PDA

View Full Version : New to the site

jaybee180
23rd March 2005, 22:42
Hi everyone.

Am new to this so any help would be appreciated. Have just bought my bike and am looking for the right gear to buy. Want leathers but any recommendations would be appreciated. Seems the sales people all have their own agendas so I :banana: :banana: would rather get advice from people who have "been there and done that."

Anyone who has good gear for sale, female, small size, please let me know.

Thanks

250learna
23rd March 2005, 23:10
check trademe, there are some leather jackets on trade me dat look good and are farily priced!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Clothing-footwear/Leathers-jackets/auction-24188438.htm

if dats not you, theres plenty of other stuff there

Mr Skid
23rd March 2005, 23:24
Hi everyone.

Am new to this so any help would be appreciated. Have just bought my bike and am looking for the right gear to buy. Want leathers but any recommendations would be appreciated. Seems the sales people all have their own agendas so I :banana: :banana: would rather get advice from people who have "been there and done that."

Anyone who has good gear for sale, female, small size, please let me know.

ThanksI take it you've had a search through some previous threads and read some of the opinions there. Rather than rehashing what's been said before, could you give us some idea of what your looking at doing with your bike?

For instance, whether you intend using the bike for commuting, touring, group rides, track days etc, and whether you intend to be a fair weather rider, or a 'die hard' ride in any weather sort.

Also, have you any thoughts as to where you want to go with bikes? Such as getting into insanely fast sports bikes, shiny looking crusiers, sport tourers etc.

jaybee180
24th March 2005, 17:31
Eventually want to get into speedy sports bikes. Have learnt that I'm a bit of a speed freak (which is probably not a good thing). Am having lots of fun though.

Have tried to read as much about the gear as I can and think leather is the best way to go. But don't really understand about soft armour and hard armour etc. Will eventually be riding in all sorts of weather but will hold off on that one until I get more confident. Hopefully there'll be no stopping me once that happens. Want to be comfortable in the gear so it can't be too heavy as I'm pretty light.

MSTRS
24th March 2005, 17:35
Leather is best IMO. If it is to do the job properly tho, it will be quite heavy. Get good boots & gloves too. These can all be secondhand if price is an issue. You are best to buy helmet new. Welcome to the zoo.

Waylander
24th March 2005, 17:41
Leather is definatly your best bet for the moment though it will be a bit heavy. Won't take long to get used to the wieght though, after that you won't feel it. Enjoy your riding and be sure to sign up for the Waikato Rally. Welcome to the site:2thumbsup :drinknsin

jaybee180
24th March 2005, 18:05
Thanks for the welcome. Am going shopping again next week so I'll do the rounds again. Bought a new Shoei X-Spirit helmet so at least the fat head is safe (for the time being). Cost a bomb but got a pretty good deal from the Red Baron in Auckland if anyone is interested.

Joni
24th March 2005, 18:26
Sorry a slightly delayed welcome....

Enjoy!
:niceone:

Mr Skid
24th March 2005, 21:32
Eventually want to get into speedy sports bikes. Have learnt that I'm a bit of a speed freak (which is probably not a good thing). Am having lots of fun though.

Have tried to read as much about the gear as I can and think leather is the best way to go. But don't really understand about soft armour and hard armour etc. Will eventually be riding in all sorts of weather but will hold off on that one until I get more confident. Hopefully there'll be no stopping me once that happens. Want to be comfortable in the gear so it can't be too heavy as I'm pretty light.

As everybody else have said, leather is the probably the way to go. As it's not waterproof (unless treated with snoseal or something similar). You could then team that with a waterproof oversuit for riding in the rain.

There's been a debate over soft v. hard armour somewhere on the site, but as long as it meets CE specifications, I don't think it really matters how it does the job.

The next question most people ask about leathers is one piece or two piece. I've got a two piece, and can take the jacket off when I stop, or can team it with a set of draggin jeans when riding around town.

So a two piece is more versatile in that sense, although on a one piece you aren't relying on a zip at the waist to hold the pants and jacket together if you decide to road test them. So they are safer, but for most riders, I think the convenience factor outweighs the safety factor.

jazbug5
24th March 2005, 21:39
Welcome!

Well, textiles do lack that 'grrrrrooowwwlll' factor.
But (boringly, I know) they do keep you warm and dry. And in my one or *cough* three offs, they've protected me just fine. I know people who will never return to wearing leathers; maybe it partly depends on what sort of distances & weather (as mentioned) you have in mind...
Oh, and wear the braces that come with the pants of whichever sort you get. Might prevent you from getting attractive needlework on your hips like I got..!

Biff
25th March 2005, 00:15
Welcome :2thumbsup

Leather - Looks good and offers superior protection. Make sure it's armoured in the right places.
Cordura - Cheaper, good protection but not as good as leather.

If you cant afford good gear, get a cheaper bike. It's worth it.

Good boots - protection at the heels and shins if possible. Look for ones with a good sole crush score (PM me if you want me to send you a recent boot review).

Good gloves - Leather. Extra bits on the palms. Kangaroo skin is rated as the best. Armoured fingers n knuckles if possible. Extra bonus is that they help score more 'ouch' points when punching stupid car (cage) drivers.

and what Paparazzi and co said :niceone:

Sniper
25th March 2005, 07:44
Hey there, and welcome to our land of happy places, LOL.

Skunk
25th March 2005, 10:29
I've got Leather and Cordura gear.

Leather I use in fine weather to and from work or for a quick (ok, I'm not quick) blat. If you're going to be a trackday junkie get one piece, otherwise zip together two piece.

Cordura is great for touring -whatever the weather changes to it's ready.

Boots and gloves are way more important the most gives them credit for. Get the best you can.

My $2.60 (was 5 cents worth, but I added to what I wrote)

PSYCHO
25th March 2005, 14:49
Welcome aboard

FEINT
26th March 2005, 08:12
Welcome to the site :niceone:

My girlfriend has just gotten in to biking as well and she has bought cordura for all round riding and leather for the "weekend". We got them of Wildcat_lgf in the "for sale" section of the forum. THe main problem she has with buying gear is sizing. Most of the items are quite a bit larger.

Remember to make sure the armour is in the right places and the gear isn't too lose. As Biff Baff said foot armour is very important.

Enjoy your riding!

XTC
26th March 2005, 08:18
Welcome JB. Waikato eh?? Mmmm some of us up here in franklin think of us a s being north waikato rather than auckland (probably cause the blues can't play rugby.....) Go cheif's is all I can say.
Go to some local shops and try on some different gear and see what you prefer. It all comes down to what you like in the end. Good luck and if you see a blue XT cruisin down your wat - wave! :)

250learna
27th March 2005, 00:55
"Helmet should be a snug fit" - Road code 2005 :msn-wink:
Sorry this is all i know

wari
29th March 2005, 12:55
HOwid you sneekin withowt da ==> :moon:

OH yeah ... you owe me a beer .. :apint: ..

:spudwave: ... wellcome ... :wari:

magnum
6th April 2005, 17:02
hi and welcome,trade me or ebay. :ride:

woody68
6th April 2005, 18:29
Hi.
Bay city motorcycles have had a special on leather jackets $250 I got my one from there and it's been bloody good. :niceone:
Was out in the bad weather at easter and it was dry after an hours riding in heavy rain.
Nice heavy leather too. :Punk: