PDA

View Full Version : any wonder some people hate bikes/Ghost Rider in Rotorua?

Blakamin
21st March 2005, 13:43
I think some people need a brain transplant....
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3224139a11,00.html

Police are searching for a motorcyclist who reached speeds of up to 180kmh in peak-hour traffic in Rotorua this morning.

A spokesman for the Rotorua Strategic Traffic Unit said that about 8am a police officer travelling on the main Fenton St noticed a motorbike travelling at high speed.

The officer clocked its speed at 117kmh.

The rider then sped off pursued by the police officer who was forced to withdraw for safety reasons as the bike's speed increased.

outlawtorn
21st March 2005, 13:45
that dude should get a hefty fine and be reduced to riding nothing bigger than a 125 for the next 5 years. Dumb prick!

vifferman
21st March 2005, 14:01
that dude should get a hefty fine and be reduced to riding nothing bigger than a 125 for the next 5 years. Dumb prick!
If he's caught, he WILL get a heft fine, and he won't be riding anything for a while....:yeah:

madboy
21st March 2005, 14:04
Would be interested to hear the "full" story, but as we know that will never come out. That story doesn't outline any "facts" that give me any clue as to whether the pursuit was actually dangerous or not, aside from the speed and we all know speed per se is a matter of debate.

Waylander
21st March 2005, 14:05
Do they know what kind of bike he was on or will they just be pulling peaple over at random asking, "were you the guy speeding that one time?"

Maximus
21st March 2005, 14:17
Do they know what kind of bike he was on or will they just be pulling peaple over at random asking, "were you the guy speeding that one time?"

:killingme :killingme

Maybe it was a tourist/traveller just "passing thru" wonder how they will find them? :confused:

strayjuliet
21st March 2005, 14:39
:killingme :killingme

Maybe it was a tourist/traveller just "passing thru" wonder how they will find them? :confused:

I'm sure they will find them when they crash or something stupid like that.
Years ago when I was living in Rotorua we heard of a chase like this, when they finally caught the guy they asked why the speeding, and his reply was "oh coz I couldnt stand the smell anylonger." stupid git. Rotorua being a tourist attraction town I don't think it was a tourist just passing thru. This person is taking a risk speeding down fenton st, as theres lots of motal's along Fenton st cars are forever pulling out of driveways, so he/she would have to be very careful. :done:

Blakamin
21st March 2005, 14:47
Would be interested to hear the "full" story, but as we know that will never come out. That story doesn't outline any "facts" that give me any clue as to whether the pursuit was actually dangerous or not, aside from the speed and we all know speed per se is a matter of debate.
What "full" story???... the guy got clocked doing 117 in Fenton st... a main street with a limit of 50 on 90% (if not all) of it... he's a fuckin idiot... end of story!
If a dick in a subaru and a cap did it you wouldn't want a "full story"

A spokesman for the Rotorua Strategic Traffic Unit said that about 8am a police officer travelling on the main Fenton St noticed a motorbike travelling at high speed.

The rider then sped off pursued by the police
Like he wasn't speeding already????

count the streets that run off it that your mrs and kid coulda driven out of....

Hitcher
21st March 2005, 15:01
We have been told that this event allegedly took place within the Rotorua city limits where, I would guess, 180kmh is likely to be "actually dangerous". No debate necessary, I would have thought. Per se.

strayjuliet
21st March 2005, 15:08
Like he wasn't speeding already????[/QUOTE]
Thats reporters for ya, they wouldnt know which dog to back in a pig racing contest. They were clocked doing 117kph??? so where does the speed of 180kph come from??? :spudwhat:

Blakamin
21st March 2005, 15:10
Thats reporters for ya, they wouldnt know which dog to back in a pig racing contest. They were clocked doing 117kph??? so where does the speed of 180kph come from??? :spudwhat:

The rider then sped off pursued by the police officer who was forced to withdraw for safety reasons as the bike's speed increased.
ummmm.....

