PDA

View Full Version : feeling of speed

FROSTY
20th March 2005, 09:11
Thanks to baby bikies "assistance" Ive gone back to my Shoei rf800 and my old leather gear. I noticed that suddenly my sense of speed had changed.
I felt I was riding slower than with my normal commuting kit on.
Same bike ,same road .same speed yet it feels slower.
Go figure. Anyone else had that weird sensation?

Sensei
20th March 2005, 09:16
Some days you just don't feel the same . Must have something to do with your Biorythem or something like that :spudwhat:
SENSEI

StoneChucker
20th March 2005, 09:17
Not yet, but I hear as you get older, your senses change slightly. In time they will disappear completely...

FROSTY
20th March 2005, 09:37
Ahhh young luke you have so much to learn. --R2 the lightsabres if you please.
We'll see who's loosing sensation in a couple of weeks young fulla :shake:

Wolf
20th March 2005, 10:29
gone back to my Shoei rf800 and my old leather gear. I noticed that suddenly my sense of speed had changed.

What is your normal commuting kit for comparison's sake? Noisier helmet in your commuting gear, maybe? More wind noise, higher perception of speed.

TwoSeven
20th March 2005, 11:06
Thanks to baby bikies "assistance" Ive gone back to my Shoei rf800 and my old leather gear. I noticed that suddenly my sense of speed had changed.
Same bike ,same road .same speed yet it feels slower.
Go figure. Anyone else had that weird sensation?

I think its a quite common occurance.

There is an old rule that people with new kit have more accidents than people with old kit. Has something to do with the sense of security.

I had a look into it once back in the UK and noticed that people who brought new leathers tended to suffer from a broken right hand or dislocated shoulder (or some form of right side injury like that). Turned out that they had more confidence, went faster and eventually over-shot a corner. The broken hand was a result of not letting go when they ran off the road.

The reason why you think you may be going slower (unless you really are) is that strange kit tends to interfere with your senses or more specifically, the balance of all your senses put together. As mr Code put it, you have a fixed number of inputs, when you are familiar with something, you can redirect those resources onto something else. In your case, your perception of speed is easier because your not being irritated by the new kit.

(just a theory).

FROSTY
20th March 2005, 11:51
What is your normal commuting kit for comparison's sake? Noisier helmet in your commuting gear, maybe? More wind noise, higher perception of speed.
yea that too--my commuter gear is to keep me dry and maximum pheripheral vision-ie HJC lid

Racey Rider
20th March 2005, 12:39
On a trip to Manfield once on my RGV250, I stopped after half n hour to buy some ear plugs.
I noticed straight away the extra speed I inadvertently put on.
I had been cruising steady at 110k, but after putting the plugs in, I often found I had crepted up to 130k or more without meaning too.

MacD
20th March 2005, 14:39
Well these ACC Staff (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10116264) certainly had an incorrect perception of their speed!

What was that Michael Jackson song again? "Killer, Killer...." :whistle:

I find wearing earplugs makes the biggest difference to my speed perception. Partly wind noise and partly engine pitch. Both sound "faster" without the earplugs.

Kickaha
20th March 2005, 20:39
On a trip to Manfield once on my RGV250, I stopped after half n hour to buy some ear plugs.
I noticed straight away the extra speed I inadvertently put on.
I had been cruising steady at 110k, but after putting the plugs in, I often found I had crepted up to 130k or more without meaning too.

found the same thing when I started to wear earplugs on the Ducati, until I got used to them I found I was always traveling about 20-25km faster than I normally did.

Biff
20th March 2005, 20:45
Anyone else had that weird sensation?

Yep, all the time.
I put it down to the fact that my 'play outfit' makes me feel sportier :spudwhat: