PDA

View Full Version : Toyota hilux engine knock when cold?

soundbeltfarm
19th June 2009, 09:31
we have a 07 hilux diesel and since about 15000km it has started makind a big knock when cold for about 4 mins.
does anyones here do it?
it is a big issue in oz and i know a couple here with it.
our ute in service today and waiting on a call from them.
they are having injector troubles and re programming the ecu on alot of them.
can you let me know if you are having this trouble, as i have veen informed that this will happen again even with the new injectors installed .
something to do with our diesal fuel here and in oz.
can anyone tell me what the minumun cetane rating is here for diesel?
in oz it is 46 and toyota reccomend 50 and up.

crazyhorse
19th June 2009, 09:33
Thought this was a bike site :scooter:

MSTRS
19th June 2009, 09:36
Thought this was a bike sight :scooter:

Oh boy, have you been misled....

Mully
19th June 2009, 09:57
My understanding (and I'm sure I'll be flamed for saying this) is that the issue with NZs diesel was suphur more than anything else.

Namely, it was rubbish compared to european stuff, which is why we got none of the good Euro diesel cars. I believe new diesel standards are now in place.

Just keep sending it back to the dealer until it's fixed.

Laava
19th June 2009, 10:34
Yep mine is noisy until warm too! Sounds like a fuckin holden! Others I spoke to have had new injectors put in but mine is out of warranty now:cry:

Laava
19th June 2009, 10:36
[QUOTE=Mully;1129266871]My understanding (and I'm sure I'll be flamed for saying this) is that the issue with NZs diesel was suphur more than anything else.QUOTE]

Pffttttt! Sulphur! You're not in Rotorua now Dr Ropata!

JimO
19th June 2009, 10:39
i have a 07 D4D that was having the same problem it was fixed under warranty by the local dealer, new injectors etc etc all fixed now, it is a world wide problem not only here and oz and its mainly in the upgrade model with the 3 back headrests and 2nd cupholder.

soundbeltfarm
19th June 2009, 13:37
yeah ours getting new injectors too.
i think they are replacing even if out of warranty period.
toyota should've recalled but i guess it not a safety issue and imagine the cost to do every one,
it is a 4500 job they said.
if your injectors have 6 wires instead of 3 they are more prone to the knock .
dont know when they will get done though because it sounds like they are doing a shit load of them.

Badjelly
19th June 2009, 13:39
we have a 07 hilux diesel and since about 15000km it has started makind a big knock when cold for about 4 mins.

Bugger! :(

peasea
19th June 2009, 14:54
i have a 07 D4D that was having the same problem it was fixed under warranty by the local dealer, new injectors etc etc all fixed now, it is a world wide problem not only here and oz and its mainly in the upgrade model with the 3 back headrests and 2nd cupholder.

Could it be that the second cupholder is loose?

Laava
19th June 2009, 15:30
Could it be that the second cupholder is loose?
Classic! The 2nd cupholder! What is up there! I amused the hell out of Mama Jo yanking to buggery on the passenger side "cup holder" until it tore out, busting off what chance I ever had of installing one! It would have cost 20c more to put the cup holder in, in the first place! Big fail Toyota! Ha ha ha!

peasea
19th June 2009, 15:32
Classic! The 2nd cupholder! What is up there! I amused the hell out of Mama Jo yanking to buggery on the passenger side "cup holder" until it tore out, busting off what chance I ever had of installing one! It would have cost 20c more to put the cup holder in, in the first place! Big fail Toyota! Ha ha ha!

I could tell you a story about Toyota......
Will PM it.

soundbeltfarm
19th June 2009, 15:50
I could tell you a story about Toyota......
Will PM it.

put it up here where we all can read it mate

peasea
19th June 2009, 15:56
put it up here where we all can read it mate

Might do, it's not exactly top secret.

JimO
24th June 2009, 11:21
Might do, it's not exactly top secret.

waiiiiiiiiiiiiiting

xwhatsit
24th June 2009, 13:32
It's a diesel... if it isn't knocking, it's a petrol engine and you need spark plugs!

JimO
24th June 2009, 13:56
It's a diesel... if it isn't knocking, it's a petrol engine and you need spark plugs!

modern deisel engines are quiet, fast and economical

xwhatsit
24th June 2009, 13:59
Nonetheless they remain compression-ignition.

My unfunny joke is ruined now.

Motu
24th June 2009, 17:39

?? - where? Maybe your modern deisel engine is quiet - but direct injection common rail diesels are very noisy compared to the old pre comp chamber diesels.

JimO
24th June 2009, 18:25
?? - where? Maybe your modern deisel engine is quiet - but direct injection common rail diesels are very noisy compared to the old pre comp chamber diesels.

i had a new 02 3.0 hilux that was noiser than my 07 D4D and it was quieter than my 96 2.8

Motu
24th June 2009, 19:35
I've got hearing aids - do you want to use them?.....sounds like you need to.

cowpoos
24th June 2009, 20:18
I've got hearing aids - do you want to use them?.....sounds like you need to.
I think he's quote with the bonnet down!! [which weight half a ton with noise deadening material in it!]

JimO
24th June 2009, 22:11
never opened the bonnet on any of the seven of them apart from putting water in the washer bottle

Motu
24th June 2009, 22:59
I know I'm in a DID of any brand soon as I put my foot down - it sounds like a concrete mixer under the bonnet.They are way noisier than a pre comp diesel.You need a hearing test - it's free,and so are the hearing aids.Works for me.....

JimO
25th June 2009, 07:05
I know I'm in a DID of any brand soon as I put my foot down - it sounds like a concrete mixer under the bonnet.They are way noisier than a pre comp diesel.You need a hearing test - it's free,and so are the hearing aids.Works for me.....

nothing wrong with my hearing

Motu
25th June 2009, 17:54
EH????

Are we doing a last word thing here??

JimO
25th June 2009, 19:08
perhaps...:Pokey:

Motu
25th June 2009, 19:20
We were just commenting today how noisy the Rodeo DID on the yard is - you can hear it start up wherever you are.You need to get out more...listen to a few diesels,see which ones make the most noise.

JimO
25th June 2009, 19:43
i have had 7 hiluxes, 2 mitsys and a chevvy V8 deisel, my current hilux is quieter than everything else i have owned a mate has a new navara and the hilux is quiter than that, the rodeo / colorado is a rattly old peice of poos

Motu
25th June 2009, 20:05
I drive that many different diesels a day....and I have hearing aids!

Oh,so now it's just your Hi Lux and not DID in general? Your Hi Lux is quieter because of soundproofing.

cowpoos
25th June 2009, 20:17
I think he's quote with the bonnet down!! [which weight half a ton with noise deadening material in it!]

I drive that many different diesels a day....and I have hearing aids!

Oh,so now it's just your Hi Lux and not DID in general? Your Hi Lux is quieter because of soundproofing.

<nothing written hear because I'm clever>