PDA

View Full Version : Computer clock

Mom
24th June 2009, 17:39
Ok, you wonderfully clever people, why is my PC clock running slow? It tells me that it is now 5:14pm. What a liar!

Ocean1
24th June 2009, 17:50
Typical bloody woman, bet you haven't wound it up since you got it.

steve_t
24th June 2009, 18:07
When u update the time, does it start running slow again in a short space of time? If so, replace your CMOS battery :yes:

Mom
24th June 2009, 18:32
Typical bloody woman, bet you haven't wound it up since you got it.

Gee you are cute :sunny:

When u update the time, does it start running slow again in a short space of time? If so, replace your CMOS battery :yes:

I dont update the time, I dont touch it. It changes itself at DST change and that is that. The computer is left on 24/7 most of the time. This happened a while back, I was going to ask then, but it regained the time and I thought all was sweet as. Today it is wrong again. This posted at 6:06 according the this porky telling beast.

WarlockNZ
24th June 2009, 18:36
have to agree with steve, your computer should update it's time from the internet, but if it's running slow, then the cmos battery is probably at fault.

you need a CR2032, its a 3v button battery and lives on the mother board, costs about $5.

be careful when you replace it tho ... it's easy to rip the socket off the board.

Kiwi Graham
24th June 2009, 18:41
mine says 18:41 ;)

nallac
24th June 2009, 18:55
mine says 18:41 ;)

geez yours is slow mine says 6.55pm

Mom
24th June 2009, 18:55
have to agree with steve, your computer should update it's time from the internet, but if it's running slow, then the cmos battery is probably at fault.

you need a CR2032, its a 3v button battery and lives on the mother board, costs about $5.

be careful when you replace it tho ... it's easy to rip the socket off the board.

Oh ha ha ha Mr M.. the chances of me even opening the scarey computer case thing is zero. You lot are not teasing me eh? There really is a battery in there?

WarlockNZ
24th June 2009, 18:57
Oh ha ha ha Mr M.. the chances of me even opening the scarey computer case thing is zero. You lot are not teasing me eh? There really is a battery in there?

Yep ... there really is :) . ha ha

time to get the hands dirty, or get the man to get his hands dirty :P

hayd3n
24th June 2009, 19:02

yes there is a battery in there and give it a vacuum as well (pc unplugged) vacuum everything!!
the battery keeps the time when your puta is off

Mom
24th June 2009, 19:03
Yep ... there really is :) . ha ha

time to get the hands dirty, or get the man to get his hands dirty :P

Look I know the thing is dusty, but dirty? Maha would be less inclined than me to have a crack at changing a battery we dont know anything about inside the box of wires and bits...LOL

You guys are so cool. Thanks.

Mom
24th June 2009, 19:05
yes there is a battery in there and give it a vacuum as well (pc unplugged) vacuum everything!!
the battery keeps the time when your puta is off

Apparently mine does not even keep time with the PC left on. The very lovely and wonderful Warlock has offered to come and administer some first aid to my old bomb of a PC.

WarlockNZ
24th June 2009, 19:08
Apparently mine does not even keep time with the PC left on. The very lovely and wonderful Warlock has offered to come and administer some first aid to my old bomb of a PC.

I am the answer guy :) ... in the mean time .. you can update your clock by doing the following.

click start
click run
in the black box type net time /set /y and press enter

that should sync the clock with the time server that's registered on the system.

steve_t
24th June 2009, 19:26
Or you can just double click on the time in the system tray and manually set the time (and date) ;)

Gremlin
24th June 2009, 19:32
Yeh, mom, if you're unsure about computers, please don't open it up. Rather let someone who knows that they are doing open it up and work on it.

The computer should update time automatically, from the internet, from time servers, but sometimes the machine may not be able to connect to them etc. As people have said, if its constantly out, then you may need to replace the battery. Yes, there is one, but its quite small.

I see Warlock has volunteered... have a vaccuum handy :yes:

xwhatsit
24th June 2009, 20:10
Is the Turbo button on or off? ^^

Mom
24th June 2009, 20:14
Is the Turbo button on or off? ^^

You guys are having a laugh eh? LOL. Turbo button?

Edbear
24th June 2009, 20:29
You guys are having a laugh eh? LOL. Turbo button?

He's showing his age...;) My first PC actually had a button marked 'Turbo'! It was a Pentium 100 with a blindingly fast 8x CD ROM... :gob: Oh, and the latest dot-matrix printer, too!

steve_t
24th June 2009, 20:41
Pshh.... first PC a pentium? You are young :yes: How about those 386's or 486's? I still remember Commodore 64 with tape drive! And Atari and Amstrad computers. Oh yeah, I remember being at primary school and playing on an Apple IIe with a "Logo" the turtle. It was a triangle on the screen. You'd tell it to go forward 2 squares and it would move up and draw a line. Turn right. forward 2 squares.... you could draw a square or a rectangle.... cutting edge :crazy:

Blackshear
24th June 2009, 20:52
He's showing his age...;) My first PC actually had a button marked 'Turbo'! It was a Pentium 100 with a blindingly fast 8x CD ROM... :gob: Oh, and the latest dot-matrix printer, too!

Nostalgia, holy shit.
My case was made out of steel, too. None of this aluminium. Oh, and yellowing plastic, too.
1.2GB HDD, 8x CD ROM and a 3 1/2 floppy. Integrated graphics (WHOA) and something like 32MB of RAM. She was a fast bitch.

I'd advise against vacuuming, in the worry of static electricity, but that's just me. It's more thorough to take everything out and air compressor the fuck outta everything, also a paintbrush.

