PDA

View Full Version : How long you been riding?

moko
12th November 2002, 07:55
I`ve been riding since 1977,never had a car nor wanted one.Had all kinds of bikes,big and small.How much experience on bikes do you guys have?

Nukles
12th November 2002, 15:26
i started riding at 5 years old a 50cc honda trail bike, rebuilt my first motor the summer i turned 9. my dad thought it was time for me know how it all worked.

been riding ever since.

had my first road bike at 16 and it was a CBR600 Hurricane.

now i'm 26 and ride the bike of my dreams.

i have been racing carts since 12 years old and then raced cars in club racing and was very much into cars until i moved to NZ and now the car scene is way too lame here i found myself totally bored of cars within a year and a half.

now my girl has a car and i have my bikes.

SpankMe
12th November 2002, 15:54
<p>I have been riding for about 15 years. I am on my seventh bike and am extremly happy with the SV650s.</p><p>I am proud to say...</p><blockquote> <p><i><b><span style="letter-spacing: 2pt"><font size="4" face="Century Schoolbook" color="#FF5846">I have never driven a car in my life...</font></span></b></i></p> <blockquote> <blockquote> <blockquote> <blockquote> <blockquote> <blockquote> <p><span style="letter-spacing: 5"><i><b><font size="5" face="Century Schoolbook" color="#FF5846">and I never will!</font></b></i></span></p> </blockquote> </blockquote> </blockquote> </blockquote> </blockquote> </blockquote></blockquote><p>Cage drivers are Chicken Shit Conformists like their parents.</p>

mr womble
12th November 2002, 16:24
hi spank me
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cage drivers are chickenshit conformists like their parents.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
i would never consider myself or my parents chicken shits or conformist
my dad was a biker & only drove a cage while he was in the army
& after his heart attack
chicken shit most deffo not he is now in his 70's & still wont back down from anyone.
my mum has never driven in her life & is still holding her own.

me i drive as well as ride why
I own a mindbus
1: i have 6 kids
2: we are dog breeders & use the van for transporting the dogs to shows
3: I am disabled & can not walk much more than a hundred yards & that is with a stick
4: im a rock DJ & need the van to move my amps speakers & the like around.

is that enough reason for me driving a cage for you.

as to the chicken shit bit
since my accident i have been pulled out of several scraps because i wont take no shit from no one

answers on a post card please lol
:brick:

Coldkiwi
12th November 2002, 17:14
well, it looks like there's all sorts on here. I'm fairly average.. started driving at 16, got the bike licence when I was 19 after two years of being driven mad on a bus in Auckland traffic. On to the second bike now, a ZXR 250 and loving it! The first one, a GPX250 met a sticky end on the open road... I was lucky not to follow. Still harbouring dreams of an Aprilia Falco though, I don't think the girlfriend would appreciate long distance drags on the Mille.
As for the heated debate that has erupted like pus from a wound on feral dogs backside.... Cars are called cages for a reason, I can't argue they don't protect better than a bike. But that said, I have got myself out of some messy situations ONLY because I had a small, agile bike with decent brakes, mojo and rubber!

But I'll never give it up because it's too much bloody fun! (I get my fill of grinfactor everyday passing Porsches, GTR Skylines and the odd Aston Martin stuck in the traffic!)

right.. nuff said
:done:

Blackbird
12th November 2002, 18:43
Got my first bike when I was at school in 1964 (a Suzuki 50, blush!) Had a range of oil-leaking British hardware. Did a bit of successful drag bike racing in the UK and then moved to NZ in 1975. Got back into bikes in '87 and haven't been without one since.

Did my first ever runner from You Know Who last year and never want to repeat it. Despite this example of a complete lack of maturity, I guess I must be the site oldie at 55!!!

:calm:

Stormer
12th November 2002, 19:18
Been riding for about 20 years. Started with an old DT125, then a `73 RD350 (with chambers, port job, drop bars, Koni shocks, no power below 7000 rpm), RD400, XR500, XT500 (silver & black tank), GSXR400, and now the VTR.
Have to say though, having a young family kinda makes having a car in the garage a necessity. Although quite often , I`ll go out for a "short" ride!!

Ride safe,
Stormer

BlackJet
13th November 2002, 01:48
Hey Blackbird, you're so bloody old you'd better call over to BikeZone and say hello. Wari will give you directions....he's been begging me to ask the Welsh Rugby team to take it easy on you lot! :D
This is what the founders of the Board look like.... :bash:

L-R Fastfitter, Renegade, Hamayar, BlackJet.

wari
13th November 2002, 02:04
About fastfitters haicut :D

Hamayar
13th November 2002, 02:16
Hiya guys,

Thought I would push your membership figure up to 70 :)

I'm another West Wales dripping wet biker from Bikezone.org

I been riding about 31 years same as BJ but I'm younger than that old git..;) (about 5 days LOL )

Started with a £5 bargain, a 1957 D3 BSA Bantam. latest is a 2 year old Honda ST1100

Lost count of how many in between though, but I ride all weather except snow, (except to get home that is)

I dont hold a car licence so two wheels only,
cars got too many wheels they'll never catch on ;)

Dont know what kind of bikers you got there but most
sports bike round here must be "solar -powered"

Cos I havent seen one of em since the sun went in :D

We met Wari already on our board, he likes the atmosphere
and if this is similar, you all like a laugh and take the piss a bit
I'm sure I'll like it here :cool:

festus
13th November 2002, 16:51
Got by motorcycle licence at 15, pretty much ridden bikes since, give or take the odd couple of years for getting married and having kids!.
36 now so that makes for about 21 years.......shit I'm an old bastard!!

