PDA

View Full Version : Would you attach extra lights?

cambridgedan
17th June 2009, 22:02
Does anyone know if you are allowed other lights on your bike, other than the front headlight/foglight and tail lights,
and if you are would you put extra lights on?? :msn-wink:

NighthawkNZ
17th June 2009, 22:13
Does anyone know if you are allowed other lights on your bike, other than the front headlight/foglight and tail lights,
and if you are would you put extra lights on?? :msn-wink:

Depends on colour, and how they are wired... ie you are not allowed red forward

But you can add extra driving lights... etc... I use to have a single driving spot light mounted above the standard light on my old XJ... It had to be wired to the hi/lo switch as well as on/off switch

Cheshire Cat
17th June 2009, 22:17
:rofl: I've seen neons on a biek :eek5:

.........Weird.

Squiggles
17th June 2009, 22:21
I was trying to get a couple of these (http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-1192-Platinum-Dichroic-Driving/dp/B000182E14) to fit to the DR to get better light around the corner, but got outbid and im not willing to pay the new price. Not sure about the legality.

dwnundabkr
17th June 2009, 22:48
i have been playing around with some leds on my bike (work in lighting)
i currently have a flexable strip of leds under my seat they are red on one side and blue on the other.I have had them on about a year now, no probs so far,
you dont see the leds as they are hidden, but give a glow on either side if the bike

Laxi
17th June 2009, 22:50

.........Weird.

yeah what would you think of this riding down the road?:tugger:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wLDKLBi7oII&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wLDKLBi7oII&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

EDIT: mind you, there'd be no "I didn't see him"

xgnr
17th June 2009, 22:54
You cannot have any more than one extra light on the front unless factory fitted (or some other waffle like that).

God forbid that you may be more visible to other road users.

The Stranger will be able to provide chapter and verse.

dwnundabkr
17th June 2009, 23:00
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wLDKLBi7oII&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wLDKLBi7oII&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

faaarrrrrk thats bright nahhhhhhh bugga that, needs to be discreet not in ya face

mossy1200
17th June 2009, 23:03
Only two forward facing lights while on high beam or low beam at a time.

cambridgedan
17th June 2009, 23:46
I think that the Suzuki had the potential to look cool but failed.
I just had the idea when I was driving home over the kaimais and saw trucks with all the extra orange lights and was wondering if you could add some lights to the bike where is could look cool still and be more seen at the same
Time

Cheshire Cat
18th June 2009, 00:04

haha.......that is true though...EVERYONE would see you....then crash into each other :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

scracha
18th June 2009, 09:37
haha.......that is true though...EVERYONE would see you....then crash into each other :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So yo can't fit a rear fog light?

Mystic13
18th June 2009, 09:40

.........Weird.

I'm a big fan of the neon and run blue on my bike. I rate it better than a high viz vest. I have no issues with cars at night. They all see me. I also love the neon look whether on cars or bikes.

So for $60.00 it was a good investment. And one I'd continue to make.

As for mixing red and blue as posted above that's not okay according to the LTSA rules. (or whatever they're called this month)

For neons a driving approaching from any direction mustn't be able to see the naked light.

As for spots you can buy some small good quality ones here which are the equal of the PIAA lights but a damned sight cheaper. I run two facing forward both individually switched. Both are specifically for night riding and fog.

The challenge for bikes is the lean in the corners. The high quality spots have very narrow beams.

A fog light provides good corner light.

James Deuce
18th June 2009, 09:40
In NZ we have a Government Department who look after the regulation to do with everything "vehicle". They have a website that tells you what you can and can't do in plain english.

Do NOT ask a bunch of idiots on a social networking site for information about regulations with a legal implication. If you (or they) get it wrong, they won't pay your fine.

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/vehicles/get-your-lights-right.html

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/rules/vehicle-lighting-2004.html

NighthawkNZ
18th June 2009, 09:58
In NZ we have a Government Department who look after the regulation to do with everything "vehicle". They have a website that tells you what you can and can't do in plain english.

Clear as mud... :lol:

cambridgedan
18th June 2009, 10:00

Do NOT ask a bunch of idiots on a social networking site for information about regulations with a legal implication if you (or they) get it wrong. They won't pay your fine.

