PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh, anti-biking mother

ScarFace
21st June 2009, 20:19
Hey Guys,

Im 19 and Im currently living in Hamilton, I have been saving up for ages after me and my mate decided to buy motorcycles, he bought his about a month ago (91 FZR) which has made me even more keen to by one myself. But whenever I bring up the topic of my buying a motorcycle to my mum (yes I live at home) shes goes all over-protective mother on me and shouts no repeatedly. She is pretty determined that I wll crash, burst into flames and die as soon as my hand touches a bike.

So im opening up the forums for you guys to help me, how can I convince her it will be alrite without her turing into the T-Rex from Jurassic park and ripping off my head?

How would/did you guys handle this situation?

ScarFace.

James Deuce
21st June 2009, 20:22
You can't.

The only thing you can do is get a real job, leave home, buy a bike and live with the consequences.

There isn't any middle ground.

The only way you can convince her that you're serious is to do the above, buy ALL THE GEAR (budget between $1 and $2,000 for gear alone) do a couple of courses with RRRS and the apologise every single time you see her.

James Deuce
21st June 2009, 20:23
You don't need to make multiple posts about it. We get it that you want EVERYONE to answer, but there are no magic solutions.

98tls
21st June 2009, 20:29
When i was 19 i probably wouldnt have taken any notice of her ranting and gone ahead anyway,but looking back that wouldnt have been the smartest move.Possibly sit her down and go through the motions of having a discussion about it,i guess at the end of the day she loves ya and is just doing what moms do when they love there son..look out for them.Is there an older experianced biker that you know?If so maybe he could be there as well.I wish you luck,above all when it gets frustrating remember shes only looking out for you in the only way she knows how.Moms are good though at times frustrating.

frogamic
21st June 2009, 20:31
My mum was like this too, I think after I'd been going on about it for a while and chosen a nice slow bike to buy she decided she may as well give up lol

PirateJafa
21st June 2009, 20:33
Buy a bike. THEN tell her, once it's lovingly nestled in the garage.

The Pastor
21st June 2009, 20:35
Buy a bike. THEN tell her, once it's lovingly nestled in the garage.
its what i did, parents dont listen to reason.

chrispy121
21st June 2009, 20:40
buy it and store it at your mates place thats what I did

Indiana_Jones
21st June 2009, 20:40
A few people I know seemed to have this problem.

One of them just brought a bike and hid it at his mate's place lol

I was fortunate to have a father who had biked and he shoved me onto a bike before I knew what was happening after I mentioned I fnacy giving it a go lol.

Afterwards he got himself his 1st bike in about 20 years :D

-Indy

16silver
21st June 2009, 20:42
simple, move out like i did, my mum wouldn't let me buy a car so i said i'm getting a bike or a car, she said ur not buying that damned car, so i brought a bike to piss her off and got kicked out because of it, i'm much better off now because i get along with her much better and like living with flatmates

chrispy121
21st June 2009, 20:46
dude your 19 legally you can do what you want buy the bike if she kicks you out you and your new bike can sleep in a tent with your exhaust pipe for a heater:buggerd::2thumbsup

Winston001
21st June 2009, 20:51
And please - take it easy. Riding a motorcycle is deceptively simple. The exuberance of youth makes you go faster and lets you think you are good.....until one day some idiot turns in front of you, or you hit a patch of oil......

Mum's right. Unfortunately for her. Her fears are rational. So get your bike, take it easy - for your family's sake. You'll have fun. And as James says, do some RSSS courses.

jtzzr
21st June 2009, 20:51
It`s alot easier to ask for forgiveness ,than it is to ask for permission.

Ixion
21st June 2009, 20:53
Why do you think your mother is wrong? An awful lot of motorcyclists do end up in a pine box. It's a dangerous pasttime and statistically the odds are you'll die.

98tls
21st June 2009, 20:56
Why do you think your mother is wrong? An awful lot of motorcyclists do end up in a pine box. It's a dangerous pasttime and statistically the odds are you'll die. Yep true,maybe he should tell her hes taking up smoking instead.

crazyhorse
21st June 2009, 20:57
I had young children when I first bought a bike - although i am a female, I turned up at my mum's place on the bike - that was the first she knew about it - I have encouraged both my kids (now 16 and 18) to ride bikes too.

Once you have the bike, she can hardly stay mad with you, and perhaps if you show her you are responsible it will be ok. She cares about your safety, so try to appreciate it from her point of view. You are 19, so really do not need her permission.

