shafty
14th June 2009, 21:42
Is that normal - or a "sign of the times?"

AllanB
14th June 2009, 21:49

Meh - common as muck those bikes:dodge:

Sounds like a lot to me.

I suspect there are a few high-rollers selling their toys.

Or it's a indication of how shit NZ bike sales are and they are being offered crap trade prices by dealers thus hitting Trademe.

Virago
14th June 2009, 21:58
Meh - sounds about right.

There's around 2,000 Suzukis and 2,000 Hondas for sale as well.

shafty
14th June 2009, 22:11
Meh - sounds about right.

There's around 2,000 Suzukis and 2,000 Hondas for sale as well.

I hear what you're saying, but backing out scooters, trail bikes, MX, farm bikes quads etc.......

Molly
14th June 2009, 22:15
Could be due to hard times but also it doesn't help that new HD prices have fallen quite a bit in recent years. Sellers can't get much of a trade in (and often have an inflated idea of their Harley's worth anyway) so it may be that they're trying to sell privately.

I asked one seller if his bike happend to be made of gold. He was asking more than it would've cost new.

Winston001
14th June 2009, 22:45
Ah - so the commonly held belief that HDs hold their value is no longer true...? :doh:

xwhatsit
14th June 2009, 22:50
I hear what you're saying, but backing out scooters, trail bikes, MX, farm bikes quads etc.......
OK, well if we want to play that game, then Honda sportsbikes alone are 403 listings... 69 Honda tourers... 92 Honda cruisers... 54 Honda classics. 618 total. Where's the figures for bike sales again? Honda and Harley are right up the top, aren't they, pretty close? And that's not including the numerous adventure bikes like Africa twins etc.

So it sounds about right. Maybe slightly on the high side -- probably something to do with winter. One could guess many Harleys -- or cruisers in general -- are bought as `weekend toys' for summer and get flicked off at the end of the so-called riding season. At least from using my own eyes on my daily commute, it seems most Harley riders don't use their bike to do the rain-or-shine-ride-to-work thing (mostly GN250s, scooters, chook-chasers and ancient naked Suzuki multis that do that!). So a swell in Harley listings about now is probably normal.

Motu
14th June 2009, 23:33
I still see more Harleys out on the road - every day,rain or shine....and have done since the early '90's.Definately the most ridden bike.Not weekend cruisers from what I have seen.

cynna
14th June 2009, 23:35
the used jap import harleys have dropped the nz new prices down a bit...

James Deuce
14th June 2009, 23:35
I rode this thing:
http://kiwiridermagazine.blogspot.com/2009/06/jim-walsh-hog-flu.html

to work and was well impressed by it's commuting capabilities. Lane splitting was no drama and the glorious noise forced gaps in lane 1a that were unexpected.

Holding value is always relative the current new price. A Dyna that goes for mid-twenties new now when it used to be low thirties is going to hit second hand prices. I'm probably not ever going to sell my Zed, simply to avoid the indignity of seeing GSX750Fs from the same year selling for more money while Z750S Tradmeadverts languish and expire.

wysper
15th June 2009, 07:26

To know if it is a sign of the times, you would need to know how many were being sold a couple of years ago (or whenever our economic peak was).

awayatc
15th June 2009, 07:45
a sign of what....?

What sort of sign is it when somebody goes counting numbers of items for sale on an internet auction site?

sidecar bob
15th June 2009, 07:54
a sign of what....?

What sort of sign is it when somebody goes counting numbers of items for sale on an internet auction site?

A sign of boredom?? dunno, just guessing.

Hinny
15th June 2009, 07:56
To know if it is a sign of the times, you would need to know how many were being sold a couple of years ago (or whenever our economic peak was).

Our economic peak was arguably October last year.
Best Balance of Trade figures for the last thirty years.

MIXONE
15th June 2009, 08:13
Makes you wonder eh what's easier to get rid of.A case of herpes or......

White trash
15th June 2009, 08:19
Always heaps of HDs on Tradme. Always has been as well.

It's because they enjoy such a strong market new. The used ones have gotta go somewhere.

xwhatsit
15th June 2009, 11:30
I still see more Harleys out on the road - every day,rain or shine....and have done since the early '90's.Definately the most ridden bike.Not weekend cruisers from what I have seen.
You reckon? Maybe they just have the good sense to stay out of the city.

peasea
15th June 2009, 15:48
OK, well if we want to play that game, then Honda sportsbikes alone are 403 listings... 69 Honda tourers... 92 Honda cruisers... 54 Honda classics. 618 total. Where's the figures for bike sales again? Honda and Harley are right up the top, aren't they, pretty close? And that's not including the numerous adventure bikes like Africa twins etc.

So it sounds about right. Maybe slightly on the high side -- probably something to do with winter. One could guess many Harleys -- or cruisers in general -- are bought as `weekend toys' for summer and get flicked off at the end of the so-called riding season. At least from using my own eyes on my daily commute, it seems most Harley riders don't use their bike to do the rain-or-shine-ride-to-work thing (mostly GN250s, scooters, chook-chasers and ancient naked Suzuki multis that do that!). So a swell in Harley listings about now is probably normal.

I do and some days recently have been pretty damned cold. Cold enough to suffer carb icing but I fixed that.

Finn
15th June 2009, 16:01
The used ones have gotta go somewhere.

