PDA

View Full Version : High beam question

sil3nt
26th June 2009, 18:38
When riding at night do you turn your high beam off for other vehicles? I have noticed that if i turn my high beam off when i see the other vehicles lights around the corner or over the crest they don't do it until i am right next to them and by then i have already been blinded. Leaving the high beams on seems to give the same result but im wondering if my bikes little wee light is blinding other drivers? Can't say i've ever been pissed off by a motorcycles lights at night.

YellowDog
26th June 2009, 18:45
People who don't dip their lights are complete bastards. The Police should fine them for it.

I always dip my light with the exception to this being when it is impossible to see the road on dipped lights.

sil3nt
26th June 2009, 18:50
Honest to god not one car has dipped their lights for me in the two times i have been out riding at night. I always seem to catch them half way around the bend when i find i can't see anything for a second or two which is a little scary!

YellowDog
26th June 2009, 18:59
When people don't dip, you should focus your eyes on a road line and don't look up. That way you can survive the main beam.

When people don't dip or they dip very late, I always go to main beam just before we pass.

wysper
26th June 2009, 19:02
Yep, I always dip my lights.
Most times oncoming vehicles dip for me, some don't, but it is the same when I am in the car. Some don't, most do.

Insanity_rules
26th June 2009, 19:11
I get high beam all the time listening to the sweet engine note of the mighty termignoni pipes................ Oh you mean headlights not nipples right? Oops!

p.dath
26th June 2009, 19:11
Always take my lights off high beam when I see another vehicle. You don't want to blind the driver and cause an accident.

MotoKuzzi
26th June 2009, 19:17
I've been driving for 40 years and I would say that in the last 10-15 there's been a marked deterioration in oncoming drivers dipping from High Beam and at the same time an improvement in lighting quality so that the effect on the other driver is more damaging. Some motorbikes with headlights wrongly adjusted or weighted down in the back can be as bad as cars.

sunhuntin
26th June 2009, 19:23
thats the main reason i avoid riding at night... the number of ignorant drivers who dont seem to give a rats. as a result, i dont often bother to dip mine unless they do first.

Vern
26th June 2009, 19:26
I've been driving for 40 years and I would say that in the last 10-15 there's been a marked deterioration in oncoming drivers dipping from High Beam and at the same time an improvement in lighting quality so that the effect on the other driver is more damaging. Some motorbikes with headlights wrongly adjusted or weighted down in the back can be as bad as cars.
Yeah I have noticed some car headlights that I have thought were on high I have flashed my lights at them then they put there's on high and really dazzle me Vern.

cave weta
26th June 2009, 19:29
at the same time an improvement in lighting quality so that the effect on the other driver is more damaging..

What about all those WRXs and Evos and Pulsar GTIs with "park lights" that have 55watt bulbs in them and whacking great reflectors!!!!
They are classed as park lights but they are as bright as headlights and they show all the time- dip or not!

THEY PISS ME OFF:Police:

CookMySock
26th June 2009, 19:31
When riding at night do you turn your high beam off for other vehicles?Yes, unless my safety is in question, and mostly it's not. As a test, try leaving them on full - you will be shocked how many people don't care.

Can't say i've ever been pissed off by a motorcycles lights at night.Thats because motorbike headlights are gutless and no one fears them. People can be really territorial - I don't like it, but we find workarounds for issues in the world we live in.

I have noticed that if i turn my high beam off when i see the other vehicles lights around the corner or over the crest they don't do it until i am right next to them and by then i have already been blinded. Leaving the high beams on seems to give the same result but im wondering if my bikes little wee light is blinding other drivers? There is a workaround for that. Try it and see if it works for you - if it doesn't then you need a brighter headlight. All you do is leave your headlight on full until they are right in their eyes for one full second ONLY, and then dip them. Yeah, it's a bit cunty, but at least wankers will dip their headlights for you, or else you have to request repeatedly with your pissy lights, and then all you get from people is trouble. Watching someone actually dip their lights seems to trigger them to dip without even realising it.

I've driven commercial vehicles at night for 20 years and 20,000 hours. You have to have bright headlights and be a bit of a jerk with them, or you get trampled, and thats just the way of it. I don't mean zap everyone with them, I just mean let people see you have a weapon and then dip - no problems then.

Steve

MotoKuzzi
26th June 2009, 19:35
I can remember having it drummed into me when I was learning to drive that you must dip your lights for oncoming traffic or you risk causing an accident. I was shit scared not to 'cause we knew most of the other drivers on our roads around Atiamuri in those days.