Good Luck

scumdog
21st June 2009, 21:03
What's wrong with this world - a teenager cares what his mothers thoughts are.???:wacko:

Motu
21st June 2009, 21:04
When you are a parent yourself you will understand her concern.

Nasty
21st June 2009, 21:10
James has good advice ... I have lost my sisters partner and last year my own to accidents on bikes ... your mum has justified fears. The same ones that my parents have. They accept that I ride .. and they know I am more than a little aware of the risks.

Danae
21st June 2009, 21:11
That sucks man.

My dad was all for me getting a bike. When I got it my mum asked to have a sit on it and said, "I'd forgotten I liked bikes!" Apparently she used to hoon around her farm on dirtbikes as a kid.

Solly
21st June 2009, 21:13
Dude, it's not so much you she doesn't trust as much as all the other crazy farkers out there.
Try acting responsible in everything you say and do (if you already are)......keep it up. Water will always wear away stone.

Your mum has only your best interests at heart.

Headbanger
Whose living your life....You or your ma?

Your leaving it a bit late to cut the apron strings.

Lurch
Maybe convince her to let you do some rider training first? Once you've shown you're serious about it all she might just come around.

rat biker 08
21st June 2009, 21:17
Get some nuts:bash: and get a bike if your mum gets upset give her a big hug :hug:then till her your 19 and you can do what you want.:scooter:

oldrider
21st June 2009, 21:32
Hey mothers feel like that about everything you do now, it's what they do, it's their job!

It's all part of the weaning process, she is right and so are you!

Sooner or later you will be riding that bike and she will still be worrying!

Even still later you will be listening to the same worries from your own wife and kids!

Your own mother will still be worrying!

Be careful, be ever alert and enjoy your bike. :ride:

slofox
21st June 2009, 21:37
Your Mum's right - bikes are dangerous murderous creations of the devil and you will kill yourself on it as soon as you buy it...look at all us lot on here - we have all killed ourselves on bikes at least five times each...vifferman being the worst of all - you should read the post he put up last week...

I dunno - when I bought my first bike I lived hundreds of miles away from the parentals...wasn't a problem really...

Indiana_Jones
21st June 2009, 21:39
Why do you think your mother is wrong? An awful lot of motorcyclists do end up in a pine box. It's a dangerous pasttime and statistically the odds are you'll die.

Such a happy cunt arn't we Ixion? lol

-Indy

CookMySock
21st June 2009, 21:41
What's wrong with this world - a teenager cares what his mothers thoughts are.???:wacko:My young fella is the same. He'll stand up at the gates of hell for his mother.

Get some training bro - lots of it. There are courses for africa over your way.

Get an $80 pocketbike and race it on the track. Tell your mum the road is for touring and the track is for racing.

Buy some books and read them until they fall apart.. leave them lying around on the coffee table - explain that it's critical safety information and tell your mum about the cool things you learn.

Get some old fart on a boring bike and introduce him to your mum as your mentor. Go on rides with them.

Buy ALL of your safety gear BEFORE you go anywhere near any bike. Make it all the good expensive stuff. Tell your mum why its imperative to have all the safety gear before you even OWN a bike. Explain all the features of the safety gear to your mum.

Get someone to teach you to steer properly.

Tell your mum how much she means to you, and that you are not going to get your stupid self bent.

Don't tell her not to worry. She IS GOING TO WORRY.

Live up to your promise, and DON'T BE AN ARSE on your motorbike. Picture your mums tears when you are dead. Remind yourself of this every time you ride.

Tell your mates to fuck off and do stupid shit on their own - you want no part of it.

edit: ask your mum to help polish your bike. Polish it like you have never polished anything in your life.

Is this helping?

Steve

Ixion
21st June 2009, 21:45
Such a happy cunt arn't we Ixion? lol

-Indy

I done a course in it. Misery 101.

anonbiker
21st June 2009, 21:48
Take your mothers advice on board. I.e. get as much safety gear as possible.

My dad was very scared of me crashing so I got some decent skateboard knee and elbow pads (couldn't afford proper MC jacket) and the knee pads definitely helped when I fell off my bike a few days ago. (Lesson learnt, stay away from gravel!!!) I also got steel toe boots, ankle wraps and shin guards. I think they all helped. Still needed extra protection though on lower arm... That got road rash and the gloves I had weren't very good either even though they were leather apparently.

Try and chat with your mum. She loves you of course. Wear safety gear if you do ride though. I took it lightly at first and am now glad I had at least some gear.

PirateJafa
21st June 2009, 21:55

Ain't that the paper that costs you a gold ring, suit and a big cake to sit?

Ixion
21st June 2009, 21:58
Nope. That's Human Sexuality - Lessons in Disappointment 102.

ScarFace
21st June 2009, 22:17
Thanks guys, all this infomation is helping, I really wana be considerate about this as living at home and 200m away from Uni and Work is friggin sweet, saves me money for a bike :) so I dont really wana get kicked out, but i mean shit, its not like Im an alcoholic, chain smoker with a taste for expensive women of the night. I just wana get some kicks another way, save some dosh on fuel, and look cool.

http://www.transport.govt.nz/research/Documents/Motorcycle-Crash-Factsheet.pdf

Just had a read of these stats, Im jus gona present them how they are, she cant argue with M.O.T. stats haha,

two people died aged 15-19 due to a motorcycle accident in 2007,

you are twice as likely to crash with a higher cc bike, 500+

71% of the time its not the biker at fault,

45% of the time its due to alcohol, speed, drugs or a combonation of all,

only 21% of crashes involve learner bikers.

Not too sure what my next step is now.....

Little Miss Trouble
21st June 2009, 22:27
Hmm, since you still live at home you do to some extent abide by her rules. Talk to her rationally, explain that you understand her fears and will do everything in your power to reduce the risks. Get the right gear, wear it all the time and get yourself to some proper training.

I had it easy - I'd been out of home for a few years and was already been giving my mum shocks well before then so when I told her I was getting a bike she just accepted it, and even bought some of my gear for me :2thumbsup

LaytonNZ
21st June 2009, 22:50
Funny enough i hated bikes untill i was 14 Then i went bike crazy! My mother and farther ride so..it took nothing to get a bike, But there was one condition, i spent 1,5k on gear and at least 300$ on a helmet.

98tls
21st June 2009, 23:03
Thanks guys, all this infomation is helping, I really wana be considerate about this as living at home and 200m away from Uni and Work is friggin sweet, saves me money for a bike :) so I dont really wana get kicked out, but i mean shit, its not like Im an alcoholic, chain smoker with a taste for expensive women of the night. I just wana get some kicks another way, save some dosh on fuel, and look cool.

http://www.transport.govt.nz/research/Documents/Motorcycle-Crash-Factsheet.pdf

Just had a read of these stats, Im jus gona present them how they are, she cant argue with M.O.T. stats haha,

two people died aged 15-19 due to a motorcycle accident in 2007,

you are twice as likely to crash with a higher cc bike, 500+

45% of the time its due to alcohol, speed, drugs or a combonation of all,

only 21% of crashes involve learner bikers.

Not too sure what my next step is now..... Wouldnt bother her with stats myself,Theres plenty of riders groups around,find one front up introduce yourself and i have no doubts all will go well,lots of benefits ie good buggers that have done it all before and many that are prepared to go out of there way to help out with sound advice re what bike/how to ride it etc,your mom sounds like a good un so methinks she will understand actions speak louder than words,above all no matter how frustrating it gets take a deep breath and remember in her own way shes just looking out for you.Good luck and post up how it all goes.

bikerboy011
22nd June 2009, 00:25
Well my parents where the same untill i convinced my dad and hey look what he got me:D...

sil3nt
22nd June 2009, 00:38
My mum was against me getting a bike. But she couldn't do much about it when she was thousands of kilometers away in europe :bleh: Now i get lectures about getting the right gear all the time :yes:

CookMySock
22nd June 2009, 07:24
Wouldnt bother her with stats myselfI agree. You are much better off to be focused on what YOU can do about issues.

Steve

wysper
22nd June 2009, 07:32
When i was 19 i probably wouldnt have taken any notice of her ranting and gone ahead anyway,but looking back that wouldnt have been the smartest move.Possibly sit her down and go through the motions of having a discussion about it,i guess at the end of the day she loves ya and is just doing what moms do when they love there son..look out for them.Is there an older experianced biker that you know?If so maybe he could be there as well.I wish you luck,above all when it gets frustrating remember shes only looking out for you in the only way she knows how.Moms are good though at times frustrating.

This it good advice. See if you can pick a time when emotions about THIS subject aren't running high. Maybe after dinner one night. And see if you can find out what her concerns really are. Mostly I think it will be that she doesn't want her baby to get hurt.

I am a dad now, my daugter is only 5 and already I am dreading her dating :mad::calm:

As a parent I love my kids to bits and don't want them to come to any harm, but some harm is part of living and learning. The key will be to try to keep calm and don't blow up and make it a fight.

Talk about the saftey courses you will be doing, how you know it is a dangerous pasttime but you really want to try it and you will be as responsible and careful as possible. You will bring your mum's baby home safe.

Good luck.

davebullet
22nd June 2009, 07:43
Have you been a reckless youngster? Have you been convicted of drunk driving? Have you crashed their car due to recklessness?

If you have been responsible up until now - remind your mother of that. Talk to her about the dangers. Show her you have done some research (or go and do it). Show your parents you are fully informed (and teach them. You will gain their confidence and approval).

Her concern is a parents one. Meaning instinct more likely than knowledge. If you have proven to her your responsibility with vehicles over the last few years and can sit down and discuss it with her, you will win her over.

Whatever you do, never raise your voice and yell at her. Don't tell her she doesn't understand. Show her you are in control of yourself when discussing with her. Act maturely and you will be given the responsibility.

Best of luck.

Voltaire
22nd June 2009, 07:48
When you are a parent yourself you will understand her concern.

Yes, I cringe when I think of the things I did with motor vehicles when I was young.....mind you cars were slow then....Z1000's were not.
Buy all the gear and get insurance, with whats left buy a bike ;)

BiK3RChiK
22nd June 2009, 09:03
Maybe even get some older rider to offer to take her for a little pootle around on the back and she might be next in line for a bike:2thumbsup

HungusMaximist
22nd June 2009, 09:18
All I can suggest is that don't be a dick about it and just be responsible as possible. Motorcycling isn't a walk in the park, even with all the stats and the pros you've listed,

Seeing that, I got my first bike in Melbourne so my parents didn't really have any input. When I moved back home in Aucks, one day I just rocked home with a bike, probably not the best example.

Just do what you gotta do, and make sure if you do get a bike, get insurance!

NDORFN
22nd June 2009, 09:22
Ask her if you can at least get your learners. Take her with you to the Hamilton Riding School and introduce her to Ward. He'll convince her.

Askelon
22nd June 2009, 09:31
I just turned up home one day and said look what I bought.. Did the same with my first tatt.. My parents werent happy, they got over it.. :D

James Deuce
22nd June 2009, 09:38
Ignore the people trying to get you to "convert" your Mum. They're ignoring the basic premises that people only change if they want and that you can't change anyone's mind on based on your own opinion.

Your Mum is risk averse on your behalf for a whole bunch of reasons that I hope are obvious to you and you obviously respect her enough to to pay a small amount of attention to her objections.

Your Mum isn't going to accept any of your reasoning while you are living at home. If you really want this you have to cut the apron strings and move out. If the benefits of staying at home in the short term outweigh the negatives of doing your bike license and buying a bike then wait until you are in a position to achieve your goals. Don't turn it into a "kicked out" scenario.

Winston001
22nd June 2009, 10:15
Ignore the people trying to get you to "convert" your Mum. They're ignoring the basic premises that people only change if they want and that you can't change anyone's mind on based on your own opinion.

Your Mum is risk averse on your behalf for a whole bunch of reasons that I hope are obvious to you and you obviously respect her enough to to pay a small amount of attention to her objections.

Your Mum isn't going to accept any of your reasoning while you are living at home. If you really want this you have to cut the apron strings and move out. If the benefits of staying at home in the short term outweigh the negatives of doing your bike license and buying a bike then wait until you are in a position to achieve your goals. Don't turn it into a "kicked out" scenario.

I completely agree with James. At 19 it is very hard for you to understand your mum's perspective. Lets just say that no parent should ever have to bury their child........

