PDA

View Full Version : Do The Ton Cafe Racer Website/Forum

Spyke
9th June 2009, 10:47
While searching for ideas on rearsets for my build I striked upon this good find yesterday for anyone that has a inkling for anything cafe.

http://dotheton.com/index.php

Heaps of good info for anyone Building or riding a cafe. People are kind to help and show what they've done in the same situation and have some awsome ideas to help out, kinda just like on here. :banana:

Have a gaz, for the guys/girls that have or want to cafeafy their bike it seems like a good place to find some like minded people to help/inspire.

Heaps of variety in the bikes there, from the euros to the japs, new and old!

Luckily enough I was the 3000th member to join, woot woot and have scored a cool patch to show I'm a member! :beer:

Oh and a pretty good site layout thats simple and easy to use.

-spyke

nudemetalz
9th June 2009, 15:23
Cool website :niceone:

Thanks for that, have signed up.

Eurodave
9th June 2009, 16:59
Yeah, Im been a member of that website for a while now & yes it is cool :banana:

Bonez
9th June 2009, 18:46
Some good stuff there alright. The username Bonez wasn't taken thank goodness. Love the banner.

phantom
9th June 2009, 19:13
Some good stuff there alright. The username Bonez wasn't taken thank goodness. Love the banner.

Yeah looks a bit "Honda'ish" eh ?

hospitalfood
9th June 2009, 19:16
my next project idea is a R series bwm cafe racer, bought my R100RT to do it but it is to mint to doctor, so waiting to get another.

Spyke
9th June 2009, 19:18
I was talking to the guy who set it up and its been around for two and half years and its growing well.

He also says that it doesn't have the problem with people bitching at each other like alot of other sites apparently. I thought after I read that should I have put a thread bout it in kb lol.

Bonez
9th June 2009, 19:25
Yeah looks a bit "Honda'ish" eh ?Very. In fact I have one of those ;). With Gerble being dead at the moment the 550F just may well be put back in service for a bit.

phantom
9th June 2009, 19:29
Aah but you have a lot of bikes to choose from and some of us only have one ( and then its a Kawazaki ):dodge:

Eurodave
9th June 2009, 22:48
my next project idea is a R series bwm cafe racer, bought my R100RT to do it but it is to mint to doctor, so waiting to get another.

If you need some figlass & alloy cafe racer parts ie solo seat, fairings, rearsets etc lemme know
Ive rebuilt quite a few Beemers in the past......

Spyke
10th June 2009, 17:57
If you need some figlass & alloy cafe racer parts ie solo seat, fairings, rearsets etc lemme know

Did you do the single seats out of fibreglas or alloy? are yours especially designed for you bmw? could the desing be customised? I'm considering making one for mine and Have to make rearsets for mine aswell. Did you customise some reasets or build your own?

Voltaire
10th June 2009, 18:05

nice collection you have there. I'm in the process of putting together a cafe R90, with a norvill fairing and ducati single seat.
looking for a set of 36, 38 or 40 mm Dells.
I know what you mean about ' too nice to hack up" I got a R50/5 for my project but its too original to do so I'm doing mine from a pile of bits I got on TM and Swap Meets.

Eurodave
10th June 2009, 19:40
Did you do the single seats out of fibreglas or alloy? are yours especially designed for you bmw? could the desing be customised? I'm considering making one for mine and Have to make rearsets for mine aswell. Did you customise some reasets or build your own?

All my solo & dual seats are figlass & Ive designed them to fit specific bikes
I can customise most of them to your specs
My rearset kits are based on Laverda Jota cast alloy items that Ive modded to fit various other bikes

Eurodave
10th June 2009, 19:55
I'm in the process of putting together a cafe R90, with a norvill fairing and ducati single seat.

Youll find,as I did ,that a 900SS seat is WAY too narrow etc
This is where I started with my Beemer cafe solo seats, I had to considerably widen,lengthen & deepen the original Duke seat to form my seat range
Another thing you may need is a suitably cut down rear mudguard ,like my figlass one in the pix.......

Voltaire
10th June 2009, 19:59
Youll find,as I did ,that a 900SS seat is WAY too narrow etc
This is where I started with my Beemer cafe solo seats, I had to considerably widen,lengthen & deepen the original Duke seat to form my seat range.....

yes, its too narrow...but its a good starting point and I'll half it and widen it to suit. I was looking at an R100 seat base as a start but this came up.
More quality garage time:woohoo:
Your seats look very nice.

hospitalfood
10th June 2009, 20:04

thanks eurodave.
seen one with a ducati monster seat and I will try to get one as i loved the look of it. it pretty much cancels out the rear fairing.
rearsets could be an issue for me.
I will keep it in mind anyway, at present i cannot get another bike unless i sell one i have and i dont want to sell either of my bikes.
when i get another bmw will be in touch.
what model of r series bmw do you think is best as a base ??

Eurodave
10th June 2009, 20:11
yes, its too narrow...but its a good starting point and I'll half it and widen it to suit. I was looking at an R100 seat base as a start but this came up.
More quality garage time:woohoo:
Your seats look very nice.

Good luck with that, youre in for a lot of work & thanx for the compliment :)

Eurodave
10th June 2009, 20:14
what model of r series bmw do you think is best as a base ??

Id go for a naked base model like an R80 etc ie not an RS or RT,due to heavy fork springs,handlebar/cable length issues etc

Spyke
11th June 2009, 07:32
Your work looks bloody hot!

I don't think its worth putting that nice kit on a suzuki gt50 (50cc), I'll def look your way when I do another bike next year thats bigger and more suitable.

cheers
spyke

Paulo
11th June 2009, 12:36
Yep it s a great resource, been on there for a while , and lots of Honda cb750 and 550 info, I just picked up an xs650 so will have another project (gulp) Might have a chat to Eurodave about some bits. His work looks good :)

Paulo
11th June 2009, 13:44

Hey hospital food, If you want some inspiration I'd recommend joining Perth street Bikes forum (a west aussie version of KB) they have a thread on Cafe racers which has over 1000 posts of some of the best cafes and bobbers to be found on the net, probably about 2000 plus damm good pictures on there. Loads of bmw, honda, guzzi cafes and loads of the original brit versions. Lots of eye candy, I got some good inspiration for my CB750 project.

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f14/cafe-racers-thread-44173/11

HenryDorsetCase
11th June 2009, 13:47
(a west aussie version of KB)

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f14/cafe-racers-thread-44173/11

the mind boggles!

HenryDorsetCase
11th June 2009, 13:50
All my solo & dual seats are figlass & Ive designed them to fit specific bikes
I can customise most of them to your specs
My rearset kits are based on Laverda Jota cast alloy items that Ive modded to fit various other bikes

tick and tick. (as in I need both of those items.

When I finally get organised, I will be off to see Eurodave.