Winston001
26th June 2009, 19:38
Yes - reluctantly. The Ducati's headlight is......dim. And on Dip....might as well get off and walk with a candle. :shutup:

But I have noticed drivers don't dip for bikes as much as we'd expect.

Knew a guy once who had an aircraft landing light clamped to his right front fairing. If an oncoming car forgot to dip, he'd switch on the lamp :Punk: no worries!

sil3nt
26th June 2009, 19:39
I did do a bit of a test. There was a longish straight with about 2 cars and one truck i thought i would not dip my headlights and see if anyone flashed me. They had plenty of time to do this but no one seemed to care. Perhaps i should stand at the end of my driveway and look into the fullbeam. Fairly sure i can't do that with my car!

nallac
26th June 2009, 19:43
For me it depends where i am, on my daily commute i may dip lights for on coming cars depending on where the corners are, I do dip them for a couple of Blue warning signs aswell,man can they blind you.
In saying that I do need brighter lights, the joy of shift work during winter....

breakaway
26th June 2009, 19:45
I usually pop wheelies at oncoming cars so my headlight isn't that much of an issue for other cars.

MotoKuzzi
26th June 2009, 19:49
Nowadays you risk getting the bash for flashing oncoming vehicles to dip their lights.:shit:

slydesigns
26th June 2009, 20:17
Getting the bash? How? That would mean they managed to slow up, turn around and catch your ass... its called a crotch rocket for a reason... as a pyscho female rider I know loves to say, "drop a gear and disappear!"

CookMySock
26th June 2009, 20:24
i thought i would not dip my headlights and see if anyone flashed me. They had plenty of time to do this but no one seemed to care.Ride around all day with it on full (as a scientific experiment of course!) and see if you get flashed. But you won't, because as you say, you have a pussy headlight. <_<

Even my HID on full (isn't that bright actually) doesn't get flashed. Different story if it was in a H4 housing.

Nowadays you risk getting the bash for flashing oncoming vehicles to dip their lights.:shit:I wouldn't have thought so. You will irritate them though, and they will probably respond. You don't need this on the road. See my earlier post to work around this problem.

Steve

JohnC
26th June 2009, 21:13
I always dip my head light for on coming traffic,usualy well before they do.
I live at the end of a 60km peninsula that is all unlit country road,and I noticed a long time ago that the on comings are slow to dip their lights out here more than on any other type of roads.
It's not only for bikes either,their the same no matter what your on or in.
Just another little "thing" to be aware of,and it doesn't "piss me off" as some choose for their reaction,,,it's just another little thing,nothing more.

newbould
26th June 2009, 22:33
thats the main reason i avoid riding at night... the number of ignorant drivers who dont seem to give a rats. as a result, i dont often bother to dip mine unless they do first.

I love riding at night - no-one knows what size bike I'm on when I come up behind so they slow down and let me go for it! 30 seconds later I hit 100 kph and zooooooooooooom past

And to answer the question - most do dip for me and I always try to remember to dip

sunhuntin
27th June 2009, 09:18
id like to enjoy night riding, but i just cant. i find that im blinded even by dipped lights. horrid. have done wangas to welly one night, and it was the worst trip ever.

HRT
27th June 2009, 10:20
Maybe people don't flick to dip because there are so many bikers riding around on high beam all the time... Even in the day its a cunt

Gibbo13p
27th June 2009, 10:42
I've driven commercial vehicles at night for 20 years and 20,000 hours.

Steve

Wouldn't that be 40,000 hours or so? 2080 hours in working year I thought....
Unless your only driving 6 months of the year....

Gibbo:Punk:

I wait till they see me on full beam then dip, and if they don't I wack the beam back up to warp factor 9...

CookMySock
27th June 2009, 13:21
Wouldn't that be 40,000 hours or so? 2080 hours in working year I thought.... Unless your only driving 6 months of the year....I only work when I feel like it. ;) Though, seriously I hadn't done the maths.

I wait till they see me on full beam then dip, and if they don't I wack the beam back up to warp factor 9...I do the same, but I'll flash them first before I toast them.

Steve

Gibbo13p
27th June 2009, 14:27
:cool: Understand bout the maths I hate it too...

Have flashed before with the pass switch if there far enough away to get the message... hell when I was temping last milk season I'd get f@#$s blinding me in the truck all the time, the scania lights are pretty hash though. The probelm is we are getting older and lights are getting better...like tankers get bigger and tracks seem to get smaller lol

Gibbo