PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Team Metalform Racing!

nicko
14th October 2003, 16:09
Introducing Team Metalform Racing!

Mike Smith and I have joined up & are racing under the new Metalform Racing banner. Thanks to all our sponsors for helping us get this far to date. We'll be adding racing reports and pictures as we compete in events around the country and will share in our stories and successes. Here's our first race report, you can find more details and pictures at www.metalformracing.com (http://www.metalformracing.com)

Seeya at the track!

Nicko #80

Team Metalform Racing Weekend 4/5 October 2003 The weekend was the first outing for the newly formed team 'Metalform Racing'. The team consists of Mike Smith on a 2003 Yamaha R1 racing in Formula 1 and Nick Odermatt riding a Suzuki GSXR 600 in Formula 1 and Formula 2. With an awesome new metallic blue paint job thanks to Waikato Sandblasting Services www.waikato-sandblasting.co.nz (http://www.waikato-sandblasting.co.nz) the team looked the part for their first outing. Following are summaries from both riders for the weekend.

Nick Odermatt

After my trusty van died on the way down to the last meeting at Manfield I set off on Friday afternoon with co-driver Russel and a loaner van from good fella Craig at Fredco Motors. Saturday was the 5th and final round of the Victoria Series and had me on wet tyres the whole day. I had good qualifying sessions and qualified 2nd in Formula 2 behind Johan Bruns and 4th in Formula 1 behind Brian Bernard, Bruns & Mike Smith which was great as I was starting off the front row for both classes. First F2 race was in damp but drying conditions and on the 3rd lap while in 2nd spot my front end tucked at turn 1 which had me hit the deck, little damage to the bike (more to the pride) and I was up and running for the next race. The rest of the day went well with two 6th spots in F1 and a 3rd place in the second F2 race. Unfortunately the day got called short which meant there was no 3rd race and I didn't have the chance to regain points in F2. All in all it was a great series and I finished up 4th in both Formula 1 and Formula 2 -results I am happy with as the first half of the series was on my old 98 machine. Big thanks to the Vic club crew, marshals, St Johns, Tim Gibbes AMB timing and all the other competitors, supporters and helpers who made it a great series.

There were very similar conditions to Saturdays racing for the first round of the Auckland Protecta Insurance Series - tyre choice played a big part in the day with the sun shining on one end of the track and showers on the other! Qualifying went well with front row spots in both classes again, 2nd in F2 and 3rd in F1. Formula 1 saw me finish with a 4th and 6th placing and in Formula 2 I managed a 2nd and 3rd. Results are encouraging for my first race at Pukekohe on the new bike and I've been gaining a lot more confidence in the wet. The bike felt comfortable and even when stuck without wet tyres in the last race I was doing better lap times on my Metzeler Rennsports then I had ever done with full wets on my last bike. Next race is at Ruapuna on the 18th of 19th of October and features delayed coverage on Prime TV – watch out for us Aucklander’s giving some of those Mainlanders a hurry-up (I hope!).

Mike Smith

Coming into the final round of the Victoria club series I find myself in second place 9 points behind leader Johan Bruns. With the previous 4 rounds giving me much need track time at Manfield I was now in a position to challenge for that first place with confidence. This weekend was going to be a big one as on the Sunday we needed to be back in Auckland for the first round of the AMCC summer series. The weather for the trip down was not good, although as I had traveled down on the Friday morning was not anything as bad as Nick had coming down later Friday night. On the day the wind was high and plenty of rain so as I have seemed to be fast in the wet it was all looking good for me. Qualifying 3rd just 10's off Brian Bernard and even closer to Johan I was feeling good as I had been scrubbing in a new rear wet Metzeler and it was only the last lap that I could start to ride at speed. First race not a bad start slotting in behind always fast starting Ronnie Dewys and Nick (my new team mate?) Johan and Brian had even better. I pushed past Ronnie and then Nick as quickly as I could to try to reel in the two leaders. I managed after a couple of laps to get onto the back wheel of Brian but then pushing hard out of the infield hire pin I had a little moment with slight loss of grip, nothing too bad but enough to allow Brian to gap me again. Next corner try to make back my loss I ran a little wide giving Brian a bigger gap but more importantly allow Ronnie on to my back wheel. Ronnie and I have been toughing it out all series as once he is on you he will not let go. I thought that I had enough on Ronnie after the run down to the final corner but as he had done to me once before just piped me on the final drive to the finish. Not the result I was looking for or expecting as this had given Johan another couple of point on me. Race 2 I changed my front to a newly scrubbed Metzeler and although not a good start the difference in the handling was very noticeable and allowed my to ride like I should be riding in the wet. Again I had to get past Ronnie and Nick (as my team mate I’m not sure he has got the right idea as yet) and pushed on to catch Brian who had a nice little lead. To my surprise I started to gain giving me a chance on the final corner to do to Brian what Ronnie had just done to me in the last race, it was not to be and Brian took out the win by a couple of 100's. Johan only managed 5th so now the points are down to 5 and I was feeling good on the new wet and looking forward to the last race. Well as Nick has said it never happened and the F1 series went to Johan who had ridden very well for the whole series so I was not complaining with my second place. This is my first year of racing and the first series I have completed in full so I am a happy man.

