PDA

View Full Version : Getting bike from Palmy to Auckland

Elysium
8th June 2009, 20:21
Ok whats the best way to get a bike sent from Palmerston North to Auckland? I haven't seen the weather in the area but I take it its all snow on the desert road so wondering how much to will cost to ship a bike there.

There are companies that ship bikes nationaly right?

cowboyz
8th June 2009, 20:24
biketrans i think they cll themselves about $3-400 to ship the bike up and down the country. Alot cheaper to ride up and bus it home. No need to go desert road. Hit national park or taranaki or if your real keen, the east cape. You sold the 900?

gatch
8th June 2009, 20:29
Ok whats the best way to get a bike sent from Palmerston North to Auckland?

Ride it mate.

Elysium
8th June 2009, 20:33
biketrans i think they cll themselves about $3-400 to ship the bike up and down the country. Alot cheaper to ride up and bus it home. No need to go desert road. Hit national park or taranaki or if your real keen, the east cape. You sold the 900?

The ride up there myself sounds cheaper and safer, its safe through the National park this time of year? Have a guy who's keen but he's not sure of costs to get bike to him, fly down etc.. so I may pass this one if it sounds like he wants me to bear the costs of shipping.

Only good thing I can see out of this is I'll visit Auckland for the first time.....or is that a bad thing?

nallac
8th June 2009, 20:37
It'll be agood day ride..and a chance to visit Auks for the first time..
It'll show ya what your missing....nothing at all...
Nice place to visit but you'll be glad to leave...

cowboyz
8th June 2009, 20:38
nat park is fine to ride through. gets snow but has to be fairly hevy/low to et a decent ammount of snow that side. I would make sure the sale is good before going all the way up there. It is a very easy ride if you go striaght there.

Patch
8th June 2009, 20:40
pay a visit to minefield between 19-21st June, a few dorklanders will be racing there - couple of 'em are easy bribed with lick 'er

Elysium
8th June 2009, 20:46
Well thanks for the advice guys. I'm not going to rush this thing so may end just saying no and just wait for something better to come along. Just curious but who here rides in the snow?

Conquiztador
8th June 2009, 20:50
Ok whats the best way to get a bike sent from Palmerston North to Auckland? I haven't seen the weather in the area but I take it its all snow on the desert road so wondering how much to will cost to ship a bike there.

I have been known to travel to Auckland occasionally with a trailer. Could perhaps be convinced to do a detour to PN if it was worth the effort. How much in a hurry are you? And what is the bike?

glice
8th June 2009, 20:59
google it. motorcycle movers. about 300 to get from welly to auckland, so maby a big less from palmy. and its door to door.

Icemaestro
8th June 2009, 20:59
I have been known to travel to Auckland occasionally with a trailer. Could perhaps be convinced to do a detour to PN if it was worth the effort. How much in a hurry are you? And what is the bike?

Is there any chance I could get you to look at or pick up a cbr down there? I've seen the service papers, rang up the dealership that it was brough from/serviced at, seen pictures...I was considering getting a free(airpoints flight) down there and riding it back...

Elysium
8th June 2009, 21:01

Well I myself aint in a hurry, depends what this guys wants to do. Bike is CB900 Hornet.

To be honest I'm warming up to the idea of riding the bike up, just figuring out in my head the expenes to do it and days perhaps. Might use my experence from the holiday in the South Island.

Conquiztador
8th June 2009, 21:09
Is there any chance I could get you to look at or pick up a cbr down there? I've seen the service papers, rang up the dealership that it was brough from/serviced at, seen pictures...I was considering getting a free(airpoints flight) down there and riding it back...

Well I myself aint in a hurry, depends what this guys wants to do. Bike is CB900 Hornet.

To be honest I'm warming up to the idea of riding the bike up, just figuring out in my head the expenes to do it and days perhaps. Might use my experence from the holiday in the South Island.

Not out of question. I could put both bikes on the trailer and take them up to Auckland. Need to sort out when.

gijoe1313
8th June 2009, 21:15
Whee doggy! Road trip! :woohoo: Yep, just take it for a ride ... cause you know its a good excuse! :msn-wink:

Metalor
8th June 2009, 21:30
Hmmmm... funnily enough I've just bought a bike (haven't paid for it yet though) that's in palmerston north. Was gonna fly down on friday 19th then ride back to auckland. What are the chances of you posting this up on the same night :P

Conquiztador
8th June 2009, 21:34
Hmmmm... funnily enough I've just bought a bike (haven't paid for it yet though) that's in palmerston north. Was gonna fly down on friday 19th then ride back to auckland. What are the chances of you posting this up on the same night :P

OK, sounds like you boys will have a nice mates ride coming up. Lets just hope that it is not the same bike you two have bought of Elysium... ;)

Metalor
8th June 2009, 22:04
Haha, I hope so too! Bought a hornet 250 off a guy named Alastair in Pamly.

cowboyz
8th June 2009, 22:11
nice bike too.