Notiable bikes I've owned were the hardy old CB400N, RZ500 CBR600F & present mount TL1000S.

Safe riding everone!.
Festus

SPman
13th November 2002, 18:44
Got my licence at 17 so that makes it.....mumble mumble.......37 years! Started on a Silver Pigeon scooter, (who's heard of them, then!) then on to real bikes like a 100cc Yamaha twin, 250 Suzuki. Kawasaki triples etc B4 I discovered Ducati's. Tried a 450 Desmo (Nice handling, crap electrics),,even had a 750SS for a short time (sob),and put a lot of miles on one of the first 750 GT's in the country. Then kids - bikes had to go - for too bloody long! Got an AX100 in a trade for a poked car and the bug was back. Better still when the marriage went....and the Kids!
Seeems to have been Yamaha 750's of one kind or another, ever since, for some reason....

Will Beard
14th November 2002, 20:28
Always wanted a motorcycle ,pushbiking to high school 8km each way. I swore one day the first job i got my first purchase was a bike. :D As a kid spent alot of time with my best friends fathers ag bike ,Hope he's not reading this.

first bike suzuki gt50 5 speed followed by;
1978 suzuki gt550 ramair triple 2 stroke, suzuki yoshimura gsx750, suzuki pe250, honda cx500, yamaha xs1100, yamaha xz400, yamaha xs1100rh, 2 x honda cb360, 2 x cb350,suzuki rm50 for the youngest son,yamaha tt250g for the eldest son,
honda gl (cx) 400, may have missed a few , latest honda cbr1000.

riding since 10-15 years old, legal on road 25years age 40

still miss my old gsx750 , tom peck marketing manager from suzuki nz. was then the cheif mechanic for joe lett suzuki.
he had the bike for 5 weeks with a total top to bottom yoshi rebuild . cost $4500 in 1982. the value of the bike.
it was awsome, would be great for pre 82 racing now.

duke
16th November 2002, 12:46
My first ride was on a Lambretta Li150 scooter in 1973. I then graduated to a BSA Bantam, Royal Enfield all before I was old enough to ride on the road. First road bike was a Flandria 50, then Suzuki 50, then MZ150, the Suzuki 500, Triumph 500. Then on to the track. Anyone guess the what and where for this photo?

zxr
17th November 2002, 09:23
Well I've only been riding for a year, I still have my first bike, "touch wood", and really enjoy it.
The only reason I got into bikes was because of the guys I work with and my crazy flatmate.

Gixxer
3rd December 2002, 11:22
Ha ZXR your crazy flat mate isn't supa dave is it?

been riding road since i was 15. GN 250, jawa, xr 250, zxr 250, cbr 600 and the trusty gixxer 750.

:bash:

Skunk
3rd December 2002, 12:48
I started riding about seven years ago when my girlfriend got me into it. She didn't like pillion who cramp her style. :D

First bike ZXR250, then a ZXR400, ZX6R and now ZRX1100 and DR250.

Pickle
4th December 2002, 21:53
Since I was about 12 years old on mates farm bikes which seems like a bloody long time ago.

750Y
18th November 2003, 10:42
Age 7 50's BSA Bantam, 70's kawasaki ?175 trailbike, 70's honda cb?90 stepthrough farmbike,80's suzuki TS125, 87 Honda VT250,98 kawasaki zx6r, 99 yamaha R6, 86 suzuki gsxr750,2000 gsxr750, 91 gsxr400. had 20 odd cars too. i don't care much about the whole cage vs bike thing, it's not that precious to me.

Motu
18th November 2003, 11:30
I started riding in 1970 on a BSA Bantam,which makes 33 years eh.Done just about everything on a bike - done the head down arse up,feet forward hands up,put on a 3rd wheel for extra fun,where the seal ends is my home.

Very early in the piece I started to set my road bikes up as dirt bikes - dirt bars,knobs etc,this was for gravel roads and going into places we weren't really supposed to go.I had a Rickman Metise as my road bike for many years,and these days my road bikes are an XLV 750 and an XT400.These days it's trendy and big money,but the back roads are where I prefer to ride.

PZR
18th November 2003, 11:32
Got my licience at 15 on my mates 350S2A and had no idea back then how quick they were for their day. Rode and owned various bikes for a few years and switched to V8's then 4WD then family cars, then got back into bikes (22 years later) two years ago so I'm a Born Again (Praise the Bike Lord and Pass Me My Helmet) Hellaluya!!!!!
Just love it and cannot get enough, so much that Im doing this at work in work time. Obsessed I hear you say. Damn Right and loving it. Gotta have some fun in life
Love being able to overtake the traffic at will but I will always have a 4 wheel machine of some sort as I enjoy them as well

boris
18th November 2003, 12:08
1st bike was a deltex rock hopper age of 8 year old,i have three older bros.then&nbsp;i had 1952 bsa bantam 125,1947 bsa b31 350, suziki pe175t&nbsp;,kawa kdx250,yamaha rz250z,rd250 ,cbx550,gsx550,honda gb500,honda cb650 cop bike ,xr200r, sv650s.

the best bike was my Honda GB500,worst was the gsx550.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

I commuted&nbsp;50+km to work each morning,then 60+km home each nite.starting&nbsp; with the rz250z good piecock hill road bike,&nbsp;&nbsp;

25 years if you count the deltex rock hopper.

What?
18th November 2003, 12:25
I started on a farm bike (Yam) at about 8 years old, which must have been about 1970. Started road riding a few years later and got my license a while after that. I'm nog good at maths, so you'll have to figure the numbers out.:D

merv
18th November 2003, 12:26
I've been riding for 34 years. Got my licence using my bro's Zundapp 50cc moped. Moved on into dirt bikes riding trials, Scott trials and scrambles (as it was known before MX) while still at school. Went to Uni and didn't do much competition then except for a few outings, but did a lot of trail riding in the South Island. Bought my first car 30 years ago and treated the bikes as toys from then on as they never met my needs for commuting having to wear the gear etc and really I saw that such riding was really wearing the bikes out unneccessarily knobbly tyres and all. I treated my cars a bit like my bikes and loved going bush in them. Ive since got a 4x4 and find most people think that you need a 4x4 to go places where we went in our cars back in the 70's. After I finished Uni I did enduro competition for a few years to give that a try (it didn't exist before I went to Uni) and then after the 84 season let my competition licence lapse. Have done non-competitve trail and adventure rides since and bought the road bike in 1994 to add that to my fun. I have kept riding all through the years but I only do it when I want to as I have too many other things to do including 4x4 stuff. My road and adventure ride photos are on my website http://bikemerv.topcities.com but after changing hosts I never got round to loading the trail and other stuff back up.

Motoracer
18th November 2003, 12:41
Been riding since I was 12 so thats 7 years total with some gap in the middle where I had my boy racer years.

GPz
18th November 2003, 12:50
started riding by 'borrowing the old man's commuter when i was 10. Then on to a CZ175 at 15, over 20 years ago. Then the following in chronological order

IT250H

YZ125K

2 x KH400 S3

XL250

another IT250H

GB400

and presently 1984 GPz1100-A2

and ZX12R-A1

&nbsp;

although a think i might have forgotten a few in between.

&nbsp;

riffer
18th November 2003, 13:07
I was born in 1967, which makes me nearly 37.

My brother and I built a minibike from an old ride on lawnmower engine back in 1979 when I was twelve. I hope that counts.

From then it was dad's Vespa's when I was 14, then a GP125 when I was 16.

A brief&nbsp;bout of craziness at 17 with an IT400 trail bike with a worn out clutch which did great wheelies.

Followed that at 18 with a Honda CB350 twin with the handlebars turned upside down so they looked like clip-ons (did anyone else do stupid things like that, or was it just me?)

That bike lasted me for two years and then it was a fully rebuilt KZ400 rescued from a shed with only 7,000kms on the clock. My dad's friend was a tutor of motorcycle mechanics at Hutt Polytechnic and as a project they completely restored the bike back to original nick including polishing the motor :2thumbsup

I'm sorry to say that at 22 I met my ex who completely banned ownership of bikes. So I was limited to riding OP's - this went on for twelve years until the inevitable split (don't ask me to get into that!)

Anyway, I'mn now happily married, she loves motorbikes and encouraged me to get one when we bought the new place in Upper Hutt (all her family either ride bikes, drive v8's or both) and I've been the happy owner of my FZR750 for four whole weeks now!

So I guess thats nearly 25 years!

My two boys (3 &amp; 4) are now bugging me for their first bikes!

duckman
18th November 2003, 13:57
Bin riding for ....er.....about 10 years

First bike was a VT250 (limited edition - Twin disks) very cool
bought a Honda CMX250 - Cruisy fun
Yamaha FZR250 - Nice but too quiet
Honda VFR400 - Ex courier bike (oh ma god)
Honda RS125 - Spot of GP racing

and my current pride and joy.......

2000 Ducati 750 SS ....oh the sound of happiness :2thumbsup

matthewt
18th November 2003, 14:27
Been riding since I was 15 (with 4 years off while on my OE). Used to be a car freak until I rode a er100 (suzuki 2 stroke dirt bike) in the car park of the supermarket where I worked after school. Then my plans went from holden to honda ;)

gt185
rg250
vfr400
fzr400sp
cbr900
mv agusta f4

Lou Girardin
18th November 2003, 14:32
Car licence at 15, bike licence at 16. 36years driving/riding. 1st bike was a '57 Triumph T/Bird. Then T250, T500, various MOT bikes, XJ750, GPZ750, KL250, KL650. Then a break till last year when I bought the RF.
Always been a faster car driver than bike rider, but who can drive fast around Auck these days? Bikes rule!
Lou

DeanOh
18th November 2003, 15:46
Got my bike license when I was about 17 i think. You older guys can prob relate to this, I rode my srx250 up to the cop shop to sit my license. The copper poked his head out of the window to watch me ride to the end of the street and back, that was how i sat and passed my license.
Had a Honda 400 something, then a Ducati SD900 for a while til it died on the north western motorway. i had a breif marriage to a Sportster until i got married and then it was cages for the next 15 years or so. until now. I was able to convince the newest ball and chain that a bike was a necessity for travel into Wellington, and she bought it, I am lovin being back in the saddle.
Now, just gotta convince her indoors that Ducati are safer and cheaper in the long run than SuZuki....:D

Car Dodger
18th November 2003, 16:22
Too long & not long enough

17 years, bro

Which converts to 34 Auckland traffic years.:p

Drunken Monkey
18th November 2003, 18:00
I'm with 750Y on this one...don't mind if it's got 2, 4 or 18 wheels :whocares: , as long as it moves by burning dead dinosaurs and makes a lot of noise.

5 years and _Nothing_ but GSX-R750's (86, 88, 00) :rockon: (or nothin' but 2L turbos for cages...)

Lee Rusty
18th November 2003, 18:05
38 year riding legally - couple before that - dont own a car but have have on various occasions -never for very long tho.

Advice to Spank me - NEVER SAY NEVER - no one knows what the future holds.

jeff
18th November 2003, 18:06
&nbsp;34&nbsp;years,non stop,7 days a week most of the time

getting close to 500.000 k's&nbsp;+ off road riding

norton commando 110.00k's&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; DR500 102.00k's

don't hold a car license - 5 bikes in the bike shed

all with rego and wof&nbsp;

130wide
18th November 2003, 19:08
Got both licences at 15 yo when they only cost $5 each, had 2-3 years off riding, after bike accident. Owned bikes for round 15 years.
"GPz" you forgot the DR250's we use to have.

RD50
DR250 '84
GPz550 '81
GPz600R '86 "crashed"
ZX10 '89
ZL1000 '90
GPz750 '85
RZ350 '84
GPz750 Turbo '84
ZXR400 '90
KDX200 '90

soundbeltfarm
18th November 2003, 19:21
riding road for 3 yrs now started with rgv 250 now onto a gsxr 750
riding dirt bikes since i was 12
just gt my full license 4 weeks ago so am stoked to be legal now
but i dont really speed just love being out there on 2 wheels
and soaking it all in
cheers

digsaw
18th November 2003, 19:33
:whocares: started riding in 1956 on 1949 250 jawa:gob: won first race in 1957 on the grass,still riding,still winning,and still having fun,cbr400r as road bike and racing 1939 bsa 350 sliver star:2thumbsup 62 year old kid:Oops:

MikeL
18th November 2003, 21:07
I think I probably hold the record for the longest period of being licensed to ride and the shortest period of actual riding. Got my bike license in 1967 (proved I was competent by riding once round a city block without falling off, watched from a distance by a very bored MOT testing officer). Rode a little 50cc Miyapet (anyone else actually heard of that ?) as a student for one year before buying a car. Didn't get on a bike again until October last year, and now desperately making up for lost time. Onto my 3rd bike (RGV150, Honda 400, Suzuki 1200), just on 30,000 km in a year, so at this rate I'll have caught up with the rest of you guys in another 6 or 7 years. :2thumbsup

Goddess of Goof
18th November 2003, 23:01
- NEVER SAY NEVER - no one knows what the future holds.

I was about 9yrs when my brothers started riding MX but we called it scrambling then. I was shown how, then discovered it for myself. I rode whatever my brothers did, went to all the races, brain got imprinted onto men in leathers. Rode road bikes, had a little Suzuki&nbsp;I took&nbsp;to teachers college for&nbsp;3 years - absolutely loved it. Christchurch in the 60's was mods/rockers hahahaha I had long fair hair blowing around beneath my cute little open face white helmet. I had a purple miniskirt and white boots. Oh joy. Then I came up to Auckland, met my doom, married a bloke who hated bikes, deleted it all ......no bikes and I thought I'll never ride again.....3 kids ......no bikes .....never again.:(&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Some time later,&nbsp; Aha, divorce, money, freedom, got a 250 FZR and back on the road again. Oh heavenly freedom, then got a Suzuki RF 400 but I've never felt at home on it. When I get a round tuit, I'll be looking for the next bike to grace my garage.&nbsp; Never too old. Never too late.

But why be so one-dimensional about bikes vs cars? Myself I think its important to be flexible and practical in life - turn your hand to what-ever is necessary.&nbsp;

Cars are neat, but&nbsp;my favourite vehicles are hippy vans covered in flowers with peeling stickers that say "don't bother knock'n if the van's a'&nbsp;rockin" and old howlers like that.

And I like trikes. Reckon I'll get one when I give up dying my hair.......:cool:

Antallica
19th November 2003, 06:46
I've been riding for not long enough :angry2:

Eddieb
19th November 2003, 09:56
About 12 years legally I guess. Now aged 31.

Various bikes including GSXR250, RGV250, GSXR400, RG400, K75, K100RS, R80G/S & GT550 courier bike among others.

Now the proud owner of a 1993 Ducati 888 & 1972 Ducati Mach III 250.

aff-man
19th November 2003, 10:04
almost &nbsp;two years gonna get full on bike soon and still have a learner in a car. Driving a car scares the shit out of me so i think i'll stick to bikes:niceone:

Antallica
19th November 2003, 10:23
Originally posted by aff-man
almost &nbsp;two years gonna get full on bike soon and still have a learner in a car. Driving a car scares the shit out of me so i think i'll stick to bikes:niceone:

Right on brotha! :rockon:

bgd
19th November 2003, 10:43
Late arrival to this game. Took up biking 2 years ago when the commuting got too bad. The 3 hour + trip into work was getting more and more frequent. Sat in traffic watching bikes zip past was the catalyst. Journey now takes 45mins regardless of traffic, petrol is a third of the cost and parking's free. Started with a 650GS and now have the 1150GS.

babyB
19th November 2003, 11:37
was gona bye a bike at 15yrs but my parents brought me a mini then made me pay 4 it (there went the bike prospect) i started riding at 18yrs on an old ('73?) yamaha XT500 remembering not being able to pick it up when i fell off oh the joysof it. later the farm bike. my late husband was bike mad &amp; we did alot of turing. at the end of 2000 i had to learn to walk again and brought the bandit 600s in march 2001. mostly as incentive. i steared at it&nbsp;for 3 weeks before it got the better of me &amp; finaly relearnt how to ride, so i say i been riding 2yr7mths. &amp; lovin every minute of it thanks to my brothers encouragement/support&nbsp; i brought the CBR400 racer in jan 2002. so at 34yrs&nbsp;with &nbsp;2 kids anything is possible. just wish i could ride more (lol any1 wanna babysit)

aff-man
19th November 2003, 11:48
Well the way i got into biking was that i knew CK before he started and so when he bought one i knew it was something i had to do. Of course my parents threatened CK that if i ever bought a bike they would slaughter him for being a bad influence but as you might have noticed he is still around so everthing worked out ok. But now my little brother is thinking of getting into it ..............:Oops:

georgedubyabush
19th November 2003, 12:43
About 12 yrs ago, XL100 then a succession of crap farm bikes. All seem to have been Hondas. Last summer got a zxr250 after my car was wrecked and my Boy Racer tendencies instantly dissolved. What's the point&nbsp;of fast car? A bike, even a 250, is better in almost every respect as far as I'm concerned. My next car will be a practical economical one (no more turbo skylines for me), with a fast bike for fun.

Slim
19th November 2003, 12:58
I learnt how to ride a couple of months before my 18th birthday, and didn't get my bike licence until I was about 20.

So I've been riding for close to 14 years, with 2.5 years off in the middle when I had to sell my bike for monetary & storage reasons. I've had my current bike for 5 years & loving it. :D

jrandom
19th November 2003, 15:29
Just on a year now. Always wanted a bike, should have got into it a few years back but kinda missed the opportunity, got married, ran out of money, no good excuse to buy one, etc etc.

Then I started work over here on the shore and the commute in the car went over an hour each way most days. Time to get a bike and a license! Since I didn't know any better I bought a 150...

Al
19th November 2003, 17:03
Phew, been close on 35 yrs now, 22 yrs licensed (I am 39). My only scoot in NZ is the BMW F650GS, we have been here for 19 months. Before that in South Africa it was, in no particular order:
IT465, PE400, VFR400, XT550, XT500, FZR400, Z750, Condor 100cc, XL500S, RM250, ZZR1100, FS50.

fallen, slid and scraped more than I like to remember, do not regret any of it!

wkid_one
19th November 2003, 18:17
2 years for me (on big bikes that is) this month.

merv
19th November 2003, 18:21
Originally posted by wkid_one
2 years for me (on big bikes that is) this month.

Damn only 2 years and now you've retired.

wkid_one
19th November 2003, 19:19
Yep - gr8 two years tho

Coldkiwi
20th November 2003, 11:31
Originally posted by aff-man
Of course my parents threatened CK that if i ever bought a bike they would slaughter him for being a bad influence but as you might have noticed he is still around so everthing worked out ok. But now my little brother is thinking of getting into it ..............:Oops:

Yeah.. if Timmy gets&nbsp;a bike i may well need to migrate south!

(as anyone who's interested will have noticed, my original post about riding a ZXR 250 is no longer current. I loved that until I kept getting destroyed on the back straight at Puke at track days. Bought a ZX-6R to get some more ponies under me and now I'm selling that (ANYONE WANT TO BUY!?) to pay for the new GSXR... now thats a&nbsp;bike I really love)

Up to 3 1/2 years on two wheels now. Can drive cars (don't have one) but unless I'm taking the g/f and her luggage I don't see the point! (go the bikers!) :)

Sharkey
20th November 2003, 13:36
Started with dodgy trail bikes on camps, and then nothing until CK convinced me that spare cash was to be spent on a bike in my th year at uni - about two and a half years ago now. Haven't riden since Feb though, because of a prang that I still haven't fixed...... Hopefully early next year.

bungbung
20th November 2003, 15:32
I started when I was 21 on a 400cc Suzuki Impulse. I had that for a couple of years, but not the licence. A few years off due to poorness and then turbo'ed cars. Got back into things about 2 1/2 years ago with my learners and a ZXR250. A day after receiving my paper temporary full licence I bought my vtr. I've now had it since about April and love it. Go big twins!

bungbung
20th November 2003, 15:34
My numbers don't seem to add up properly. Total bike time must be about 3 1/2 years I guess.

madandy
20th November 2003, 17:42
My first post so it semms prudent to introduce myself...
Rode first bike at age 5 was a 50cc dirt 'zuki.Old man had a SR250 and grew up on the back of that!
Then no bikes for a while till I met a mate who's dad had a small collection of 175( or was that 185?) Enduros...we rode them every avo for years...then I got myself a SR250 for a few months then GS650...lost my license on that:(
Now i'm just coming off 2 years on an AX100' zuki and this weekend...fingers crosses I'll be the proud new owner of a VFR400R!my first ever Honda bike.My missus drives our car to work and always will.,I need my bike...:)

Marmoot
20th November 2003, 17:57
Started on 1991 with a C100 moped (wheelies great, though. Almost flipped it).
Changed to CB200 in 1994.
Got out of country and came to NZ just so that I can have a Blade, that was in 1999.
Still with Blade now. Tried to quit once (remember the thread?) but it proved to be real hard.