Well they don't fucken go around corners.

marty
15th June 2009, 16:18
i make it 382

xwhatsit
15th June 2009, 16:21
I do and some days recently have been pretty damned cold. Cold enough to suffer carb icing but I fixed that.
Us poverty-stricken, oppressed and undervalued don't have a choice -- either our humble motorsickles or the bus :shifty:

Carb icing... take one freshly killed hare. Gut, and wrap the still-warm entrails around the carb venturi. Reuse carcass as boot-covers.

Finn
15th June 2009, 16:28
i make it 382

Bloody popular too!

scumdog
15th June 2009, 16:49

Of course they do - even if it IS spinning on their side in a shower of (expensive) sparks!!!:doh:

scumdog
15th June 2009, 16:50

Haven't managed to fix that problem yet - maybe it's colder down here or soemthing.

peasea
15th June 2009, 17:27
Haven't managed to fix that problem yet - maybe it's colder down here or soemthing.

What have you done to attempt the fix? All it takes is warm air.

98tls
15th June 2009, 17:47
Of course they do - even if it IS spinning on their side in a shower of (expensive) sparks!!!:doh: :stupid:........................

peasea
15th June 2009, 18:05

Do too, do too, do too. Nyah.:bleh:

Zoolander
15th June 2009, 18:20
Ah - so the commonly held belief that HDs hold their value is no longer true...? :doh:

No worse than Ducatis - used ones are worth 2 tenths of f**k all these days i'm afraid.

6ft5
15th June 2009, 18:45

So that is why the roads in NZ have corners and lots of Harley so they can't ride them??????? GET A PERM BUDDY

AllanB
15th June 2009, 18:54

Eh - Harley riders have Herpes???????

Motu
15th June 2009, 19:10
You reckon? Maybe they just have the good sense to stay out of the city.

The latte types will be in the city,most are out on real roads.Main roads are not my ideal - but sit anywhere on SH1 for a whole day,and you will see more Harleys than any other brand.Unless of course the BMW Owners Club,or Honda Riders Club go past.I work on SH1 - I know what bikes go past my door.

peasea
15th June 2009, 19:34
The latte types will be in the city,most are out on real roads.Main roads are not my ideal - but sit anywhere on SH1 for a whole day,and you will see more Harleys than any other brand.Unless of course the BMW Owners Club,or Honda Riders Club go past.I work on SH1 - I know what bikes go past my door.

Don't forget SH6! I use it everyday. (Could do with a bit work here and there too....)

Molly
15th June 2009, 19:42

Shit no. Once upon a time there'd be a two-to-three year waiting list for some models. The Fat Bob is a popular new model and they're available in around five months (mine was a cancelled order I couldn't resist).

Don't see that it matters. Lower prices mean better value for money. It's not like you might encounter the same pressure to upgrade as you would with, say, a GSXR.

BIG DOUG
15th June 2009, 22:07
Okay have to agree on the rocker,didn't think I would like it but shit it was comfortable and enjoyed every minute of it,as for going around corners my xr 1200 does it pretty well and it gets ridden every day rain hail or shine and has just clicked over 9000kms since the 13 jan.

Finn
16th June 2009, 09:18
So that is why the roads in NZ have corners and lots of Harley so they can't ride them??????? GET A PERM BUDDY

There's two things you should probably know about me.

1. I own a Harley.
2. I'm bald.

peasea
16th June 2009, 15:15

1. I own a Harley.
2. I'm bald.

It's "there ARE two things" as 'things' denotes plural.

I'm going bald so I shave my head. Zero maintenance.

Finn
16th June 2009, 15:18
It's "there ARE two things" as 'things' denotes plural.

I'm going bald so I shave my head. Zero maintenance.

There's three things then.

peasea
16th June 2009, 16:22
There's three things then.

There are none so blind...............

AD345
16th June 2009, 19:01
There are none so blind...............

....as those with no eyes

Molly
16th June 2009, 19:04
1. I own a Harley.
2. I'm bald.

I hear ya... :-(

Re. carb icing. They'll sell you some 'Winter Idle Boost' to cure that. Just a wee cap full in each full tank and the problem disappears.

peasea
16th June 2009, 19:18
I hear ya... :-(

Re. carb icing. They'll sell you some 'Winter Idle Boost' to cure that. Just a wee cap full in each full tank and the problem disappears.

My cure might be slightly less attractive but it cost practically nothing and I can use it winter after winter.

6ft5
16th June 2009, 20:30

1. I own a Harley.
2. I'm bald.

Well congratulations, you have seen the light then welcome to the club

gunrunner
16th June 2009, 20:47

You must be my neighbour ..... :2guns:

Gibbo13p
16th June 2009, 20:55
:stupid:........................

thats only one of a series of pics isn't it? the last one hes got both wheels off the ground and not going around the corner anymore...so:third:

MIXONE
16th June 2009, 21:09
You must be my neighbour ..... :2guns:

Yeah if it wasn't so dark here I would probably be able to see you!

Indiana_Jones
20th June 2009, 19:05
I think one reason a fair few BMWs, Triumphs & Harley's end up on Tardme with a few km's on them is because a lot of born again bikers buy them, and then decide it's not what it was like back then or don't ride it enough etc.

They tend to go for those brands as there's some crazy idea that they have more mana then Jappas :confused:

Though for most of them I think the mrs makes them sell it lol

-Indy