PDA

View Full Version : BIker down harbour bridge

sAsLEX
22nd March 2005, 16:13
on way back from uni, lanes 3 and 4 were closed due to accident, black CBR newish was one the back of a truck.

Can bykey cop, speed medic or anyone update on their condition??

Aitch
22nd March 2005, 18:40
Southbound about 3pm. The ambos were looking after someone in the passenger seat of the car,hopefully it was the rider. Couldn't see anyone else obviously injured.

Bounty
22nd March 2005, 18:58
From the newstalk ZB site:

The Auckland Harbour Bridge has been reopened following an accident which has thrown the city's traffic into gridlock.

The crash involving a motorcycle closed two north bound lanes at three o'clock.

Police say traffic is backed up as far south as Greenlane and near all motorway on-ramps in the central city.

Two people have been taken to North Shore Hospital with injuries believed to be serious, but not life-threatening.

My wife heard on Classic hits that a motorcyclist went through the rear window of a car and through the front, and ended up under a car!!!

If true - Bloody Hell!!!!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery :grouphug:

crashe
22nd March 2005, 19:03
If thats true about going threw both windows... then the rider had to have been going at one hell of a speed....
The speed limit on the Auckland Harbour Bridge is 80km...

Hope the rider is ok.

Skyryder
22nd March 2005, 19:26
I was up that way at Christmas. That motorway is bloody dangerous on a bike. Cars to the left cars to the right. Suppose you get use to it. Bloody glad to get to an off ramp. Great stretch of road once over the bridge. Guess the traffic thins out a bit.

Skyryder

Motoracer
22nd March 2005, 19:50
Damn, he's one of my mates.

outlawtorn
22nd March 2005, 19:52
Lets hope that he has a speedy recovery and that everyone involved comes out with only a few scratches.

dangerous
22nd March 2005, 19:59
Damn, he's one of my mates.
Shit man... sorry to hear that keep us posted and all the best

Check your facts and think of family who may read your comments.
Thats a bit harsh man..... some of us arnt as up to speed with things as you.... remember you see that kinda thing most weeks.... crashe may never have seen such a unpleasent thing, so how would she know what damage 80k can do.

avgas
22nd March 2005, 20:05
Shit that sucks motoracer!
best of wishes - hope they dont have to join the ranks of the titanium troop....
as for the both windows thing - sounds like he was riding in the right gear to be able do that.

k14
22nd March 2005, 20:10
Sorry to hear about that MR, keep us posted with how he gets on. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Bounty
22nd March 2005, 20:47
Sorry to hear that MR, wish him all the best mate.

sAsLEX
22nd March 2005, 21:05
can confirm i saw a smashed rear window on a station wagon!!

Hope your mate make a speedy recovery MR!!!!

Motoracer
22nd March 2005, 21:13
Thank you everyone for your concern.

The rider is OK. He is currently undergoing neck surgery because the doctors want to check for any glass debries. Otherwise, they didn't find any significant damage to his body.

Once he has the surgery and stays the night, he will be able to go home from tomorrow.

It doesn't look like he was at fault. He was going home to the shore from the city. He was going at about 80 around the right hander before the bridge and just around the bend, traffic had suddenly stopped which was not visible to him until it was too late. He couldn't brake in time, so he rearended into the back of one of the cars and he did go through the back window and came out of the front window. He has all the protective gear he was wearing to thank for his life and he was very lucky too. Passenger of the car sustained some injuries as well, though not too serious as well.

Thanks again for your concern but there's no need to be worried.

MadDuck
22nd March 2005, 21:14
Sorry to hear about your mate MR...keep us posted

I do have an issue with SpeedMedics response to Crashe. I have NEVER seen anyone doing the speed limit on the bridge in a car or on a bike. Damn I got overtaken by a KBer at 130kms.

It is not presumptious to assume that speed was a factor or travelling too close. Without the full facts (and we never get those) then we make our own judgements be they right or wrong. We dont all work in a profession that makes us experts on speed and velocity. If my brother/mate was going too fast then I for one would say it and hopefully someone would learn from it.