D Man
21st March 2005, 15:18
2 words

Temporary NewZealander :spudwave:

ktulu
21st March 2005, 15:25
. They were clocked doing 117kph??? so where does the speed of 180kph come from??? :spudwhat:

180kph sounds way better, its called sexing up a story... another good addition would have been to say that it was a racial attack or that he was a terrorist or on p (which he may have been)

Mitch
21st March 2005, 15:29
It's not any wonder that the cops come down on us like a ton of bloody bricks sometimes!!!!!!!!!
We all speed and do stupid antics on our bike's, anyone denying that is lying HOWEVER................ there is a time and a place.
Sounds like this idiot has no idea of either and no doubt if caught would be the first one to pleed injustice!!!!!! :angry2: :angry2:

Holy Roller
21st March 2005, 15:30
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,,3224139a11,00.html

Come on you Rotovegas guys fess up:spudbooge

Pwalo
21st March 2005, 15:32
Wether it's 117kph or 180kph it's still too fast.

I guess he wasn't on a GN250, or a GS500 then?

Blakamin
21st March 2005, 15:34
It's not any wonder that the cops come down on us like a ton of bloody bricks sometimes!!!!!!!!!
We all speed and do stupid antics on our bike's, anyone denying that is lying HOWEVER................ there is a time and a place.

zactleys!!!! ..

Wolf
21st March 2005, 15:37
It was Mister Green, In the Library, With the Rope.

Actually, I'm waiting for half the Wellington and Auckland crowds to post interesting "I stole a Yamuzawada ABCDEFG9000RSX, rode it to RotoVegas and blew off the local filth" posts...

WINJA
21st March 2005, 16:39
GOOD STUFF , HE SOUNDS LIKE A PROPER BIKE RIDER

Midnight 82
21st March 2005, 16:45
Wasnt me but what an idiot :shake:

Mitch
21st March 2005, 16:46
GOOD STUFF , HE SOUNDS LIKE A PROPER BIKE RIDER

Ahhh Jeff tis good to see you are still the lovable WANKER you have always been !!!!!!!!! :2thumbsup

This could have been you................. BUT we all know you just can't ride that fast HEHEHEHE :banana:

Motoracer
21st March 2005, 16:54
Ahhh Jeff tis good to see you are still the lovable WANKER you have always been !!!!!!!!! :2thumbsup

Ha ha, so it is him. Yo Jeff, you should come for a ride with the liter crew! They need more members. You'll love it I am sure.

John become even more faster than what he used to be before.

WINJA
21st March 2005, 16:56

This could have been you................. BUT we all know you just can't ride that fast HEHEHEHE :banana:
YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEED... A GOOD HUSBAND AND A BABY AND A STOVE. :yeah:

WINJA
21st March 2005, 16:58
Ha ha, so it is him. Yo Jeff, you should come for a ride with the liter crew! They need more members. You'll love it I am sure.

John become even more faster than what he used to be before.
THOSE GUYS ARE ALL TOO SLOW. AND WHOS JOHN , BET HES A SHIT RIDER

Mitch
21st March 2005, 17:01
YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEED... A GOOD HUSBAND AND A BABY AND A STOVE. :yeah:

Not even in your wildest fuk'n dreams baby HA
Actually instead I have added 2 bike's to my list of true love's since I last saw you.
You just take yourself home to your wife and be a good boy now!! :banana:

Motoracer
21st March 2005, 17:02
THOSE GUYS ARE ALL TOO SLOW. AND WHOS JOHN , BET HES A SHIT RIDER

Far from it fella. Have you still got his cell #? PM me if your keen for a quick and fun ride. This weekend is Puke trackday so maybe next weekend you should hook up with them. I have a race meet on the 3rd so I won't be able to make the ride then.

