PDA

View Full Version : Boi racers, bikes and pedestrians - Ak City Council has gone bonkers

paturoa
15th June 2009, 20:22
Check out this lunacy.

I'd hate to be a cop - how the fuck would they police this lot.

Combine blind pedestrians (some with prams), boi racers, fuck nuckle scooter riders and the Mormon Few............. into one space.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10578461

Thani-B
15th June 2009, 20:31
Its nuts. They expect Jafa's to not run down pedestrians?

Skyryder
16th June 2009, 11:45
Well what do you expect from John Banks......some sembalnce of intelligence??:jerry:
\

Skyryder

The Pastor
16th June 2009, 11:46
it will work great

slofox
16th June 2009, 11:49
Well what do you expect from John Banks......some sembalnce of intelligence??:jerry:
\

Skyryder

+1 on that Skyrider...

Cheshire Cat
16th June 2009, 12:19
This should be interesting :laugh:

Sketchy_Racer
16th June 2009, 12:27
Suckers.

What's one dumb* auckland pedestrians mowed down by a vehicle? A problem

What's two dumb* auckland pedestrians mowed down by a vehicle? Still a problem

What's all the dumb* predestrians in auckland mowed down by vehicles? Problem solved.

(* smart people wouldn't get mowed down, or in some cases wouldn't live in auckland)

R6_kid
16th June 2009, 13:04
This already happens everyday all around Auckland University. The amount of students that have decided they have the right to walk on the road, straight in front of moving vehicles amazes me. I've even had to stop at green lights to wait for students to cross, and usually more tag along behind them too.

Part of me thinks that designated 'shared' roads would be a good thing. In all likeliness motorists will probably avoid the roads where possible, and hopefully it will teach uneducated drivers a little bit about spatial awareness and driving with a little bit of courtesy when they do use them.

PirateJafa
16th June 2009, 13:25

People have been expecting that from me for years.

Still hasn't happened to date.

Ramming SPEED!

MattRSK
16th June 2009, 13:28
"understanding that personal responsibility is something we all need to have"

Haha good luck with that.

McWild
16th June 2009, 13:52
Hmm that's odd... the date on my computer says 16th June...

April fools isn't in June!

idb
16th June 2009, 13:59
It works in places overseas.
In one town in Germany they even took out the traffic signs.
Doesn't anyone have any faith in Auckland motorists?

Hidalgo
16th June 2009, 14:01
The saddest part is that, Auckland council never come up with there own comtemporary ideas, which will meet need of aucklanders.
Instead they try to copy something from holland, netherland and other european countries. Its totally different culture.

peasea
16th June 2009, 16:30

That's actually pretty funny dude.
No, it's fuckin' funny.:laugh:

jono035
16th June 2009, 18:15
The saddest part is that, Auckland council never come up with there own comtemporary ideas, which will meet need of aucklanders.
Instead they try to copy something from holland, netherland and other european countries. Its totally different culture.

Yeah, there were a couple of cities in Europe where they tried a similar thing... They took away all the kerbs, just leaving small hollows for drainage. They were trying to get both pedestrians and motorists to realise that a kerb doesn't offer any protection, so motorists would slow down and pedestrians would be more vigilant... As I recall it worked quite well, improved pedestrian safety and slowed traffic by a considerable amount...

And as you said, they're going to do the same thing expecting the same result and then act surprised when a boy racer parks on top of their grandma during a crap attempt at a burnout. A kiwi equivalent to the autobahn over here would be a gigantic death trap...

BiK3RChiK
16th June 2009, 18:55

PMSL That's hilarious!:rofl:

PrincessBandit
16th June 2009, 19:01
Great, one more reason to get out of Aucks asap! Thank goodness my trips into the "city" are as few and far between as I can make them.

Skyryder
16th June 2009, 19:04
Mind you the positive side of this is that you can park on the footpath or right next to the table while you are sipping your latte.

Truth be on this Banks just wants to be seen on his Harley.

Skyryder

Brett
16th June 2009, 19:05
Am I the only one who thinks that this is a great idea and will add an awesome sense of culture to that part of the city?

jono035
16th June 2009, 19:11
Am I the only one who thinks that this is a great idea and will add an awesome sense of culture to that part of the city?

I think it's a great idea if it works... it's not like those inner city streets really carry any traffic anyway, and at 50km it's a little dangerous...

I just don't think it's going to work...

PirateJafa
16th June 2009, 19:11
It will be a great idea if it works.

I agree wiith Skyryder - being able to park your motorbike a metre away from your table at a cafe will be great - you get the showoff factor as well as unbeatable security. Win!

carver
16th June 2009, 19:53
C

Combine blind pedestrians (some with prams), boi racers, fuck nuckle scooter riders and the Mormon Few............. into one space.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10578461

we ride on the pavement anyways

i did some scooter style riding on the gixxer recently

Brett
16th June 2009, 19:57
It will be a great idea if it works.

I agree wiith Skyryder - being able to park your motorbike a metre away from your table at a cafe will be great - you get the showoff factor as well as unbeatable security. Win!

Yay for poser points, I didnt think about that :)

paturoa
16th June 2009, 20:02

Nope - but you may be the only one that thinks my beloved city isn't full of retards that would ...