RT527
22nd June 2009, 10:22
Ahhhh so you got married too:whistle:

thecharmed01
22nd June 2009, 12:31
My young fella is the same. He'll stand up at the gates of hell for his mother.
Get some training bro - lots of it. There are courses for africa over your way.
Get an $80 pocketbike and race it on the track. Tell your mum the road is for touring and the track is for racing.
Buy some books and read them until they fall apart.. leave them lying around on the coffee table - explain that it's critical safety information and tell your mum about the cool things you learn.
Get some old fart on a boring bike and introduce him to your mum as your mentor. Go on rides with them.
Buy ALL of your safety gear BEFORE you go anywhere near any bike. Make it all the good expensive stuff. Tell your mum why its imperative to have all the safety gear before you even OWN a bike. Explain all the features of the safety gear to your mum.
Get someone to teach you to steer properly.
Tell your mum how much she means to you, and that you are not going to get your stupid self bent.
Don't tell her not to worry. She IS GOING TO WORRY.
Live up to your promise, and DON'T BE AN ARSE on your motorbike. Picture your mums tears when you are dead. Remind yourself of this every time you ride.
Tell your mates to fuck off and do stupid shit on their own - you want no part of it.
edit: ask your mum to help polish your bike. Polish it like you have never polished anything in your life.
Is this helping?
Steve

I have to say this is a really well thought out post..... and I agree wholeheartedly.

I am a mum and I know that even now my son LOVES motorbikes. He giggles at the sound of a 2-stroke starting and you cannot keep him away from them - he is not even a year old yet.
I have had to resign myself to the fact that seeing as his father and I ride, he will to so my way of dealing with that is that I will make sure that he starts out right.
He will have people teaching him how to ride, how to stay safe (well...safe as he can) on the bike and how to ride defensively.
I have already told his father he will have the most expensive gear if that's what he needs. Cost will not be a factor in keeping him in good quality helmet, body armour and clothing. No cheap stuff for him. The thought of him being hurt is just heart-wrenching, but I wont stop him, just prepare him as much as I possibly can.....then pray LOL
If he wants to keep his bike however, he WILL have to learn to look after it. He will be cleaning his own bike and gear after rides and he will have to learn to do at least basic servicing on it from the get go. Disrespect the bike, and lose it.

I think you have to show your mother you are serious about getting and keeping the bike and show her you are going to ride properly, not be an idiot about it and not go into it in a half-assed manner.
Buy good quality riding gear, as said above, learn to ride, and learn about looking after a motorcycle.
If you can show her you will be responsible about it, and that you are keen enough to learn to fix & clean it, it will make a big difference to the time it takes her to speak to you again after you buy it LOL

For most mothers, seeing their teenage boy CLEANING something is huge. They wont clean their rooms, bodies or clothes themselves, so cleaning anything is a big sign of how much they love it!!!

:2thumbsup

vifferman
22nd June 2009, 12:56
My Mum wasn't too keen on me getting a bike at 15, but my Dad had a bike when he was younger, so he talked her round. I wrote my first bike off the day after my 17th birthday. :pinch:
Now it's my kids who give me a hard time, with #2Son talking about me riding a "Dangercycle" or "Murderbike". I suspect he's just taking the piss, as he worked part-time at a bike shop for a while, and aspired to owning a bike a coupe of years ago.

Headbanger
22nd June 2009, 13:00
Apparently my dear old mum was 100 percent against it, I never noticed.:lol:

idleidolidyll
22nd June 2009, 13:07
You are 19, ignore your mother and do what you have a legal right to do.

I bought my first bike at 15

Winston001
22nd June 2009, 13:14
I am a mum and I know that even now my son LOVES motorbikes. He giggles at the sound of a 2-stroke starting and you cannot keep him away from them - he is not even a year old yet....

You sound just like a lady journalist who interviewed me a couple of weeks ago. Her 4 yr old notices bikes everywhere he goes and wanted a real one for his birthday. :2thumbsup His friends take no notice - just him.

If a child gets the bug for something then usually it doesn't go away....

vifferman
22nd June 2009, 13:22
That's not entirely true. I've noticed that small kids are almost all fascinated by motorbikes, then when they get to a certain age, many of them have lost that, or learned that they are 'bad'. I suspect an awful lot of people would feel differently about bikes once they'd sat on one and felt the exhilaration of twisting the throttle and rocketing off into the distance.

thecharmed01
22nd June 2009, 13:24
You sound just like a lady journalist who interviewed me a couple of weeks ago. Her 4 yr old notices bikes everywhere he goes and wanted a real one for his birthday. :2thumbsup His friends take no notice - just him.

Hehe, unfortunately we have the bug, so I knew it would happen.
We have been taking him to Trail Rides since he was 6 mths old and he has always loved bikes and the noise. He has no fear of the noise, even 200 bikes caning past the pram doesnt make him bat an eyelid - he just gets upset if he can hear but not see them!! He often plays in our carpark round the bikes when the guys are tinkering and sits on them while they rev them up LOL

crazyhorse
22nd June 2009, 15:25
Leave home - easy answer, then she won't know what you're up to

Squid
22nd June 2009, 17:12
Leave home - easy answer, then she won't know what you're up to

then arrive for dinner one night on a bike :2thumbsup

Before I got my 1st bike the condition from Mum and Dad was that I had to have my full car licence and a car 1st. Looking back that was a good way to do it. Didnt think so at the time but I survived.

Badjelly
22nd June 2009, 17:38
My cousin died in a motorbike accident aged 19 or so. I took up biking a year or 2 later aged about 17. My Mum must have been worried sick. She let me know about her concern, but she never stopped me, bless her. "I'll be careful, Mum," I said. And I was, quite a lot of the time.

Solly
22nd June 2009, 17:53
............"I'll be careful, Mum," I said. And I was, quite a lot of the time.

...and they all lived happily ever after.

The End

:lol::lol::lol:

skidMark
22nd June 2009, 18:11
I never even mentioned motorcycles...

came home one day on a brand new bike...

she was not amused but nothing she could do...

perhaps throw her some leway and ask if you can get a bike if once you have it you spend some money on professional rider training...

then she probably wont be so worried about it.

ScarFace
22nd June 2009, 18:13
So this is where it stands:

The choice was between getting a bike and moving out or having the money and staying at home.

I choose the latter since my dad gave me the oppotunity to come back to him in a year, and maybe things would have changed.

I couldnt change my mums opinion for anything since the root of her problems stemmed from other road users (thus not myself), even though I showed her my big red jacket with all its scotch relfective material and my planned white helemt she wouldnt have a bar of it. So without the abiltiy to control traffic I had to let my bike dream die.

It was pretty depressing deleting all my watchlists and favourite catergories.

So I think thats going to be me signing off, I had a brief lick of the ice-cream that is Motorcycling and I wasnt aloud anymore, it tasted worse that way.

Yet I am still optimistic that I will get one, its just a matter of time.

Thanks all for your input its much appriciated,

ScarFace

hmmm, I have money for a tattoo now..... :devil2:

James Deuce
22nd June 2009, 18:16
You don;t have to fade away. Not everyone who psts on KB has a bike or rides on the road.

smoky
22nd June 2009, 18:17
statistically the odds are you'll die.

Really? are you sure?

FJRider
22nd June 2009, 18:21
Really? are you sure?

Nah ... I've been riding for 35 years, haven't died once ... :whistle:

smoky
22nd June 2009, 18:21
On Wednesdays, the Laxed Out Riders group from Hamilton, meet at the Te Rapa tavern for a burger and chips - bring her along to meet them, they're a chilled out responsible bunch, it might put her mind to rest a little.

smoky
22nd June 2009, 18:22

well thats two of us then :2thumbsup

FJRider
22nd June 2009, 18:25
Getting MY first bike was my Mum's idea .... Get a new mum ... or adopt one. :lol:

sunhuntin
22nd June 2009, 18:29
not really a hang of a lot you can do. i know my own mother worries herself half to death everytime i go out on the bike, but she would never attempt to stop me, considering shes the only one in my family to not hold a bike license, lol.
mothers have always and will always worry about their offspring... its natural and nothing us kids can do about it. they felt the same your first day of school, or the first time you drove a car.
and whoever said it was right... no parent wants to bury a child... its not the natural order of things.
dont show her the stats... they wont help. the fact that xx% of accidents were caused by someone else will not put her mind at ease. when someone wants to kill you, there is very little you can do to avoid it... most of the time, survival is nothing but luck.

bide your time, save your money and cherish your mother. bikes will still be around in the future... your mother may not.

The Stranger
22nd June 2009, 18:40
Hey Guys,

Im 19 and Im currently living in Hamilton, I have been saving up for ages after me and my mate decided to buy motorcycles, he bought his about a month ago (91 FZR) which has made me even more keen to by one myself. But whenever I bring up the topic of my buying a motorcycle to my mum (yes I live at home) shes goes all over-protective mother on me and shouts no repeatedly. She is pretty determined that I wll crash, burst into flames and die as soon as my hand touches a bike.

So im opening up the forums for you guys to help me, how can I convince her it will be alrite without her turing into the T-Rex from Jurassic park and ripping off my head?

ScarFace.

Is she hot?
if so have a party so she can meet all the awesome people who ride bikes.
If not - you're on your own.