WINJA
21st March 2005, 17:04
Not even in your wildest fuk'n dreams baby HA
Actually instead I have added 2 bike's to my list of true love's since I last saw you.
You just take yourself home to your wife and be a good boy now!! :banana:
SO STOP CALLING ME THEN , I SAID IM NOT INTERESTED, YOU KNOW I DONT DATE CHICKS WHO CAN RIDE FASTER THAN ME AND BEAT ME IN AN ARM WRESTLE

Timber020
21st March 2005, 17:07
It was me, on a cbr250, but it been heavily modded. drilled some hole in the pipe and its got neons. So its real fast.

NC
21st March 2005, 17:10
Maybe someone put a '1' infront of the 80kms sign :confused:

NC
21st March 2005, 17:12
YOU KNOW I DONT DATE CHICKS WHO CAN RIDE FASTER THAN ME AND BEAT ME IN AN ARM WRESTLE
Yeah, it's illegal.

madboy
21st March 2005, 17:16
What "full" story???... the guy got clocked doing 117 in Fenton st... a main street with a limit of 50 on 90% (if not all) of it... he's a fuckin idiot... end of story!
If a dick in a subaru and a cap did it you wouldn't want a "full story".... actually i would still want the full story - was he on the 10% that your say might not have been a 50 zone? I don't know the area, that's why I want the full story before passing judgement on the guy.

scumdog
21st March 2005, 17:20
SO STOP CALLING ME THEN , I SAID IM NOT INTERESTED, YOU KNOW I DONT DATE CHICKS WHO CAN RIDE FASTER THAN ME AND BEAT ME IN AN ARM WRESTLE

Hell, you must have a hell of a small number of potential dates!! Must be even harder trying to find them in your ward! :laugh:

On second thoughts it might be just a small 'number' Jeff!!! :banana:

Mitch
21st March 2005, 17:23
Hell, you must have a hell of a small number of potential dates!! Must be even harder trying to find them in your ward! :laugh:

On second thoughts it might be just a small 'number' Jeff!!! :banana:

HA Scumdog I don't think I know you.................. BUT I like the way you think!!!!!!! :2thumbsup

madboy
21st March 2005, 17:24
We have been told that this event allegedly took place within the Rotorua city limits where, I would guess, 180kmh is likely to be "actually dangerous". No debate necessary, I would have thought. Per se.As said, I don't know Rotorua, so difficult for me to judge the guy (not wanting to insult the crazy females out there, just making a general assumption that it's a guy). The story doesn't say the route the pursuit took, so everyone is making the ASSUMPTION that the guy was pulling 180k within the city limits. If that ASSUMPTION is correct, well maybe the guy has a screw loose. But unless we know the FULL story, we are all making ASSUMPTIONS - which was my whole point to start with.

Besides, you know me Hitcher - I never endorse illegal activity :2thumbsup

Coldkiwi
21st March 2005, 17:27
agreed the rider is pretty suicidal/homocidal doing 117 down Fenton St. But the 180kmhr statement does seem a little bit fanciful. How would they really know? If they knew, they should've said 'was clocked at 180kmhr'. goes to show how stuffed stuff is eh?

Funkyfly
21st March 2005, 17:52
agreed the rider is pretty suicidal/homocidal doing 117 down Fenton St. But the 180kmhr statement does seem a little bit fanciful. How would they really know? If they knew, they should've said 'was clocked at 180kmhr'. goes to show how stuffed stuff is eh?

does kinda make you wonder, 180kph down fenton street in "peak traffic", hmm yea right. I have driven in rotorua peak hour traffic and you would be hella hard pressed to ride 50kph let alone 180kph.

strayjuliet
21st March 2005, 17:59

That's exactly what my point was in my earlier posting, it says he was clocked at 117 but does'nt mention 180, so I was wondering where the 180 came from, seems funny to me.

**R1**
21st March 2005, 18:24
Dont ya all think ya hanging the guy a bit quick?? fuk who's to say there was any trafic even on the road? A copper? fuk it must be true.....NOT.

dont know the full eye witness acount so as far as im concerned...GOOD ON HIM.

untill i see otherwise.

