PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Mk.IX -- laminated glass

xwhatsit
24th June 2009, 13:18
Hullo,

Picked up this old set of Stadium Mk.9s cheap as, just to pinch the nose-bridge screw (my nice pair was missing it).

Anyhow, these new ones are really nice goggles, the stitching is good and tight (my other ones leak a bit of air around the top because the stitching is loose), the leather around the face is nice and soft and comfy. The only issue with them is that the laminated glass is, er, de-laminating. It's fine straight ahead but peripheral vision is not great.

It'd be a shame to chuck them out because of this. Is there any way to fix this? Bit of heat? Peel the laminate off entirely? Or has anybody got a pair of lenses from a stuffed pair? I see Halcyon (http://www.classicpartsltd.com/replacements.htm), who seem to have acquired the old patents and designs from Stadium (they've got the little Patent text under the lens, just like the Stadiums), offer spare parts, but at £26 plus shipping I'm not quite that keen.

Motu
24th June 2009, 17:57
The laminate is between the two layers of glass.If you can get the lenses out,then some new ones could be cut out of suitable laminated glass and refitted.The fact it's laminated is the safety aspect,just like windscreens.Finding a glass worker prepared to do such fiddly work could be a problem.

There was a glass place on the corner of Pah and Mt Albert Rds - the guy there was really good for all sorts of things.He rebuilt my C Melody sax for a fraction of what it should have cost,just because he thought it should be working again.No one else would touch it.

xwhatsit
24th June 2009, 19:55
I didn't know you played, Paul. You are talking about a C-melody saxophone and not something obscure?

The shop is still there, I remember being fascinated with it when I was about 5 years old. It still looks like a neat place, all the little samples lined up on shelves. Having new lenses fitted would be almost as much as buying those new lenses from Halcyon.

I popped the lenses out; there's that rubber ring around the edge, looks like it'd be easy to replace the lenses as long as I could get the pieces cut.

Ah well.

Pinstripe
25th June 2009, 09:46
Nice goggles, I have a pair of Halcyon Mk9 Racing myself.
Might just have to bite the bullet and get new lenses made, polycarbonate maybe, they'd no doubt be safer at least.