th June 2009, 00:43
I have two cb radios in my work truck, which causes as much distraction as my cell phone. so ban the phone, but what about the radios?:shit:
Can't have a truck without a radio. Sorry it isn't right. That would make about as much sense as Bruno landing in Eminem's lap wearing trousers instead of chaps.

Mort
4th June 2009, 11:31
SWBarnett - I see you still think you have superior multi-tasking skills and believe that you have the right to use a phone whilst driving. The world over is recognising that using a phone whilst driving has cost lives. As bikers we are particularly vulnerable.

How would you feel if a moments in-attention caused by using a phone whilst driving caused the death of a child or say, another biker ? Don't say it couldn't happen....it could. Don't say it hasn't happened , because it has.

Mschvs
4th June 2009, 15:20
It's a brilliant idea, should have happened a long time ago ....

Bend-it
4th June 2009, 16:15

Gears?? Eeeeeeeewww, that's so 1980... :dodge:

SWBarnett - I see you still think you have superior multi-tasking skills and believe that you have the right to use a phone whilst driving. The world over is recognising that using a phone whilst driving has cost lives. As bikers we are particularly vulnerable.

How would you feel if a moments in-attention caused by using a phone whilst driving caused the death of a child or say, another biker ? Don't say it couldn't happen....it could. Don't say it hasn't happened , because it has.

But morons driving have also caused deaths... so do we ban driving altogether?? And if I were to drive or ride without my glasses, I'd defintely kill someone! Licensing and endorsements *theoretically* takes care of that, so maybe we should have a "driving with a cellphone" endorsement on a license, like the "must wear corrective lenses when driving" endorsement on mine?

Genestho
4th June 2009, 16:16

Well said.

Hitcher
4th June 2009, 20:05

People know the dangers inherent in TXTing while driving. If they don't then they're fucktards and passing a law isn't going to change their coefficient of fucktardedness.

Ocean1
4th June 2009, 20:28
passing a law isn't going to change their coefficient of fucktardedness.

Which fact has slowed the landslide of nuisence laws over the last few years not a jot.

My remaining hope is that we'll soon be constrained by so many that the respective authorities won't be able to find the one pertaining to any given crime.

That, or we'll all avoid a spell at Her Majesty’s pleasure simply because the polise force comprises the total population.

swbarnett
4th June 2009, 21:57

I'm sure it has. So has smoking, smacking kids and any other distraction you care to name. So why are we singling out cellphone use? My point is simply that we already have a law on the books to deal with distracted drivers, whatever the cause, we don't need more.

My own abilities are not really at issue. I only bring them up to illustrate that just because some people are incapable of carrying on a conversation while driving does not mean we should all be tarred with the same brush. There are those that should never be allowed behind the wheel. Does that mean we should ban driving?

Mort
4th June 2009, 22:37
Why single out cellphone drivers ?

Because it is a widespread cause of driving without due care.
Because it is a relatively new cause of accidents which can be addressed.
Because a ban will reduce accidents and deaths caused by using cellphones whilst driving
Because it is more detectable and can be deterred (A cop sees you do it and gives you a ticket)
Because preventing use will reduce the possibility of accidents before they happen whereas existing laws can often only be applied when an accident has already happened.
Because the penalty for causing an accident through cellphone use will attract a significantly heavier penalty than it does now.
Because it wil encourage safer hands-free technology.

and as far as using your own super-human multi-tasking abilities to illustrate your point.... Guess what...I can drive and use a cell phone too. The difference between us is I think its a bloody dangerous thing to do regardless of ability.

Ocean1
4th June 2009, 22:45
Why single out cellphone drivers ?

If it hasn't been pointed out already talking on a cellphone has been demonstrated to cause exactly the same level of driver distraction as talking to a passenger. And the introduction of laws banning hand-held phone use in Aus had zero effect on accident stat’s having phone use as a contributing factor.