Icemaestro
8th June 2009, 22:13
Haha that would be highly amusing...nah I'm looking at a cbr here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=211458049 (but not that expensive)...what you reckon? the km's are real, talked to the guys at freedom suzuki, it's just had a service and carbs cleaned (freedom said when they saw it it was occ dropping a cylindar, they suspected it was flooding).

My other ones I'm looking at are this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=218118851 (which I'm pretty keen on cause I like the mc22 better, despite the high kms)

or this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=222366749

Feedback?

cowboyz
8th June 2009, 22:23
option 3 looks ok. I am always nervous over 4cyl screamers that have done 500km/yr. but a 250 with 90000k on it would make me just as nervous really.

Icemaestro
8th June 2009, 22:31
Yeah that makes me a little nervous too, but on the other hand it could be really good? the last one is jaymz's bike - Looking over here on kiwibiker he brought it for real cheap so I suspect it had been thrashed a bit/lot...

cowboyz
8th June 2009, 22:35
in saying that, my bike has done 128000km and still goes like a bullet. Bigger lazier (when you want it to be) engine though. I would look at all of them and see what comes up.

CookMySock
9th June 2009, 07:39
To be honest I'm warming up to the idea of riding the bike upJust do it, bro. Head off good and early and stay below the speed limit as long as you are able lol. State Highway 3 through Hawera, Inglewood is all great road, and lots to see on it.

Line up a few KBers on the way just in case you decide to stop and have an over-night break. But I doubt you will stop - way too enjoyable ride to be had. :2thumbsup

Have fun and be careful.

Steve

Chrislost
9th June 2009, 07:52

Find a friendly racer.
round 2 of the winter series is at manfield on the 20th...

Elysium
9th June 2009, 08:28
Just do it, bro. Head off good and early and stay below the speed limit as long as you are able lol. State Highway 3 through Hawera, Inglewood is all great road, and lots to see on it.

Line up a few KBers on the way just in case you decide to stop and have an over-night break. But I doubt you will stop - way too enjoyable ride to be had. :2thumbsup

Have fun and be careful.

Steve

Yeah I've been looking at the west route through SH3 but is SH4 from W(h)anganui ok or does that get snowed in as well? Another thing I worry about is black as I hear its common in winter how do you avoid the stuff on the road if you can't see it?

Anyhow the one thing that looks certain is rain later on in the week for most parts so that may present a problem so I may get a soaking along the way and it would be a pain trying to take a bus home soaking wet lol. And yes I have a rain suit bit like most bike gear claiming to be water proof, they don't work :pinch:

glice
9th June 2009, 15:18
Haha that would be highly amusing...nah I'm looking at a cbr here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=211458049 (but not that expensive)...what you reckon? the km's are real, talked to the guys at freedom suzuki, it's just had a service and carbs cleaned (freedom said when they saw it it was occ dropping a cylindar, they suspected it was flooding).

My other ones I'm looking at are this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=218118851 (which I'm pretty keen on cause I like the mc22 better, despite the high kms)

or this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=222366749

Feedback?

Those are good bikes. I had one with pretty high ks and thrashed the shit out of it, track days, day trips and everything. They are very strong reliable little bikes.

Icemaestro
9th June 2009, 16:30
Those are good bikes. I had one with pretty high ks and thrashed the shit out of it, track days, day trips and everything. They are very strong reliable little bikes.

Would you recommend one of these in particular?

MaxCannon
9th June 2009, 20:47
I bought the Bandit from Palmerston North. Flew down - rode home. Easy peasy so long as you put in a bit of planning.

A couple of tips.
Ask the seller to have everything in order for the change of ownership. The guy I bought my bike from was totally on the ball. Had all paperwork ready to go, had all the service books and reciepts in a folder.
No waiting around for them to search for bits and pieces.

Give yourself plenty of time and make lots of stops. If you aren't used to riding 500km in a day it can be pretty taxing. Plan plenty of rest breaks. I found every 150km worked for me.

Check with the seller how far the bike goes on a tank of fuel. Last thing you want to do is run out gas in the middle of nowhere.

Wear the right gear. I was glad I packed some extra warm kit because it was bloddy cold (this was in September).

ynot slow
9th June 2009, 21:02

Tiki tour to the bay.

glice
9th June 2009, 21:32
Would you recommend one of these in particular?

Its hard to say without actully veiwing the bike in person. Theres bugger all difference inbetween the mc22 and 19 in terms of performance. people will say there is heaps, but chances are you wont notice anything. Go for the one in the best nic. that mc19 looks like a better deal.

Elysium
9th June 2009, 21:52
I bought the Bandit from Palmerston North. Flew down - rode home. Easy peasy so long as you put in a bit of planning.

