PDA

View Full Version : Where to find find GB400/500 parts? Specifically the tank and seats?

keihatsu
25th June 2009, 08:16
I live in the US, and probably most of you know, the GB500 is extremely rare here.

Fortunately, I found one but the seat and tank are a little rough. I can probably restore either one, but if I could find a nice used one I think that would be much better.

Doing searches online, it always seemed to bring me to this KiwiBiker, and I remember hearing that were sold here more years then the two here in the US.

Does anyone have any advice on where I could look to find a spare tank or seat?

Thanks for the help guys!

fridayflash
25th June 2009, 09:34
hi and welcome keihatsu! yes your right- the gb500 and 400 sold
well over here in '87 and '88 whenn a large shipment was off loaded
here cheaply. i have one and i think there are a few other enthusiastic
owners on this site.are you after a single or dual seat? i know a guy
in my area (napier) who had spare seats a few years ago..ill send
him a text and see if theyre still going

CookMySock
25th June 2009, 09:39
Don't send rare spares out of the country because some yank is too lazy to recover his seat.

Steve

keihatsu
25th June 2009, 09:39
Thanks fridayflash for the welcoming!

I am looking for the single seat. Did they have cowls on the bikes that were sold there? I always liked the look of it.

And thanks again for your help!

keihatsu
25th June 2009, 09:42
Don't send rare spares out of the country because some yank is too lazy to recover his seat.

Steve

It's the cowl that I am really most interested in, but that seems very, very hard to find unfortunately.

And the tanks are just as hard to find as well.

Taz
25th June 2009, 09:52
They go for around $300NZD if you can find one......
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Other/auction-222709355.htm

keihatsu
25th June 2009, 10:00
Thanks for that Anthrax, I'll have to check that place more often.

I was kinda bummed I missed that one, if I only picked the bike up earlier. But that's okay. If anything, the bike runs really well, and I'm glad I finally found one.

I've been trying to find one for over a year, and the ones that pop are are usually out of my price range as they were usually in mint condition, but very nice to look at!

Taz
25th June 2009, 10:04
I see there is one on Ebay at the moment $3000 :crazy:

Much better off with one of these....

keihatsu
25th June 2009, 10:12
I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for around $4,500, as I've seen some in the past year that have.

That's a nice looking bike, what is it?

Paulo
25th June 2009, 11:02
Hey It you've got a tank and seat just restore them , Take the tank off get it sandblasted bog it and paint it a colour you like, You can get the deacals on the internet (somewhere) also Only the GB400MK11 had the cowling in NZ and those are rare. you' be better off building your own or getting someone to help you out. Much more satisyfing. Good luck.

keihatsu
25th June 2009, 13:46
Hey It you've got a tank and seat just restore them , Take the tank off get it sandblasted bog it and paint it a colour you like, You can get the deacals on the internet (somewhere) also Only the GB400MK11 had the cowling in NZ and those are rare. you' be better off building your own or getting someone to help you out. Much more satisyfing. Good luck.

Thanks for letting me know about the cowl.

I'll look into restoring the tank and seat. The seat I am not too worried about, it was the cowl I was mainly looking for and thought the cowl was a standard thing in NZ, like it was here. Thanks for clearing that up.

The tank that's currently on it had rust holes along the seams, but was covered up temporarily. So I though it might be better to find a replacement tank. However I'll look into what it takes to repair the tank in it's current condition.

HenryDorsetCase
25th June 2009, 13:48

Steve

what the fuck, dude? A guy asks for help, and information, and you're a dick about it? Fuck off!

Paulo
25th June 2009, 14:14
I see there is one on Ebay at the moment $3000 :crazy:

Much better off with one of these....

if you ever want to sell that Guzzi anthrax, let me know :) (really)

xwhatsit
25th June 2009, 14:26
Does anyone have any advice on where I could look to find a spare tank or seat?
There's Econohonda -- http://www.econohonda.co.nz . They ship overseas all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd have a few bits and bobs lying around. Send him an email, the parts list on the site dates from 2006 or something silly.

Surely it'd be cheaper and more fool-proof just to get a panel-beater to fix up the tank? Taking the dings out and spraying it costs maybe $NZ300 over here... a tank will go for at least that, and then there's the shipping which will be astronomical and it's not likely to be a perfect tank either.

Nearly all the 2nd-hand GB tanks will have the same damage I'm going to guess you have -- when they're dropped, the clip-ons rotate around the fork stanchion and dig into the tank.

CookMySock
25th June 2009, 17:11
what the fuck, dude? A guy asks for help, and information, and you're a dick about it? Fuck off!Uh huh, what he asked for was sources for rare parts. NZ rare parts.

I'll be a dick about it all I like - keep rare spares in NZ. You fuck off.

Steve

Paulo
25th June 2009, 17:21
[QUOTE=DangerousBastard;1129276231]Uh huh, what he asked for was sources for rare parts. NZ rare parts.

Hmmm if "yanks " took that attitude half the classic hot rods old Dodges , Fords and Chevvies in New Zealand wouldnt make it out of the garage. nothing wrong with enthusiastic people helping each other out. What goes around generally comes around.

xwhatsit
25th June 2009, 17:30
GB bits are hardly rare, anyway. Certainly not here or in Japan.

HenryDorsetCase
25th June 2009, 22:22
Uh huh, what he asked for was sources for rare parts. NZ rare parts.

I'll be a dick about it all I like - keep rare spares in NZ. You fuck off.

Steve

Whats next you xenophobe? the "They're over here taking our jobs and our women!". Grow up.

Pinstripe
26th June 2009, 08:29
I'd hardly call GB parts rare either, slightly rare...ish maybe. Econohonda rarely fail me for bits.

While we're on the subject, anybody know where to buy a pair of GB fork boots?

keihatsu
29th June 2009, 09:58
Thanks for the help everyone.

I didn't know how rare the GB400/500 were in NZ, I thought they were common place here compared to the US, which only had them for 2 years, and no one really bought them. Well at least according to the wiki!

From your suggestions, I've looked at a few places around here that would look into repairing the tank and it looks as though I may go down that route. As a few people mentioned, it may end up being a little cheaper that route, and it'll be almost new when finished.

Paulo
3rd July 2009, 13:39
there's a seat cowl and mini fairing here.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Fairing/auction-227802505.htm

bull
6th July 2009, 17:27
Ant the seat cowl only here too from same seller (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Fairing/auction-227802506.htm)

TeamDS4
14th July 2009, 21:11
------------------------