PDA

View Full Version : Hinkley Bonnies, Thruxton, Scramblers

Indiana_Jones
15th June 2009, 12:36
Who here owns or has owned one of these machines?

Just wondering what you think of them etc.

Just doing some research into what I might want next

Cheers

-Indy

icekiwi
15th June 2009, 12:52
Took a new Bonnie for a test ride the other day..
Very agricultural...
Was left a little disapointed...

Indiana_Jones
15th June 2009, 12:54
How so?

Just trying to get the pros and cons etc

-Indy

tri boy
15th June 2009, 13:36
Heavy, slow, ponderous.
Until you learn to ride them.
F**king great fun.
Simple motorcycling.

Also solid as an anvil, will still be going strong after 250 000kms+
Cons, very average original suspension. Bin it and fit good after market shocks and springs/emulators to the forks.

Indiana_Jones
15th June 2009, 16:51
Sounds like a nanna machine.

Perfect for me!

-Indy

Voltaire
15th June 2009, 17:47
How about this.
I own one and after 22 years are in no hurry to part with mine.
Plenty of mid range power and the best sounding exhaust.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=222712290

or if thats too old how about one of these?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-223463261.htm

Had mine for a year and its great.

I do like the Thruxtons though.....

Indiana_Jones
15th June 2009, 17:55
lol trying to flog your goods off?

Nice effort!

-Indy

Voltaire
15th June 2009, 18:19
lol trying to flog your goods off?

Nice effort!

-Indy

they are sample photos not mine....sell the bevel....never!!!!!
the two Triumph projects would go first..... :eek:

Big Dave
15th June 2009, 18:23
http://kiwiridermagazine.blogspot.com/2009/06/bd-and-sunshine-bad.html

modboy
15th June 2009, 20:23
I have a thruxton ordered at Motorad Wellington, looking forward to taking delivery mid/late July. Got some Ohlins rear shocks in customs now (from Brett at NewBonneville) and it's getting pimped with Arrow 2 into 1 pipes.

Currently on a vespa so it should be a fun upgrade. Will post up a pic when I pick it up... (sleepless nights until then)

bshadbolt
15th June 2009, 21:44
I've got a Thrux, amongst other bikes. The Thrux is a great bike, the latest come with risers and regular handlebars no more clip-ons. The stock suspension is not great, but can be easily upgraded at modest cost.

They definitely benefit from better, air filter, exhaust and rejet - like Harley's you have to pay the 'tax'. In stock form they are a bit quiet, slow to wind up and lack a bit of power.

Remember, they are a retro styled parallel twin - they will never handle or perform like a modern inline four.

But I've found mine to be great fun, gets lots of stares and inquiries and very reliable.

Cheers,

Brett

Gareth51
15th June 2009, 21:50
Bonniegood

SDU
15th June 2009, 22:37
Took the new Thruxton for a day ride from chch -Kaikoura & back. Sweet ride, found it light & easy to handle. I'm now awaiting to get funds to buy one

Big Dave
15th June 2009, 23:11
Where does one await such funds and can you save me a spot?

nutjob
16th June 2009, 01:26
I have an 05 Thrux which I have had for a nearly a year now - absolutley love it! In stock form I feel it is a little underpowered, but it is a blast to ride. It is never going to be a sport bike, but scraping the footpegs around the back roads leaves me felling like Rossi. The old school technology means for me it is a real "hands on" bike, which has given me the courage to pull things to pieces and swap or modify them - I would never have dreamed of touching anything on my Ducati!

So far I have...
*upgraded the rear suspension to Ikon 7610 shocks
*made a custom rear fender with new LED lights
*taken off and polished all the engine covers
*made new speedo & tacho cups out of thermos lids (true!!!)
*Had new wider rear rim laced to stock hub (so I can run big sportbike rubber)
*Installed British customs airbox removal kit and Predator exhausts
*Lowered gauges and swapped ignition to right hand side
*Changed to 19 tooth front sprocket
*Fitted Rizoma reservoir.... bla bla bla - I could go on forever!

*I currently have the head off being ported/polished/flowed and have ordered new high comp pistons and new 813 cams from TPUSA - hopefully I will have everything back together in about 6 weeks. After a re-jet and assuming I hav'nt buggered anything up too much, all this should give me about a 30% increase in RWHP

Anyway all that shit aside, basically it is a bike you can modify the hell out of to make it your own, or just ride it the way it is! Either way, if you are thinking about getting one, you wont regret it!

SARGE
16th June 2009, 07:23
Who here owns or has owned one of this machines?

Cheers

-Indy

indy .. get over to Deus Ex Machina in the Auckland CBD ( 90 Wellesly St West shed 5) and have a coffee..

thank me later

Indiana_Jones
16th June 2009, 12:31
Well thanks for all the input guys.

I'll have to take a Bonnie and Thruxton for a test ride sometime

-Indy

popelli
16th June 2009, 18:09
For my money I would have one of the Triumph Thunderbirds with the 900 triple motor, a far better bike that was dropped to make room for the retro Bonnie

peasea
16th June 2009, 18:29
Who here owns or has owned one of these machines?

Cheers

-Indy

Got a 900 Thunderbird in the shed, not strictly mine but there for the use of. It's my partner's brother's. Goes well enough, was a bit tricky to start at first but the more use it's had and the more familiar I have become with it, the easier things have been. Thirsty beast.

It's a bit 'revvy' for me but I ride a Wideglide, so revs aren't often part of my riding equation. It's smooth and oil tight, light clutch and pretty good gearbox. naturally way smoother than the HD but I thought for a 96 bike it could be better. My nephew had a T'bird Sp[ort that I thought was smoother so it's probably just this machine. 2nd to 1st is a bit of a niggle at times. The monoshock gave up last Dec but the new one has transformed the ride, for the better.

Overall? I think it's good value for money. At 30,000kms it was just over eight grand, great condition generally, so.....yeah.

peasea
16th June 2009, 18:34
Pic for reference.

SDU
16th June 2009, 21:11
Where does one await such funds and can you save me a spot?

still waiting for a money tree to grow but I don't seem to have the green thumb<_<

or somebody can buy my bike

Big Dave
16th June 2009, 23:36
<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAvhT2lI55M&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAvhT2lI55M&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

SARGE
16th June 2009, 23:43
i actually wouldnt mind finding a Norton Commando

Indiana_Jones
17th June 2009, 00:04
I wouldn't say no if anyone gave me an old Triumph, BSA or Norton.

But I wouldn't by one at this stage of my life (can only afford one machine and thus can't afford for it to be off the road all the time lol)

My grandfather used to own a speed twin. Wish I had seen it!

-Indy

Voltaire
17th June 2009, 07:36

+1 ....however I'd need to find 10-15K first.
one sold on TM last week for under 7K....bargain.
I do however have a Norvill fairing, saving up for a tank next.:innocent:

Dodgyiti
17th June 2009, 07:55

20 years ago my mate had a full Dunstall 920 in yellow kinda like the picture you posted, kick starter was the only bitch about it. Other than that I lusted after it. What a bike! The sound and the grunt, plus it had triple discs :yes:
He traded it in on a Mk5 Lemans (now owned by a good mate up norf) which was the first Guzzi I rode, the rest is history but I would swap my beloved Mk1 for that Dunstall tomorrow if I could...:bye:

Voltaire
17th June 2009, 11:13
20 years ago my mate had a full Dunstall 920 in yellow kinda like the picture you posted, kick starter was the only bitch about it. Other than that I lusted after it. What a bike! The sound and the grunt, plus it had triple discs :yes:
He traded it in on a Mk5 Lemans (now owned by a good mate up norf) which was the first Guzzi I rode, the rest is history but I would swap my beloved Mk1 for that Dunstall tomorrow if I could...:bye:

would you have to change you name to Dodgiepom then.???:gob:

SARGE
17th June 2009, 17:24
here ya go Indy ...just like Steve Mcqueen rode

even named after you

sels1
17th June 2009, 17:47
Indy
The Bonnie - I dont own one yet but have ridden quite a few. They are good fun. Classic British motorcycling - you could have one for years and it will never go out of style. Not the fastest thing around and aftermarket shocks will improve them but in the right hands they can get along pretty smartly on the windy roads and hills. And very versitile too - good for easy touring and ok on gravel roads, and also a good commuter.

