PDA

View Full Version : Smaller plate?

disturbed
7th June 2009, 20:01
is it legal to have a modyfied number plate, im wanting a certain tail tidy for my bike but the current plate wont fit between my mufflers. ive seen cars with just number stickers on the front bumper, is this legal??

http://www.british-customs.com/product.php?productid=17194&cat=316&page=6

nallac
7th June 2009, 20:09
short answer..no

p.dath
7th June 2009, 20:59
is it legal to have a modyfied number plate, im wanting a certain tail tidy for my bike but the current plate wont fit between my mufflers. ive seen cars with just number stickers on the front bumper, is this legal??

http://www.british-customs.com/product.php?productid=17194&cat=316&page=6

This is covered by LTSA regulations. I don't believe you have to have a state manufactured plate. The regulations (which I'm sure will be on www.ltsa.org.nz) say how big, wide and high the letters need to be.

TOTO
7th June 2009, 23:26
my plate was cut up to fit, and got in trouble with the plod. not worth tinkering with it. u will be sorry.

popelli
8th June 2009, 03:32
This is covered by LTSA regulations. I don't believe you have to have a state manufactured plate.

yes you do and I got a ticket to prove this

however I had a good reason for changing the plate and the case was thrown out of court

Gremlin
8th June 2009, 05:13
Short answer, as said, is no.

Technically, you can't even drill holes through it for mounting (going by the applicable laws) but obviously this bit is ignored.

$200 fine from memory. No demerits.

SARGE
8th June 2009, 06:47
my plate was cut up to fit, and got in trouble with the plod. not worth tinkering with it. u will be sorry.

ive cut mine down on Spooky .. never had an issue ..

then again .... i never stopped to ask why Mr. Plod was following me

Owl
8th June 2009, 07:12
A "Tail Tidy" is not that hard to make. At least that way you can make it to fit your plate.

Taz
8th June 2009, 08:23
The number plate mount that came with the bike would have worked with absolutely no problems at all........

CookMySock
8th June 2009, 08:38
yes you do and I got a ticket to prove this

however I had a good reason for changing the plate and the case was thrown out of courtUh, so you do, or you don't?

One of these people is correct, either the cop, or the judge. You decide.

Steve

bogan
8th June 2009, 09:10

agreed, i had one that was cut down the middle, and put back together with a bit of overlap, ie the middle two letters were closer together. Cop pulled me over and said i had to get a new one (only 12$ though :2thumbsup). Also it says somewhere that you are not even allowed to drill mount holes in it, so decent mods would be out of the question i beleive. You could see if they would make an exception for a personalised plate (pay enough for those things anyway), get a 3 digit one or summat and remove or fold excess white parts

NDORFN
8th June 2009, 11:49
Don't do it. You'll regret it. Give the new government time to filter the nannyness of the state out ie. Highway Patrol briefed to use common-sense and discretion, which WILL happen... they've already been briefed to give less REG, WOF and technical infringement notices to multiple offenders (in other words, if someone is in breach of 3 regulations, they'll get a ticket for 1 and a warning for the other 2), in order to improve thier public image.

Mschvs
8th June 2009, 11:50
Even if you get a personalised plate with say only 3 letters/digits on it, the plate would still be the same size wouldn't it??

NDORFN
8th June 2009, 12:01
Even if you get a personalised plate with say only 3 letters/digits on it, the plate would still be the same size wouldn't it??

YEP.

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters" <<< Anyone else sick of this?

Mschvs
8th June 2009, 12:12
Never came across it actually!! lol:girlfight:

disturbed
8th June 2009, 12:17
yeah, ill make one up for now, wait till i get some new mufflers then have a look at clearance issues because the stock mufflers are huge

Swoop
8th June 2009, 12:22
however I had a good reason for changing the plate and the case was thrown out of court
Would you care to expand further...

Bend-it
8th June 2009, 12:36
YEP.

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters" <<< Anyone else sick of this?

Never came across it actually!! lol:girlfight:

According to research, women use more words than men... maybe that explains it? :girlfight:

bogan
8th June 2009, 17:00

yeh, but there wud be huge white patches at the end, you would probably be more likely to get away with cutting or bending these bits than with a standard plate

popelli
8th June 2009, 17:25
Would you care to expand further...

It was a bullet proof defence that I may wish/need to use in the future, if everybody used this defence the plods would change the law, which is why they threw the case out of court because they knew that they were abouit to lose the case

pm me if you want any further details

Arrowolf
8th June 2009, 17:42
Plates here in NZ are preety small. Have you ever seen a German-one?

We call it Cake tray.:weep:

Owl
8th June 2009, 17:42
yeah, ill make one up for now, wait till i get some new mufflers then have a look at clearance issues because the stock mufflers are huge

Make one out of cardboard first to get it just right and use that as a template.

Oscar
8th June 2009, 17:52
I had a cop threaten to ticket me for bending the plate around the rear fender.

It's an old enduro trick to lessen the chance of slicing summat vital when flipping yer scoot...Mr Plod was not impressed.

popelli
9th June 2009, 17:26
Plates here in NZ are preety small. Have you ever seen a German-one?

We call it Cake tray.:weep:

they were for a short time that size in NZ

Jantar
9th June 2009, 18:49
..."The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters" <<< Anyone else sick of this?

No ........

hayd3n
22nd June 2009, 20:03
i had to bend my plate just so you can see my indicators