A couple of tips.
Ask the seller to have everything in order for the change of ownership. The guy I bought my bike from was totally on the ball. Had all paperwork ready to go, had all the service books and reciepts in a folder.
No waiting around for them to search for bits and pieces.

Give yourself plenty of time and make lots of stops. If you aren't used to riding 500km in a day it can be pretty taxing. Plan plenty of rest breaks. I found every 150km worked for me.

Check with the seller how far the bike goes on a tank of fuel. Last thing you want to do is run out gas in the middle of nowhere.

Wear the right gear. I was glad I packed some extra warm kit because it was bloddy cold (this was in September).

Planning makes perfect, but no plan remains intact. :)

Looks certain I'm heading to Auckland this weekend, leave on Friday and might stay the night somewhere close to Auckland and then head there on Sat. While on the subject does anyone know a good palce to stay that is cheap and cosy?
Looks like rain this weekend for most places so I might need a place to dry off as I'm sure my wet weather gear will work:rolleyes:

Now I haven't been on a bus for years so is it a good idea to book a ticket before I go or should I wait till I get to Auckland incase I'm late?

Icemaestro
9th June 2009, 22:54
Its hard to say without actully veiwing the bike in person. Theres bugger all difference inbetween the mc22 and 19 in terms of performance. people will say there is heaps, but chances are you wont notice anything. Go for the one in the best nic. that mc19 looks like a better deal.

Which one, the one in palmy or the one in aucks?

ynot slow
10th June 2009, 09:27
Planning makes perfect, but no plan remains intact. :)

Looks certain I'm heading to Auckland this weekend, leave on Friday and might stay the night somewhere close to Auckland and then head there on Sat. While on the subject does anyone know a good palce to stay that is cheap and cosy?
Looks like rain this weekend for most places so I might need a place to dry off as I'm sure my wet weather gear will work:rolleyes:

Now I haven't been on a bus for years so is it a good idea to book a ticket before I go or should I wait till I get to Auckland incase I'm late?

Suss out wotif.co.nz we stayed at a back packer/hostel on Anzac Pde last time,close to vector arena and brittomart.Scary thing was reading gay friendly.conjured up a sort of fawlty towers place.Good value though.

And try the overlander train,at the moment have $49 specials one way if you can grab them,better than bus maybe.Think standard fare is $79 or so,can book online www.transcenic.co.nz off hand.

Elysium
10th June 2009, 17:59
Suss out wotif.co.nz we stayed at a back packer/hostel on Anzac Pde last time,close to vector arena and brittomart.Scary thing was reading gay friendly.conjured up a sort of fawlty towers place.Good value though.

And try the overlander train,at the moment have $49 specials one way if you can grab them,better than bus maybe.Think standard fare is $79 or so,can book online www.transcenic.co.nz off hand.

I have an AA accommodation book on me so I'l find a cheap place to stay. I just want to get close to Auckland as I can and then head there on Sat morning to sort bike out.

Icemaestro
10th June 2009, 18:48
in saying that, my bike has done 128000km and still goes like a bullet. Bigger lazier (when you want it to be) engine though. I would look at all of them and see what comes up.

Had a go of the mc22 with 91000km today....ran great - bit of a flat spot around 6k revs, probably due to the aftermarket muffler (Grr..hate more noise). there's a graze on the right engine casing and said muffler, and bit of stuff on the forks - may need new seals? but otherwise great - new tires, sprockets look near new, no tight spots on the chain...he won't seem to budge below 3000 for it though...

Elysium
10th June 2009, 20:02
Maybe some Aucklanders can answer me this but roughly how long does it take to get from Panmure to Sky City Coach terminal on a Saturday morning?

Metalor
10th June 2009, 20:09
hmmm.... depends, if you're bussing i'd give myself an hour just to make sure you didn't miss the bus. If you're driving, about 20 mins.

Probably a better Idea to catch the bus from the manukau stop, as I'm sure it'll go through there. Both times I've had to bus on the intercity they have. It'll give you a bit more time to get there in the morning.

glice
10th June 2009, 21:40
Which one, the one in palmy or the one in aucks?

One of them has already finished, so the 19 which is still for sale.

Just test afew. and go from there.

Elysium
11th June 2009, 14:22
Well looks like things are comming together so now I have a time and place to meet as well as a trip home booked. Looks like the weather is going to turn to shit Fri and Sat so now my last task is to find cheap accomodation in the Manakau area close to Panmure. Anyone know a good place in the Manakau area?

SlowHand
11th June 2009, 15:22
I flew down to welly to pick up my bike in june couple years ago. Came through national park because dessert road had a caution sign out. Apart from coming around a corner and mistaking a wet patch for black ice, good times. Seeing the mountains covered in snow while on a bike is a nice experience. The temp difference was quite a bit, so take some clothes to put on then chuck in a bag.

