PDA

View Full Version : 2006 zx10r

slowpoke
24th June 2009, 20:32
I've been at a bit of a loss ever since trashing my old R1 earlier in the year: what, if anything, do I replace it with.

I've still got a CBR1000RR for track thrills and road riding seems increasingly devoid of fun in comparison especially with my wee incident still in near memory. All the same, I can't get to the track as often as I'd like due to work commitments so I'm thinking that some responsible sports riding is better than nothing so when I do make it to the track my riding is only surface rusty rather than corroded to the core.

But what to buy? My budget initially started at $10k but that was soon stretched thanks to my prettier half tiring of my groans of frustration and endless bleating (sounds like a typical horny Saturday night now that I think about it...) and a whole new realm of possibilites opened up.

Cutting to the chase, I always thought Kawasaki's were a bit, I dunno, unsorted I suppose.....raw....rough around the edges....not quite up to the mark.....hard work etc etc. And I absolutely fuggin' hated the arse end on the 06 ZX10R's with that wheel barrow handle look to the pipes. How could Ducati (748-998), Yamaha (04/5 R1) get it so right and Kawasaki get it so bloody wrong? Yup, loathed it with a passion....until I saw the first pics of Akrapovics makeover with the twin carbon cans...forget "pretty", forget "elegant", it just looked brutal and business like.....and I loved it.

So when I spied one for sale with a set already installed, and nearly within my budget I just had to see if my preconceptions were right. It was the black/flamed limited edition thang that wasn't really to my taste, but it was in good nick although didn't have a PC111 fitted to really maximise the full exhaust system that had been fitted.

The first thing I noticed when sitting on it was the screen is loooooow. I'm just over 6' when I stand up straight to peek down a chicky-babe's top and was peering at the speedo through the screen unless I ducked my head. No biggeee, the instruments were still easily legible, but you'd wanna be careful when fitting a a tinted screen. And comfy, you could easily tour in relative comfort, the low screen actually helps the wind blast suppport your body. It's no Pan-European but you won't be crippled after a day's riding either.

Aaaah fuggit, who am I kiddin' with the extraneous crap....the thing was a HOOT! I seriously was not prepared for just how much fun it would be. The pipes sounded magnificent, stereo crackling on the overun, and even without perfect fuelling it just felt incredibly urgent, like it wanted to be somewhere, didn't care where, just anywhere but here. Yup, if you're allergic to horsepower this is not the bike for you, the postie bikes are down aisle 4, sir.

Forget any misconceptions of ill handling beasts either. Sure Stalker Walker and co may have struggled on it at WSBK level but at mere mortal levels of talent a ZX10R is a sweet thing. OK, the front was a bit soft for my liking but it didn't put a foot wrong even over manhole covers mid corner (forget about the skirt, concentrate on the road, fella!).

My only real concern was the brakes. Apart from feeling a bit wooden (fixed with a pad change no doubt) I'm thinkin' one of the discs was slightly warped, with a barely noticeable pulsing at the lever as you pulled to a stop with a quiet oscillating squeal. This wasn't noticeable at normal speeds, just as you came to a halt, but would definitely niggle over time.

All up though I've gotta say it's a helluva bike, with serious attitude. Not "I'm gonna killya!" schoolyard bully attitude, more like the cool slightly offbeat kid at school who no-one wants to mess with but can't quite say why, kinda attitude. If you want European character but are stuck with a Japanese budget take one for a squirt, you might just find yourself grinning inside your helmet. I was.

Oh yeah, I actually rang up to make an offer on it later that day but the bike-monger had knocked off for the day. Later that night I was made an offer to good to refuse on something else....I haven't even ridden it yet.....I hope it's as much fun as that big kwaka was.

Bend-it
25th June 2009, 12:38
Completely agree!!

I've just bought an 2005 zx-10r, which is "meant" (I haven't ridden an 06, so can't say) to have a lighter feel than the 06 and absolutely love it! My "commuter" bike is a Cagiva Raptor 650, and when I test rode an SV1000 and Buell 1125r, I came off missing the feel of my own (350cc deficient) bike...

But when I jumped on the kwaka, it just sang... so I bought it! :)

So yeah, I know what you mean when you say European character on a Jap bike... good writeup, btw!

icekiwi
25th June 2009, 12:42
Go for it...
And if your keen you may be able to prize my 09 10r out of my hands for the right price..

Kflasher
25th June 2009, 12:47
...ZX10R is a sweet thing...

Yes it is, I am hanging on to mine (06) for sure... until I can convince the wife I need another one.

cowpoos
25th June 2009, 18:29
Apart from feeling a bit wooden (fixed with a pad change no doubt) .

I think the go there is zx6r master cylinder??? Ask Quasi..he had the issuse...and I think he sorted it??

DEATH_INC.
25th June 2009, 18:41
I think the go there is zx6r master cylinder??? Ask Quasi..he had the issuse...and I think he sorted it??
Nope, the real answer is in the calipers. late ZX14, concours, or zx6 calipers, or believe it or not, the best are 04 on H***a CBR thou or late cbr 600 calipers. Fit with 4 small spacers and are the shit apparently.

_STAIN_
25th June 2009, 18:53
don't like the mufflers, take em off, I did. if wrists get sore got fix for that too :) wooden brakes just needs someone who knows how to bleed the loop over system or best fit twin braided lines. photo in album. Cheers

Nutter34
25th June 2009, 20:26
I like me ten heaps...

