PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/Gearbox issues - GL 145

Gareth123
17th June 2009, 19:23
I was riding my bike home today and I noticed that it started to make a funny sort of hissing noise. When I pulled the clutch in, it became even more pronounced as the noise of the engine died away. I stopped and put the bike in neutral, which made the noise even worse so I switched it off.

Anyway couldn't figure it out so I started it up and rode off. No hissing noise until i reached 4th gear. Changed gear a couple of times and found that 2nd doesn't make the noise at all, every other gear and neutral does.

When I got home I put the bike in first, lifted up the back wheel with the clutch in. The wheel didn't turn - yes the bike was running.

Whats going on?

F5 Dave
17th June 2009, 22:17
I'm going to chance that if you pull off the sidecover you will find the answer in something has come undone. It's random changes may mean it is the clutch hub. Don't ride it, drain oil & whip the cover off & report.

Spuds1234
18th June 2009, 22:14
Asking a dumb question for my brother, what side cover should he remove? The left or the right? He isn't sure.

Are there any things that could fall out and get lost when he removes the cover?

F5 Dave
19th June 2009, 09:36
hmm, for a start the oil. needs to be drained of course. RH side cover, do a search for a manual or at least a parts diagram online, your response doesn't fill me with confidence, but on the other hand the only way to learn is jump in & not a big $ bike. You will need a decent socket for those cover bolts. Is there anyone you know who can help?

Gareth123
19th June 2009, 10:17
I've got the tools ect that I'll need. Just wasn't sure which side. I've pulled bikes apart before. Just not the engine (except to change a gasket) before. If all else fails I'll pull the engine out and take it to the local workshop. Head gasket needs doing as well as the tappets.

Gareth123
19th June 2009, 10:19
And I can't imagine why my response wouldn't fill you with confidence, I'm like, the worlds best (in my own head anyway) motorcycle mechanic!

F5 Dave
19th June 2009, 22:59
Get drunk, rip into it & take pictures.

Spuds1234
19th June 2009, 23:05
Im guessing that the clutch cover is the right hand side of the engine.

Same as my GS250 of the same era, same as my Katana. Just look for the side without wires coming out of it (these are from the stator coil) and dont open that side.

Give me a yell if you need a hand. Im free on Sunday arvo/evening.

Sunday morning is no good as that is HOT's Cocktail evening.

Gareth123
20th June 2009, 00:19
Well I'm screwed. The worlds best mechanic has failed:lol:

I undid all the wee bolts holding the side cover on. I even triple checked I had all of them out. Could I get the damned thing off though? If I'd had a sledge I probably would have smacked it:bash: Ended up putting all the wee bolts back in. Sigh.

Guess I'll take it down the road to the guy who has a sign up saying he's a bike mechanic. Hopefully he can do what the worlds best mechanic can't. Anyone know of the fella on the Rangiora Woodend rd I'm talking about? I'll find out if he's any good.

Spuds1234
20th June 2009, 02:22
Dont do that. I'll help you on Sunday night. I'll stop by the parents and grab dads wooden mallet.

Gareth123
20th June 2009, 10:13
Dont do that. I'll help you on Sunday night. I'll stop by the parents and grab dads wooden mallet.

I'm thinking I'll just ride it into town and leave it with dad. There's quite alot of things that need to be done. I'll catch a ride back with you though

Gareth123
27th June 2009, 02:26
Turns out to be the ball racer bearings(Hope I got that right) Gonna sort them out sometime soon.

Was talking to Kevin at KG motorcycles and he mentioned I could scavenge parts off of a XL 185 and fit them on. The Barrel, crank and piston. Would I need to certify the bike if I did that? Or because it will be really hard to tell just shut up about it and pretend it's still all original?