Have fun!

ps. full moon, lil bit more than 100kmh on speedo, and your mirror showing the moon light bounce off the snow on mountain is just.. wicked!

White trash
11th June 2009, 15:54
We'll be in P/North next weekend and may have room to bring it back in the truck if you get stuck.

Cost a shitload of beer though.

Just an idea

Elysium
11th June 2009, 16:13
Ok I've decided at this point to stay at the Kiwi International backpackers on Queen St as it looks a simple and quick route from there to Panmure to meet this guy. Price is good too as well as laundry facilities as I know I'm bound to arrive wet.

nallac
11th June 2009, 18:45
mate why didn't you put up a post and ask if you could crash at someones house?. Beers a universal payment...
You could stay at my place, but unfortunately its about 70 k's to far north...

Elysium
11th June 2009, 19:14
mate why didn't you put up a post and ask if you could crash at someones house?. Beers a universal payment...
You could stay at my place, but unfortunately its about 70 k's to far north...

Yeah well no one has put their hand up yet and a bit late to be asking now anyway :)

Metalor
12th June 2009, 13:29
What day are you coming up? I've got a couch available, depending on what day (i'm moving house this weekend) you're welcome to use it for sleeping apparatus.

Elysium
12th June 2009, 15:23
Thanks for the offer but I'm already in Auckland and what a fucking nightmare of a roading system! And hard to find the street names as well and still got lost even with directions. :mad:

I'm staying at that Kiwi international place for $44 so it's not bad, plus a net cafe right next door (where I'm right now) Anyway I have to get a newspaper or two to dry out my boots and put the rest of my clothes in the drier.

Tomorow I head off to Sunset view in Panmure to meet this guy and hopefully no problems with the sale, hope he don't mind the mud I got on the bike from the many road works I encountered. I hope the Google Maps direction are right this time.

Metalor
12th June 2009, 16:42
All good mate, glad you got here in one piece. Maybe best you didn't stay here then as our drier is currently out of action. Although, we could have sparked the fire up :D

Elysium
13th June 2009, 19:03
Well mission accomplished. Got back from Auckland no less then 30 mins ago. Man I love double deckers buses, the amount of people suddenly looking up at me as we rode passed me me laugh when it was drivers in 4WDs.

Now that I have sold my bike, I an now focus on looking for a replacement.

Metalor
13th June 2009, 20:37
Good on ya! How was the ride up?

Elysium
13th June 2009, 20:54
Good on ya! How was the ride up?

Pissing down with rain all the way. Parts of SH4 near Hamilton need new seal as my rear slide out slightly on some shinny stuff.
One thing I noticed on the way back was a road development happening (its before you get to Bulls and you slow down to cross rail, there is a pub on the right and further down you come across that huge steel rail bridge on your right. Anyone know the area I'm talking about?) where a long stretch of road is being straightened out.

Meanie
13th June 2009, 21:13
Pissing down with rain all the way. Parts of SH4 near Hamilton need new seal as my rear slide out slightly on some shinny stuff.
One thing I noticed on the way back was a road development happening (its before you get to Bulls and you slow down to cross rail, there is a pub on the right and further down you come across that huge steel rail bridge on your right. Anyone know the area I'm talking about?) where a long stretch of road is being straightened out.

I think your talking about that stretch just before Ohinaiti they been doing that for a while now

robboh
13th June 2009, 23:56
Good to hear you made it safe.

Desert Road is fine as long as there arent snow warnings, and you time it for midday to early afternoon.

Ive done it a few times from PMR to AKL (and back again) on TZR250 and KR1250SP. Long trips if you arent used to it, but then I used to drive up and down once a month when I first moved up here.

AKL to Ngarawhaia, to Te Awamutu, to KehiKehi, to Mangakino, Western Access around Taupo to Taurangi, to PMR via Bulls is my preferred cage route for PMR.

From memory, I did the Western Access route a couple of times on the bike, and mostly straight up SH1 (and then via Matamata).

Not so sure about a bike these days down the Western Access route. The roads around Mangakino dam are just stunning, but its getting bumpier and bumpier as time goes on, so not sure if it would be a fun trip on a bike or not nowadays. Plus, it gets really frosty up over that route at night in winter.

Actually, worst front-end slide Ive ever had on the road was on a trip home from AKL, just north of Tihape one day in the wet (Desert Road was a gale where I ended up hanging off the side of the bike all the way down the straights to keep it upright). Going around a left, and just before apex the front just went, and kept going until it hooked up on some rougher chip right beside the white line. Scary. :(

To be honest, I would have told the guy to fly down and ride it home himself, the onus is on the buyer here IMHO, not the seller. Hope you built in some time / traveling / accomm expenses etc into your sale price.