PDA

View Full Version : Windows SBS 2008 - work offered

scracha
5th June 2009, 11:37
Customer migrating from 2 x SBS 2003 servers to an SBS2008. Been brutally honest and told him I've no SBS 08 experience. I need assistance if the migration goes t!ts up (been told it's a piece of piss but there's always something goes wrong). Also, he wants a contract so I'll need someone to cover (usually via VPN) if it dies whilst I'm on holiday/racing/whatever (already got NBD HW support.

PM me if interested. Got 2 or 3 other good customers wanting similar.

p.dath
5th June 2009, 12:14
What city is this in?

scracha
5th June 2009, 12:19
30Km east of Hamilton or about 1.5 hours drive from central Auckland. To be honest, it's a server and if it's anything like SBS2000 and 2003 then I don't anticipate having to be on site more than a couple of times a year so the odds of my "backup" person needing to come out during my 3 or 4 weeks holiday a year is slim to fark all. None of the local guys I use from time to time know 2008. I'm doing the desktop support (Win XP and waiting on Win 7 so no vista) and for that a couple of days response time is OK (can use local guys for that if push comes to shove). Server is NBD so there shouldn't be any burning the midnight oil type shennanegans.

Mikkel
5th June 2009, 12:19
I didn't know SBS (http://www.sbs.dk/index.dsp?area=84) made servers...

ArcherWC
5th June 2009, 12:28
Phillip p.dath or I can both help you (we actually work a bit together)
I have got a couple of SBS 2008 servers in production. There was a couple of minor "gotchas" but nothing major.
They have been in since new year and are going VERY well (almost surprising knowing Microsoft)

jim.cox
5th June 2009, 14:00
Customer migrating from 2 x SBS 2003 servers to an SBS2008.

Why the two into one move?, if I may be so rude as to ask.

Isn't it better to have some redundancy in the system?

scracha
5th June 2009, 14:03
Why the two into one move?, if I may be so rude as to ask.

Isn't it better to have some redundancy in the system?

SBS 2008 license doesnie let you do the 2 server thing anymore (AFAIK but I may be wrong as I'm an SBS noob). Think you have to buy the uber expensive enterprise edition that supports virtualisation.

Redundancy...yeah...hopefully covered. Gmail, offline files and hot swappable accusys drive thingie.