Yes the family may be reading and watching and his mates (as we have discovered with MR). But we need to learn from such incidents.

MD

sAsLEX
22nd March 2005, 21:18
The rider is OK.

thanks for the info MR good to hear they are ok!!!!

enigma51
22nd March 2005, 21:20
Thank you everyone for your concern.

The rider is OK. He is currently undergoing neck surgery because the doctors want to check for any glass debries. Otherwise, they didn't find any significant damage to his body.

Once he has the surgery and stays the night, he will be able to go home from tomorrow.

It doesn't look like he was at fault. He was going home to the shore from the city. He was going at about 80 around the right hander before the bridge and just around the bend, traffic had suddenly stopped which was not visible to him until it was too late. He couldn't brake in time, so he rearended into the back of one of the cars and he did go through the back window and came out of the front window. He has all the protective gear he was wearing to thank for his life and he was very lucky too. Passenger of the car sustained some injuries as well, though not too serious as well.

Thanks again for your concern but there's no need to be worried.

Send my best wishes. Is it someone we know?

Bounty
22nd March 2005, 21:20
[I] My wife heard on Classic hits that a motorcyclist went through the rear window of a car and through the front, and ended up under a car!!!

Holy shit my wife was right! :whistle:

Thanks for the update MR.

Reinforces my decision to give up riding the bike to and from work :brick:

sAsLEX
22nd March 2005, 21:39
It is presumptious to assume anything.. isnt that what the word means?

And you have never seen anyone doing the speed limit on the bridge. I find that hard to believe.

I saw lots going nice and slow today!!!

MadDuck
22nd March 2005, 21:41
How many times I have been nearly run into the barriers on the bridge by speeding drivers I cant count them even when I am doing 100kms. And NO I have never seen anyone obeying the 80kms rule on the bridge. I get tailgated doing the speed limit. HEAPS!

We now KNOW that this particular incident did not invovle speed thank you SpeedMedic for clarifying that. But I feel it is not appropriate to dis a KB member for sharing an opinion

Feel free to trash my opinion. Thats what the site is all about isnt it?

MD

2_SL0
22nd March 2005, 21:52
Glad to hear hes ok. Thought the worst when I heard it on the radio.

Joni
22nd March 2005, 21:53
Glad to hear your mate is going to be OK Sudeep! :yeah:

2_SL0
22nd March 2005, 21:56
double post. :spudwave:

MikeL
22nd March 2005, 22:15
The problem with hidden queues is that unless you are familiar with the road they take you completely by surprise and may provoke a panic reaction. Once years ago I was returning home in the car about 6 pm from the North Shore, and knew from experience that just round the left-hand bend at spaghetti junction the traffic was likely to be at a standstill, even though until just before that point it was free-flowing. I braked and stopped in time, but the woman behind me didn't. The road was wet and she skidded into me. She would not have been exceeding the speed limit at the time. However, she was technically guilty of driving faster than the road conditions allowed, and of not being able to stop within the clear distance ahead. On the other hand if the onus is entirely on the driver, why subsequently have we seen the introduction of "Hidden Queue" warning signs?

Ghost Lemur
22nd March 2005, 22:20
Now that I know the rider is ok I don't feel guilty saying this...

Why didn't anyone get it on film?? That must have looked spectacular to say the least.

Yet another example of good gear being worth more than it's weight in gold.

Glad your mate's ok MR, let him know where all thinking of him. Tell him to join the forum too.

Would be quite good to get a first hand account of what happened, might be some good tips to learn.

