PDA

View Full Version : New Rings

Antallica
14th October 2003, 06:52
I'm looking at this bike a dude might be willing to swap for my FXR150, he says it needs new rings. I'm wondering is this costly to do?

He said it can be ridden still so I'm not sure exactly how rotten the bike is (ie. power etc.). Someone asked him about the rings and he said:"I'm not to sure what condition they are in but seeing it lost compression all of a sudden i don't think it was due to the cylinder sleeve wearing out"

Bike is ZXR250a

Cheers, Ants

duckman
14th October 2003, 08:29
Eeeeeek - Sounds a bit suspect. I wouldn't trust someone who's willing to trade down to a smaller CC bike, especially a 150. (no offense)
If your mechanically minded enough to do it yourself then it could be a good deal but otherwise prolly best to stay clear.

I've done the rings on a two stroke but never on a four so I can't tell you what kinda job it'll be.

Perhaps KK can ??:niceone:

aff-man
14th October 2003, 09:14
Lost compression on a zxr hmmmmmmm i think maybe you have bigger problems than rings. I'm not to sure about zxr's (havn't taken the engine of this one apart) but when i replaced the engine of the vt it was a bitch to get into the engine and get to the rings.  If you wondering about cost most bike mechanics charge quite a bit (+-$50) an hour and it might take a couple of hours so you looking at a few hundy. Better to save the cash and buy a bike in tip top condition i say. But that's just my opinion happy hunting:niceone:

What?
14th October 2003, 09:51
Sounds like a good deal, Ants - but NOT for you! Aff-man is on track: save your loot and buy something good.:niceone:

750Y
14th October 2003, 10:03
what they said, do yourself a favour & steer clear. engines rebuilds are fairly expensive.

Dave
14th October 2003, 11:02
Don't touch it with a barge pole!
Even if you fix it yourself ( if your comfortable doing an engine reco) It will cost you a mint.
If it lost compression suddenly, You can bet it dropped a valve.
ie. Valve breaks off, goes through piston.
Also-this bike didn't shit itself because it was well looked after-what else is wrong with it?

merv
14th October 2003, 11:55
I'm with aff-man on this one. For someone to say it needs new rings is bound to be an understatement. It is unlikely that the rings are all that are buggered. Probably got very worn bores as well and hell knows what else. Save your money and go and buy a decent low kms bike somehwere else.

Motu
14th October 2003, 17:02
Don't listen to these misery guts mate - do the deal! Put it your bedroom and strip it down,put the bits and pieces where ever you can.Make a big mess and get your Mum real pissed off.Then you can lie in bed all day out of it on P,get a six pack of Lion Red and smash each bottle over your head as you finish it ...just think of the fun you'll have if you ever finish it- just enjoy the moment.It's called character building - and you HAVE to do it.

Nouseforaname
14th October 2003, 17:09
Hey Antallica, just saw the bike in question on trademe.co.nz

30 000kms on the clock. Fastest 4-stroke 250 on the market.Actual photo.
Has New;speedo cable, throttle cable, brake pads, front tyre(back still in good shape, both bridgestone battlax's), spark plugs, exhaust bushes, parklights, flasher unit for the indicators, HT leads, battery, O-ring chain, sprockets, warrant, rego.Comes with a brake pad lock, bikecover, and extra brand new original kawasaki speedo cable.
Previous owner dropped it, minor scratches on right side(should be able to see in photo), needs new rings.

And the reserve price has been met at only $2000

Might be better off saving up for something else i reckon

Antallica
14th October 2003, 21:35
Cheers guys, I'll keep dreaming :beer:

Andrew
14th October 2003, 22:01
How would you like to do a direct swap for my RGV 150?
I'll even throw in an old visor from my helmet.

Antallica
14th October 2003, 22:28
Got pics? I really would like a 250. But I'd like to see what you got anyway.

Andrew
14th October 2003, 22:31
nah dude, just a joke. My RGV 150 doesn't look as nice as your FXR 150, even if it does perform just a little better. Go for a 250, lots of fun!!!

wkid_one
15th October 2003, 06:30
Honestly - save you coin and wait until you get your full license......

The 150/250 thing is great - but when you come to get your big bike - the extra wedge will come in handy because you will lose it on sale of a 250 if you spend it now

Andrew
15th October 2003, 07:31
Originally posted by wkid_one
Honestly - save you coin and wait until you get your full license......

The 150/250 thing is great - but when you come to get your big bike - the extra wedge will come in handy because you will lose it on sale of a 250 if you spend it now

At the end of the day, that is just so true.