Hey thanks for that, I have been looking for that page, cheers :2thumbsup

James Deuce
18th June 2009, 10:03
Wanna know how I found it?

I typed www.ltsa.govt.nz (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz) in the address bar and then "extra lights" in the search field on the homepage.

James Deuce helps those who help themselves.

Now I'm talking about myself in the virtual persona third person. Gah.

vifferman
18th June 2009, 12:23
Wanna know how I found it?
Y'know, given the HUGE number of really basic questions asked on KiwiBiker, I'm beginning to think we need to have a computing licence issued before people can be let loose on teh Interdweeb. Like, if you can't formulate a decent search string to find a particualr topic on the 'dweeb, it's an automatic fail, and you have to get someone else to post on forums or whatever.

CookMySock
18th June 2009, 12:31
So yo can't fit a rear fog light?Fit a LED tail lamp. They are sooper bright.

Steve

Indiana_Jones
18th June 2009, 12:35
Choasrider could hook you up with some strobing LED's bro (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1865699&postcount=41)...

-Indy

James Deuce
18th June 2009, 12:36
Clear as mud... :lol:

It's difficult to know how it could be any clearer. People refuse to read the actual regulations citing incomprehensibility, and then people complain about bullet points being unclear.

jim.cox
18th June 2009, 13:25
would you put extra lights on?

I would be cautious about extra lights

Two headlights on the same horizontal plane can make a near bike look like a far away car :(

NighthawkNZ
18th June 2009, 14:15
It's difficult to know how it could be any clearer. People refuse to read the actual regulations citing incomprehensibility, and then people complain about bullet points being unclear.
no sense of humour none what os ever... sheese

James Deuce
18th June 2009, 15:44
No. This 10 character thing is really bunching my unwashed undies too.

cambridgedan
18th June 2009, 17:11
I would be cautious about extra lights

Two headlights on the same horizontal plane can make a near bike look like a far away car :(

that is a good point, i dont thnk ill be adding lights to the front,
i am considering some blue lights hidden under the fearing to be more visable to drivers, but ill have it on a styley switch so i can turn them off if i dont want them :woohoo:

scumdog
18th June 2009, 17:50

A shame a few freakin' 4X$ types don't stick with that sort of idea:mad:
SIX lights on aound town at times.

Oh, on topic, normajeane (CB) and I both have two small spot/flood lights on our bikes, we use them only during daylight as running lights to increase visibility to cars on front of us.

Never had problems at WOF time or from 'the man'.:niceone:

scumdog
18th June 2009, 17:53

Except for what exactly constitues the difference between marking, driving, spot, auxiliary and side-lights.:bash:

Dschubba
18th June 2009, 18:03

wadda bout this? not that i'm complaining!

mossy1200
18th June 2009, 20:16
wadda bout this? not that i'm complaining!
looks like two high and two low beam.they can all operate at same time but they cant have dual element laps if you have four total.This is they way it was explained to me at testing station.Same as fog lights can be used on car but must not be able to turned on while four front lights are in operation.

xgnr
18th June 2009, 21:10
(CB) and I both have two small spot/flood lights on our bikes, we use them only during daylight as running lights to increase visibility to cars on front of us.

Never had problems at WOF time or from 'the man'.:niceone:

But its not legal... shame on you

NordieBoy
18th June 2009, 21:24
Do NOT ask a bunch of idiots on a social networking site for information about regulations with a legal implication. If you (or they) get it wrong, they won't pay your fine.

Read that stuff and get it wrong and LT will pay the fine?

scumdog
18th June 2009, 22:47
But its not legal... shame on you

No?
Well the lardy-arsed bagger H-Ds have two 'marker' lights as well as the headlights on at the same time and that's factory (I think....)

"But they're only marker lights occifer, they're OK, just look at all them Soft-Roaders(tm)with six lights on at once..."

xgnr
19th June 2009, 08:14
No?
Well the lardy-arsed bagger H-Ds have two 'marker' lights as well as the headlights on at the same time and that's factory (I think....)

"But they're only marker lights occifer, they're OK, just look at all them Soft-Roaders(tm)with six lights on at once..."

Cos it's factory its allowed... go figure... that particular regulation is an arse and widely ignored by WOF issuers, specially those that ride bikes. :niceone:

Dschubba
19th June 2009, 17:05
Yep, you might be right. Im off to have a look

peasea
19th June 2009, 17:10
Extra lights on bikes?
Is it Christmas already?

Wasp27
19th June 2009, 17:27
Oh, on topic, normajeane (CB) and I both have two small spot/flood lights on our bikes, we use them only during daylight as running lights to increase visibility to cars on front of us.:niceone:

Hi S/D, what brand /type of light did you use.......any chance of a pic...please. cheers W

BMWST?
19th June 2009, 20:11
looks like two high and two low beam.they can all operate at same time but they cant have dual element laps if you have four total.This is they way it was explained to me at testing station.Same as fog lights can be used on car but must not be able to turned on while four front lights are in operation.

in my car the foglights can be turned on any time the parking lights are on....so i can turn them on when the headlights are on high....never had a problem with the vtnz.i dont use them on high tho

scumdog
19th June 2009, 20:13
Hi S/D, what brand /type of light did you use.......any chance of a pic...please. cheers W

I'll get out to the garage tomorrow and have a look and get back to you.

xgnr
19th June 2009, 21:21
I am traumatised by the lack of concern about the legality of these extra lights... you guys better get a good lawyer

scumdog
19th June 2009, 21:24
I am traumatised by the lack of concern about the legality of these extra lights... you guys better get a good lawyer

When I have cause to need one I'll get one.<_<

Your trauna is caused by your paranoia grasshopper...

xgnr
19th June 2009, 21:33
When I have cause to need one I'll get one.<_<

Your trauna is caused by your paranoia grasshopper...

just having a wee piss take... stand down

bogan
19th June 2009, 21:57
after a breif skim (tldr) of those regulation thingys on the website (chur for links James Duece) the position lamps seem to be a good option for extra lighting. But i must wonder, if someone cant see the main headlight in its 60 odd watts of glory (i guestimate this number) will any legal amount of lighting help.

A novel solution to this high vis reflective paint like on ambulances and whatnot, when applied properly it doesnt look half bad. Not sure what colours are available, not sure what the legal status is, but ltsa search for reflective paint didnt turn up much so is probly sweet as.

NordieBoy
20th June 2009, 11:25
after a breif skim (tldr) of those regulation thingys on the website (chur for links James Duece) the position lamps seem to be a good option for extra lighting. But i must wonder, if someone cant see the main headlight in its 60 odd watts of glory (i guestimate this number) will any legal amount of lighting help.

I prefer the asymmetrical 1 up 1 down type lights.
It's something that catches the eye of the driver as it's not something they'd normally see and you can get away with a 35w bulb as it's not used to see but be seen.

scumdog
20th June 2009, 12:39

The thing is; with a headlamp the light is concentrated in a relatively narrow beam, as such a car approaching from a side-road may not notice it until fairly close to pulling out on front of you.

The marker lights I have are claimed to have a dispersion angle of 37 degrees so the light up (glare?) well to each side and are more noticed by drivers leaving drive-ways, side-roads etc

They also seem to make me more noticed by the driver of any car I catch up with as they move to the left within a few seconds, prior to that they seemed to just dwaddle out nearer the centre-line.

These marker lights are hopeless at night - just a mass of glare and not much distance, the reverse of headlights.

My 2-cents worth on their value.

Wasp27
20th June 2009, 15:01
I'll get out to the garage tomorrow and have a look and get back to you.

Sweet as...thanks
cheers W

frogamic
20th June 2009, 23:15
I have extra lights for "visibility" I think they work well cause people always look at them, get a few comments from fellow bikers too.

xgnr
1st July 2009, 21:24

yep the very same people who make the rules also insist on using cheesecutters as "safety barriers". who are the idiots?

scumdog
2nd July 2009, 18:21
yep the very same people who make the rules also insist on using cheesecutters as "safety barriers". who are the idiots?

So how many died as a result of hitting 'cheese-cutters'?

And how many head-ons have been prevented by them??:wait: