PDA

View Full Version : Norton mechanic in Auckland?

peterpan
14th June 2009, 14:22
hi, is there any motor cycle mechanics in auckland that know nortons well?
i'm having issues with my 73 commando, could be timing, could be electrical just dont know. starts and idles fine but wont rev (farts coughs etc). changed the zenor diode out for a regulator/rectifier unit but still no joy.

Blackbird
14th June 2009, 14:39
Sorry to hear about your Commando electrics. I have a friend here in Coromandel who has a concours condition 850 Commando road bike and also races a 910 Combat Commando. He's also a member of the NZ Norton Owners Club. If you haven't found a source of help yet, would you like me to run your query by him to see if he can help or suggest where to go?

Geoff

pete376403
14th June 2009, 16:01
Carburettor problem - idle circuit is seperate from the main jet so if the main is blocked (water, spooge, etc) could cause problem you describe

jellywrestler
14th June 2009, 16:11
try John 4806594 he's great with old bikes

Paul in NZ
14th June 2009, 17:02
Has it still got the amals on it?

Bricks are more complicated, I can send you some sceeds on working on em if you like?

Sidewinder
14th June 2009, 17:10
http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/4mxt/cycle-torque-ltd/

try nic coles dad, he is the best guy in nz!

peterpan
14th June 2009, 18:45
yep still has the amals.i am contemplating going to a single carb conversion to simplify things.

caseye
14th June 2009, 20:04
ring Laurie at Panmure Motorcycles AK. I'm PM ing u the number now.

Motu
14th June 2009, 21:16
yep still has the amals.i am contemplating going to a single carb conversion to simplify things.

I've seen some with twin choke Weber or Dellorto conversions - I always thought that was a good idea,and had a Dellorto ready to put on my Norton,but went for an SU instead....seeing as I had plenty.

pete376403
14th June 2009, 22:29
A single old style Mikuni (round slide) makes as much power as two metered leaks (Amals) and the thing will idle as well. Someone was doing a conversion ket - manifold, carb, air cleaner adapter, etc for them a while ago (quite a while ago actually - Commandos were still in production)

TripleZee Dyno
15th June 2009, 10:32
hi, is there any motor cycle mechanics in auckland that know nortons well?
i'm having issues with my 73 commando, could be timing, could be electrical just dont know. starts and idles fine but wont rev (farts coughs etc). changed the zenor diode out for a regulator/rectifier unit but still no joy.
Did this problem suddenly appear? when was the last time it ran OK?
Single carb conversions are OK if you are racking the miles up but the Amals arent that bad when set up properly.
If you get stuck give us a bell. I've been working on these since they were the latest and greatest.
cheers

Beeza
15th June 2009, 13:42
Amal Concentrics are the easiest carbs to tune and, when new, work extremely well. But, because they were designed to cost ten quid and the body and slide is made from the same zinc alloy, they wear out very, very quickly. Fitting a hard-chromed slide makes it last for 50 000km instead of 5000km. Mikunis and Dellortos are designed to be expensive carbs, built from scratch to last much longer and work in a more sophisticated way, making them harder to tune. They really don't like being pulled apart and re-assembled with the same gaskets and o-rings as you can routinely do with a cheap Amal. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

eelracing
15th June 2009, 14:44
two metered leaks (Amals)

Someone was doing a conversion ket - manifold, carb, air cleaner adapter, etc for them a while ago (quite a while ago actually - Commandos were still in production)

These kits are available still...British Spares in Wellington is your friend.Can still use one of your Amals (metered Leaks,haha now that is classic:laugh:)