Bounty
22nd March 2005, 22:25
Surely it wouldn't be too hard to install a set of orange flashing lights to warn motorists that a hazard exists ahead (tail of a queue, accident, bit of rubbish on the road). Attoms (not sure correct spelling of acronym) monitor cameras on the Auckland motorways surley they could activate a switch that turned the lights on and off. I hear them on the police scanner, and they know whats going on.

sAsLEX
22nd March 2005, 22:28
Surely it wouldn't be too hard to install a set of orange flashing lights to warn motorists that a hazard exists ahead (tail of a queue, accident, bit of rubbish on the road). Attoms (not sure correct spelling of acronym) monitor cameras on the Auckland motorways surley they could activate a switch that turned the lights on and off. I hear them on the police scanner, and they know whats going on.

they have big arse signs appraoching the bridge that warn of things likely to cause disruption like the lane mover truck is in operation, or there is an accident ahead, never seen "hidden Que" though

MadDuck
22nd March 2005, 22:43
can we agree to disagree. Accidents are accidents. They happen and cant be avoided. We can maybe move on? Someone made a bad choice as you do.

I still cant see where dissing people in public for their opinions(ie KB forum)will solve the problem.

FEINT
22nd March 2005, 22:58
I wish the injured biker a speedy recovery. I hope all is well. Take care out there all you bikers :doctor: , I travel along that stretch almost every day. I wouldn't want to be in an accident.

Gixxer 4 ever
22nd March 2005, 23:10
Feck. Pass on the concerns from us all. Heal fast people.

Waylander
22nd March 2005, 23:12
can we agree to disagree. Accidents are accidents. They happen and cant be avoided. We can maybe move on? Someone made a bad choice as you do.

I still cant see where dissing people in public for their opinions(ie KB forum)will solve the problem.

Well actually most accidents can be avoided but what is pointless is hindsight. Accidents, while they may have been avoided, were not and there is nothing we can do to change that but we can learn from them and move on as you suggested. Dissing peaple is something that happens when online (and in person though it seems to happen more online.) though one would hope that, in a place like this one where peaple may actually want to meet in person, it wouldn't happen very often or just be a PT.

Ixion
22nd March 2005, 23:29

They do sometimes. I've seen them use those overhead lights that show which lanes are open to put an orange X in some lanes, which I interpret as lane is open but watch out for hazards. So I slow down.

In my usual nanaish way I always obey the speed limit over the bridge (lots of plod around, and no point taking a chance for the excitement of going over the bridge at 100kph) and my observation is about 50% of the traffic is 80 - 90kph , the rest 100kph or a bit more.

The other nasty hidden queue palce is the motorway on ramp from Stanley street where it bends round to the left to join the motorway proper. Almost came to grief there in the car once, on a wet road. Came round a bit fast, oh shit everybodies stopped, got all crossed up and (literally) sideways, only sorted myself out just in time. Now I nana that corner every time. (real, real scary thing about that one was, I was following my boss! Hitting him would not have been a good career move!)

c4.
22nd March 2005, 23:38
By the holy motorcycle gods, I am glad that rider is alive. :2thumbsup
I have been commuting on that lovely piece of roading filth for too long now.
When I tried (to my disgust) in a cage, to get over the bridge today at 1600, I knew there was something up! :angry2:
When I got to work I found out that a biker had been dealt to??!!! F**k they said his bike was in 2 pieces!!??!! :doctor: I am soooo glad to hear that it wasn't someone killed, and they weren't doing 120 lane splitting.
It is dangerous sh*t playing with AKs MWays. Look once, look twice look three and four f**king times. Never go to sleep on that bas**rd :ar15:
Best wishes to MR's mate. Kia kaha. :done:

NinjaBoy
22nd March 2005, 23:41
Came round a bit fast, oh shit everybodies stopped, got all crossed up and (literally) sideways, only sorted myself out just in time. Now I nana that corner every time.

The only problem is that now you've got that sus'ed, the driver behind you probably hasn't. Got rear ended in the cage a couple of Fridays ago in 10-20km/h rush hour traffic. While I was watching the driver behind wasn't. Towbar took out her car (undrivable after) But what if I was on the bike !!! eeeeck!!!

justsomeguy
22nd March 2005, 23:55
The only problem is that now you've got that sus'ed, the driver behind you probably hasn't. Got rear ended in the cage a couple of Fridays ago in 10-20km/h rush hour traffic. While I was watching the driver behind wasn't. Towbar took out her car (undrivable after) But what if I was on the bike !!! eeeeck!!!