I've ridden several R1's and the riding position doesn't do it for me.
The 06 Blade is ok, better midrange for sure.

BUT

The comfort is very good, specially the seat. The top end of the 10 is awesome too... So much fun.

With a set of SC III's, they handle really well too.

Deaths given all the big fixes for the brakes. I live with mine on the road. They are ok but just... If I did more track days, I'd have had a set of 6 or 14 calipers on by now...

Oh, mine's got a set of gutted 10 cans, 2" shorter than stock... Best sounding litre bike I know of. Several mates rate the sound very highly and they ride different machines...

slowpoke
25th June 2009, 20:41
don't like the mufflers, take em off, I did. if wrists get sore got fix for that too :) wooden brakes just needs someone who knows how to bleed the loop over system or best fit twin braided lines. photo in album. Cheers

Yep, even a single low mount can looks better than the factory effort.

The brake lever was firm enough on the '10 and didn't come back to the bar like the permanently soft feel on my CBR1000RR (despite braided lines, mega bleeding etc) yet the CBR brakes bite considerably harder than the ZX10. I run EBC HH sintered pads on the CBR and it would be interesting to throw a set on the '10.

I couldn't find a decent pic, but I could get used to this especially once the obligatory ditch digger has followed the standard cans into the bin......

Quasievil
25th June 2009, 21:36
Yeah the brakes suck arse after a few laps well they kinda go AWOL, the fix was back then, the ZX6 master cylinder, but as Death pointed out the newer fix is the ZX14 (now they are around)

but definately do it !

JayRacer37
25th June 2009, 21:47
Yep, even a single low mount can looks better than the factory effort.

The brake lever was firm enough on the '10 and didn't come back to the bar like the permanently soft feel on my CBR1000RR (despite braided lines, mega bleeding etc) yet the CBR brakes bite considerably harder than the ZX10. I run EBC HH sintered pads on the CBR and it would be interesting to throw a set on the '10.

So you say you have bought something else instead...what is that!?!

slowpoke
26th June 2009, 09:40
So you say you have bought something else instead...what is that!?!

I'm almost too ashamed to say, it's the one sportsbike that I immediately crossed off my list of possibles 'cos every fukker's got one....let's just say 'Poos would be pleased. Until I saw it I'd narrowed the shortlist down to the ZX10R and and an early Aprilia RSV-R, and was leaning towards the '10 simply because it was local.

It only turned up a couple of days before Rd 2, the weather was shite, and I was too busy getting the 'blade ready to do anything other than fire it up in the shed for a few seconds and now I'm away at work.

I'm hoping I made the right decision..........otherwise you'll be seeing another durrty K7 gixxer in the trading section real soon.

Bend-it
26th June 2009, 10:16
I'm almost too ashamed to say, it's the one sportsbike that I immediately crossed off my list of possibles 'cos every fukker's got one...

Ahahaha!! that's a bad start to your relationship...

Imagine picking a girlfriend because she was good in... errr... say... the kitchen, but is dog ugly so you're worried about showing her off to your friends... That's what you've got! :Punk:

slowpoke
26th June 2009, 13:16
Ahahaha!! that's a bad start to your relationship...

Imagine picking a girlfriend because she was good in... errr... say... the kitchen, but is dog ugly so you're worried about showing her off to your friends... That's what you've got! :Punk:

Haha, yep point taken. I'm sure it's a good bit of gear though, so maybe it's more like having a blonde Playboy bunny on your arm at the Playboy mansion: with every other bugger having the same thing she doesn't seem that special.

JayRacer37
26th June 2009, 17:31
Haha, yep point taken. I'm sure it's a good bit of gear though, so maybe it's more like having a blonde Playboy bunny on your arm at the Playboy mansion: with every other bugger having the same thing she doesn't seem that special.

K7's are very very fun though!

Although..I think you will find that Poos is actually a closet (homo?) Kawasaki fan...

Drew
28th June 2009, 12:36
WAY TO GO BRO, the Gixxer is the shizzle maa nizzle. Faster, lighter, cheaper, and cooler than the ZX. A wise move indeed.

Bend-it
29th June 2009, 21:32
Dunno about cooler...

As for cheaper... What planet are you on?!?!?

Drew
30th June 2009, 06:36
Dunno about cooler...

As for cheaper... What planet are you on?!?!?OK, have a look at Eddy's new ad, selling the WBP K7 for $15,000.

slowpoke
30th June 2009, 09:43
WAY TO GO BRO, the Gixxer is the shizzle maa nizzle. Faster, lighter, cheaper, and cooler than the ZX. A wise move indeed.

Dunno about cooler...

As for cheaper... What planet are you on?!?!?

OK, have a look at Eddy's new ad, selling the WBP K7 for $15,000.

To be fair the WBP bike is an absolute bargain. For what has been spent on it you'd be getting the base road bike for free.

When I was looking GSXR's did seem to be a bit more expensive than 10's, which conveneiently made them easier to rule out, haha. Now there's one parked in the shed...and I'm not quite sure how it happened......

I don't mind the look of the stock '05/6 GSXR exhaust but like the stock exhaust on the '06 ZX10 the '07 GSXR pipes are disgusting, an absolute abomination, but thankfully the previous owner had seen fit to employ the services of Mr Yoshimura to rectify the situation. That was pretty much the clincher for me, I couldn't look at those stock pipes no matter how cheap the fugger was.