Jeremy
21st March 2005, 19:11
KE = 1/2mv^2

Weight of bike = 200kg (picking a heavy sportsbike, plus the maths is easier)
Speed = 180km/h = 50m/s

= 1/2 * 200kg * 50^2
= 250000 joules (might be Newtons, been a while since I did 6th form physics)

Now lets find out how fast a car has to travel to cause as much damage on impact.

Weight = 1000kg (perhaps on the heavy side but it'll counter act the bike weight)

250000 = 0.5 * 1000 * v^2
250000 = 500v^2
500= v^2
v = 23km/h

Sure he'd kill himself if he hit a car, however he's unlikely to cause that much of a dent in the car that he hit.

madboy
21st March 2005, 19:40
Weight = 1000kg (perhaps on the heavy side but it'll counter act the bike weight)

250000 = 500v^2
500= v^2
v = 23km/hActually an early 90s Civic weighs that much, a late 90s Primera stationwagon weighs 1350kg... a Commodore is more like 1600kg, plus add some for all the shite those Commos with funny lights on them carry and it would be dangerous for the Commo to break walking pace... just as well really that it was behind the bike!

tlr-steve
21st March 2005, 19:42
sure as hell was'nt me.

Blakamin
21st March 2005, 19:42
Dont ya all think ya hanging the guy a bit quick?? fuk who's to say there was any trafic even on the road? A copper? fuk it must be true.....NOT.

dont know the full eye witness acount so as far as im concerned...GOOD ON HIM.

untill i see otherwise.
Cant you read either??? 8 am it says.. a main street in a town? ffs...... even raumati has fuckin traffic at 8am on a monday.....

Blakamin
21st March 2005, 19:44
Sure he'd kill himself if he hit a car, however he's unlikely to cause that much of a dent in the car that he hit.

your physics is all fine in theory... tell those numbers to a frined of mine who has been a vegetable for the last 18 years...coz a bike came up the bonnet and thru the fuckin window....

are all you pepole this fuxkin stupid?????

I quit.........................

tlr-steve
21st March 2005, 19:50
Cant you read either??? 8 am it says.. a main street in a town? ffs...... even raumati has fuckin traffic at 8am on a monday.....

well i can honestly say , riding/driving anywhere through
rotorua around that time in the morning can be bloody crazy

madboy
21st March 2005, 20:12
Can't say i'd be endorsing high speed activity round town at 8am, but i'd be a hypocrite if I waged too far into this debate. But what gets me is how quick everyone is to judge...

Does anyone involved in this thread actually know what really happened? Umm... "no" I think is a fair answer.

Had a similar debate with a work colleague today... off topic but... I like fast cars. Sooner or later once I've got my mortgage down, got my income up I'll own a pretty fast car again - probably the equivalent of the latest Evo (ver 27 by the time I get there) or something. But if I buy one before I'm old, wrinkled and grey, I'll be labelled a boyracer. Fact. I could also be a motorsport enthusiast who enjoys owning a quick car and regularly takes it to track days and participates in real motorsport sanctioned events... but out on street where no one takes the time to ask, I will be judged a boyracer...

Just like some are judging our fellow motorcyclist here based on 1/5th of the story.

**R1**
21st March 2005, 20:45
Cant you read either??? 8 am it says.. a main street in a town? ffs...... even raumati has fuckin traffic at 8am on a monday.....all im saying is we wernt there, :spudwhat: so no1 but those involved know what went down....you lot sound like ya wana lynch(sp) the poor guy/gal......inocent till proven guilty or caught at least.

Blakamin
21st March 2005, 20:51
.inocent till proven guilty or caught at least.
ANY WONDER PEOPLE HATE BIKES is/was the topic... this stuff ends up reported (wrongly or rightly) coz fuckwits speed thru a town at 8am...and then fuck off

whats hard to understand??? If he had of stopped, there would be no fucking story... so the guy is a fuckwit giving everyone a bad name.... so yeah, I wouldn't mind him/her lynched... along with thieves...

I really cant be fucked anymore....

let someone else tidy up after yerselves....

madboy
21st March 2005, 20:59
Someone got PMT goin on? Jeez... you point out a few holes in a flimsy story...