Now Sunday and at the other end of the North Island ready for a nice fine day at Pukekohe and the first round AMCC champs. Qualifying was very short two laps and down came the rain. I have ridden this track the most and have all my settings and gearing well sorted which gave me pole position for race one. Race one call up but no 44 on the grid as my battery had not changed due to too many plugs coming off the same main lead. (put this down to experience better not happen again!). Race two had me starting at the back of the grid as I missed the first race, well this just got me even more peed off so when the flag drop I went for it. Apologies to the rider I clashed with on the way though not sure who it was but at least I did not knock him off. Through turn one and into Castrol I pushed on past most of the field to get on the tail of Lance Lowe riding the ex-Ray Clee Suzuki 1000, I know he is fast and I just could not let him get too far ahead. Down the main straight Lance looked like he must be burning Nitro in that bike as it took off like a very hot cat. Coming into the hair pin I find myself having to late brake to get past the only other rider out in front with Lance and I, Nick Odermatt my team mate (again not sure if he's got the idea yet) showing all of us how to start a race. Two more laps and I pass Lance on the fast right-hander turn one. Not an easy man to stay in front of with the speed of the Suzuki but I managed it to take the win. No race 3 as weather at this end of the Island was no better than Manfield and time ran out for the meeting. Although I do not mind the wet I think I have had enough of it now and would hope our next meet will be a dry one. The Team is off to Ruapuna for a car/bike event on the 18th & 19th October along with Bernie Johnson a fellow Yamaha R1 rider. We have arranged a container to take the three bikes down, which works out the best way cost wise and also means we have our own pit garage at the track. I am looking to do the same thing for the National and have the container dropped of to each of the tracks on the Wednesday prior to each round. If we can get 6 or 7 bikes to come then the cost could be as low as $800 each, flight costs are low right now and this is I am sure the lowest cost way to compete the South Island rounds for the North Island riders. If any of you reading this would like to join us please contact either Nick or I, contact details for both of us are on our web site www.metalformracing.com (http://www.metalformracing.com)

Team Metalform Racing would like to thank the following for their support. Metalforming Technologies, Il Woo Industries, Pacific Direct Lines, Corporate Design, Haldane Motorcycles, Pacific Freight Management, Waikato Sandblasting Services, Armour Linings, Fredco Motors, Metzeler Tyres, FFM Helmets, GP Star Leathers, Nazran Gloves, Maxima Oils, Izumi Race Chains, Forma Boots

nicko
14th October 2003, 16:15
Team Metalform Racing

Coldkiwi
14th October 2003, 16:26
nice one guys! how much racing you both previously done?

wari
14th October 2003, 23:23
Great report you guys !!! ...

Will definitely be cheering you on .

750Y
15th October 2003, 08:24
well done guys.

Hoon
15th October 2003, 12:57
Good stuff guys and all the best.  I'll be cheering you on from the back of the F3 grid! :)

But $2250 of costs per race!!!  Thats more than my bike is worth!

nicko
15th October 2003, 14:05
Thanks for the support guys.

I've been racing a year and a half and Mike just over a year.  I started on a 98 GSXR 600 and bought the K1 about 3 months ago.  We're heading off to Ruapuna tonight so we'll get a report together for next week to let you know how we got on. There's going to a 2 hour feature on Sky & 1/2 an hour on Channel One so it'll be some good exposure for our team and the sport in general - the more the better!

And as for $2 grand a meeting, well mine costs well under that but Mikes isn't far off when you take everything into consideration - especially spreading out the bike purchase and setup costs.

Have a good one!

:rockon: