PDA

View Full Version : Seeing more bobber and cafes on trade me

Paulo
17th June 2009, 12:09
Okay so i'm a totat fan of cafe racers , have been since I when i was little I had copies of "boys own annual" which cool pictures of british lads in pudding bowl helmet fanging around the b roads in Blighty. Guess it formed my image of motorcycling. and hey they just look so cool. anyway I've been building my own CB750 kaff and have had a little GB for years. as I trawl the internt for parts and inspiration it's clear that the cafe and bobber scene is huge in japan and the states and to some extent oz (with deus who are opening an AKL store sometime this year) Anyway I'm seeing more and more home builds turning upon trade me even GN250 bobbers!!!
I think it's great that someone would take the humble Ginnie and do something different with it , after all wasn't that the original spirit of cafe bike, chop off whats not needed , make it go as fast as possible on limited funds and borrowed bits and just as importantly make it yours.

Looking forward to the Mods vs rockers rumble in brighton CHCH in august , should be a hoot. anuway enuff rambling.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-224215275.htm

Indiana_Jones
17th June 2009, 12:15
That GN looks pretty mean, saw it last night.

I'd be pretty happy with that as my 1st bike :)

-Indy

CookMySock
17th June 2009, 13:31
I'd be pretty happy with that as my 1st bike :)Yeah, but what learner would pay that.. for what was a GN underneath..

Don't get me wrong, I think the cafe racers look awesome - tempted to build one myself - but I just wonder who rides the little 250 ones. Maybe it would be different if it was just for across town in 50-70km/hr areas..

They almost look like ladies bikes.

Steve

Paulo
17th June 2009, 14:27
Yeah, but what learner would pay that.. for what was a GN underneath..

Don't get me wrong, I think the cafe racers look awesome - tempted to build one myself - but I just wonder who rides the little 250 ones. Maybe it would be different if it was just for across town in 50-70km/hr areas..

They almost look like ladies bikes.

Steve

Yeah pretty tiny for sure but I guess someone on their learners who wanted something a bit different might be keen. It's the spirit of the build that impressed me more than the actual bike, I think it's cool that people are making something different rarther than the off the shelf same as everyone else kind of ride. : )

MIXONE
17th June 2009, 14:44
I love it.If it wasn't for guys like that we would all be riding boring,factory standard whatevers.

gwigs
17th June 2009, 16:07
Cafe racers at the Ace Cafe......notice all the oil leaks on the road.
Cool pic I think

Indiana_Jones
17th June 2009, 17:00
lol at the oil

-Indy

MIXONE
17th June 2009, 17:51
lol at the oil

-Indy

Just marking there spot son.

CookMySock
17th June 2009, 19:10
[...] I guess someone on their learners who wanted something a bit different might be keen. It's the spirit of the build that impressed me more than the actual bike, I think it's cool that people are making something different rarther than the off the shelf same as everyone else kind of ride. : )Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

But who would pay MONEY for one? That is what I'd like to know. I'd build one tomorrow if I knew I could get my money out of it at the end. I can't afford to throw money down a dark hole. :pinch:

Steve

scumdog
17th June 2009, 19:36
I love it.If it wasn't for guys like that we would all be riding boring,factory standard whatevers.

Wot 'e sed.:yes:

Pinstripe
18th June 2009, 12:05
I'd like to know more about the Mods V Rockers in Chch, sounds cool :yes:

I'll C U Jimmy
18th June 2009, 22:09
Check out http://www.xs650.org.au/ you have to dig around a bit, but theres some real nice cafes and bobbers here. The old XS seems to lend itself to the stripped down look.

MIXONE
19th June 2009, 08:22
I agree with you Jimmy.The xs I had was always in pieces!

Paulo
19th June 2009, 17:41
I agree with you Jimmy.The xs I had was always in pieces!

LOL I've just bought one, Geuess i'm about to find out

Paulo
19th June 2009, 17:48
Mods vs Rockers Winter Rumble saturday 22 August 2009 Meet outside Street and Sport Motorcycles at 130 pm , ride to brighton at 2.30 Pm for a mods vs Rockers challenge, Then back to Poplar lane to show off our machinery at the party at the vespa room and the twisted Hop. Secure overnight storage available for all bikes and scooters.

Open to all retro style scooters, British bikes and cafe racers NO CRUISERS and NO SPORTS BIKES. Prizez for best Bike and Scooter and best dressed Mods and Rockers.

all enquiries to David Thompson 03 366 2201
www.streetandsport.co.nz

(all this is taken from the flyer now you know as much as i do)

I'll C U Jimmy
19th June 2009, 20:10
heh heh, www.mikesxs.com will become familiar to you. I also bought one recently, looking for a project. The guy started it straight up, looked ok, ran ok, didnt burn oil. Got it home and found the reason it didnt burn oil......it didnt have any. Found half a ring in the sump, and it still runs.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd June 2009, 17:44
heh heh, www.mikesxs.com will become familiar to you. I also bought one recently, looking for a project. The guy started it straight up, looked ok, ran ok, didnt burn oil. Got it home and found the reason it didnt burn oil......it didnt have any. Found half a ring in the sump, and it still runs.

whoah!

theres an XS on tardme presently and the guy wants six large for it. Six large?

Paulo
23rd June 2009, 18:01
Yike thats 3 times more than I paid for mine, there is also a gb400 on TM for 6K!!!!!! I love these bikes but for 6K ? I got my mint GB 500 with 25K for under 3 grand

Guess it's tough times and people are hopeful. Can't blame em for trying.

Paul in NZ
23rd June 2009, 20:35
Dunno about bobbers etc but there are two of the ugliest triumph choppers in existence on TM at the moment... Gleep - I'm thinking of buying one for the engine and burning the rest as a favour to old triumphs everywhere..

peasea
23rd June 2009, 21:18
Mods vs Rockers Winter Rumble saturday 22 August 2009 Meet outside Street and Sport Motorcycles at 130 pm , ride to brighton at 2.30 Pm for a mods vs Rockers challenge, Then back to Poplar lane to show off our machinery at the party at the vespa room and the twisted Hop. Secure overnight storage available for all bikes and scooters.

Open to all retro style scooters, British bikes and cafe racers NO CRUISERS and NO SPORTS BIKES. Prizez for best Bike and Scooter and best dressed Mods and Rockers.

all enquiries to David Thompson 03 366 2201
www.streetandsport.co.nz

(all this is taken from the flyer now you know as much as i do)

That looks too cool to be true, have circled the date. Cheers.

Throttle
30th June 2009, 23:41
Thanks for the helpful posting. The Mods vs. Rockers rumble looks like fun, hopefully c u there.