PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Bonneville SE

Indiana_Jones
17th June 2009, 17:04
Who has seen one of these 'in the flesh' or ridden one?

due to emission loaws they've had to make the bikes fuel injected now, that's cool, but I don't like the way they're gone with the wheels, kinda kills the bike.

just reminds me of CB750s etc :shutup:

-Indy

YellowDog
17th June 2009, 17:07
I was never a fan of the revamped 'Bonnie'.

I have seen these new units down at AMPS and I must say they do look pretty classy.

AllanB
17th June 2009, 17:30
EFI is all good - they gained some valuable hp out of that :woohoo:

The SE at first looks ... different .... probably due to the front wheel being visibly smaller than the 19 incher and the bike looking overall lower.
Nothing wrong just takes a look or two to get used to it.
A very nice unit, and classy is a good description of the bike.

However I do not like the spoke design - it pays homage to the last of the 'old' bonnies (early 80's) as it's a copy of their cast wheels - just looks wrong to me. I'd whip them off and paint them completely black or a nice metallic gunmetal grey.

By all accounts with what I have read the SE is the 'best' new bonnie yet.

Big Dave wrote a glowing review.

Owl
17th June 2009, 17:49
I hope to have one parked next to the Speed Triple by the end of the year. I won't actually own it, but the Mrs plans to buy one after she gets her full licence. I'm not complaining!:D

mossy1200
17th June 2009, 17:51
I got the 08 carb version and then fitted cr race carbs and k&n and race pipes and they develop more ponies than the injected version.Installed flat bars as the originals dont suit longer arms if you want room for passanger.I like the spoked wheels.Next project is the 5.5inch rear spoked wheel conversion.waiting for the price to reduce as more ally wheel versions take away the market value of spoked wide rims.$800usd ouch.

nudemetalz
21st June 2009, 20:10
However, I do like the 50th Anniversary model.
This pic is way cool....
(1959 model with the 2009 model)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/turbo_NZ/triumph-bonneville-anniversary.jpg

Look how you could modify a new one to look like the old...errr..I mean classic one !!

Indiana_Jones
21st June 2009, 20:20
lol nice comparison :D

-Indy

Motig
24th June 2009, 09:23
Well had a look at the SE in Dunedin yesterday and I like it. Like the lower seat height as I have trouble getting the old leg over these days, might think about selling the GSX this summer and see what the bank will do. Besides the daughter likes it whereas before she thought my old Bonnie was ugly :crazy:

xwhatsit
24th June 2009, 13:49
Look how you could modify a new one to look like the old...errr..I mean classic one !!
Bit hard to do that when the new one makes the old one looks like a three-quarters scale model. Until you get close and realise that the new one is, in fact, four-thirds overweight.

Spyke
5th July 2009, 22:12
the old one gets my vote

Big Dave
6th July 2009, 01:44
Bit hard to do that when the new one makes the old one looks like a three-quarters scale model. Until you get close and realise that the new one is, in fact, four-thirds overweight.

Rubbbbb-bish.

The new one is fitted with the equipment it needs to pass modern European emission and sound controls, as well as things that are essential to selling a bike in volume today. An electric starter, a big battery, an alternator, electricals that work, and a whole lot of stuff that wasn't compulsory on the Meriden, like reliability and no oil leaks (I have owned both), all of which IMO make the new ones more pleasant to own.

They don't have the same 'Jenny se qua' true, but unless you enjoy tinkering with them (a lot) you don't have to own a trailer either.

pritch
6th July 2009, 08:46
you don't have to own a trailer either.

Ahhh yes. That takes me back to my Brit bike days. Owning a van (or a trailer) was definitely desirable, if not a necessity...

vifferman
6th July 2009, 09:54
They don't have the same 'jene se qua' ....
That's "je ne sais quoi", Mr BigDave, Sir. (Literally "I don't know what").

rosie631
6th July 2009, 10:11
Who has seen one of these 'in the flesh' or ridden one?

due to emission loaws they've had to make the bikes fuel injected now, that's cool, but I don't like the way they're gone with the wheels, kinda kills the bike.

just reminds me of CB750s etc :shutup:

-Indy

I'm taking one out for a test ride this weekend. But at this stage I'm looking to buy a 2008. Because I don't like the wheels on the 2009 and I don't really want fuel injection either. May change my mind after I ride it tho - who knows.

