PDA

View Full Version : RMZ Conversion

That Guy
4th June 2009, 11:51
Hi all, thought I'd post up here my progress in building my first motard bike. I have a RMZ450 sitting in the garage so that's going to be the bike. Not the best bike being a 4 speed but good enough to start with for me as I have never done motard before.

Will post up some pics soon.

Stage 1:
Starting with 3.5x17 front, and 4.25x17 rear wheels (excel), bigger disc, skids knobs, hand guards, carb/radiator catch can, 15 x 45 gearing, lock wiring a few parts, smaller front guard and a new exhaust to liberate some exhaust gases:msn-wink:

Stage II:
once I've done some races and learnt how to ride fast enough (if) will be slipper clutch, bigger front caliper and master cylinder, some engine work and more sprockets once I get a feel for which track needs what gearing.

Just placed orders for Stage 1. Plan to have ready for the taupo motard event in August.

DELLORTO
4th June 2009, 14:41
4 speed?? what year is that?

That Guy
4th June 2009, 15:17

Shorty_925
4th June 2009, 15:40
Sounds good. Interesting gearing, what is the rear tyre you gong to be running? And what size tyre?

kezzafish
4th June 2009, 18:42
will be interesting to see how you get on with the gearing. I figured it would be a waste of money for me to get motard rims for my SXF450 'cos of the 4 speed. But if you get on allright it may be worthwhile for me to look into.

Then there's the internal gearing to take into account as my 4th seems lower than other 4speed MXer 450s i've ridden. Stupid SX model. Other thing i've heard is that the 5 speed out of the 450 XCF will fit in mine but that's an expensive exercise and now i'm just a thread pirate lol. Anyone know about this stuff? Quasi? i'm sure i can find the gear ratio facts on the KTM website but what about the XCF conversion?

That Guy
4th June 2009, 19:56
Yeah 4 gears not ideal. I've spoken with a few guys who run a 4 speed box and they all say they are ok, you just need to carry more sprocket options! I've got a 14 & 15 Front and 44, 46 rear to start on order. I reckon if you want to win you need 5 or 6 speed gearbox but we'll see:sleep:

That Guy
4th June 2009, 19:57
OK Project start, heres the bike:

That Guy
4th June 2009, 19:58
and first part arrived (getting exciting now)

That Guy
4th June 2009, 20:01
Sounds good. Interesting gearing, what is the rear tyre you gong to be running? And what size tyre?

14/15 x 44/46 to start.
Going for a 150/17" rear with 4.25" rim. I know plenty of people go for 5" rims and 160s but I am a fan of as little unsprung weight as possible, + its only ever going to be 55-65 horsepower....haven't chosen tyres yet....was thinking of super soft sports tyres rather than slicks or wets....undecided. Thoughts?

DELLORTO
4th June 2009, 20:08
and first part arrived (getting exciting now)

im so jealous!!!! my dream is too have a fresh shinny 450 in the shed with racing parts to go with it ! ands the funnest part is putting the parts on and watching it go together :eek::eek:

Shorty_925
4th June 2009, 23:23
where did you find a GPR? Looks chunky to say the least. Be ready for this sunday? Luckily ive got a 5-speed, your problem is the colour of your bike....yellow, should have chosen blue! :bleh:

That Guy
5th June 2009, 08:30
GPR is very chunky and not my first choice but got it brand new for $147 from trademe in a $1 reserve sale. Good enough then:)

not going to be ready this weekend, some parts have a 4 week wait :(

So if I get blue plastics for it the gear box will amzingly change to a 5 speed?:eek:

t3mp0r4ry nzr
5th June 2009, 10:30
Im so jealous of your bike lift :niceone:

That Guy
5th June 2009, 10:53
Bike lift is awesome, really saves my dicky back. Use it for all sorts of stuff, highly recommended. Not cheap (about $600 I think) but I bought it 7 years ago and reckon it'll do another 20 at least. Folds flat enough to park a car over the top of it too.

Crasherfromwayback
5th June 2009, 11:25
Yeah 4 gears not ideal. I've spoken with a few guys who run a 4 speed box and they all say they are ok, you just need to carry more sprocket options! I've got a 14 & 15 Front and 44, 46 rear to start on order. I reckon if you want to win you need 5 or 6 speed gearbox but we'll see:sleep:

The four speed RMZ isn't too much of an issue mate...but you'll be needing a 36 and a 38t rear for faster tracks!

That Guy
5th June 2009, 11:40
The four speed RMZ isn't too much of an issue mate...but you'll be needing a 36 and a 38t rear for faster tracks!

good to hear you say that - more and more people seem to reckon the 4 speeds aren't a major issue. As always with racing much more of a major is the bravery factor aye! :devil2:

36 and 38 with 15 front? Assume that is for full raod racing track like Manfield/Taupo (ie full length main straights?)

I was thinking 44/46 with 15 front for go kart style tracks.....guess I'm gonna need a big box of sprockets!

scott411
5th June 2009, 11:50
i ran a 06 RMZ450 and just used to change the gearing, for really small tracks i ran 15/49, (only tauranui) and with the likes of the full taupo circuit and pearoa i ram 15-36, i did not lose to much to the 5 speed 450's,

the short circuit at taupo i ran 15-39,

Crasherfromwayback
5th June 2009, 11:52
good to hear you say that - more and more people seem to reckon the 4 speeds aren't a major issue. As always with racing much more of a major is the bravery factor aye! :devil2:

36 and 38 with 15 front? Assume that is for full raod racing track like Manfield/Taupo (ie full length main straights?)

