PDA

View Full Version : ZIRTC on tardme

HenryDorsetCase
22nd June 2009, 13:00
Yeeeeeeee haw.

nice price, but awesome bike. and low mileage (all done 1/4 mile at a time no doubt!)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-225850157.htm

Coool as.

i stole one of the guy's photos for those of you with tardme blocked at work.

White trash
22nd June 2009, 13:29
A bit surprized Crasherfromwayback hasn't got dibs on that yet.

Where ya at Pete?!

vifferman
22nd June 2009, 13:30
You'd think if the guy was serious about selling it (especially at tht price -which could buy some pretty awesome and newer bikes), he'd put a bit more effort into the ad. A one-line, ALL CAPS description is pretty crappy.

YellowDog
22nd June 2009, 13:49
You'd think if the guy was serious about selling it (especially at tht price -which could buy some pretty awesome and newer bikes), he'd put a bit more effort into the ad. A one-line, ALL CAPS description is pretty crappy.
Yes I do agree. He says that the pictures say it all!

An old 1000cc bike with a Turbo that would have been the best of the best once upon a time, is not at all appealing at $24k.

Those skinny tyres don't inspire road holding confidence and the design isn't exactly a classic.

$24k would buy you a very quick modern bike that would be less likely to kill you whilst taking bends.

CookMySock
22nd June 2009, 13:49
LOL 24K?? WTF?

Steve

White trash
22nd June 2009, 13:52
You're all on drugs. Clearly.

An iconic bike that was produced in VERY small numbers, the majority of which have probably been destroyed, in that condition is EASILY worth $24K imho.

Where the fuck do I sign?

Eurodave
22nd June 2009, 14:41
LOL I remember dribbling over these when they were brand new @ Norjos down Riccarton Rd
At that time I owned a Z1-R

MIXONE
22nd June 2009, 14:47
I raced one over the Kaimais one time.
Hang on let me rephrase that .Once while travelling over the Kaimais, at what I considered to be considerable speed ,one flashed past me and disappeared in the direction of Tauranga!

xwhatsit
22nd June 2009, 15:25
Those skinny tyres don't inspire road holding confidence and the design isn't exactly a classic.
What?!?!

The Zed is probably one of the most famous shapes of the 70s. Dead sexy, that tail especially. Not as nice a shape as the 750/900SS, but compared to the CBs they are horn.

As for skinny tyres... do you know what a tangent is?

HenryDorsetCase
22nd June 2009, 17:08

An old 1000cc bike with a Turbo that would have been the best of the best once upon a time, is not at all appealing at $24k.

$24k would buy you a very quick modern bike that would be less likely to kill you whilst taking bends.

You've totally missed the point. And I think most would agree that by any definition this is a classic bike. the price reflects condition and rarity.

elevenhundred
22nd June 2009, 17:20
How often would you see a bike like this in the condition it's in, I'd rather have this than just be another GSXR/CBR thou etc rider.
Shame on the seller for not catering for the online tyre kickers :)

toycollector10
22nd June 2009, 17:34
I recently saw a stock 1973 Z1 sell for $33,000 NZD on Evil bay dot co dot UK.

At $24,000 NZD it's good buying at that price. There's an international market for that model. Good luck to him.

dangerous
22nd June 2009, 17:51

$24k would buy you a very quick modern bike that would be less likely to kill you whilst taking bends.umm as others have said, its not about value for money, tyres, road holding confidence, design or modern... its simpily about what it stands for in the history of motorbikes.

ps: the bikes T.W.R's bosses

T.W.R
22nd June 2009, 19:07
ps: the bikes T.W.R's bosses

:lol: It is/was (ex Boss that is :whistle:). I can have as a guess what he's selling it for :doh: bloody great hulking yank tank muscle car :pinch:

Least if it sells it'll go somewhere worthwhile. But it has got issues due to not being used, Turbo seals being one of them. The boost gauge doesn't work so god knows what pressure it's running at???
Does go OK when going which is once in a blue moon, It's the ultimate pig to get going too.

It was in BRM (April issue, pages 68-70) though Swannie waffled more tripe than good.

It came from the collection of bikes on display at Keri Keri and prior to that had resided in a private collection in Melbourne

T.W.R
22nd June 2009, 19:19

They were a design exercise between Kawasaki America & ATP. This one is a Black Molly Edition 1/250 of (250 were produced in standard Z1-R crystal blue) which was to help sales by Molly Graphics (hence Black Molly) and a grand total of 500 genuine ATP produced Z1-R TCs ; More common here in NZ were the kits sent by Kawasaki to spruce up standard Z1-Rs.

Still hold a world record for 1/4mile :whistle: PeeWee Gleeson holds the record for the fastest 1/4 whilst sitting backwards on one of these :wacko:

The whole package isn't about inspiring confidence, it's the/was epitome of the late 70s power race in a rubber frame with shit brakes :2thumbsup a thrill every second

Voltaire
22nd June 2009, 19:20
The Z1R is a design classic.
The turbo is just an oddity like the Suzuki rotary, CBX 1000's and Z1300's.
Well thats how I remember them in the early 80's....how times change...
24K....gasp.

Dodgyiti
23rd June 2009, 07:10
I like the idea, and the look. But his market is not here, it is the USA or UK.
I'm not convinced a Kiwi will pay more than 18k for it. Nice to keep these things in the country, but I see a lot of rare bikes being snapped up by Aussies, one in particular is snapping up all our Nortons at the moment.
Shame really.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd June 2009, 09:53
look at the toys* that are being sold at the moment. the recession is biting in some sectors at least.

I'm not convinced he will get what he wants for it either, but if not, presumably it gets parked up, and wait till the market comes back UNLESS he needs the cash in which case, sold for a lot less than its "worth". though of course in those circumstances its exactly what it is worth because the market has set the price.

Meh, I'd have it in a heartbeat.

*cars and bikes

speedpro
29th June 2009, 20:47
These things were the base for some seriously quick bikes. I'm thinking Jimmy Steadman and John Faithful when they were both at Woodbourne and bored and had way too much money to spend. Both ended up being good for 300Kmh or so back in the very early '80s.

98tls
29th June 2009, 20:53
I called in awhile back to say gidday to Bill and whilst there took the chance to throw a leg over that beast,it is truely mint and if i had the spare $ would have a crack at buying it myself,actually theres a ute out in the garage that doesnt get much use........................:innocent:

T.W.R
30th June 2009, 08:17
:laugh: The ute gets used a fair bit, its the XBGT that has very rare excursions; both a pretty nice beasts :niceone:

Though myself I'd be inclined to buy this beast before the TC

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=226598962

:drool::drool::love:

nudemetalz
1st July 2009, 14:38
That is nice, Bill !!!

Still thought that the RC ones were the nicest looking with the full fairing.

Crasherfromwayback
1st July 2009, 15:20
A bit surprized Crasherfromwayback hasn't got dibs on that yet.

Where ya at Pete?!

I'm here mate don't worry. If I had the coin...I'd own it. Still rather have it in sky blue!

I blew mine to pieces often enough to know how to get them well sorted now anyway. Right...off to the local lotto shop!

Still kicking myself for selling mine.:love:

dangerous
1st July 2009, 18:08
Still kicking myself for selling mine.:love: as i am with my 500TC, droped the xn85 into the shop the other week, for the finel touchs before it rips into life after 11yrs, and did ya see that gpz750 turb a couple a weeks back... hubba hubba

ps love speedpros mackentosh z1000 TC

scumdog
1st July 2009, 18:11
as i am with my 500TC, droped the xn85 into the shop the other week, for the finel touchs before it rips into life after 11yrs, and did ya see that gpz750 turb a couple a weeks back... hubba hubba

ps love speedpros mackentosh z1000 TC

About time the XN 'ripped into life' eh D. - would be nice to have it going for this coming summers rallies.:soon:

scumdog
1st July 2009, 18:14
LOL 24K?? WTF?

Steve

Yeah.
24K.

It's a rare classic - not a modern 'depreciate-by-the-second' bike.

Crasherfromwayback
1st July 2009, 18:24
They were a design exercise between Kawasaki America & ATP. This one is a Black Molly Edition 1/250 of (250 were produced in standard Z1-R crystal blue) which was to help sales by Molly Graphics (hence Black Molly) and a grand total of 500 genuine ATP produced Z1-R TCs ; More common here in NZ were the kits sent by Kawasaki to spruce up standard Z1-Rs.

Still hold a world record for 1/4mile :whistle: PeeWee Gleeson holds the record for the fastest 1/4 whilst sitting backwards on one of these :wacko:

The whole package isn't about inspiring confidence, it's the/was epitome of the late 70s power race in a rubber frame with shit brakes :2thumbsup a thrill every second

I think there may well have been 500 blue ones made...and seeing as they sold out so quickly..they then made the black beast as a 1980 model (even though they were still mk1 Z1r's with the round rocker cover...rather than the Z1R mk11 with the square rocker cover)...think they mad 1000 of them. They were only sold in USA, South Africa, the Uk and here.