Big Dave
6th July 2009, 10:21
I'm taking one out for a test ride this weekend. But at this stage I'm looking to buy a 2008. Because I don't like the wheels on the 2009 and I don't really want fuel injection either. May change my mind after I ride it tho - who knows.

They 17" wheels make a bit of difference to the way it rides and the saddle height though. They do handle better. (And they are easier to keep looking nice)

Objections to fuel injection can be that they made it look like carbs and 'I can't tune it myself'. Neither of those things bother me in the slightest.

EFI performs better (they are slightly smoother), produces six times less emissions and should last longer.

Big Dave
6th July 2009, 10:25
That's "je ne sais quoi", Mr BigDave, Sir. (Literally "I don't know what").

Yes cheers - I know - why it's in inverted commas. Intended colloquially with an aussie accent.

Adds: And I wasn't sure of the protocols for (sic)-ing on ones's self? There - I made it more obvious.

HenryDorsetCase
6th July 2009, 14:55
Just as an aside, there was a guy selling an NSR 250 SE with a blown motor and I caught myself thinking "Wonder how hard it would be to staple and duct tape a new Triumph Vertical Twin into there". Then I gave myself a slap and a good talking to.

Lady on the bus next to me changed seats: WTF's up with that?

HenryDorsetCase
6th July 2009, 14:57
Yes cheers - I know - why it's in inverted commas. Intended colloquially with an aussie accent.

Adds: And I wasn't sure of the protocols for (sic)-ing on ones's self? I made it more obvious.

my experience of the protocols of sicing on oneself usually involve: a big curry, 9 to 12 pints of lager, some slamdancing and loud rock n roll.

Big Dave
6th July 2009, 15:07
my experience of the protocols of sicing on oneself usually involve: a big curry, 9 to 12 pints of lager, some slamdancing and loud rock n roll.

Yea - I was going to mention 'Southern Comfort'.

mossy1200
6th July 2009, 15:36
They 17" wheels make a bit of difference to the way it rides and the saddle height though. They do handle better. (And they are easier to keep looking nice)

Objections to fuel injection can be that they made it look like carbs and 'I can't tune it myself'. Neither of those things bother me in the slightest.

EFI performs better (they are slightly smoother), produces six times less emissions and should last longer.
35mm cr keihin race carbs are the way to go.Instant throttle responce.
Biff the stock rear shocks and fit 10mm spacers in the front and the handling is mint even with the wire spoked wheels.

Big Dave
6th July 2009, 16:03
35mm cr keihin race carbs are the way to go.Instant throttle responce.

Be interesting to compare cost and performance-wise with a power commander on an EFI.

mossy1200
6th July 2009, 16:17
Be interesting to compare cost and performance-wise with a power commander on an EFI.
560usd(includes K&N).Got me doing 197kph in flying quarters.Ran out of rpm well before power.1000 into redline with 1tooth up front sprocket.
Feels like up 10hp but not dynoed so guestimate only.
Biggest difference is instant throttle.
Another trick is to take the rt hand side of airbox off and there is a restrictor plate that slides out between filter and intake carbs snouts.Also lose the airbox filler snout and fit K&N filter.
parts are from http://www.newbonneville.com/ they seem the best prices.They will set the carbs (free)before sending them with the specs you give them on pipes etc.Mine have not been moded since arrival and they seem spot on.

Big Dave
6th July 2009, 16:34
parts are from http://www.newbonneville.com/

Cool.

I did some drawings for Mike ages ago. He doing OK? Must have a surf around the site.

nudemetalz
6th July 2009, 16:35
Lady on the bus next to me changed seats: WTF's up with that?

You drop something ? :Oops:

mossy1200
6th July 2009, 16:40
Cool.

I did some drawings for Mike ages ago. He doing OK? Must have a surf around the site.
The guys there are great to deal with.Parts arrived within a week.Have order from them three times without hitch.Got some bullet ally indicators and the emission kit from them also.If my race bike didnt keep bleeding me I would get the 5.5inch wire spoke rear wheel conversion kit for a 180 rear tyre.Maybe when the dollar gets better.

pritch
7th July 2009, 10:43

The SE is a new model, but the other models are still in then 2009 catalogue.
BIKE say that the 17 inch wheels make the steering quicker and more accurate. Best get used to fuel injection, emmissions regs mean that carbs are pretty much a thing of the past now.