Edbear
24th June 2009, 21:00
Pshh.... first PC a pentium? You are young :yes: How about those 386's or 486's? I still remember Commodore 64 with tape drive! And Atari and Amstrad computers. Oh yeah, I remember being at primary school and playing on an Apple IIe with a "Logo" the turtle. It was a triangle on the screen. You'd tell it to go forward 2 squares and it would move up and draw a line. Turn right. forward 2 squares.... you could draw a square or a rectangle.... cutting edge :crazy:

I was a late starter... :bye: At Primary School we had pencils and progressed to dip-pens and inkwells, before getting real Fountain Pens! The office copier was a Gestetner and the school bus was a Daimler with the pre-select Wilson gearbox, (driven by my mother). Telephones were crank-handle on party-lines and heaters were an optional extra in cars. Computers? They were those Government things the size of a shed, but I only heard about them at College.

We didn't have word-processors, we had typewriters, non-electric of course.

Fred Ladd was flying Grumman Widgens from Sandspit...
And sixty miles per hour was fast...

=cJ=
24th June 2009, 21:14
Umm, don't do the vaccum thiung aye. Vaccum cleaner = heaps of static = dead componentry....

Don't ask how I know, but lets say I went through a couple of graphics cards before I found that wee chestnut out...

steve_t
24th June 2009, 21:15
Oh sorry, my bad. I missed out on dipping pens in ink wells... but the desks had holes for the wells still.
I still remember when my phone number was 5 digits long... but no crank handle ones sorry :gob:

Maha
24th June 2009, 21:20
I was a late starter... :bye: At Primary School we had pencils and progressed to dip-pens and inkwells, before getting real Fountain Pens! The office copier was a Gestetner and the school bus was a Daimler with the pre-select Wilson gearbox, (driven by my mother). Telephones were crank-handle on party-lines and heaters were an optional extra in cars. Computers? They were those Government things the size of a shed, but I only heard about them at College.

We didn't have word-processors, we had typewriters, non-electric of course.

Fred Ladd was flying Grumman Widgens from Sandspit...
And sixty miles per hour was fast...

Fountain pens!! now theres a lost...........um, lost thing?
I remember using an Abacas, well being taught how they worked, not really using it for school work. Remember those rubbers in two halves white and coarse grey bit? Carbon paper which was replaced with NCR??

Wow way off topic here...as you were.

phaedrus
24th June 2009, 21:21
Ok, you wonderfully clever people, why is my PC clock running slow? It tells me that it is now 5:14pm. What a liar!

computer clocks are inaccurate. regular NTP updates are the way to go.

Mom
24th June 2009, 21:39

Once a long time ago I learned to write basic on a Commodore 64. Far out. It was amazing at the time....LOL

Oh sorry, my bad. I missed out on dipping pens in ink wells... but the desks had holes for the wells still.
I still remember when my phone number was 5 digits long... but no crank handle ones sorry :gob:

Hah! I beat you! When I first moved up here from Auckland we had a party line, complete with crank handle call to the exchange to make a call. Serious! You cranked this handle on the side of a big black box and the operator (once she had finished overhearing the call she place prior to yours) answered and asked who you wanted to call.

If I remember ours was an S number, had three short rings?

Edbear
24th June 2009, 21:45

5 digits? I think our old number was 9-5-K or something like that, anyway you wound the crank and the operator, always a woman, would say, "Number please!". Of course you had to pick up the ear-piece first and see if the line was free before you wound the handle otherwise it would really bug anyone already on the line... :pinch:

Fountain pens!! now theres a lost...........um, lost thing?
I remember using an Abacas, well being taught how they worked, not really using it for school work. Remember those rubbers in two halves white and coarse grey bit? Carbon paper which was replaced with NCR??

Wow way off topic here...as you were.

Yeah I remember getting those new-fangled rubbers, that was when they really were, "rubbers" not plastic. And I did manage to understand the Abacus, surprisingly...:wacko:

Yeah, sorry, off-topic... My clock's fine... :yes:

hayd3n
24th June 2009, 21:46
Umm, don't do the vaccum thiung aye. Vaccum cleaner = heaps of static = dead componentry....

Don't ask how I know, but lets say I went through a couple of graphics cards before I found that wee chestnut out...

ive never had a problem and my old 486 that i gave my grandad still goes!!!!!!

Mom
24th June 2009, 21:48
"Number please!". Of course you had to pick up the ear-piece first and see if the line was free before you wound the handle otherwise it would really bug anyone already on the line... :pinch:
Yeah, sorry, off-topic... My clock's fine... :yes:

:gob: We must be of a similar vintage! The black thingy that hung on the side you put to your ear! That was far too long ago to even comtemplate. Worst of all it was not actually that long ago. I remember this in 1978 :pinch:

Edbear
24th June 2009, 21:57
ive never had a problem and my old 486 that i gave my grandad still goes!!!!!!

A mate of mine has his old DOS with a 5" floppy drive that still works!

:gob: We must be of a similar vintage! The black thingy that hung on the side you put to your ear! That was far too long ago to even comtemplate. Worst of all it was not actually that long ago. I remember this in 1978 :pinch:

Ah, '78, I'd been married a year and we had a '54 Hillman Minx and listened to BoneyM on the tape deck! :woohoo:

NewRob
24th June 2009, 22:31
In your PC there is a small battery, same as to a watch battery. It's time to be replace. Than you can set your time and it will keep up to your up-dated time, Cheers

peasea
24th June 2009, 22:36

You're a fast woman?