Yep, I agree - it's stories like that that do give bikers a bad name... so instead of publishing a quick factually sparse but EYECATCHING story, they should publish the full deal, get a line on who the guy was, get his story, find out about his completely normal childhood, find out about the time when he was 16 and his then girlfriend told him........ and then get the cops side, starting with the breach birth, through their abusive childhood... oh dear, it just doesn't have the same punch.

The real culprit here must be the newspaper for not doing a comprehensive job - quick, let's get a posse together and go lynch the editor!!

Krusti
21st March 2005, 21:15
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,,3224139a11,00.html

Ya sure it wasn't you on that XV doing 180 Roller? :killingme :killingme

Jeremy
21st March 2005, 21:22
KE = 1/2mv^2

Weight of bike = 200kg (picking a heavy sportsbike, plus the maths is easier)
Speed = 180km/h = 50m/s

= 1/2 * 200kg * 50^2
= 250000 joules (might be Newtons, been a while since I did 6th form physics)

Now lets find out how fast a car has to travel to cause as much damage on impact.

250000 = 500v^2
500= v^2
v = 23km/h

Oops I made a major mistake, that's 23m/s which is ~83km/h. Still quite fast but have a think about the sort of damage an SUV or truck will do travelling at 50km/h. Though we could go into all sorts of mess due to impulses and the size of the area that it colliding.

Krusti
21st March 2005, 21:25
Not defending the guy at all but....... If I nailed my bike from the lights and then buttoned off I would easily hit 117 without realising it. If he was heading south on Fenton St he could easily be 180 plus as he heads out of town in 80 or 100 limit. Who knows or cares.

But....... if it was the arrogant prick of a cop I have had a number of dealings with in Rotorua I wouldn't be surprised if he made up half the story.

Then again the bike rider may just be a tosser. Who knows?

Krusti
21st March 2005, 21:28
But yeah it is no wonder we all get a bad name after reports like this...

Holy Roller
21st March 2005, 22:15
Funny that
Just what the Mrs asked me when I turned up at the shop after being out repping for the day.
Spose that the holes in the muffler might make it sound like 180... :wari:

Midnight 82
21st March 2005, 22:41

NA dude not that dumb Roto MMMMmmmmm gotta be game to pull that speed round here. hehe :yeah:

FzerozeroT
22nd March 2005, 07:24
I thought that the radars inside cars only measure the nearest object within a 30degree window, so if it really was "rush hour" with 2 lanes going each way there would have been a lot of objects travelling each way, and so when this bike took off the cop wouldn't have had a shit show of getting a reading from him. Or do the radars now have "Target Lock", missiles next?

scumdog
22nd March 2005, 07:50
Too many self opinionated "experts" here too concerned with the "facts". :yeah:

The point was (right or wrong): Any Wonder People Hate Bikes, not "here are the facts" or similar.

Sure there may be a certain amount of media speculation etc but at the end of the day the "sheeples" read their paper and see some idiot bikers has gone speeding through town and tar the rest of us with the same opinion the have for the 'speeding' biker.

End of story.

NordieBoy
22nd March 2005, 08:29
2 words

Temporary NewZealander :spudwave:

[hitcher mode]3 words...[/hitcher mode]

:niceone:

Lou Girardin
22nd March 2005, 08:33

117 in Fenton street is dangerous, end of story. Too many side streets, too many tourists and too many Rotovegas drivers. The cops didn't catch him but his karma will.

FzerozeroT
22nd March 2005, 08:44
I think it's great, the worse image that bikers have the better. Cages will get out of the way for us, and young guys will think "yeah, yeah, I'll get a bike and be a badass", even if you're not a badass its fun pretending you are.

muzz
22nd March 2005, 09:07
I think aisian's are getting more flack at the moment. Bikers arnt in that much limelight.
Dont beleive the media they quite often get it wrong or half pie.

Sheep Dags
22nd March 2005, 21:05
mmmmmmmmmm... half a pie