Rebel Yell
18th February 2010, 23:20
I have a Bonneville T100 Anniversary and it is a beautiful thing to ride. I've fited a 19 tooth front sprocket & fitted after market factory silencers (now a misnomer) as the originals are whisper quiet. It has a 19 inch front wheel & a 17 inch rear. The emission control blues the pipes to buggery, so I've had HPC coated stainless steel ones fitted and they work really well. Having owned many, many Meriden Triumphs it is like riding in Triumph heaven - how you always dreamed your Triumph would be, but knew in your heart it couldn't because the damn thing rattled and clanked and leaked oil. The new 865cc Bonnies produces about twice the horse power of the original 650cc Bonnie and weighs just a few kg more - 205 Kg compared with the 192kg of the original.

Pussy
19th February 2010, 06:20
I like the SE Bonnie.
There is a nice blue/white one in NPMC... it will be in my shed as soon as I win lotto.....

Mudfart
19th April 2010, 19:46
has anyone ridden the 09 or 10 thruxton?. its going on my list, seeing as a commando seems unattainable atm.

Laava
25th April 2010, 07:23
My mate flew to palmy to test ride the thruxton he was going to buy, but he came home empty handed and bought a speedmaster. Lesson was, make sure you test ride!

shafty
25th April 2010, 07:54
I have a Bonneville T100 Anniversary and it is a beautiful thing to ride. I've fited a 19 tooth front sprocket & fitted after market factory silencers (now a misnomer) as the originals are whisper quiet. It has a 19 inch front wheel & a 17 inch rear. The emission control blues the pipes to buggery, so I've had HPC coated stainless steel ones fitted and they work really well. Having owned many, many Meriden Triumphs it is like riding in Triumph heaven - how you always dreamed your Triumph would be, but knew in your heart it couldn't because the damn thing rattled and clanked and leaked oil. The new 865cc Bonnies produces about twice the horse power of the original 650cc Bonnie and weighs just a few kg more - 205 Kg compared with the 192kg of the original.

Great sum up there Rebel - I take my hat off for saying what many may think yet not say.

As a 60's Boy, I loved the look and sound of the Bonnies and Nortons and Tridents, (Bought a Hinckley Triple as a result) yet grimace at the unreliabilty (as with my XS500!) Cheers

SDU
25th April 2010, 16:24
My 09 Thruxton is due for it's 10000km service & I have had no problems with it so far. I've been cruising around on it since November and find it comfy to ride with the bar set up, (the clip ons of earlier ones put me off them) the seat a little hard but I've had worse, it is softing up with time.
The shocks were a bit pogo like and have replaced them with Hagens, others have found the originals ok. For noise I've got the triumph/Arrows- awesome sound. The original pipes are too quiet!!!!!
It is a light nimble bike to ride, it isn't a rocket ship but is enough to have a lot off fun through the hills on and the long trips are no problem on it.
My gripe is bloody chains & the mess they make, especially when over oiled.
Everyone is different in taste - you have to ride to see if it suits you. One thing I notice a lot of jo-public come up & look at it & talk about it with me, something I didn't notice on the guzzi.

BikerDazz
25th April 2010, 20:15
I love the look of the new Bonny - very 80's looking with the alloy wheels, and I s'pose that was my era.
I get my full licence in about 3 months (all going well) so will be doing a fair bit of test riding.
Atm, I swaying between a black SE or a black A1 with tacho kit, black flyscreen and black aftermarket mufflers - saw one on an american website and thought it looked pretty sweet.
Anyone know where you might go to get black mufflers for it?

Owl
26th April 2010, 07:37
I love the look of the new Bonny - very 80's looking with the alloy wheels, and I s'pose that was my era.
I get my full licence in about 3 months (all going well) so will be doing a fair bit of test riding.
Atm, I swaying between a black SE or a black A1 with tacho kit, black flyscreen and black aftermarket mufflers - saw one on an american website and thought it looked pretty sweet.

The only black exhausts I've seen are the "Predators", which are ceramic coated stainless.

http://www.british-customs.com/triumph-bonneville-t100/

Big Dave
26th April 2010, 09:17

Rode the new A1 last week - a white one with Arrow exhaust.

