PDA

View Full Version : 1st drop (in public anyway).

BevanPT
15th June 2009, 13:51
4.30ish on Friday arvo I'm cutting through Te Atatu to get to Henderson. Come up to the roundabout at intersection of Edmonton and Gt North Rd and traffic is backed down Te Atatu Rd back to the NW Motorway. I'm wanting to turn right onto Edmonton and find the traffic blocking the roundabout.

No worries, I'm on a bike. Shouldn't be a problem, there's plenty of room. So... travel round the left hand side of the stopped traffic. Exit onto Edmonton is blocked because of the red light 20 metres from the roundabout so cage has left a gap for traffic (coming from my left) to keep going straight through.

I come to the head of the queue and observe the situation. It's wet and gridlocked so taking it real slow. See that there is plenty of room for me to still exit the roundabout even if the light's still red. Two lanes travelling from my left and the car in the far lane stops. Car in the other lane is braking, slowing down and is stopping. I'm about to come to a complete stop at this point, that's how slow I'm going. Seeing the traffic stopped (they have to give way to me and the cages) I start to accelerate when suddenly the car closest to me stomps on the gas pedal. I have slow motion images now of me being in front of the car as we meet. I immediately grab the front brake, the car passes inches in front of me and next minute I'm lying on my side and picking my bike up from the asphalt.

Fricken wet, road camber etc meant that the nose just slipped from under me. Only cosmetic damage and bruised ego so lucky on that point. :doh:

Not going to say I'm blameless, I should have come to a complete stop and made sure that the traffic was giving way rather than making the assumption that they were. But fuck me, it's a fricken roundabout and you give way to your right no matter the circumstances.

Kemet
15th June 2009, 16:09
I feeling ya, man!!!!!!

My first low-side was similar... kinda....

Was wet out
at lights - standard intersection
I'm turning right
I had right of way
Git on other side of intersection turning left into same lane
I'm only a bike - not worth giving way to
I'm already turning when I realise he aint stopping:pinch:
"f***ing mother f***er f***ing.............":mad::mad:
Fuck me!! How did I get down here!!:(
"f***ing mother f***er f***ing............. you were supposed to give way to me you F***ing...." (I think you get the idea):mad::mad::mad:

oh yeah... this was at night too

The nice thing in it all was that a pedestrian came over and helped me pick my baby up off the ground.
About the only time wearing L-plates was useful.....

p.dath
15th June 2009, 16:26
Just remember it is only legal to overtake on the right hand side (plus you need to be indicating). You can get a ticket for over taking on the left.

pzkpfw
15th June 2009, 17:19
Just remember it is only legal to overtake on the right hand side (plus you need to be indicating). You can get a ticket for over taking on the left.

You're in Auckland, England?

[ http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roadcode/about-driving/passing.html ]

p.dath
15th June 2009, 18:01
You're in Auckland, England?

[ http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roadcode/about-driving/passing.html ]

Thanks for refreshing me on that. :-)

In most cases, you can not pass on the left like you can on the right. Unless it is a two lane round-a-bout, you can't pass on the left hand side.

cowboyz
15th June 2009, 18:12
it also says you are allowed to pass on the left if the traffic is stopped so good for getting in front of a queue.

TBH I never pass on the left. Just doesnt feel right.

YellowDog
15th June 2009, 18:26
Farkin annoying at such low speed.

Sudden stops are never easy. No need to panic, the car doesn't want to scratch his paint.

Good luck.

p.dath
15th June 2009, 18:37
it also says you are allowed to pass on the left if the traffic is stopped so good for getting in front of a queue.

TBH I never pass on the left. Just doesnt feel right.

Well, that's a thin line. If you want to read it that strictly then as soon as the traffic moves again then your breaking the law. You could only move while the traffic was not moving.

Easier to just play it safe, IMHO. But to each their own. Just don't hurt anyone else. :-)

Thani-B
15th June 2009, 20:37
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Cosmetic damage be much to fix?

BevanPT
16th June 2009, 13:33
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Cosmetic damage be much to fix?

Shouldn't be much of an issue. Already adjusted the mirror back to where it should be. A mate bent the foot brake back into place as well. Never repaired the indicator cover from an old drop (lense is good, only back cover broken) so no further damage there. One of the gauge covers has come loose but bike is due for a WOF and service so I'll get it looked at then. Other than that, only minor scrapes.