Windows Security Center wont update:argh:

OK, built me a new system and decide to try Windows Vista,
all good getting use to the layout, hey not bad don't know what all the fuss
was about.
Anyhow been going good for a month now, then all of a sudden I get a
Windows Security Center Alert, saying,

Automatic Updating off

When I check my settings, it is set to,
Install updates Automatically (recommended)
but is shows as off.

when I try to set it manually it comes back with

Security Center can't change you automatic updating settings.

google is not my friend here, I am sick of reading about others having the same problem,
But no one seems to have a fix or work round,

Help meeeeeeeee please, Im sure someone here has had this problem and got it sorted.

cheers john.

steve_t
3rd June 2009, 18:45
Have you got all the latest updates?

Mom
3rd June 2009, 18:49
Im sure someone here has had this problem and got it sorted.
cheers john.

Friggen computers! I am about over them today too! Good luck with your problem too. I can not believe you like Vista! Nightmare for me to use in an office situation, I dont have time to learn where everything is, I just want to do it :yes:

Been ages too! Hope all is well with you and yours.

oldguy
3rd June 2009, 19:03
Friggen computers! I am about over them today too! Good luck with your problem too. I can not believe you like Vista! Nightmare for me to use in an office situation, I dont have time to learn where everything is, I just want to do it :yes:

Been ages too! Hope all is well with you and yours.

Hi mom, has been a while, all good here pretty much a single man these days, family all gone, got too much time on my hands and don't know what to do.

still got my old PC which runs XP Home, its more a Gaming Machine, yes I play on line games, guess i haven't grown up haha

must catch up with you and Mr maha sometime, when it gets warmer, I hate the cold:cold:

cheers john

oldguy
3rd June 2009, 20:20
Have you got all the latest updates?
Can't get any update at all even if I go direct to MS and try and download Friggin thing

popa griffin
3rd June 2009, 20:34
Simple fix here.

Unplug computer, go to second story window, belcony, or if you dont have a second story climb onto the roof. throw said computer off roof, or out window or over belcony. problem fixed, you wont have anymore problems with windows.

Now switch to linux.

CookMySock
3rd June 2009, 21:16
Time for some Linux Lovin'

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Steve

oldguy
3rd June 2009, 21:28
i find linux to hard, I like to just click to install, not write a program just to install something simple, all these different file types. its a programers OS.

Come on Vista users, does anyone have any idea

Pussy
3rd June 2009, 21:34
Being VERY computer illiterate.... whenever I've experienced problems like yours, oldguy, I've phoned the Microsoft helpdesk. They had to send some sort of patch to me on two occasions.
Might be worth a crack?

Blackshear
3rd June 2009, 21:35
i find linux to hard, I like to just click to install, not write a program just to install something simple, all these different file types. its a programers OS.

I wouldn't have a clue.
Install XP, or install 7.
Or if you're feeling brave, install Arch Linux :whistle:

magicfairy
3rd June 2009, 21:38
Have a look in event viewer - system or application log.
there may be some more meaningful error messages. Right click my computer, choose manage.
also vista requires you to run some management tools as an admin, even though logged in as one. it may be user access control issue, why you cant change it. you could turn it off briefly in control panel and try again. but it should have prompted you if that was it.
found this also:
"A lot of people are experiencing a weird issue while trying to update their Windows Vista with SP1. In fact, the operating system could nag you that important updates are available, but when you try to update the system through the “check for updates” button you get back the following message: “The Automatic Updates feature is not configured on this computer”. After that a button to enable automatic updates is provided, but once you press it, you are faced with this new message: “Security Center can’t change your automatic update settings”. At this point, no matter what you do, you won’t manage to download the updates successfully. Here is the hack to fix the issue:

Click Start.
Click Run…(or do it from command line maybe) Type the following commands, and press Enter after each of them (also wait for the window saying the operation was performed successfully to appear)
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll "

p.dath
3rd June 2009, 21:45
More than likely your machine is infected with malware or a virus. Have you got an upto date virus checker installed?

Try downling Vista SP2 manually and installing that. It may repair the issue, and then you can rnu a virus scan.

phaedrus
3rd June 2009, 21:48

yea, i wouldn't recommend Linux to anyone yet, installing things is just too hard (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/software-installation-in-linux-is-difficult/)