PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER clutch Q

Velox
20th March 2005, 00:31
Ok - I've got the bits now but I was just wondering how many ks clutch fibres are meant to do? It's just about to go around the clock (in 4000km), and it's both been ridden reasonably hard and been a commuter for the last 60,000km.

DEATH_INC.
20th March 2005, 07:16
If they're treated nicely they'll almost last as long as the engine,but the average lifespan seems to be 60-80,000k's.......unless it's my bike then 1 drag meeting will kill 'em....

Velox
21st March 2005, 00:39
Cheers - 100,000 isn't too bad then. :niceone:

spudchucka
21st March 2005, 01:10
I have a Subaru that has done over 300K on its original clutch.

avgas
21st March 2005, 05:37
youll feel it go - and still be able to get home. once rode a GSXF750 that had done 160,000ks on the original clutch........i still took it about 35ks to a mates place with the clutch spinning out heaps (was doing 100kph where it usually did 180kph at the same revs).

Velox
21st March 2005, 23:33
once rode a GSXF750 that had done 160,000ks on the original clutch

Shhhh - I want to hear comments like, "Woah - 100,000km! It usually dies at around 70,000!" I've already spent the $ you see, and the clutch is half dead.

madboy
21st March 2005, 23:35
have I mentioned that my new bike has 7600km on the clock?

aff-man
21st March 2005, 23:40
Shhhh - I want to hear comments like, "Woah - 100,000km! It usually dies at around 70,000!" I've already spent the $ you see, and the clutch is half dead.

You=re lucky my 250 engine only lasted 50000km :brick: :brick: hahaha

Uncle B
21st March 2005, 23:40
The Jade is going to humm along with a new clutch......wot about fork seals?

Velox
21st March 2005, 23:53
The Jade is going to humm along with a new clutch......wot about fork seals?
I've given up on fork seals. Done them too many times now. I think I'll just accept that it's an old bike, they're stuffed but it still handles fine, and move on. Oh the joys of older bikes eh.

Haven't heard from you in a whild VTwin. Bike still going good and you're getting some good rides in?

Velox
21st March 2005, 23:56
have I mentioned that my new bike has 7600km on the clock?
:blah:

You=re lucky my 250 engine only lasted 50000km hahaha
Hey - when did you get the 600? Didn't you have the 250 at Tokaanu last year?

Uncle B
22nd March 2005, 00:08
Haven't heard from you in a whild VTwin. Bike still going good and you're getting some good rides in?

Chain wore out and I'm waiting for the replacement to arrive.
Rides...done a couple of big ones over summer but havn't been out for a while.
Give us a bell when you get the clutch done and we'll go for a fang over the hill....i need to up my skills again.

Velox
22nd March 2005, 00:17
Chain wore out and I'm waiting for the replacement to arrive.
Rides...done a couple of big ones over summer but havn't been out for a while.
Give us a bell when you get the clutch done and we'll go for a fang over the hill....i need to up my skills again.
:killingme Yeah right mate! (re. skills rather than ride!)
Sounds good! In 4,4000km I'll be going on a "round the clock ride", so I'll let you know. Except I'll be out heaps before then though.
I would've thought the shop would have a chain for a SV in stock? :spudwhat:

aff-man
22nd March 2005, 08:44
:blah:

Hey - when did you get the 600? Didn't you have the 250 at Tokaanu last year?

Nope i had the green kwaka400.... got the 6 hundy about 3-4 weeks ago and abbbbbsoooooofrrrrikkkkkkkkkkennnnlllluuuuuuttttll lyyyyyy lovin it. :niceone:

speedpro
22nd March 2005, 21:37

You obviously don't try hard enough!

Velox
23rd March 2005, 00:29
Nope i had the green kwaka400.... got the 6 hundy about 3-4 weeks ago and abbbbbsoooooofrrrrikkkkkkkkkkennnnlllluuuuuuttttll lyyyyyy lovin it. :niceone:
Woohooo! Nice one mate! :2thumbsup

btw - Did the clutch tonight!

aff-man
23rd March 2005, 08:27
Woohooo! Nice one mate! :2thumbsup

btw - Did the clutch tonight!

And is she/he going a bit better/whole lot better. The solution i found to the almightly clutch wear question is just get a bigger bike. That way when pulling a mono you don't have to dump the clutch just a little flick does the trick. :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

flyin
23rd March 2005, 09:35
And is she/he going a bit better/whole lot better. The solution i found to the almightly clutch wear question is just get a bigger bike. That way when pulling a mono you don't have to dump the clutch just a little flick does the trick. :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

hmmm maybe i should try that...... my clucth is rooted and the bikes only done 24000km............... i say its all cos the chick who had it before me slipped it hrdout........ nothing to do with regular wheelie practice i tell ya..... :cool:

oldfart
23rd March 2005, 20:53
Guy at my work had a new clutch fitted to his TL1000 today, only done 35,000ks - was told by the mechanic at Hladane's that that's pretty good for one of those

Velox
24th March 2005, 00:13
Yeah - I don't have to treat it like a moody little kid and watch everything I do in case I set it off! Now I can just open the throttle up and it'll go with no probs. Luuuuuxury!

35,000!!! I don't know much about clutch life (hence the original Q) but that seems really short!

aff-man
24th March 2005, 00:46
Yeah - I don't have to treat it like a moody little kid and watch everything I do in case I set it off! Now I can just open the throttle up and it'll go with no probs. Luuuuuxury!

35,000!!! I don't know much about clutch life (hence the original Q) but that seems really short!

Yes and no. It all depends on how you set your clutch up. If you have it set up so it rides a lot, or dumps. Also if you upshift using your clutch a lot that can wear it(basically riding it). And well 35000km is retty short but have you been doing wheelies or slipper starts (drag racing) etc etc :2thumbsup

John
24th March 2005, 00:48
Sounds like shit though, need a new one.

My clutch is already going bye bye, I'm gunna stop those random front getting up antics when I'm by myself now :P, ZXR is alot easier to dump than the ZZR was.

But clutch is alittle weak, slips abit on release sometime.

FROSTY
24th March 2005, 19:30
hey velox--iffn I were you Id fit a set of fork gaiters. I know theyll look naff but they'll save ya fork oil from leaking onto the front brakes