PDA

View Full Version : Look behind the shed

davereid
13th June 2009, 10:35
Look behind the shed, and your neighbours shed.

Because there may be a 92-96 Trooper or Bighorn rusting away there, blown motor or crashed etc.

If its a V6 petrol with auto transmission, I want it !

The transmission in my one has gone up-in-smoke, and no its not because I have been doing donuts outside the supermarket.

Thanks much

skidMark
13th June 2009, 10:39
they go beause people never bother to change transmission oil....

pick a part wreck them these days

NDORFN
13th June 2009, 10:39
All I found was some chains and shackles, a chainsaw covered in blood and small freezer. Sorry.

skidMark
13th June 2009, 10:41
All I found was some chains and shackles, a chainsaw covered in blood and small freezer. Sorry.

Small freezer? you only chop up one at a time or do you have big spitroasts and call it pork?

NDORFN
13th June 2009, 10:46
Small freezer? you only chop up one at a time or do you have big spitroasts and call it pork?

I'll ask the neighbours for you.

davereid
13th June 2009, 10:58
they go beause people never bother to change transmission oil....

Not this one.. this has a cracked casting due to much more serious abuse than mere neglect...:niceone:

skidMark
13th June 2009, 11:12
Not this one.. this has a cracked casting due to much more serious abuse than mere neglect...:niceone:

i see.... surely people wrecking em on trademe, doesnt hurt to try ya luck here though...

davereid
13th June 2009, 12:32
No V6s on trademe. Lots of oilers, but the V6 engine is bullet proof so I need to find a crashed one. Found a couple at wreckers, but they think they are made of gold, not aluminium.

Ixion
13th June 2009, 13:39
Can you not convert it to a proper transmission ? or are manuals equally hard to find ?

Did any other Isuzus use the same box? They made big vans ISTR. Or the Holden Rodeo? Isn't that a rebadged Isuzu?

davereid
13th June 2009, 14:05
Can you not convert it to a proper transmission ? or are manuals equally hard to find ?

Did any other Isuzus use the same box? They made big vans ISTR. Or the Holden Rodeo? Isn't that a rebadged Isuzu?

Manual conversion is something I would do, if I could find a manual, as the autos are the trucks weak link.

The 3.2 litre engine and transmission found its way into Isuzu Mu's, Holden Jackaroos, and Rodeos. But as its a 'puter controlled gearbox, I would only do that particular transplant if I scored an entire truck.

The gearbox was also used by BMW from 92-98, but of course it didnt have the transfer case.

Timber020
13th June 2009, 19:54
I know someone with half a dozen isuzu bighorns, most in bits, I think they are all diesels but will ask him about it for you.

PS dont go near any of the holden or isuzu diesels (the isuzu trucks are fine), the cat injection they use sucks. Thats advice from guy with half a dozen bighorns and is a mechanic! (ends up with bighorns after they break and customers dont want them anymore or wont pay the bill once they are fixed!)

pete376403
14th June 2009, 13:09
I rebuilt the auto on my sons V6 petrol Isuzu. Boult a rebuild kit and manual from a place in Las Vegas. Was pretty straight forward and cost around $500.
Pretty good compared to the $1500 a wrecker wanted for a second hand box with a seven day warranty.

There were a couple of tools I made to assist getting the clutches apart but no real drama.

The box is a 4L30E Also used in Opel Omega and Senator, BMW and possibly some Hondas

Sorry, just saw the bit about cracked casing. Is it weldable?

Taz
14th June 2009, 13:19
There was a bighorn dumped down kariotahi beach last week. You may need a shovel....

davereid
14th June 2009, 16:21
I rebuilt the auto on my sons V6 petrol Isuzu. Boult a rebuild kit and manual from a place in Las Vegas. Was pretty straight forward and cost around $500.
Pretty good compared to the $1500 a wrecker wanted for a second hand box with a seven day warranty.

There were a couple of tools I made to assist getting the clutches apart but no real drama.

The box is a 4L30E Also used in Opel Omega and Senator, BMW and possibly some Hondas

Sorry, just saw the bit about cracked casing. Is it weldable?

Yes, if necessary, I will fix it. But they are a common truck, I am sure it is just a matter of time till I spot one crashed, or with a blown motor.