PirateJafa
16th June 2009, 20:02
Yay for poser points, I didnt think about that :)

Psst... you can't pose with a gixxer, mate. It's like owning a BMW or Commodore - technically it's fast, but every middle-aged man has one. ;)

Except for Chrislost, that was a impressive gixxer!

caseye
16th June 2009, 20:09
Mad I tell ya, Mad! It can't work.They can't believe for a heart beat that Dorklanders ( cheers for that Bikerchick) will respect walking victims Um, I mean pedsestrians.

6ft5
16th June 2009, 20:17
Man what can you say, mixing all types of traffic....what's with that? How am I going to be able to make mistakes, oops, speed or do a wheely....bugger my bike doesn't do those, hmmm....don't think it will work personall. :done:

vindy500
16th June 2009, 20:31
it might work in europe, but then they dont have retarded new zealand drivers...

6ft5
16th June 2009, 20:33
yep found that out the hard way too

skidMark
16th June 2009, 21:04
with all the fuckwit drivers in auckland... this is going to end badly...all this money they put into road safety....then do this....

i think ill go "have a word"

sosman
16th June 2009, 22:06
Only a Toss pot would want to ride there bike threw town(no foot path area's)when there's other places you could be riding instead,unless yr only interested in doing rolling stoppies towards pedestrians...then its all good:Punk:

Badjelly
16th June 2009, 23:03
Warning, Will Robinson, this is a duplicate thread. See

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=101464

I like the original better.

jono035
17th June 2009, 05:52
Isn't it "Danger, Will Robinson"?

Chrislost
17th June 2009, 08:07

I thought that was what was expected of me? Thats why i got bullbars!

I have not had much luck however, im only sitting on 30 points so far...

Badjelly
17th June 2009, 09:22
Isn't it "Danger, Will Robinson"?

Yeah, I know, but I thought that a duplicate thread on Kiwibiker, however bothersome, doesn't quite qualify as dangerous.

Did you know that the phrase "Danger, Will Robinson" was said only once (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger,_Will_Robinson) on Lost in Space? This was during episode 11 of season 3, "The Deadliest of the Species".

motorbyclist
17th June 2009, 16:06
i might just say that while it works overseas, overseas they also have driver training.

having on many occasions had to ride around the city on a scooter hauling a trailer, i can safely say the proposed plan would probably work on those one way streets like high street where is is practically the case anyway. BUT....

pedestrians in auckland are retarded. as is 90% of the traffic. i forsee a lot of bruised shins, angry drivers, scratched paint and pedestrians complaining about diesel fumes.

but what do we expect from auckland city council? they solve conjestion by making roads like queen street so slow and impractical the traffic is forced to use other roads, even at 1am on a weeknight. obviously this isn't all too bad idea if queen st didn't cut the cbd in half, and they aren't taking the same approach to every other road in the CBD. seriously, these wankers need to be put in the life of an actual aucklander; trying to get from a to b and being thwarted at every step, while their interview/lecture/appointment/meeting/bus/ferry/train/job starts without them.

the whole point of roads are to transport goods/people. if the roads fail to do that the people and businesses they service will suffer. sitting outside having a coffee is all nice nd good, but if it takes an hour to get there no-one will bother

and for posing with your bike:
do you honestly think they'll (legally) let you park there? hell no! not a car at any rate, otherwise it'd become one giant parking lot. this is the council that values trees and buslanes over parking (actual statement on their website)

motorbyclist
17th June 2009, 16:08
oh, and a protip for anyone riding along queen st:

the other night i had to stop by a mate's apartment building to borrow some notes. turns out that if you ride down the footpath rather than the road, it is not only faster, but your bike doesn't overheat either.

this was at midnight on a wednesday.

jono035
17th June 2009, 16:59
Yeah, I know, but I thought that a duplicate thread on Kiwibiker, however bothersome, doesn't quite qualify as dangerous.

Did you know that the phrase "Danger, Will Robinson" was said only once (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger,_Will_Robinson) on Lost in Space? This was during episode 11 of season 3, "The Deadliest of the Species".

I wasn't 100% sure as only know the quote as a quote! There are a few oddball quotes like that floating around though. My particular favourite is the often misquoted Simpsons line 'My eyes, the goggles do nothing!'. Small things that have stuck long after the memory of the context has faded...

skidMark
17th June 2009, 17:51

What, roadkill pedestrians?...

Kwakajack
17th June 2009, 17:59
People have been expecting that from me for years.

Still hasn't happened to date.

Ramming SPEED!

The thing is, what works well in major cities in Europe and the US probably will not work here. There has been too much segregation of peds and cages for so long now that to intermingle the two will result in cargnage. Many small towns as well as the ancient market centres in Europe and in the UK have had this kind of integrated setup for generations before cars so avoidance at slow speeds is normal. That, and peds are not as quick in reality to clear out of the way of an oncoming speeding cage like they are in the movies. The lack of driving skill on NZ roads, and the lack of awareness of peds will doom this idea, to the pile of well-meaning but fucked up ideas that have gone before.

paturoa
17th June 2009, 18:44
Warning, Will Robinson, this is a duplicate thread. See

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=101464

I like the original better.

I looked, I searched, I goofed.

Guess I'll just have to fall on my keyboard, to put you put of your misery.