Thats why you are always supposed to maintain 2 seconds of distance between the vehicle in front AND 2 SECONDS BETWEEN YOU AND THE VEHICLE BEHIND. You cannot rely on the vehicle behind to keep a safe distance so if he is tailgating you then you simply keep 4 seconds of breaking distance between you and the car ahead.

Whoever taught you to ride or drive should have hammered that into your brain........ unless you learnt outside Auckland where you are not familiar with our stupidities..

And leave crashe alone.... I'm sure she did not mean anything harmful.

I understand your reaction though SM.... these are sensitive topics that can easily get underestimated.

Sorry to hear that this is one of your mates MR....

I hope he makes a complete recovery. It would be great to meet him and shout him a drink for having survived his ordeal......

Since no one has asked yet..... how is the bike?? And was it a CBR?? which one??

I hope it is NOT A BLUE CBR600

Kind regards and my best wishes

FROSTY
23rd March 2005, 01:26
well i feel for the dude--there but for the grace of god go i---
i ride that road twice a day 6 days a week. -not fun in rush hour.

moggy
23rd March 2005, 03:56
Heck, that sounds like the guy had a really lucky escape. Though sat here in England I am chuckling at the complaints of heavy traffic from everyone. Lack of traffic is one thing that I am looking forward to.
Over here lots of bikers do Advanced training with either IAM or the Police as we know we need eyes in the back of our head and the ability to predict the future to stay alive on some roads. The one accident I ever had was in heavy queuing traffic - one guy obviously didn't leave enough space to brake and decided he would swap into my lane instead. I was darned lucky despite being in the middle lane, rolling into the outside lane and my bike shooting accross into the hard shoulder someone everyone managed to avoid me and the bike.
Queues are bad because unlike other potential accidents, even if you react, there is no where to go to get out of it.

I also feel for the people in the car, having someone fly through the car (espcially not wearing a red cape and underpants on the outside) must have been one scary experience

750Y
23rd March 2005, 06:42
phew!, glad to hear the guy's ok.

Lou Girardin
23rd March 2005, 08:25
How many times I have been nearly run into the barriers on the bridge by speeding drivers I cant count them even when I am doing 100kms. And NO I have never seen anyone obeying the 80kms rule on the bridge. I get tailgated doing the speed limit. HEAPS!

We now KNOW that this particular incident did not invovle speed thank you SpeedMedic for clarifying that. But I feel it is not appropriate to dis a KB member for sharing an opinion

Feel free to trash my opinion. Thats what the site is all about isnt it?

MD

Sorry to disagree Mad Duck, but I travel the bridge twice every day and more on weekends. It is rare to see speeders (more than 100 k's). I'd check my speedo if I was you, you may find it's reading way fast and that's why you're having problems.

jrandom
23rd March 2005, 09:10
... just around the bend, traffic had suddenly stopped which was not visible to him until it was too late. He couldn't brake in time, so he rearended into the back of one of the cars...

This has happened to me at a similar speed differential; I've just switched into filtering mode and ducked up between the cars. I didn't really think about it, I just sort of twitched into lane 2A naturally as the cars rushed up to me.

I suppose if one isn't in the habit of filtering, no option other than panic braking presents itself as an automatic reaction in that situation.

My best wishes to the poor bastard, hope he recovers fully and takes it easy for a while. Glad there were no major injuries.

XP@
23rd March 2005, 09:31
Well actually most accidents can be avoided but what is pointless is hindsight. Accidents, while they may have been avoided, were not and there is nothing we can do to change that but we can learn from them and move on as you suggested. Dissing peaple is something that happens when online (and in person though it seems to happen more online.) though one would hope that, in a place like this one where peaple may actually want to meet in person, it wouldn't happen very often or just be a PT.

Agree!
Tonight I will give a little extra room, I don't want to become the hood ornament of the car in front.

vifferman
23rd March 2005, 09:44
Thats why you are always supposed to maintain 2 seconds of distance between the vehicle in front AND 2 SECONDS BETWEEN YOU AND THE VEHICLE BEHIND. You cannot rely on the vehicle behind to keep a safe distance so if he is tailgating you then you simply keep 4 seconds of breaking distance between you and the car ahead.
It's not really practicable to do that in Dorkland, as someone will go, "Oooh - a gap! That lane must be going faster - I'd better queue jump!"
I had to take my wife into work on Sunday, and even though the traffic was light, there were still heaps of fuckwits swapping lanes erratically, not indicating, following too closely, and just being.. well, fuckwits, I guess.

I always look waaay ahead on the bike (not continuously, just glancing now and again) so I'm aware if there are holdups or whatever. For that reason (and others) I choose not to follow something I can't see past, like a truck, van, big 4WD or bus. And as for people running into the back of me if the traffic slows down, I keep an eye on my mirrors, so if someone behind me is likely to run into me, I can do what jrandom says and just dive between lanes. I also slow down, turn around and glare at anyone who's following to close, and if that doesn't work wave them back or change lanes. I'm not going to rely on others to repsect my safety zone, so if they are getting too close, I make space any way I can.

James Deuce
23rd March 2005, 09:53

There is no such thing as an "accident" in a motor vehicle. A human being either made an error of judgement, performed a selfish action, a malicious action, or a negligent action. They are all avoidable. The road toll will not drop significantly until we stop regarding it as OK to have motor vehicle "accidents". People need to take responsibility for their own contribution to the cause of an "accident". Every motor vehicle accident I've had has been my fault to lesser or greater degree, irrespective of the legal position taken by enforcement agencies.

Motoracer
23rd March 2005, 10:39
Hey dudes, I will let him know about all the great replies and ask him to look at this thread when he can. He is on KB but doesn't post or check in here much. It was a black '04 CBR 1000 RR. Don't know about the damages on the bike yet but I'd imagine fucked forks, buckled wheels etc etc at minimum.

Cheers!

James Deuce
23rd March 2005, 10:45
Hey dudes, I will let him know about all the great replies and ask him to look at this thread when he can. He is on KB but doesn't post or check in here much. It was a black '04 CBR 1000 RR. Don't know about the damages on the bike yet but I'd imagine fucked forks, buckled wheels etc etc at minimum.

Cheers!
He didn't, by chance, happen to have a helmet mounted camera on? That would make for some cool footage!

Make sure you get him to post when he can and let us know how he's doing.

BNZ
23rd March 2005, 11:09
MD

Try getting out of the fast lane? :spudwhat:

Hahaha, na im an aucklander so know what you mean. It can get pretty chaotic during peak hours!

Blackbird
23rd March 2005, 11:30
Jim 2 has made a telling point about "fault". I did an advanced road riders course a couple of years back as I'd never had a peer review and I'm not ashamed to admit that I had more than a few faults to correct. I'm sure I've slipped back again and need to constantly remind myself of a few fundamentals. One of them is the 12 second rule and also fits in with Vifferman's comments. The rule means that you should be scanning ahead for problems/hazards a distance equivalent to what you would cover in 12 seconds at your current speed. :done:

flyin
23rd March 2005, 11:34
hope the rider makes a speedy recovery!!

Woah!! imagine that sitting in a cage in traffic..... screech of brakes then a fully armoured biker flies through the car.............. flag that!!

They have a few hidden Que lights signs round welly, hutt valley, i believe theres a set of orange flashie ones at the start of the terrace tunnel ( i had an incident in a cage on this corner a few yrs back now failing to stop for traffic in the tunnel doing 50 for fun.........)

flyin
23rd March 2005, 11:36
havn't heard the 12 second rule but that sounds plenty sensible. alot like an aeroplane - dont let it take you anywhere your mind hasn't already been 2mins (12sec on a bike) before

Ixion
23rd March 2005, 11:56

Yes, though best to assume that a tailgater is by definition and idiot, and allow some extra for an idiot factor.