I rate it (and the SV650) as just about the best 'after restricted - step up - return to riding' bikes on the market. Perfick.

It's also a very pleasant unit for experienced riders too. Very smooth, refined and all round...well...just nice.

Scottie
26th April 2010, 20:06
Holeshot gave me one while my Rocket3 was being serviced. Had a ball riding it for the day and the misses was smitten with it. Was genuinely sad to give it back - took me back to the old days except it started first time, did not leak, had good brakes and very good HP for its size. If I was ever to buy a cafe cruiser - this would be it.

Mudfart
26th April 2010, 20:27
hey BigDave, I read the bonnie review in MCT (my magazine of choice), and they said in you won't like....anything its perfect really.
Reading what you say about the bonnie, how do you rate the thruxton?. I'm getting my full in 3 months and I love the cafe racers, but Im considering so many damn bikes. R6, GSXR's, Thruxton, 675 daytona, er6N or full fairing ninja, I REALLY like the MT-01 and one guy has told me Im probably better off on it than an R6, which will get me into trouble really quick....
THEN, theres the option of going straight up to a 1000. VTR1000 maybe?.

Big Dave
26th April 2010, 20:29
hey BigDave, I read the bonnie review in MCT (my magazine of choice), and they said in you won't like....anything its perfect really.
Reading what you say about the bonnie, how do you rate the thruxton?. I'm getting my full in 3 months and I love the cafe racers, but Im considering so many damn bikes. R6, GSXR's, Thruxton, 675 daytona, er6N or full fairing ninja, I REALLY like the MT-01 and one guy has told me Im probably better off on it than an R6, which will get me into trouble really quick....
THEN, theres the option of going straight up to a 1000. VTR1000 maybe?.

Ask MCT.

:-P

Big Dave
26th April 2010, 20:41
OK just kidding. I still owe Shane for the light aircraft incident.

I spent a year on a 500 single before going to a 120horsepower bike.

Nowadays my personal preference for a ROAD bike is 100hp with good, low down torque.
Enough to tow a passenger in comfort and still be able to 'ride it'. Twist the throttle and not have it catapult into the disqualification zone.

If I rode mainly solo I'd quite like a Triumph Scrambler - I have a ball on one of them.

DesmoDAZ
26th April 2010, 22:32
Howdy, I hav serviced and riden an 08 catrb model, changed out the sprockets to gear it up a bit for the owner.
IMO an all round unexciting nothingless ride.
sounds like a blocked up honda civic,
sedate and boring power delivery,
Cumfy to ride and easy to ride,
Handeling can be pushed to it's limits rather easy,
Many will like the nostelga and retro looks and trimuph name but I found it to be pretty much a nana of an experience.

SDU
27th April 2010, 11:38
Thats the thing with the bonnie, thruxtons & the likes: you have to work them & thats part off the fun. The fuel injected models have a little more pep then the carb models but means you can't work on them yourself if you are that way inclined.
Way less torque & power then the V11Sport I had but I still have fun on it. I don't need to ride at 200kms everywhere & I'm finding the thruxton being a lighter macnine I'm improving my nana speeds through the hils. Everyone is different in taste & it is a good bike for those moving up from 250's, getting back into bikes, wanting to gain more experience and want to keep their license but don't what a cruiser or a good looking commuter

Big Dave
27th April 2010, 12:14
It comes back to my oft repeated mantra. It's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast - than a fast bike slow.

My friend Bruce came around to my house on his restored 72 Bonne the other day. Completely different bike to the new one. Raw and vibrates and has a certain primal appeal.

The new one is clinical and refined and tidy and actually goes a lot faster than it feels like it's doing. The 17" front wheel makes it a tidy handler. Ground clearance could be better, but that's because of how easy it is to use all of it.

Indiana_Jones
27th April 2010, 12:53
Ah my thread has been dug up lol

Just incase anyone is still thinknig of a modern classic, I'd say I'm enjoying my Scrambler very much, nice useable power, got the TORS pipes and boy do they sound great :)

If you want endless HP, look elsewhere, if you want a great everyday and weekend bike, check our any of the modern classic range.

-Indy

BikerDazz
27th April 2010, 17:32
It comes back to my oft repeated mantra. It's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast - than a fast bike slow.

My friend Bruce came around to my house on his restored 72 Bonne the other day. Completely different bike to the new one. Raw and vibrates and has a certain primal appeal.

The new one is clinical and refined and tidy and actually goes a lot faster than it feels like it's doing. The 17" front wheel makes it a tidy handler. Ground clearance could be better, but that's because of how easy it is to use all of it.

Good point BD.
Part of me would love a speed triple but I don't wanna bite off more than I can chew, so to speak.
I'm looking forward to having a test run on the Bonnie to see how it feels to me - maybe it will seem a bit bland, I'll soon seen.
My Ducati mate reckons I'd be better off on a tractor, but he's a bit of a posh wanker!

Owl
27th April 2010, 18:23
Good point BD.
Part of me would love a speed triple but I don't wanna bite off more than I can chew, so to speak.
I'm looking forward to having a test run on the Bonnie to see how it feels to me - maybe it will seem a bit bland, I'll soon seen.
My Ducati mate reckons I'd be better off on a tractor, but he's a bit of a posh wanker!

Well I ride both a Speed Triple and Bonneville SE. I agree with BD in regards to the Bonnie including its faults and I'll add that the seat can be a little uncomfortable on long journey's. Great bike though and soooo easy to ride!

Scorpio - Speed Triple, not an option I'd recommend, but each to their own. I certainly wouldn't call them scary fast, but they're fast never the less.

You do however have superb taste in bikes and definitely deserve bling!:msn-wink:

BikerDazz
27th April 2010, 19:26
Well I ride both a Speed Triple and Bonneville SE. I agree with BD in regards to the Bonnie including its faults and I'll add that the seat can be a little uncomfortable on long journey's. Great bike though and soooo easy to ride!

Scorpio - Speed Triple, not an option I'd recommend, but each to their own. I certainly wouldn't call them scary fast, but they're fast never the less.

You do however have superb taste in bikes and definitely deserve bling!:msn-wink:

Sorted!
Bonnie first, then add the Striple to the garage later on.
I've looked at just about every kind of new bike and nothing draws my eye like the Trumpys.

Big Dave
3rd May 2010, 16:15
http://kiwiridermagazine.blogspot.com/2010/05/burn-on-a1-bonneville.html

fliplid
3rd May 2010, 20:01
Odd tags though... "Tags: Big Dave, Boneville"?
Good read through, still undecided as to which Bonnie I'd fancy.

Big Dave
3rd May 2010, 20:47
Thanks - sometimes the typos are just invisible when you 'know' what it says.

fliplid
4th May 2010, 19:59
Thanks - sometimes the typos are just invisible when you 'know' what it says.

D'oh! Perhaps it read better the other way though?

Indiana_Jones
5th April 2011, 08:17
Have the brochure for the 2011 modern classic range.

Bonneville or Bonneville SE is looking very tempting....

-Indy

short-circuit
5th April 2011, 13:52
Have the brochure for the 2011 modern classic range.

Bonneville or Bonneville SE is looking very tempting....

-Indy

Buy mine - over $5000 worth of accessories. 5000 km on the clock. Brand new condition. It's a fucken minter

kb_SF1
5th April 2011, 18:34
Have an 09 spoked wheel EFI, 18K on the clock now. New straight through mufflers, remapped engine and 19 tooth front sprocket and more than happy, been all over North Island and down through Haast Pass and to Te Anau before heading back north.

Handling is okay with standard fork springs and shocks, will be putting in progressive fork springs at 20K service and fully adjustable rears to improve the ride, especally on long distance trips.

Take a demo for a good long town and rural ride.

trustme
11th May 2011, 15:40
You might be better off with straight wound springs & emulators,

SPman
12th May 2011, 14:51
The missus was keen on a new Bonneville - then she went out on the W800 - now she's smitten with that! Come new job time.......

then she'll have 3 bikes.....

Indiana_Jones
20th July 2011, 09:46
I should mentioned I've done a 180 and brought myself a new 2010 Bonneville SE a few months back lol. :scooter:

-Indy

short-circuit
20th July 2011, 10:00
I should mentioned I've done a 180 and brought myself a new 2010 Bonneville SE a few months back lol. :scooter:

-Indy

Nice. How do you like it?

Indiana_Jones
20th July 2011, 10:33
Nice. How do you like it?

Great ride, the smaller mags make a world of difference.

Might get lower bars though.