:o

P.S. Wkid, where's the stem for the radar?

Racey Rider
20th November 2003, 18:18
Originally posted by Marmoot
P.S. Wkid, where's the stem for the radar?

Wkid doesn't live here, anymore!
Wkid has a jet ski for the Well'y shore.
Wkid he did fell, in the "High side from hell",
It's so sad to see! :(

Make sure you use the right tune! :whistle: :bigthumb:

bluninja
20th November 2003, 18:49
Not sure I could Carrie that tune:D&nbsp; Funnily enough I think that was in the charts within a year of my first bike, Suzuki A100 in 1980.

TTFN

Marmoot
20th November 2003, 18:59
ah....... :(

wkid_one
20th November 2003, 19:02
Marmoot&nbsp; - ya can buy mine - $75

Redstar
20th November 2003, 20:06
:2thumbsup
1974 Abba were born with the award winning song Waterloo.
stacked shoes were in and Gary glitter and the glitter band were second only to Suzy Quatro and the Bay City Rollers.
Honda Launched the SS50 storts moped and you either had one or an FS1E yamaha equiped with pedals locked down to form pegs. Gilera 50's were faster and puch produced a sport ped that looked like a hairdryer with wheels.
I got Dad to buy me a Honda and that was it really. my life was forever changed I would were my new helmet and listen to rod stewart and Black sabbath and deep purple (smoke on the water)

The lesser spotted 50cc gang they called us and we hated scoters and grebos(Hells angels)
It was hard work changing gear with stacked shoes on.
ss50
cb250
suzi500gt
bonnie 750
Tiger 750 (single carb bonnie)
and so on

honda cx500
and zxr400

How I wish they had todays bikes yesterday you are so lucky really.

I know I will eventually have to flag it but not yet!

Timber020
23rd November 2003, 21:36
First started when I was 4, so I guess that makes all of 24 years. Had everything from 50 to 750. Hondas, Suzis, Yamaha and Kawakas. 50 125 185 200 250 400 600 750, those numbers cover over 15 bikes (lots of double ups!)

2strokes have always been the path to the shining light......

smokiesam
3rd December 2003, 01:29
Rode farm bikes from about 12 first bike was a yahama 80 which lasted about 3 weeks then a RD 250E then a kaw 100, xl 125,then married no licence sold bikes. Been riding trail bikes again for the last 5 years and now seperated so time for a real bike again found a old GSX 750 in a garage and the love affair back on. Hmm need one of those shining new ones that does wheel stands without trying. Now 41 and wondering how long I'm going to have a licience still only one speed to ride.

modalx
3rd December 2003, 19:26
I saw the light in '74...

Suzi 90 trail - snapped the crank playing wheelies
Norton Domi 500 - rebuilt and shared with a mate - that never really works (and neither did the bike)
RD350 no1 - nicked
RD350 no2 - tricked out at great expense then nicked
DT450 - wicked goddam 2 stroke single. The kick start would rip yer leg off - the bastard tried to kill me one too many times and I flogged it cheap
Ducati 450 Mk III - my first true love - sold to do OE and I've never forgiven myself
Ducati GT750 - really wanted an SS but no $$ - honestly preferred the MkIII

Several years of abstenance due to ankle biters then various XTs and a 2 stroke trike (another evil machine) on a farm

BMW K75c - "didn't see ya mate"
BMW K75s - liked em at the time but looking back they were a bit of a yawn
VFR750 RC36 - luvin' it

MadDuck
3rd December 2003, 19:43
Car licence at 15 in early 80s. Had to go to Tech so got the bike licence (at 16) with a handshake from the cop on duty at the time. Put my first bike under a bus...yeah young and stupid but walked away and learnt damn good lesson.
Havent ridden for some 20 odd years and felt the urge. But older and wiser went for 250 to get back into it and loving it so maybe next year time to upgrade :)

Racer X
6th December 2003, 18:51
When the government started getting silly about young people in cars I thought, F this and went out and bought a bike. VFR400R, then a GSXR750 - bikes are sooooooo much cooler and faster I'll never think a car is fast again!
And if you need to get away from certain brightly painted cars...
:niceone:

Magua
6th December 2003, 19:49
Haven't started riding yet, but I'm looking at getting a Gn125 on Wednesday. Went for a course at Passrite today, didn't finish it so I have to go back next weekend. If I pass then I can finaly start riding.

Vagabond
6th December 2003, 23:19
Been riding since 1982 started with a
: Suzuki TS 50 ER
: Yamaha IT 200
:Kawa Z 750
:Kawa Z1000 J
:Kawa Z1000 Eddie Lawson Replica
:Suzuki GSXR 750
:Suzuki DR 500
:Honda XR 600
:Honda CB 900 Hornet (Current)

Must admit though cages have their uses, especially when the ladies won't swing a leg over !
:gob:

Goddess of Goof
13th December 2003, 00:44
Haven't started riding yet, but I'm looking at getting a Gn125 on Wednesday. Went for a course at Passrite today, didn't finish it so I have to go back next weekend. If I pass then I can finaly start riding.