Winston001
22nd June 2009, 18:41
I couldnt change my mums opinion for anything since the root of her problems stemmed from other road users (thus not myself), even though I showed her my big red jacket with all its scotch relfective material and my planned white helemt she wouldnt have a bar of it. So without the abiltiy to control traffic I had to let my bike dream die.

It was pretty depressing deleting all my watchlists and favourite catergories.

So I think thats going to be me signing off, I had a brief lick of the ice-cream that is Motorcycling and I wasnt aloud anymore, it tasted worse that way.

Yet I am still optimistic that I will get one, its just a matter of time.

Thats fine. It might not seem like it but you have plenty of time. I didn't buy a Ducati until I was 50...:dodge:

As for this place, lot of fun, lot of laughs, in many ways its the best internet board in NZ. Stay around. :2thumbsup

gatch
22nd June 2009, 18:57
Nothing wrong with waiting for a bit to get your bike man, just so long as you don't give up on it completely..

Would be a shame (no dis-respect to your old lady) to let the parents run your transactions, when your out of home you can do whatever the fuck you want :D

Hookers, crack, black jack and bikes for all !

sAsLEX
22nd June 2009, 19:15

ScarFace.

Yvan eht nioj!

skidMark
22nd June 2009, 19:23
Nothing wrong with waiting for a bit to get your bike man, just so long as you don't give up on it completely..

Would be a shame (no dis-respect to your old lady) to let the parents run your transactions, when your out of home you can do whatever the fuck you want :D

Hookers, crack, black jack and bikes for all !

theres an idea... tell her if you ant have a bike youll spend all the money on crack...:whistle:

bsasuper
22nd June 2009, 19:26
You dont have to move out of home.If you get a bike just be prepared to (1) make your mum cry (2)if theres a dad on the scene, he will threaten to have it crushed.Make sure you show you are responsible with its use, have good riding gear, have it insured, this will have mum at ease a little.Dont annoy your mum with it, ie starting it up all hours of the night, this will have a negative effect on her, now help out around the house more than usual- could work. good luck.

smoky
22nd June 2009, 19:41
As for this place, lot of fun, lot of laughs, in many ways its the best internet board in NZ. Stay around. :2thumbsup

Not much to do down in Invercargill then?

jtzzr
22nd June 2009, 19:49

Are you sure? No your`e right , it was someone else I was talking to.

breakaway
22nd June 2009, 19:59
It`s alot easier to ask for forgiveness ,than it is to ask for permission.

True that. My parents had major issues until I actually got the bike, then the next day everything was good as gold. Just takes time for them to get used to it.

And to all the nay sayers, fuck giving up the thrills of living for the security existence.

Mom
22nd June 2009, 21:11
You might gather from my logon name I am a Mother. I have 3 kids ranging in age from 22 to 17. I may even be a recent expert on the teenaged youff of today.

I guess I am not your average Mommy, I ride a bike and have done since I was 16 years old. I have a very healthy respect for my life, and an almost as well developed sense of how important I am to the ones around me that would be devastated should something happen to me on my bike. I am a mitigator of risk as far as both those things go.

My son rides, I guess there was very little hope for him really, both his parents ride and have done all his life. He started off on a scooter to buzz around town on. While that was ok here in a small town, the city is no place for a scooter :dodge:

He rang me a while ago and said he was going to get a bigger bike and I said good on you! Go for it etc. We had a bit of a chat about what he was going to get. Then he had the hide to tell me I was an unnatural Mother! Most Mothers would be dead set against the idea apparently.

I am not an unnatural Mother. My son knows how I feel about ATGATT (he may or may not :yawn: about it) he from time to time tells me I am an old fart and should "lighten up" :D but he knows the score about riding.

Dont lie to your Mother, dont defy her wishes. She loves you and there is nothing you can do to stop her loving you to the stage you simply have to get out of the house and live for yourself. You are not so young as you cant fly the coup and make your own way in the world. Respect her desire to keep you safe, you are her little boy afterall.

You will be amazed at how wonderful your relationship with your Mommy will be once you are out there doing it!

sondela
22nd June 2009, 21:14
my mother said I was forbidden to go on the back of a bike, so I didn't, I learned to ride instead..

mathornet
22nd June 2009, 22:02
what you can do as a 19 year old is dat u give them positive points about a bike.. e.g. "mum do u know that bikes save petrol? you spend about $100 on a car for a full tank and i only spend about $20 only..." if mum replies.. "what if it rains?" u just said "i'll just wear a jacket..":buggerd:mum says"BIKES ARE DANGEROUS ! THEY CAN KILL YOU!" you say
"bikes are dangerous mum.. but any1 can die.. its fate... even i could die right now if i'm walking in the streets and a drunk guy just hits me with his car mum"

so overall everything is dangerous (even a car) but every1 will try to make the danger minimal.. so my point is getting a bike or car same thing.. but for your age i would get a bike.. cuz you don't wanna spend to much on petrol..
guess what? i'm 16 working in MCdonalds.. haha.. so my time now is to save up for uni since i already got a bike..

allycatz
25th June 2009, 15:30
Hey your Mums concerns are only natural. Be grateful she cares enough to worry. After my 17 year old daughter died, I ranted and raved something awful about other kids getting their car licences. Eventually I learnt I couldn't wrap them all in cotton wool. Just do it the right way, take any safety courses offered and let her know you are being responsible about it. Funny thing is, now I'm learning to ride they(kids) all rant and rave at me instead

Mom
25th June 2009, 18:51
Are you sure? No your`e right , it was someone else I was talking to.

I am fairly certain vifferman has died about 10 times since I have been a member here.

NOWOOL
26th June 2009, 14:58
I wouldn't discount a mother's view of biking......not everyone should ride a bike......if they are wanting in safety in other factors of life then the shouldn't ride a bike. Otherwise the laws of nature will weed them out.

greminn
26th June 2009, 18:54
Dude! Grow some and move out!

Yea.. i know that that can be harder in certain situations and you may be in one.. but get out there!

ynot slow
26th June 2009, 21:37
Haha similar to me when I was 17 or so,said I wouldn't mind a bike,we lived semi-rural area and neighbours all had ts185,dt175 etc and we used to pootle up the road and paddocks.

Dad said yep as long as it is less than 100cc,I said cool it's 80cc,a ts80 1975,this was in 1978 or so.Then waited till I bought a 1973 ts185 in 1979,passed all tests for license and all good.

kudos@xtra.co.nz
2nd July 2009, 12:46
you cannot win this one. You will fall off and she will be proved right. My son bought his first bike with my blessing (I ride of course) and he fell off and damaged his hand. He still rides and loves every minute. Has his mother forgiven him or me for getting a bike. No. Will she ever approve. No. Does she care if I fall off. No.

Your mother loves you and cares about you. That's nice.
Best you can do is grow up become an independent adult and make your own decisions. Buy the best gear you can, always wear it, get rider training, knock your socks off on the track and not on the road and even then your mother will not approve. That's what mothers do.

ManDownUnder
2nd July 2009, 12:52
It's a dangerous pasttime and statistically the odds are you'll die.

You're saying there's a greater than 50% chance motorcyling will kill me????

Swoop
2nd July 2009, 13:03
I'm sure that a certain member here will be along soon to <STRIKE>prove</STRIKE> say it is the biker at fault 100% of the time.:blink:

Supermac Jr
2nd July 2009, 16:08
I'm sure that a certain member here will be along soon to <STRIKE>prove</STRIKE> say it is the biker at fault 100% of the time.:blink: you can be eleventy percent sure that it will be a member:laugh:

Ixion
2nd July 2009, 16:17
You're saying there's a greater than 50% chance motorcyling will kill me????

technically I'm saying thats there's a > 50% chance you'll die.

ManDownUnder
2nd July 2009, 17:07
technically I'm saying thats there's a > 50% chance you'll die.

Bugger...

What about taxes...?

Fred Dagg
5th July 2009, 20:13
When I was 15, my mum had no choice but to except the fact that her youngest wanted to own a motorbike, since her two older brothers had them!! They even loaned the money...:scooter:
Funny how 25 years later, she feels the need to be anti-motorbikes!
Hell, apparently these days, I can leave my son at home, drive/walk to the shops in 5 mins and something bad can happen to me??!!
Well, total respect to her, but her nearly 8yr old is keen on motox, her now 40yr old wants to ride again - Majority Rules :woohoo::Punk:

MaxCannon
5th July 2009, 21:57
When I was at home bikes were a no go zone.

Dad lost some teeth from coming of his.
Several of his friends died on theirs.
My uncle has limited movement in his wrist from an accident on his.

After years of brainwashing I was convinced I didn't need a bike.

Then I decided to get one - knowing full well my Mother would freak out.
Funilly enough she couldn't care less when I turned up at their place on it.

It did help that I was 29 and not 19 and I hadn't lived at home for almost a decade.