I was thinking 44/46 with 15 front for go kart style tracks.....guess I'm gonna need a big box of sprockets!

Wanganui I was running 15/38 and it was spot on. I don't bother with Manfeild etc as it's too hard on the bike...and I've done way too many laps there anyway!

That Guy
5th June 2009, 12:17
Thanks for the advice gents

That Guy
13th June 2009, 11:53
Sigh, waiting for parts run out of things to do. Turns out "parts delviered in 5 days" is more like 5 weeks. Ho hum.

That Guy
19th June 2009, 19:34
So while I wait I've ordered some custom RMZ450SMR stickers from proshield - excellent company, easy to deal with, recommended for your stickers/numbers etc: www.proshield.co.nz

That Guy
19th June 2009, 19:41
and I got a second hand front Metzeler Racetech thanks to neil_cb125t. Good deal and easy on the budget.

Shorty_925
19th June 2009, 20:07
Looks like its coming together nicely.

That Guy
2nd July 2009, 12:20
couple more bits arrived

Shorty_925
2nd July 2009, 17:26
that from the good buggers at motoworks..?

Buddha#81
2nd July 2009, 21:23
couple more bits arrived

where did you source the front guard? I'll be needing one for the DRZ soon.

That Guy
3rd July 2009, 10:48
yep motoworks for the catch tank things and fender: www.vroom.co.nz

Shorty_925
5th July 2009, 19:28
going to be ready and going to head up for next meeting at roys hill? <- 2nd of August, a good shake-down for taupo.

That Guy
6th July 2009, 09:46
I bloody hope so! The rate the parts are dribbling in though, not holding my breath.

That Guy
25th July 2009, 20:16
Gave up with my new black wheels coming from o/s and bought second hand ones locally. Don't like the colour but saved myself $800 on new ones + free (half worn) slicks to go with it. Only problem is the carriers don't fit my sprockets or larger disc I had so have to sort that.

Went to lock wire the sump drain bolts....why the hell does Suzuki design it with THREE bolts?! Dumb...any way did a really rough job of lock wiring having drilled the bolts - but it was super fidly as the crank case gets in the way. Will have to do it again though, way too rough...

PS Why do people do up bolts so god-damned tight?! The sprocket carrier bolts were loaded with loc-tite and about 500ft/lbs too tight. Result? I broke the head clean off a counter sunk bolt trying to get the sprocket carrier off the hub Man they were so tight the allen key was flexing (dramatically) in my hand. I heated things up too, still broke it. Oh well....need a super hard drill bit now to get that one out

Am I the only one who uses a torque wrench? Sheesh.

Anyway some pics to date.....a bunch of sprockets that don't fit, the radiator overflow bottle, rough lock wiring job, the new wheels (which do fit) and my junior helper who at least isn't strong enuogh to strip heads off bolts, but is able to make any job take 5 times longer than it should!!

Shorty_925
26th July 2009, 22:03
going to be together in time for next weekend?

That Guy
10th August 2009, 19:48
put some hurried parts together and managed to get to the Taupo motard race on Sunday. Raced in the S1 B grade and given it was the first time I'v ever ridden a motard bike or raced at all in over a year things went ok. 3 crashes took their toll in the end, but ran in the top 5 or so most of the time when I wasn't crashing :doh: A bit bruised but great fun!

Looking forward to having a go at Roys Hill next.

Shorty_925
10th August 2009, 20:51
hey mate, you were right next door in the same garage. You were going well. I didnt do too badly in the races considering my sore wrist. Found out today its broken, so in plaster for 6 weeks, have to miss next taupo event, gutted.

That Guy
10th August 2009, 21:06
You rode with a broken wrist! Yikes.
The guy on the husky in my garage broke his collar bone on those whoops. The whoop section caught a huge amount of people out.

What did you think of the track?

Shorty_925
10th August 2009, 21:16
yea, created another bone from the crash! hahaha, only hurt landing from the jumps, and could only brake so late.

More seal area would be great, was 1 lined in the dirt, the stones on the seal got annoying. Last race or two were best in the dirt section, top had come off and got more grip.

That was Steven Bridge that broke the colarbone.

That Guy
11th August 2009, 09:03
Steven Bridge - he's the F1 engineering guy isn't he? I think he is more or less a 1 man band business so that will make things hard. hope he has insurance...

I agree more seal would be better - and longer straights/less chicanes. The stones were a pain by the end.

I was on slicks which were crap for the first half of the day on the dirt - hence 3 crashes!

Shorty_925
12th August 2009, 17:49
here's a few photos for you to enjoy!

paturoa
12th August 2009, 18:25
put some hurried parts together and managed to get to the Taupo motard race on Sunday.

Is that junior helper in pic #1?

Looks like a load of fun.

That Guy
13th August 2009, 09:25
here's a few photos for you to enjoy!

Cool. Which bike is you?

That Guy
13th August 2009, 09:26
Is that junior helper in pic #1?

Looks like a load of fun.

Yep junior helper. He spent most of the day looking for Valentino Rossi, was a bit miffed he couldn't find him.

Shorty_925
13th August 2009, 16:55
Cool. Which bike is you?

the bike with 184 on it.

That Guy
13th August 2009, 20:32
yep thought your bike was 184 couldn't remember your number.

I think you passed us on the road back to HB too after the race? I had to carry on to Wellington that night, pretty stuffed when I got home.....but at least my wrist wasn't broken!