PDA

View Full Version : Custom Seats

Blackbird
23rd March 2005, 18:14
I'm doing the Southern Cross in May and as it involves ~4000 k's in 5 days, I feared for the condition of my bum with a standard Blackbird seat - surgery a sure bet!

Cajun advised me to check out his Father-in-law at McDonald Motor Trimmers (www.trimit.co.nz). Having duly done this, I took my seat to Tauranga for a complete rebuild last Saturday and got it back by courier today.

I had the front part of the seat lowered slightly (short legs) and completely reshaped to get a better weight distribution. The rear was raised slightly for my wife's comfort and curved slightly up for my comfort (to stop the wedding tackle being slammed into the tank by my wife every time I touch the brakes :doctor: ).

I've yet to try it on a ride but it feels superb and the pressure points have completely disappeared. Fantastic build quality and outstanding service which deserves recognition :2thumbsup

Cheers Guys

Geoff

Hitcher
23rd March 2005, 18:49
That is a classy looking piece of arse enhancement. If I had kept my ZRX, I was planning a similar modification.

Did you have to send an impression of your arse as well as the seat?

And I dare not ask what that piece of plastic pipe is for...

Grumpy
23rd March 2005, 18:53
Looks like another excellent "Rider" seat.

Had the seat done on my GSX1400 and was rapped in that. Have since done both the seats on the Z1000's in the garage.

Your arse will be forever grateful. :shake:

Blackbird
23rd March 2005, 19:35
The plastic pipe is not for enemas as my English heritage might suggest :confused:. It enables me to guide the plug for my radar detector in without looking vertically down - bloody hard with a helmet on!

No need for arse impressions, the practiced eye of Mr McDonald knows size DD cheeks when he sees them(errr.... covered that is!)

Thanks for your experience Grumpy - looking forward to testing it.

Geoff

Waylander
23rd March 2005, 19:36
That is a classy looking piece of arse enhancement. If I had kept my ZRX, I was planning a similar modification.

Did you have to send an impression of your arse as well as the seat?

That's ASS

Brought to you by TBDOTAA:niceone:

Blackbird
23rd March 2005, 19:39
That's ASS

Only if you spell as badly as Americans or chimpanzees :shake: (or an ASS I suppose)

Two Smoker
23rd March 2005, 19:41
Only heard great things!!! Im sending them my Gixxer seat soon...

Madguitarist!
23rd March 2005, 19:42
Met Cajun at the last motorcycle expo and was sold on the custom seat. Was planning to do it later in the yr but having heard all your positive feedback I really can't wait!! (I'm a bit of a short arsh)... :yeah:

vifferman
23rd March 2005, 19:46
That looks better than the Corbin seats, and I bet it was considerably cheaper too!
Next mod for the VifFerraRi, mayhap...

Waylander
23rd March 2005, 19:55
Have to remember those guys when I get a new seat for Virago.

Krusti
23rd March 2005, 20:17
Looks like another excellent "Rider" seat.

Had the seat done on my GSX1400 and was rapped in that. Have since done both the seats on the Z1000's in the garage.

Your arse will be forever grateful. :shake:

How much for the Z1000 seat may I ask? Ballpark figure will be fine. :cool:

Hitcher
23rd March 2005, 20:47
That's ASS

Brought to you by TBDOTAA
What a load of onopordum...

Grumpy
23rd March 2005, 22:23
How much for the Z1000 seat may I ask? Ballpark figure will be fine. :cool:

Around $170 for both. Had the front one altered and then the rear recovered so that the vinyl matched.

Blackbird
7th April 2005, 07:55
Last night, I did a 280 km non-stop night ride in the Waikato/BOP to bring up my night riding skills ready for the Southern Cross and to test the new McDonalds “Rider” custom seat that I recently fitted – here’s a brief evaluation.

The longest I’d previously ridden with the new seat was only 10 km to work, so didn’t know what to expect. After 30 km or so, I was slightly concerned as it felt firmer than the stock seat, although perfectly comfortable. I guess I was expecting something a bit plusher as it bedded in. As the ride progressed, the comfort level simply didn’t change, absolutely superb throughout and I got off the bike as fresh as starting out. I guess this goes to show that “soft” doesn’t equal comfort, shape does. Why manufacturers can’t always get it right themselves bearing in mind all the R&D money they chuck at everything on the bike else is beyond me. This product really delivers and thanks again Neal for introducing me to your Father in Law :2thumbsup

A couple of further comments. Because my Teknic jacket leaks, I took a punt and had a new jacket delivered yesterday from Motomail. It was the Arlen Ness Max model they have on special at ~$200. What a fantastic buy! Warm as toast with a tee shirt underneath, even though it was pretty cold over the Mamaku Range. Have no doubt it’ll be waterproof too with its high spec. Nice looking jacket too.

Finally, it’s quite a while since I’ve ridden any distance at night and I was really hacked off with the number of car drivers who were either very late dipping their headlights or simply didn’t bother. Never really noticed that before. In the end, I started giving them a burst from my 100 W main beam and that seemed to do the trick! :angry2:

Cheers

Geoff

Wolf
7th April 2005, 14:20
That's ASS

It's for him to sit on, not his donkey.

From TSFPOST

Zapf
7th April 2005, 14:30
Last night, I did a 280 km non-stop night ride in the Waikato/BOP to bring up my night riding skills ready for the Southern Cross and to test the new McDonalds “Rider” custom seat that I recently fitted – here’s a brief evaluation.

The longest I’d previously ridden with the new seat was only 10 km to work, so didn’t know what to expect. After 30 km or so, I was slightly concerned as it felt firmer than the stock seat, although perfectly comfortable. I guess I was expecting something a bit plusher as it bedded in. As the ride progressed, the comfort level simply didn’t change, absolutely superb throughout and I got off the bike as fresh as starting out. I guess this goes to show that “soft” doesn’t equal comfort, shape does. Why manufacturers can’t always get it right themselves bearing in mind all the R&D money they chuck at everything on the bike else is beyond me. This product really delivers and thanks again Neal for introducing me to your Father in Law :2thumbsup

A couple of further comments. Because my Teknic jacket leaks, I took a punt and had a new jacket delivered yesterday from Motomail. It was the Arlen Ness Max model they have on special at ~$200. What a fantastic buy! Warm as toast with a tee shirt underneath, even though it was pretty cold over the Mamaku Range. Have no doubt it’ll be waterproof too with its high spec. Nice looking jacket too.

Finally, it’s quite a while since I’ve ridden any distance at night and I was really hacked off with the number of car drivers who were either very late dipping their headlights or simply didn’t bother. Never really noticed that before. In the end, I started giving them a burst from my 100 W main beam and that seemed to do the trick! :angry2:

Cheers

Geoff

re cage high beams.... I find that if you leave your high beam on they'll go.... "arrr too bright, (dips to low beam)" hoping that you'll do that same.

So have your high beam on normally. and them wait for cages to dip before dipping yours...

Waylander
7th April 2005, 15:04
re cage high beams.... I find that if you leave your high beam on they'll go.... "arrr too bright, (dips to low beam)" hoping that you'll do that same.

So have your high beam on normally. and them wait for cages to dip before dipping yours...
Unless ofcourse they are thinking the same thing in wich case both are blinded and both get pissed off about it and there fore leave them on for the next person and begins a vicious cycle of blindness.