Sounds nice with the TORS too.

Edit: did you end up selling yours? I was tempted but I got made a fairly good deal on the other one.

-Indy

short-circuit
20th July 2011, 11:31
Great ride, the smaller mags make a world of difference.

Might get lower bars though.

Sounds nice with the TORS too.

Edit: did you end up selling yours? I was tempted but I got made a fairly good deal on the other one.

-Indy

Yeah I did. When it rains it pours - heard nothing for a couple of months and then bang two serious potential buyers in one day and she was gone. The Striple will be the same - the minute someone decides to come to the garage to inspect in person, they'll ride away on it.

Really miss the Bonnie. Would love to see a few pics Indy if you get the chance.

Indiana_Jones
20th July 2011, 11:41
Will try and get a few pics up soon.

nothing special, just a plain black one. Saw one of the orange and black ones on the motorway this morning, looked mean :)

-Indy

Voltaire
20th July 2011, 18:52
After months of tring to sell my 900ssie on TM I swapped it for an 04 Thruxton.
I've only done about 100kms on it, mainly going to Cycletreads to get new tyres and work.
The riding position is less severe than the SS and its real easy to ride thru the traffic.
Its got custom chambers mufflers on it so it sounds better...
Going to replace the rear shocks with IKONs and looking into fitting emulators to the front.
Been reading the workshop manual....looks like 1/2 a Z1000 motor to work on.
Also Looking into binning the stock air filter and the 'air injection' .
Lots to tinker with...unlike the Ducati.....boring......once you play with the Desmos, belts and sort out the rear shock thats it.
I saw Big Daves write up on the Scrambler on ADV....good stuff.

Indiana_Jones
20th July 2011, 22:09
I considered a Thruxton, but the mags on the new Bonnie were a big draw card for me.

Looking at new bars for the Bonnie to make it a bit more 'sporty'

-Indy

Voltaire
21st July 2011, 14:53
I considered a Thruxton, but the mags on the new Bonnie were a big draw card for me.

Looking at new bars for the Bonnie to make it a bit more 'sporty'

-Indy

interesting...for me mag wheels on motorcycles are a turn off. I had a look at a newish Thruxton with the 'clubman' bars instead of the clipons.....to me the clip ons look better. Apparently the old blokes don't like the clip ons..... I find them better than the 900ss ( not missing it already):sunny:

short-circuit
21st July 2011, 15:07
interesting...for me mag wheels on motorcycles are a turn off. I had a look at a newish Thruxton with the 'clubman' bars instead of the clipons.....to me the clip ons look better. Apparently the old blokes don't like the clip ons..... I find them better than the 900ss ( not missing it already):sunny:

Tasty As:

http://caferacerspecial.blogspot.com/2011/04/custom-triumph-bonneville-build.html

Voltaire
21st July 2011, 17:43
Tasty As:

http://caferacerspecial.blogspot.com/2011/04/custom-triumph-bonneville-build.html

on no....more Triumph porn.... I can't believe how much there is......
and all the goodies you can get....

Indiana_Jones
24th July 2011, 18:25
Here's a couple of pics :)

-Indy

Latte
24th July 2011, 18:30
I'm dead keen on a Bonneville version of the 965 Commando , USD Front, Sportsbike wheels/brakes, big bore etc. Not everyone's cup of team but definitely mine.

Have only managed to find one bonne online with a 675 front, I thought it looked the dog's bollix. Would be keen to see smore more examples if any.

I don;t know what it is but the thruxton looks like it will date faster (how is that possible with a modern classic) - the bonne looks more timeless.

Indiana_Jones
24th July 2011, 18:35
I'm dead keen on a Bonneville version of the 965 Commando , USD Front, Sportsbike wheels/brakes, big bore etc. Not everyone's cup of team but definitely mine.

this kind of thing?

https://normanhyde.co.uk/media//02hyde-harrier.jpg

That was a bonnie to begin with lol

-Indy

Latte
24th July 2011, 18:43
this kind of thing?

https://normanhyde.co.uk/media//02hyde-harrier.jpg

That was a bonnie to begin with lol

-Indy

Not keen on the fairings or the seat unit, but everything else is pretty cool.

I like the way the commando looks as it's still got the classic silhouette, but has the "bling" of the modern stuff. I 'd like to do the same thing to a Bonnie.

Indiana_Jones
24th July 2011, 19:03
Not keen on the fairings or the seat unit, but everything else is pretty cool.

I like the way the commando looks as it's still got the classic silhouette, but has the "bling" of the modern stuff. I 'd like to do the same thing to a Bonnie.

Sounds like a plan. Plus you'd still have cash left over if you went the Bonnie route lol

But the new Commando looks mean as :)

-Indy

short-circuit
25th July 2011, 19:45
Here's a couple of pics :)

-Indy

Nice Indy. The bash plate you're only mod so far?

Indiana_Jones
27th July 2011, 08:40
Nice Indy. The bash plate you're only mod so far?

Pretty much, that came off my old scrambler. Otherwise I doubt it would of gotten one.

The only other mod I have is TORS, but I see them as compulsory lol

Am looking at lower handle bars and some oldschool GT/football grips this coming month

-Indy

Voltaire
27th July 2011, 11:23
going to have a go lining the tank with the stick on ones?

I saw a vid on polishing up the engine covers.....they look really nice.

Took the Thruxton out on Saturday and the rear shocks need replacing, Front seems fine compared to an actual 70's front end :yes:

Indiana_Jones
27th July 2011, 11:41
going to have a go lining the tank with the stick on ones?

I saw a vid on polishing up the engine covers.....they look really nice.

Took the Thruxton out on Saturday and the rear shocks need replacing, Front seems fine compared to an actual 70's front end :yes:

Might do, or I might just save the bling and get a painter to do it :) Would look much better. Or perhaps keep it plain black, no idea. The choices are endless with the Bonnies and Thruxtons, parts etc for Africa.

The shocks on the Thruxton and Bonnie are Ok.... but a lot of people change them.

At least with the Thruxton you get the adjustable preload, you could buy the caps and stick them on the Bonnie if one was inclined to do so, read someone donig that on the RAT forums.

-Indy

Indiana_Jones
4th August 2011, 18:18
New bars :)

-Indy

Voltaire
4th August 2011, 20:47
lower and more foreward?
The instruments look nice in grey/black....locking gas cap....mmmm

short-circuit
4th August 2011, 20:53
Look nice Indy - M bars? New grips and proper CRG bar end mirrors :niceone:

Indiana_Jones
4th August 2011, 21:55
lower and more foreward?
The instruments look nice in grey/black....locking gas cap....mmmm

Correct, Ventura bars :)

The locking fuel cap I got when I brought her. Always thought about getting one for my old scrambler, but never did. Just a piece of mind thing, not worried about gas going out, but rather other things going in :facepalm:

Look nice Indy - M bars? New grips and proper CRG bar end mirrors :niceone:

Ta :)

The grips I quite like,

The bar end mirrors, no so much. They were from my scrambler again, where I had them clipped onto the bars.

I think I'll go back to stock as I get a clearer view and it's not too small :)

Thought I'd try regardless. Plus I need to stick something in the bar ends as the stock ones are threaded and the Ventura's are not.

-Indy

short-circuit
4th August 2011, 22:01
The bar end mirrors, no so much. They were from my scrambler again, where I had them clipped onto the bars.

I think I'll go back to stock as I get a clearer view and it's not too small :)

-Indy

Nooooooo persist... form over function - who the fuck needs mirrors anyway?

Indiana_Jones
22nd September 2011, 14:23
Well after about a month + of riding with those bars, I took them off and stuck the stock ones back on. Was killing my elbows! Will keep stock I reckon :yes:

Still got the GT grips on though.

-Indy

short-circuit
22nd September 2011, 18:55
Well after about a month + of riding with those bars, I took them off and stuck the stock ones back on. Was killing my elbows! Will keep stock I reckon :yes:

Still got the GT grips on though.

-Indy

Yep. While the change looks cool, Triumph usually get it pretty right eh? So many guys end up going back to stock with the bars.

Indiana_Jones
23rd September 2011, 13:11
Yep. While the change looks cool, Triumph usually get it pretty right eh? So many guys end up going back to stock with the bars.

lol I guess that's what designers are paid to do!

-Indy

Indiana_Jones
30th November 2011, 15:18
I have triumph/Arrows- awesome sound. The original pipes are too quiet!

Two into one, or two into two?

They do sound nice, stock is useless.

-Indy