:mobile: Heya Magua, didja get yer bike ?

Didja go back and finish the test ? Have ya learned "You and Your Motorcycle" book off by heart yet ?

I hope all went well, and now you're on your wheels :cool:

Welcome to the weird wonderful world of motorcycling (and motorcyclists) :)

pete376403
15th March 2004, 21:18
Lemesee..
First ever was a 1950something Royal Enfield 250 in 1967 when I was 14. I hid that in the shed for over a week before my mother made me take it back.
AJS350 in a Velocette frame when I was 17 (it went as bad as it sounds)
Matchless 500 twin. Maybe a years worth of apprentice wages making it into something slightly better than when I bought it. Saw the light - went Japanese. 1972 Kawasaki F9 350 Big Horn trailie. Cost $1169, the only brand new bike I've ever owned. Other Yamaha DT175 and DT250 trailes. Marriage and a "car" (Hillman Imp) Got into speedway and had JAP, Jawa and Weslake powered bikes, did that for 16 seasons with minor success. Commuting was a pain so bought a CB750F1, had that for a number of years then bought the current GS1100GK in 1990. We have a car in the family but thats hers. I drive a company vehicle daily and its a total piece of shit Ford Escort diesel van, acceleration you'd measure with a calendar.
Theres also a real early Yamaha IT400 that I've still got, less that 4000km on it, all original apart from YZ forks and piston. Goes good, stops lousy.

RiderInBlack
15th March 2004, 22:26
Mmm. First road bike was a 1980 GSX250 I picked up for $300US in 1990 while backpacking in USA (hey it bet hiking). Only had car licience at the time. Tashed it in rash hour (4:30pm Thursday) on the 401 in Toronto:stupid: after having ridden it up from Errie, PA, USA.

Got my learners licience in 1991 after return to NZ. Then didn't ride until we got a GXRS250 in 1998 for my wife (now exwife, not that thats important) to commute from Albany to AK City Central. Took over bike in 1999, as I become a Student Nurse, as my main form of transport. Rapidly up graded my licience to Restricted and onto Full. Seperated and did My first big Tour on the GXSR250 Whangarei-Haast-Dunedin and back around New Years 2002 . Got really hooked on bikes then. Graduated as a Reg Nurse later that year. Shifted to Tauranga and got the 1991 VFR750. This was my only form of transport until returning to Whangarei later last year (did around 40000Km on that bike). Have just replaced the VFR with the 1990 CBR1000F last month. Hope to do heaps more riding. Rather die riding than end up in a rest home(f*ck that:finger: ).

brockhaus
16th March 2004, 02:34
I did my car licence 8 years ago and thought---motorcycles that's dangerous and only a mixture between bicycle and car. My father said: do the licence maybe you will think different in the future---and he was right....
Travelled with a friend on the back of his MC just for a one hour trip and :sunny: :spudbooge .

Bought my first bike in March 2003
HONDA CB400 1983 model in South Africa
for 3500km to get the licence there
converted the South African licence to an Austrian licence
borrowed a
YAMAHA XT500Z 1986 model in Austria
to tour around for 3000km
started with a world trip and after nearly three months without a motorcycle (hitch hiking in Australia) I arrived in Auckland and bought a
YAMAHA TDM850 1992 model in New Zealand
and did 4500km so far---more to be done :)

Hope to meet more Kiwibikers for a ride.
Kiwibikers that I met so far: Wari, SpankMe, celticno6, Kickaha, Lynda and there are others on my list :)
cya, Marcus

Holy Roller
16th March 2004, 04:26
First bike I rode was mt uncles farm bike, rode it into the hedge I had no idea what I was doing.
Farm work saw me on a 90 step through with high and low ratio that bike was slow but heaps of fun.
Mates XR 250, TT250 were great to hoon around on off road.
Got my licence in 81 Cage first my first car was a Hillman Imp ten a morris 1100, then a MK4 ford Zepher with a capri V6 enough of cages.
brought my only brand new bike 1981 GSX 250EZ all the gear full set of leathers. (not that I'd fit them now though). Fell of that several times big learning curve nearly got squashed by a HQ stationwagon, being engaged I sold the bike.
Couldn't stay off the bikes brought a XR500 my theory was it goes slower or so I said, got bowled by a drunk......
A Kawazaki GPZ550 with air horns followed and was my daily commute for several years, I had to use those horns in anger several times, sure got their (cage drivers) attention real fast.
next was a Yammy XZ400 great shaft drive bike hooned around Auckland on that for a couple of years until moving to the BOP
Back to work on a farm brought an AG100 thrashed it wheelied it, jumped it, took it swimming in the lake, chased cows out of the local forrest where they were grazing. Run over wild pigs, fell of it heaps, and it just kept going.
Now I have the XV500 and try to ride it every day
I know nothing really big but good things come to those who wait

Batcerb
16th March 2004, 08:30
When I turned 15, my dad phoned me up and said ... "its about time you got some transport"
He suggested I look at getting a bike - well actually that was basicly my only option :D (thanks dad!!). He also had bikes all through his life so I suppose it was almost like carrying on a tradition.

First bike I had was a 1995 Yamaha TTR250. Rode that around mostly off road for a while. Now for some reason, I decided to get rid of it. I wish now that I could go back in time and kick myself in the nuts for even thinking about it because that was actually a really awesome bike!

Well anyway, a couple years later I was bitten by the bug again - pretty much overnight. Went out looking for a bike, decided this time I wanted a roadbike, looked at alot of 250s, a lovely RGV250 to be exact. The morning I went down to buy that beast, it was sitting out on the coutyard with no price tag! someone had gotten in a few minutes before me and already done the damage. Probably a good thing though, that was too much bike for me back then. My search carried on and I couldnt find a reasonable 250, so I ended up with my RG150.
Riding since then :)

Grumpy
16th March 2004, 19:25
Been riding 26 years now, on to my 14th bike, with the exception of 1 have all been Suzuki's.

Have had few cars through the years but none have really got the juices going like the bikes do. The cars certainly have served their purpose but the bikes are really what lifes about. :yeah:

Des Truction
16th March 2004, 20:26
got a basket case kwaka Z1000 (after seeing mad max) about 1984
got it going and rode it till 95 traded to a bm k100 a year later traded again to the R1100RS, cars are a necesity for transporting familys and other large objects around Id like to see how you xenophoebic car haters would live with out them

Indiana_Jones
17th March 2004, 13:29
I've been riding for about 3 months now :D :baby:
On "The McQueen Machine" AKA my FXR150 :ride:

-Indy

White trash
17th March 2004, 14:06
got a basket case kwaka Z1000 (after seeing mad max) about 1984
got it going and rode it till 95 traded to a bm k100 a year later traded again to the R1100RS, cars are a necesity for transporting familys and other large objects around Id like to see how you xenophoebic car haters would live with out them

A friend of my fathers was 30ish when he got his first car 10 years ago. Never had a car licence, always rode bikes. He found a Morris Oxford at the tip and chucked a battery in it and attempted to drive it home.

He is one scary boy to drive with and is probably better off without the "cage"

Ms Piggy
6th June 2004, 11:49
Been driving since I was 15 ( so that was a few years ago - ah hem) but have been riding for 6 months and lovin' it! I can go for my restricted on the 19th June 2004 but I'll have ti wait until budget allows to actually sit it, and then I can get my full six months later and then a bigger bike! Yay!!! :banana:

NordieBoy
6th June 2004, 19:11
Started riding when I was 6 or 7 on grandads TS125.

Couldn't reach the ground properly but had good gloves so I was set ;)

Thought nothing about towing my little bro around on his sled in the paddock.

Just wish I'd kept it up through my teens.

Now I've got 2 Gilera Nordwests and a VT 250 that's being swapped for a 1980 XL250 so I can get into the dirt and learn some handling skills and how to fall off properly (classic MX here I come) :)

PeteThePom
7th June 2004, 15:54
First experience of bikes was when I was 8, one of the labourers on the farm I used to live on would take me for a blat up the valley and back on payday!

First rode a bike when I was 13, a Yamaha FS1E...oh yes indeedy. My mate told me to put it in gear, open the throttle and let go of the clutch, so I did...and wheelied it into his garden fence, bought the same bike 2 yrs later, was great, all my mates had posh new and 'restricted' mopeds, mine was good for 60mph..when it wasn't busy eating pistons...and when I wasn't busy avoiding old bill regarding the little matter of no insurance, MOT or Tax, or 'L' plates!

Next I had an early Yamaha DT125, then a GP100, then a Suzuki TS100, which I passed my test on, 2 weeks later I bought a Honda CB250n(who came up with the name super dream??!!) which I bought on the strength of another biker waving to me whilst road testing it...

This bike served me well for 5 years during which time it got a CB400 engine, and varied in style from 70's style chopper(complete with flame paint job, hi-bars and forward controls) through to 'speed scratcher' and used as a despatch hack in London inbetween times (i managed to upset people on bigger and faster bikes on a semi regular basis....but thats back when I knew I was immortal) I also had an XS250 and a GT400, then I had a Kawasaki GT500(whats wrong with shaft drives?) followed by a Z1000R which saw a lot of work on the engine includiing Wiseco big bore kit, the rest of the bike got 'necessarry maintenance, which probably explains why the frame snapped! Then followed by a ZRX1100 which I replaced with my current bike...another ZRX1100(same colour as well)
So there you go almost 19 years of bike riding(counting from MY 1st bike) in just a few short paragraphs...you can wake up now and read someone elses thread!!:spudwave:

Satan
7th June 2004, 15:58
Since about 1110-1111 if I remember rightly

Badcat
7th June 2004, 19:40
built my first bike while in high school (1981)- working at atomic wreckers in AK - getting paid in parts. it was a PE175 in an RM125 chassis. pushed it up to westlake high school and taught myself to ride in the middle of the lower field.
have owned LOT of bikes (i'm 37 now) including:
Various RMs and PEs
KLX250
XR500s (never broke my ankle either)
GPX500 (first brand new bike)
gsx1100
gsx700ESD
gsxr1100 (a couple of these bad girls)
xj750 cop bike (sweet in black - but still pulled some people over for a laugh))
DR350
FZR400
SRX600 (Sold it to my best friend - he still has it)
TZR2503ma
honda BROS 650 (brilliant bike - so trick and under-rated)
TZR2503xv (best handing bike i've ever ridden)
street magic
Ducati 750 sporty
cagiva raptor
KTM 640 Supermoto Presige - a VERY bad influence :)

now - a new rv200 vanvan suzuki and a new GS1200SS

probably a few more - that's what i can remember..
ken