PDA

View Full Version : Photos

Motu
23rd March 2005, 13:51
I just love flattrack,the action is just so out there.Just some photos I found,looks like a BSA B33 at Ascot in the 50s,I'd say he's lowsided,the bikes dug in and is now starting to tumble,on a mile track that's about 80mph in the corners.Any shot of Kenny Roberts is a gem,to do this at 100mph for 50laps,just a day job for KR.

Motoracer
23rd March 2005, 14:00
Looks mint man, how much power did thoes bikes have? More to the point, what cc bikes were they?

Up to 1970 it was 500cc for OHV,sidevalves could be 750cc,a small concession to Harley,the OHC singles like the Manx Norton and Velo's had been banned long before.HP is about 95 to 105,they reckon the Honda RS750 had maybe 110 available - but it's not HP,it's how to put it down as traction,and the V twins do that best.A blue groove track where they don't slide much will have a higher HP motor,a cushion track where they slide more will get a broader powerband and lower HP.KR rode XS Yamahas,highly modified 750s,but was severly hampered by the low hp,that's what made him so great - to push an outclassed bike beyond what was really possible.He's famous for riding the TZ750 powered dirttracker to clinch his title.Look at the throttle hand in both those shots,KR has the gas on,the Harley of Corkey Keener is in a throttle off slide,he'll hit the gas soon,but has probably overcooked the corner and needs to scrub off speed.(no brakes)

Another of Bart Markel,notice any resemblance to the modern road racing style? This is where it came from.