The other thing is that I think the 2 second rule assumes the vehicle in FRONT of you is applying it also. If HE is tailgating the vehicle in front of HIM you need to allow extra also - ie you can't rely on him having a stop distance.

All of which is a bit theoretical in Dorkland traffic where Wally will zoom into even a one second gap. :brick:

750Y
23rd March 2005, 12:11
... It was a black '04 CBR 1000 RR. Don't know about the damages on the bike yet but I'd imagine fucked forks, buckled wheels etc etc at minimum.

Cheers!

hmmm i hope it's not who i think it is...

Motoracer
23rd March 2005, 12:13

Na it's not man.

Lias
23rd March 2005, 12:14
If i was that bloke, and I'd just gone through two bloody windscreens my first stop after A&E would be the lotto shop!

FROSTY
23rd March 2005, 12:18
As a rule i do ride as though there are NO sensible riders/drivers

jrandom
23rd March 2005, 13:06

Including yourself? :bleh:

SPman
23rd March 2005, 18:56
All of which is a bit theoretical in Dorkland traffic where Wally will zoom into even a one second gap. :brick:
One second gap! Luxury! From my observation - if a car will actually fit, with , maybe a metre either end, some Dorkus Stupidus Fuckwitus, will attempt to intricate himself therein!

Ixion
23rd March 2005, 19:08
One second gap! Luxury! From my observation - if a car will actually fit, with , maybe a metre either end, some Dorkus Stupidus Fuckwitus, will attempt to intricate himself therein!

Gee there must be just a bunch of nanas when you go out on the muddleway. Fancy needing a metre at each end, the good folks around me only need a centimetre.

Whereupon :

Wally 1 in Lane A "Oh look a gap, I must dive into that" Dives
Wally 2 in Lane B " Oh look , a gap just vacated by that guy ; I must dive into that" Dives.
Wally 3 in Lane A (originally behind Wally1 ) " Oh look a gap in lane B. I must dive into that " Dives
Wally 3 in Lane B (originally behind Wally 2 now behind Wally 1) " Oh look a gap. I must dive into that" Dives
.... Rinse lather repeat all the way back down the queue.

Quite soon all the wallys that were in lane A are in lane B and vice versa. No one has actually made any progress forward.

Sigh.

justsomeguy
23rd March 2005, 21:46
Gee there must be just a bunch of nanas when you go out on the muddleway. Fancy needing a metre at each end, the good folks around me only need a centimetre.

Whereupon :

Wally 1 in Lane A "Oh look a gap, I must dive into that" Dives
Wally 2 in Lane B " Oh look , a gap just vacated by that guy ; I must dive into that" Dives.
Wally 3 in Lane A (originally behind Wally1 ) " Oh look a gap in lane B. I must dive into that " Dives
Wally 3 in Lane B (originally behind Wally 2 now behind Wally 1) " Oh look a gap. I must dive into that" Dives
.... Rinse lather repeat all the way back down the queue.

Quite soon all the wallys that were in lane A are in lane B and vice versa. No one has actually made any progress forward.

Sigh.

:killingme............. this is so true....

I see it all the time everyday..... bunch of fucktards all of em.......:angry2:

moggy
23rd March 2005, 21:56

In the training before taking my test, I was told to ride as if everyone was out to kill you. Pretty good philosophy I think.

Marmoot
23rd March 2005, 23:47

we be thinking of same person eh? :confused:

HDTboy
27th March 2005, 01:42

:stupid:
i agree completely

RDJ
27th March 2005, 22:26

Done already in quite a few countries (esp. when a queue or tailback is likely behind lights which themselves are around a corner) two flashing amber lights with a "Get ready To Stop".