Dodgyiti
17th June 2009, 20:59
would you have to change you name to Dodgiepom then.???:gob:

Nah, how about GameyKipper?

Oh yeah, this thread is about Thruxtons, had one for a year, loved it. Not fast but keeping the licence has a lot going for it too. Really nippy around town and good commuter because of that and it's a really narrow bike. I had real raunchy pipes on mine that shot 4 inches of blue flame on the over run- too cool at night.
Only draw back is the tiny fuel tank giving a range of 180 ish km

Indiana_Jones
17th June 2009, 21:09
Nice Indian Sarge! McQueen was the man!

And yea, I'm a bit on the fence between the Thruxton and the Bonnie if I were to get one.

pretty much the same thing I guess save a few tweaks lol

I know they're not speed demons, but they'd do a ton (MPH ton that is) and that's more then I'd ever need.

I only ride my D600 at 130 tops!

Also has to be a good commuter too, which these bikes look more then happy to do.

What's the fuel useage like?

-Indy

SDU
17th June 2009, 22:02
Oh yeah, this thread is about Thruxtons,
Only draw back is the tiny fuel tank giving a range of 180 ish km

:gob: I might have to put the guzzi tank on one;)

HenryDorsetCase
22nd June 2009, 22:32
Heavy, slow, ponderous.
Until you learn to ride them.
F**king great fun.
Simple motorcycling.

Also solid as an anvil, will still be going strong after 250 000kms+
Cons, very average original suspension. Bin it and fit good after market shocks and springs/emulators to the forks.

concur.

I bought a second hand one rather than a new one because I knew I would immediately be binning the OEM shocks and getting the forks done.

It is NOT a sports bike, or even that "sporty" a bike. I bought mine because I didnt want a cruiser, and wanted something good on gravel roads. Tick on both counts.

Fun at legal and just over speeds, stable and not bad cornering. Looks grand. Wil sound better when I put my thunderbike mufflers on.

I think I will be keeping it even if I do buy a more sporty bike: its so simple and user friendly, and you can just chuck on your Davida helmet, old jacket, and bop about on it. (You know its compulsory to buy a Davida helmet, right?)

I like mine a lot. Not that big a fan of the OEM front tyre (but its still road legal after 10000 km!!)

FUN to ride. You arent intimidated by riding sedately on the road. Ive done (and been done by) the sports bike LETS GO HARD OUT ALL THE TIME thing. the problem with sports bikes isnt the bikes, its the fact that if you hit the revlimiter in first gear, you are over 100k, you get pinged over 140 you get to walk home, and on NZ roads sportsbikes are utterly wasted. Plus theres the 140k thing as well.

Ive seen more scenery and interesting little bits of stuff 50 k from where I live in the last few scrambler rides than I did in years of sprotbiking.

Oh yeah, fun to ride.

HenryDorsetCase
22nd June 2009, 22:33
Well thanks for all the input guys.

I'll have to take a Bonnie and Thruxton for a test ride sometime

-Indy

yes, yes you should.

those Bonnie SE's are f*******n cool.

Indiana_Jones
23rd June 2009, 00:33
yes, yes you should.

those Bonnie SE's are f*******n cool.

lol Thanks for the above post, pretty informative :)

Well I'm gonna do the sports bike thing for the time being, to see if it's what I fancy or not, then go from there.

But if not, then I know where I wanna head.

At least I have a Triumph at the moment and that makes me a very happy chappy!

-Indy

HenryDorsetCase
23rd June 2009, 09:50
675 or Speed Triple. or something .............. other (and lesser.... ;) )

Indiana_Jones
23rd June 2009, 23:25
675 or Speed Triple. or something .............. other (and lesser.... ;) )

lol Well the speed/street triple is on the radar, if I don't go for modern classic for my next ride, it'll end up being one of those two.

But the Daytona 600 is gonig good for the moment, couldn't ask for a bigger 600 :)

-Indy